PDA

View Full Version : Missed treasures

matt_ox
08-19-2001, 11:08 PM
What potf item have you seen in a store but didn't pick up, and now is a hot collector item?

I also put my mistake in another forum and this was it: I could have gotten Captain Piett at Wal-mart but I didn't. :(

humsup
08-20-2001, 02:54 AM
I missed out on the Admiral Motti and Leia CTC when its at retail price and now, its like 2 fold from its original price.

AmanaMatt
08-20-2001, 03:38 AM
I passed on two Freeze Frame Weequays that were sitting on a Target shelf at about 4 in the afternoon. I was vaguely aware these were not altogether 'common' at the time; I collect what I like and don't scalp, but , had I know how much this fig would go for on Ebay, I'd have bought both!

Grif
08-20-2001, 08:38 AM
A Han and Taun Taun at KB Toys and all the Max Rebo Band two packs for about 8 bucks each.

master jedi
08-20-2001, 12:29 PM
I once saw a Boushh on a green PotF card and didn't get it 'cause I'm a big moron.

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 12:40 PM
CTC Stormie, Leia and Motti! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

evenflow
08-20-2001, 03:35 PM
FF Sandtrooper. :mad:

bigbarada
08-20-2001, 08:43 PM
Freeze Frame Boba, Sandtrooper and TIE Pilot.

12" Han and TaunTaun

Almost the entire original POTF line for only $0.17 each!!!

stupidstupidstupid!!!

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 01:11 AM
FF Fett, which I saw a bunch of times, last wave of CLASSIC Action Fleet at Target, .00 Darth Maul (I'm not a carded collector, but I wanted the original .00 Maul, and the worst part was, I had it in my hands with every intention of buying it, but somehow it got shuffled around with some other figures I was holding and ended up back on the pegs. :( )

GNT
08-21-2001, 02:22 AM
I too had seen Freeze Frame Fett at least 6 or so times,but since I had the version I never bought it!!!!!

I regret that the most!

QLD
08-21-2001, 07:55 AM
Zuckuss......still to this day the only figure I don't have...*sigh*

KiValleyTiger
08-21-2001, 11:01 AM
AT-ST, I was hoping to get it when on sale and I have nothing. Also DV with removeable helmet, when Porter Ranch TRU was just opened, they had plenty of those and I picked up only 1.

AmanaMatt
08-22-2001, 02:50 AM
thanks for the reminder, JT. I held the classic A. F. Tie Defender in my hands and really debated on buying it... I had played the video game and knew exactly what it was, but decided having the 'real' ships from the movies was good enough! ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! Somebody b#$ch-slap me!

2-1B
08-22-2001, 02:55 AM
I passed on probably all of the rare Freeze Frames. I never was a variant collector, so I never even considered them.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-23-2001, 11:02 PM
last wave of CLASSIC Action Fleet at Target,

JT, I saw the second from last wave of classic AF at Target at a clearance price of $7.99. The boxes were all dented and I didn't have the extra money to burn so I passed them up. To this day, 2 of the 3 AF ships that I am lacking are from that wave, the Millenium Falcon and the landing craft (the other being the E-wing).

I also saw some HTF AF Battlepacks 15,16,17,18 at a Rite Aid clearance store for a clearance price of $5.55 (I bought 14 from the store) but due to fiscal mismanagement from higher up, Rite Aid had to close some unprofitable stores and when I went back to get those bad boys, the store was packing up everything in boxes and getting ready to ship them elsewhere.

On a more recent note, I picked up a K-3PO in mid-July at a comic store in Toronto for $15 ($9 US) while passing up an Imperial Scout clean version for the same price. Now I see oodles of K-3POs in my area, and some dirty scouts but no clean versions. What can I say, I was an idiot. :( :(

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 08:23 AM
Sorry Matt, but at least you know you're not alone in that stupid mistake. ;)

Ki, thanks for reminding me, I must have seen that AT-ST a million times, but I didn't want one until a few months after it was gone. :( At least the POTJ set is coming.

Oh LBC, say it ain't so! How could you pass up a single-boxed Millennium Falcon? That's the one with JKF's inscription inside, oh the humanity!

Sorry to hear about that lame K-3PO choice. When it comes to aftermarket prices, I don't even consider those as "if onlys" since it's already something I missed once when that guy bought it. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 09:58 AM
Everytime I see LBC, I think of Sublime and their Summertime song...

"...qualified to represent the LBC..." I could have been qualified to represent the LBC, but I was a member of the 18th Street Trey Bloods at the time.;)

Anyways, I remember seeing the orange and purple carded SW figures when they first came out. For some reason I just wasn't into SW back then and had no interest in getting the figures. I wish I had at the time because I could have saved myself a ton of money instead of buying off of ebay.:mad:

Starfig873
08-24-2001, 11:18 AM
When the Complete Galaxy Luke first came out I didn't pick him up. Got him at KB's though!

Action Fleet: Rancor & the E-Wing :rolleyes:

Neo Solo
08-24-2001, 10:56 PM
POTF Bantha with Sandperson riding. !@#$%^&*()

bigbarada
08-24-2001, 11:29 PM
I also passed on the POTF2 Bantha and Rancor, and didn't want them until they were gone. I almost made the same mistake with the Electronic 12" Vader and Power FX X-Wing.

I also saw a FF Fett, Sandtrooper and TIE Pilot but didn't buy them because I was sick of reissues at the time.:mad:

GNT
08-25-2001, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I also saw a FF Fett, Sandtrooper and TIE Pilot but didn't buy them because I was sick of reissues at the time.:mad:

We all are!

Lman316
08-25-2001, 09:38 PM
I made a really big mistake when I passed these up: Masters of the Dark Side two packs.
They had these at a Wal*Mart in a clearance aisle, no less! They were marked (I think) $12 and they had about 4 of them hanging there.
I had just said: "No, I have enough Vaders and Mauls." But now I really want one of those.

Darn it!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-25-2001, 10:55 PM
For some reason JT, in 1997 I gave up on buying Star Wars stuff. I just went cold turkey (sure there was some withdrawl). I guess I was just frustrated with the influx of product and the fact that I wasn't rolling in the money, and that I couldn't get every MM product if I tried. Little did I know those would be one of the last waves of AF produced and I am regretting it ever since. I also missed a Tie Interceptor vs. Falcon at TRU on clearance.

Mandalorian Candidate--strange--whenever I see your name I say to myself that you are the nicest, kindest, gentlest human being I've known even though I have never met you. Very strange.:confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2001, 11:32 AM
I saw a Ree-Yees in a KB Toys (known for prices $1-3 more than other stores) on August 31 of 1998. Why do I know the exact date? Well, to order the Mail Away Mace Windu, you needed receipts dated 9/1 or later. So I figured "I'll just walk in smiling and happy as can be and buy this same figure tomorrow." Well... the SW Fan Club got $19.99 out of me to get him and the Death Star Trooper a bit later. Doh!

Yet another who passed on all the FF Series 3 figures, only because they weren't on sale yet. Stupid! (copyright GNT, 2000). ;)

PloKoon2385
08-27-2001, 11:18 PM
Darth Vader Removable Helmet, saw it at Target, didn't buy it, I bought a Batman 4-pack instead.....:mad:

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-27-2001, 11:46 PM
I was excited one time at Wal-Mart to find the Han Solo Taun Taun, but when I picked up the box I saw that someone had ripped the Han figure out of it. That really ****ed me off. I guess I don't regret not buying it, it just ****ed me off.

My big regret is the Bantha. I must have seen the Bantha a million times, even once on sale at Service Merchandise, but I never picked it up. I've bid on a few on EBay, but I just can't justify paying over $30 for them. Hopefully we'll see them in Ep II and there'll be a cool new version. Until then I'll just have to play with my friend's every time I'm at his house.

That last sentence sounds kind of perverted.

Obi-Don
08-28-2001, 09:04 AM
I missed out on the expanded universe figures.NOW look what it cost to get them on line. Someone shoot ME!

JediCole
09-06-2001, 01:50 PM
I've not passed on anything POTF2 or POTJ that I really wanted, the biggest problem is finding the things at all! I miss a few things but only because they cannot be found anywhere! I did pass (often) on the Action Fleet Imperial Landing Craft (from the Special Edition) and wish I had not. TRU had them for about a year, en mass, and when I finally decided I had to have them all...nothing!

Lobito
09-17-2001, 07:15 PM
I once saw Luke with Wampa, but didnt have money with me, i returned 1 hour later to found out it wasnt there. GONK!! Fortunately i got it later.

GNT
09-18-2001, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Someone shoot ME!

Ok, where do you live???

Calbretto
09-18-2001, 03:02 PM
My biggest regret is passing on the Rancor with Luke... now I can't find it anywhere but Ebay, and to get it there I'll have to pay an arm and a leg.

Taichi
04-05-2002, 10:05 PM
I've let a few good ones slip through my fingers.....not because I didn't want 'em.....but because I couldn't afford them.....

Han on Tauntaun......Luke with Wampa......FF Weequays.......I've seen most of 'em, and don't have a lot of POTF stuff that I still want.....

but the ones I still kick myself over are the Rebo Band pairs......

There's a few things I'm still working on getting, and eventually will grab.....

I'm not too concerned, since I collect for ME, not for investment purposes....

but I still have a few good ones.....so it kinda balances out!

Still looking for a few Vaders, and some other odds and ends.....

hamsterboy
04-06-2002, 12:53 AM
I once found all three versions of the CommTech Jawas and passed on them.

RooJay
04-06-2002, 05:09 PM
I had a chance once to pick up the Han/ Taun-Taun beast pack. Unfortunately it wasn't at a store, but at a collector's show, and it would've cost me twice as much as it would've if I had ever seen it at retail! What's up with that? Why was such an integral item not more widely available? Now it goes for like 60 bucks! Anyway, shortly after I passed on it I decided that as much as it would hurt me to do so, I just HAD to have it. Too bad for me that when I went back to the booth I saw it in the guy had already packed up and left! Unlike a lot of collectors recently, I actually like Hasbro, though in instances like this I actually think they really might hate us. I really don't care whether anyone disagrees with me about this, but I think it would be really nice to see some of the items that we didn't see a lot of during their original release being reissued and made more widely available. Items like Han on his Taun-Taun, which I think would be an excellent choice for this kind of treatment; how about reissuing this set with Han in his correct colors with a resculpted face? They could even put it in the new packaging! I really don't think it would be that expensive for Hasbro to do, and would give them an excellent chance to make some more money off of some old molds, while throwing us fans who missed out on items like this a bone. Of course that might **** off a lot of scalpers who have plenty of Han/ Taun-Tauns, and delight in selling them at 60-70 bucks apiece, but that serves them right!:mad:

BanthaPoodoo
04-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Was at Toys R Us when they were making the transition from long light saber to small (short saber/long tray).

I passed on the Obi-Wan, Vader, Luke because I already had em with the original saber.

boy do i feel like an idiot now!

sith_killer_99
04-06-2002, 07:39 PM
I passed on the Falcon Carry case with Scaning Tech.

Oh and a few EU figs, because I didn't know what they were at the time, AND they were on clearance.

Mara Jade
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Imperial Sentinel

If there had been a Spacetrooper or Darktrooper I may have bought them all.

That's it, those are the ONLY 4 figure I have EVER passed on that I didn't already have.

Sith Lord 0498
04-07-2002, 12:47 AM
Super Star Destroyer (Collection Fleet).

Can't believe I passed on it. KB had it for two weeks, I'd been waiting anxiously for it, and my mom even OFFERED to buy it!!! Why I passed I'll never know!!!

Oh well, at least I got the regular Star Destroyer (Collection Fleet).

Turbowars
04-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I missed out on the expanded universe figures.NOW look what it cost to get them on line. Someone shoot ME! Tell me about it! I'm not bragging here, but I was able find all the col#3 FF, but I don't have one EU figure, because I thought I could get them later. "NOW, SOMEONE SHOOT ME!"

Taichi
04-07-2002, 06:02 PM
I got Thrawn, the Imperial Sentinal, and Dark Jedi Luke, but missed Mara Jade, and the Clone Emperor.....which were the ones I REALLY wanted.....

Jayspawn
04-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I passed on WeeQuay, Sandtrooper, and AT-ST Driver freeze frame figures. I saw them at Wal-Mart and said "Pah, I already have these with and without holographic stickers, I don't want anymore."

I can still see them on the shelf now.

RooJay
04-07-2002, 06:41 PM
I'm gonna say it again: I think Hasbro owes it to us as collectors and valued consumers to re-offer some of these items! The Super Star Destroyer being an excellent choice for a rerelease. Ditto on the EU figures. Matter of fact, that would be a good opportunity for them to get back into the EU game, and give them an excuse to redo some of the figures. Like Thrawn, who in my opinion was a little off base. First off, the books frequently made mention of his "blue, black eyebrows" yet the figure has NONE!? He was also made a bit short in my opinion as I recall him being described in the novels as very tall. The Mara Jade figure was also a bit disappointing. Especially in terms of the head sculpt. A new color corrected carded Hoth Han would be really nice too. What do you guys think?
MAN I wish I could post new threads!

mightywhelk
04-12-2002, 08:06 AM
I was 10 miles away from my wallet when I found Dash Rendar's Outrider for 10 ($14) and the Naboo Royal Starship for 40 ($57) in a local shop. When I returned the next day they were long gone. I don't know about the US, but in the UK you never see these two in the shops (even when they were released), you've more chance of winning the Lottery....

Lost Spaceboy
04-12-2002, 08:21 AM
I have been sooooo lucky when it comes to this. I have passed up so many things and then found them on clearance or got one on ebay really cheap - usually auctions that end on weekday mornings.For example I passed up the POTJ AT-AT time and time again at $80 for about a year.So one day i stroll into KayBee on see 6 of them on clearance for $40.00.Yea! The only ones I regret not buying are Royal naboo starship at TRU for $49.99, Fambaa at FAO in Chicago (I had more than enough cash in my wallet too,dammit). and Death Star Trooper (although I did get Ree-Yees that day).My biggest problem is not being able to find things at all(like Target Y-Wing and Skiff, Motti and Commtech Leia and R2 w/ holo leia , etc.)I better not miss out on the Tie Bomber and Snowspeeder at Wal-Mart, I WILL go on a mass killing spree....

aharry
04-12-2002, 02:41 PM
I remember continiously passing on Ishi tib, Biggs, and General Lando because they were everywhere at the time and I wanted to pay other things. When I was ready to get them, they had eventually moved off the shelves. I got them now but payed a couple of bucks more than if I got them when I saw them. Also wish I got more Stormtroopers when the local KBs were selling the figures for $2.99 each and were swamped with the Imperial assortments. If you venture out today you can still see POTF Emperors from when that sale took place.

KiValleyTiger
04-16-2002, 03:10 PM
(I'm not a carded collector, but I wanted the original .00 Maul, and the worst part was, I had it in my hands with every intention of buying it, but somehow it got shuffled around with some other figures I was holding and ended up back on the pegs. )
JT, I got an extra one which I was planning to open (but never happened). Email me if you are interested.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by mightywhelk
I was 10 miles away from my wallet when I found Dash Rendar's Outrider for 10 ($14) and the Naboo Royal Starship for 40 ($57) in a local shop. When I returned the next day they were long gone. I don't know about the US, but in the UK you never see these two in the shops (even when they were released), you've more chance of winning the Lottery....
So, what you're saying is that you were without identification? Were you driving? Here in the States, you can get a ticket for that! Of all the nerve! First on the wrong side of the road, now this! :frus: :D Kidding.

I NEVER go anywhere without my wallet. Now there may not be any money in it, but it's with me nonetheless. :rolleyes: It is quite frustrating to actually come into contact with searched-for figures, be willing (and able) to afford the listed price, but not actually have the money with you. Arr! :Pirate: You shoulda beat up some kid for his lunch money to get it! :p

Lone Jedi
04-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Green boxed (NON-electronic) X-Wing Fighter
SOTE boxed Slave I during TRU's Pre-Episode I clearance
SOTE Outrider

sigh :cry:

he-ro
04-17-2002, 11:03 PM
The POTF AT-AT for $15.99 at TRU!

mightywhelk
04-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

So, what you're saying is that you were without identification? Were you driving? Here in the States, you can get a ticket for that! Of all the nerve! First on the wrong side of the road, now this! :frus: :D Kidding.

Yep, its true, we don't need to carry ID in the UK and as for driving on the wrong side, I stick to the middle (less of a difference when I go to France:))

Anyway, I always have my wallet on me filled with enough credit cards to choke a donkey.

RePoZeSoR
05-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Target Excl B Wing, FF Boba, Green Card Leia in Boush, & 12" Bobafett, that's all..... I thought the B wings were gonna be plentiful... my target had about 10 or so.... went back the nxt weekend... still they were there... i was like okay this is odd and passed the damn thing up again... well needless to say i just ordered it last week from a specialty shop

figrin bran
05-10-2002, 01:05 AM
hmm...let's see...mara jade, FF Fett and Weequay, Han w. Tauntaun, Desert Skiff, commtech stormtrooper, :(