PDA

View Full Version : How many copies do you own?

Rocketboy
09-22-2004, 02:25 PM
With the numerous times Uncle George has released the Trilogy, how many times have you given in and bought 'em?

With the DVD set, I now have 5 copies:
-The original pre-'95 box set (Fullscreen I think, don't think they made Widescreen of these) - box is opened, but individual movies are still sealed.
-1995 THX Widescreen box set (AKA the last Original OT editions).
-1997/8 metallic Special Edition Widescreen box set (which looked similar to the DVD box).
-2001/2 Special Edition re-release (with the Episode II behind the scenes preview).
-2004 Widescreen DVD set.

And depending on the special features, I'll probably buy the eventual massive Star Wars Saga DVD box in the future.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2004, 04:59 PM
-1995 THX Full Screen editions
-1995 THX Widescreen Box Set
-2004 Widescreen DVD

I'm sure I'll buy into the future releases of the OT or complete series when they come out.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
The set that I think were put out through Fox Video (They Had the Poster art on the covers (Full Screen)

The Widescreen boxed set of the OT 1.0

The Widescreen box set of the SE (2.0)

The DVD Set (2.5)

However, when it comes to the soundtrack for ANH ...

I have the original double album vinyl set.

The cassette of same

The 8-track of same (this dates m, I know)

The CD

The box set of CDs from the entire trilogy with previously unreleased material

The CDs that came out in conjunction with the SEs, w/new material and previously unreleased material

I feel like there's one I'm missing somewhere, but can't think of what it could be.

2-1B
09-22-2004, 11:40 PM
I have

1) the widescreen boxset from the early 90s, the 3 films plus 'From Star Wars to Jedi'
2) the fullscreen THX 95 set
3) the widescreen SE 97 set
4) the widescreen SE 2000 set
5) the 2004 DVD set (Star Wars mark 3 :D )

Kidhuman
09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
I have the SE VHS boxed set and the OT boots. Thats it for me.

BanthaPoodoo
09-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Here are the sets I have:

Each movie on Laserdisc (Original Trilogy)
Original release on VHS from I think 1982 or around there.
Special Edition release on VHS
THS Widescreen Edition (SE Version) VHS
Original Trilogy on DVD (bootys - Dr Gonzo version)
Original Trilogy on DVD (bootys - TR47 version)
Special Edition on DVD (bootys)
Special Special Edition on DVD (just released)

Other SW movies:

SW:TPM DVD
SW:TPM Special Collectors Edition VHS
SW:AOTC DVD

Ol Georgies made a mint offa me!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
For me:
*OT 1997 SE fullscreen box set
*TPM 2000 VHS fullscreen
*TPM 2001 DVD widescreen
*AOTC 2002 DVD widescreen
*AOTC 2002 VHS fullscreen
*OT 2004 DVD widescreen box set

I don't have the 2000 versions of the OT, that was just a waste. The only reason those were put out was so the covers could match the TPM VHS. And I only have the AOTC VHS to round out the collection, I'll also get the ROTS VHS next year. I've only seen the AOTC VHS twice - once just to watch it, and once with my cousin (that was the only kind of movie-playing device they had back then).

rbaumhauer
09-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Original '80s VHS, Full-screen (since given away)
Original Widescreen VHS Box Set (early 90s)
THX Widescreen VHS Box Set
SE Widescreen VHS Box Set
SE+ Widescreen DVD Box Set

DarkArtist
09-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I currently own original copies of the Trilogy on VHS from when they first became available for sale. I own the new trilogy versions from 1993, the big marketing promo where Vader's head was on star wars, stormtrooper for empire and yod for jedi. I own the special editions in the silver widescreen set, I have the british version of the special editions on DVD, import, and finally the new DVD's.

I might be broke but knowing me I will mostly likely by the ultimate versions from Lucas once he releases them. Hopefully it will be six discs with all the footage shot used in either the films or in deleted scences. Knowing Lucas he would use this to get more money.

I am upset that the new dvd's have no deleted scences. :cry: :cry: :cry:

stillakid
09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
I have the blue boxed set of 4 tapes with the hologram on the front of the OT films. Widescreen of course.

I also have the silver widescreen SE VHS versions.

As well as SE bootleg DVDs from Ebay.

Also I just put in an order for original edition DVD burns (sourced from the Laserdiscs). Hopefully I'll have those within a couple of weeks.

I haven't yet purchased the SuperNifty 2.0 versions, but perhaps soon.

If memory serves me right, I used to have a Pan and Scan VHS version of ANH, but I think I gave it away or something. No sense in keeping half a movie laying around. ;)

For the prequels, I got the widescreen VHS TPM as a gift and then the DVD as a gift later on. The widescreen AOTC DVD came from Santa, bless his heart. ;)

Beast
09-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Star Wars: The Definative Collection Laserdisc Boxset
Star Wars: The Special Editions Laserdisc Boxset
Star Wars: The Trilogy DVD Boxset - (Widescreen)

The first two are really only for archival purposes at the moment. I don't even watch the original cuts anymore. The extras are nice though. The SE Set is also being retired for archival purposes only, as the new DVD's are a wonder to behold. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Star Wars: The Definative Collection Laserdisc Boxset
Star Wars: The Special Editions Laserdisc Boxset
Star Wars: The Trilogy DVD Boxset - (Widescreen)

The first two are really only for archival purposes at the moment. I don't even watch the original cuts anymore. The extras are nice though. The SE Set is also being retired for archival purposes only, as the new DVD's are a wonder to behold. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I swear to god I'm not being a smartass here, but I am curious as to what "archival purposes" means exactly. If you never plan to watch them again, then why hold onto them? "Investment" for future Ebay or the like or just save them for posteriety even though they are subpar? I don't understand. :confused: I think I held onto that P&S ANH VHS (lots of abbreviations lately :crazed: ) for the same "archival" reason then finally realized that at the very least, it might be enjoyed by someone else which is why I gave it away.

Beast
09-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Just as a collector's item, since Laserdiscs are a dead format. I used to have the series on BetaMax also, but I sold my set to a collector for a mint a few years ago. Plus the extras are pretty nice. There's some commenatry on the Definative Collection, and some trailers and extras not on the new DVD's. Especially the tour of the Lucasfilm Archives. Plus it's just to have a copy on file for the hell of it, I won't be diggng them out to really watch ever again. The DVD's are superior in picture and extras, and the few minor changes never bothered me. They're still the same stories, they just have a few new images. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
09-24-2004, 09:32 AM
I have the THX set including the mail-away "The Making of Star Wars" tape, the SE foolscreen set (I didn't know better back in 1997), the widescreen DVDs and all 3 movies plus TPM on a PC-DVD that a friend of mine burned for me last spring.

I'm seriously thinking about transferring my THX set onto DVD. There are a bunch of "clean movie" shops where I live who edit out profanity, sex, violence, etc. from movies and will transfer them onto DVD. I figure that would be nice for watching the OT on my laptop.

scruffziller
09-24-2004, 10:44 AM
*1997 SE dubbed on one tape-foolscreen
*Definitive Collection-original release-WS (half ownership with my brother)discs are warped really don't play very good, ebay take-a-chance.....:(
*Original release-bootleg from LD-DVDs-WS
*SE-WS-bootled from Chinese LD-WS
*2004 DVD release-WS
my brother has the MAKING OF SW mail away tape.

stillakid
09-24-2004, 11:04 AM
They're still the same stories, they just have a few new images. :)

Well, no, but no sense in going through that again. ;)

But thanks for the info. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Well, if you count "charged to my credit card," I own 1 set of Original Trilogy DVDs. If you count" able to touch them with my hands," then I own 0 sets of Original Trilogy DVDs. Apparently preordering something FIVE MONTHS ago doesn't allot you the same priority as someone who buys it the day it's released (as my friend "owns" his copy right this very moment). I will Be polite and Not mention the name of this seller, so as not to embarass them. :frus: :mad:

But here's my SW video library:
VHS -
1990 trilogy
1995 THX remastered trilogy
1997 SE trilogy
Droids episodes (Pirates/Prince)
Ewoks episodes (Haunted Village)
1983? (85?) From SW to Jedi
1995 Making of SW
Hardware Wars SE
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi (alternate ending: Chewbacca is Luke's father! ) :eek:

Laser Disk -
none

Beta -
none :p

DVD -
R2 Beneath the Dome
Original Trilogy * (see above for asterisk) :confused:
Return of the Sith ;)

Turbowars
09-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Lets see, I have the

One Last time VHS set
SE set
LD set
New DVD WS set

decadentdave
09-27-2004, 01:15 PM
I thought this thread was asking how many copies of the DVD set did you buy?

I have the Definitive Edition Box Laserdisc set and the Special Editions Box Laserdisc Set. I also have some pretty good bootlegs of the theatrical editions on DVD (come and get me George :evil: ) as well as I am in the process of archiving my Laserdisc set on DVD which I am authoring myself to include the extras of MY choice... including the Star Wars Holiday Special and the full-length Star Wars screen tests.

I only purchased 1 of the Widescreen DVD set but I am thinking that I should purchase another copy for a backup while Wal-Mart still has them on sale for $37. Perhaps even purchasing the fullscreen set in the Gold box too. Then again, maybe I am getting too carried away.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Well, if you count "charged to my credit card," I own 1 set of Original Trilogy DVDs. If you count" able to touch them with my hands," then I own 0 sets of Original Trilogy DVDs. Apparently preordering something FIVE MONTHS ago doesn't allot you the same priority as someone who buys it the day it's released (as my friend "owns" his copy right this very moment). I will Be polite and Not mention the name of this seller, so as not to embarass them. :frus: :mad:

I lied, just like Obi-Wan. I will not say anything pleasant about B&N. It is now 10 days after, and I still do not have it. Barf & SomeBull is terrible. I have the names of a few customer service reps, supervisors, and even the general manager. They will hear from me, and I'm bringin' my Death Star with me, okay? (said in best Dennis Leary voice) There is no emoticon to describe my rage! :mad:

DarthQuack
10-02-2004, 02:17 PM
I have the THX set, special editions released in 2000(01)? and the new DVD's that came out.

Ji'dai
10-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Seven copies of the OT for me:

VHS (2)
1984-86 VHS Pan & Scan
1995 THX Widescreen

LaserDisc (3)
1989 Widescreen set
1994 Definitive Collection (x2)

DVD (2)
Special Edition (boots)
I'm getting the new set for Christmas

El Chuxter
10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
I lied, just like Obi-Wan. I will not say anything pleasant about B&N. It is now 10 days after, and I still do not have it. Barf & SomeBull is terrible. I have the names of a few customer service reps, supervisors, and even the general manager. They will hear from me, and I'm bringin' my Death Star with me, okay? (said in best Dennis Leary voice) There is no emoticon to describe my rage! :mad:

Jiminy jillickers, Bel-Cam Man! Did you order online or in the store? That's just ridiculous.