PDA

View Full Version : In what order should a newbie watch the 5 films NOW

El Chuxter
09-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm not talking about when ROTS comes out. I'm talking about this weekend.

I'm taking the five movies to my brother-in-law's, who got access to a huge screen. My niece has never seen 4-6, has no idea who Vader is, but knows 1-2 pretty well.

Everyone else has seen all five. (Well, except my sister-in-law, who hasn't seen 2.)

So, since nothing in 1-2 give away the pivotal "I am your father" moment, should we view them 1-2, 4-6; or 4-6, 1-2?

JediTricks
09-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Show them in 4-6 order, then 1-2. Hayden at the end of ROTJ now doesn't really look that much like the kid in AOTC so it won't help there I think. Just because Lucas is trying to muck up the OT to make it fit better with the prequels doesn't mean they shouldn't be shown in chronological order first. The battles in ANH are so much more exciting by themselves, this was always meant to be the stand-alone film so it is the perfect starting off point, the prequels are only building off the momentum from that starting point, ANH was good so ESB tried to do more, ESB was great so ROTJ tried to do more, ROTJ did a lot so TPM tried to do even more, TPM... well, you get my point. ;) ANH is a singular narrative, we have a little dual-storyline but it's kept fairly simple unlike the other films, the story is linear and the pacing is magnificent yet not over the top, the battles are exciting without being flashy. I cannot think of a better place to start.

Tycho
09-22-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure about how to show it to your family.

Only I suggest this general guideline from my real experience:

VERY YOUNG KIDS: show them 1-2, 4,5,6.

They will relate to kid-Anakin (Jake) and love JarJar Binks (and then try and act like him.)

If they have never seen the OT, then the Vader reveal in ESB will come as quite a shock if they connect the dots. Of course that is if they first understand that Luke is Anakin's son.

WOMEN - GIRLY-GIRL CATEGORY:

Show them 1-2, 4,5,6

They will respond well to JarJar and Anakin "being so cute," as well as Padme's fairy-princess role. They are not interested in hardcore (Saving Private Ryan) action, and it will keep them interested only to see what happens when Anakin loses his chance to protect Padme as she tumbles from the gunship.

Their desire for romance will be pacified by their enjoyment of stupid comedy from JarJar, until AOTC brings up the WB element enough for them. ANH is too hardcore and tragic and will turn them off.

WOMEN - THE COOL HARDCORE CHIC CATEGORY (women who are in the military too):

show them 4,5,6 and then 1-2 and have their curiosity peaked for Episode 3. They will be the kind of girl who might also enjoy the Aliens films as well as more historical or tragic drama stories.

ADULT GROWN MEN:

show them 4,5,6 straight up, then 1-2 later (with adding your insight or appologies, steering to where you think Episode 3 could be going so that enduring TPM and AOTC makes sense). I like the prequels myself, but I have a very cool hope for where I think they are going. E3 will either confirm this hope as having founding, or cause me to re-evaluate my opinion of the PT.

YOUNG ADULT MALES:

see "adult grown men" above.

I think Lucas tried very hard to incorporate universal appeal to these movies by including stuff for every type and everyone.

I think the overwhelming majority of people who post here on SSG are from the adult grown men category, and we'd get a different opinion if we had more girly-girls, extremely young juveniles who might be shy or terrible spellers, and others different from the target market for male action figure collectors posting here.

JediTricks
09-24-2004, 09:17 PM
I don't get it, do you really think people have changed THAT MUCH in the past 30 years? Star Wars when it first was released enchanted people of all ages and genders and still continues to today even though it doesn't have a pandering-to-kiddies goofball or preteen characters for them to identify with nor any real late-teen heartthrobs. Despite what Lucas and you seem to believe, people are not mushbrains, they don't enjoy something strictly because it panders to them. I gave my niece the OT on DVD a few years back, she loved 'em, she eventually got me to part with one of my Gammorean Guards and a role-play lightsaber - she didn't need a 7-year-old Anakin or Jar Jar getting farted on to enjoy the films.

Tycho
09-24-2004, 09:26 PM
I'll assume you were talking to me.

And asking if "I" think people have changed that much in 30 years.

No. I think folks are about the same:

Kids loved Ewoks in 1983, and they love Gungans today.

You are right that they don't NEED these elements, as ANH proved to be cool to all, but kids do love these things, as demonstrated by 1983's sales of everything all-Ewok and my overhearing kids wanting JarJar in Toys R Us while shopping in May or June 2002 for AOTC items.

Girly-Girls go and see the Olsen Twins' movies and "Crossroads" with Britney Spears or something. It's the market for "Bring It On" to have a sequel (groan). They existed in 1977 as well, as there are still people age 30-50 who have never seen ANY Star Wars movie, and might even point at the guy in the black helmet and ask if that's Yoda. I suspect if you divide this group up by gender, more that have not seen Star Wars (and hence had to not be interested in it since marketing put it in everyone's face even at the grocery store) - a greater majority of the non-Star Wars cultured will be with the ladies. My own girlfriend does not care to watch ANYTHING with violence and fighting in it, though somehow she liked Spiderman 2 but will NOT go with me to see Aliens vs Predators or even watch "The Shield" my favorite cop show, and she cringes at violence in Smallville. In contrast to her, I'm a practiced serial killer.

So "NO" -people have not changed that much (or I agree with you).

However, my stereotypes likely could stand statistical scrutiny.

2-1B
09-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I agree - start with ANH to get it out of the way.

Kidhuman
09-25-2004, 08:58 AM
4-6 then 1-2. Its better that way. If you start with 1 and 2, it takes the suprise out of the movies I think.

Devo
09-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Better still - don't show them I and II at all. Especially not to the kids because they don't yet have the capacity to realise that I and II are crap films and vastly inferior to IV, V and yes VI. Present evidence indicates that kiddies exposed to the prequels delude themselves into actually preferring these abominations. You cannot let this happen. I beseech you to do the right thing here. ;)

Devo
09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
uh oh you said this weekend. I'm too late! Irreversible damage may have been done. Dangnammit

Exhaust Port
09-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I still think that ANH is a great starting point. You jump right into the middle of the big uprising and go from there. The PT are a story in themselves as well as provide background information for the OT but aren't necessarily a better starting point for enjoyment. I think knowing the characters in the OT allow for more understanding and meaning behind the characters and places in the PT. I wouldn't care for Han Solo any more knowing the PT storyline but knowing about Leia and Luke in the OT makes the PT even better.

Tycho
09-26-2004, 10:01 PM
You'll change your mind about Han if he turns out to be a lost Clone "gone Solo."

No - not a Clone of Jango for the hundreth time. A clone of a new character used to replace Jango (or augment the clone lines, since Jango is dead).

2-1B
09-26-2004, 10:39 PM
So in other words, he won't care any more about Solo since he's not a lost clone. ;)

Tycho
09-27-2004, 08:24 AM
It'll make Han cooler since he could have been bred to be an ARC Trooper type or something.

Plus it'll make viewing the classics more interesting:

What if Luke had to fight a fully-trained Han? Well in the speederbike incidents he has to and the scouts aren't too quick to be dispatched.

Can Han Solo defeat stormtroopers when they should be every bit as good as he is? Another fight with a bikerscout becomes being viewed as being even more dangerous.

How about in the end of ROTJ? We've seen humans and Jedi coming together with primatives to fight droids in a galaxy divided.

Now we see droids (R2 and C-3PO) coming together with primatives (Ewoks) and humans (Rebel Soldiers), Jedi (Luke and Leia), and Clones (Han) and the galaxy is completely united and ONLY THEN does it defeat the Sith by overcoming its own prejudice and ability to prey on each other instead of fight their true enemy.

It's beautiful, poetic, and perfect for a fairy tale ending.

In E3, if we don't see a junior Clone kid abandoned along the way (especially on a particular planet amongst very specific people), Lucas will have missed an opportunity to subtly suggest something that works all too well. Of course, the fans can interpret the lost Clone kid any way they want to - but I'll know exactly why they did it.

"Listen Your Worshipfullness, I take orders from just one person - ME!"

The last Republic Clone: Han SOLO.

El Chuxter
09-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Well, it went 4-6, 1-2.

I found that kids who saw 1-2 in theaters and haven't even heard of Darth Vader were very confused. But they were dumb kids, so I doubt it's standard. :p

(Hey, I'm not being mean, just stating a fact.)

After seeing TPM for the first time in 3 years, my opinion of it has plummetted immensely (especially seeing it immediately after the OT). I decided I would never subject anyone (except maybe Osama bin Laden) to watching that piece of tripe first.

JediTricks
09-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Wow Chux, that's interesting to hear about your plummetting opinion of Ep 1, can't wait to hear more (do I smell a post in the Ep 1 section maybe? :D).

What did the kiddies think of 4-6 beyond that confusion?

JON9000
10-06-2004, 10:47 PM
I think you really could get away with leaving TPM out completely. There is more than enough info in AOTC to let you know what happened in TPM- Anakin met Padme, she was the Queen...

As far a little kids go, trying to show them all five would confuse them. Stick to the OT, if for no other reason than most people find them to be superior.