PDA

View Full Version : Changes I wanted that they did NOT do to the DVD editions

Tycho
09-22-2004, 04:39 PM
When the Millennium Falcon escapes the Death Star and Han and Luke defend the ship in the gunner stations, I wanted an extra couple of shots of the Falcon flying and moving like she could move instead of seeming like a stationary platform the TIEs were having an easy time flying circles around.

During the Battle of Endor, I wanted

1) a shot of B-wings fighting and actually engaging either a Star Destroyer, or TIEs.

2) an overhead establishing shot showing that while maybe there were hundreds of stormtroopers, there were perhaps thousands of Ewoks, thus explaining their victory by sheer numbers.

When R2 is spit out of the Dagobah bog monster and Luke finds him, the line should be "You're lucky you don't taste very good." - This is wittier and from your original (non-special edition videos).

When Vader is peeved that Luke would rather commit suicide and drop off Cloud City's weather vane than join him, his line "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" is too wordy for Vader who does not care to go into exposition, but rather (in the original) very gruffly orders "Bring my ship!" This even has nice symmetry with Padme's "Captain, ready my ship!" in TPM when she storms out of Palpatine's office.

An extended asteroid field sequence such as the one in the Extra Features DVD, but added to Empire, would have also been very cool.

Other than that, I think I'm very pleased with the OT DVD's and am going to thoroughly enjoy them.

One last thing: the colors and brightness seems lessened when compared with my VHS versions for some reason. Does the DVD look darker to you?

Pendo
09-22-2004, 05:31 PM
The one thing that I thought would have been changed but wasn't was Luke's saber in A New Hope. All the effort they put into fixing everyone elses, and Luke's still looks white/pale blue/pale green or whatever colour it is but not supposed to be :rolleyes:!

Other than that I don't think there's anything else that really NEEDED changing that wasn't.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see a lot more scenes restored, like Anchorhead, the sandstorm, the Wampa subplot, and Luke assembling his saber.

Bosskman
09-22-2004, 06:00 PM
They should have made CG Sy Snootles look like the old muppet.

Slicker
09-22-2004, 06:03 PM
I would also have liked to see at least some of the deleted scenes added in most notably for me would be the extra rancor scenes, the wampa scenes inside Echo Base (he could've digitally added the non-existent wampas), or the Anchorhead scene.

I'm not complaining by any means I really love the job they did with these DVD's and yes even the Greedo scene and Haydakin at the end of Jedi were tolarable.

Slicker
09-22-2004, 06:04 PM
They should have made CG Sy Snootles look like the old muppet.Or at least change the couple shots with muppet Sy Snootles to CG ones.

The 'Xir
09-22-2004, 06:50 PM
When Vader is peeved that Luke would rather commit suicide and drop off Cloud City's weather vane than join him, his line "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" is too wordy for Vader who does not care to go into exposition, but rather (in the original) very gruffly orders "Bring my ship!" This even has nice symmetry with Padme's "Captain, ready my ship!" in TPM when she storms out of Palpatine's office.

This line has always bothered me too, and I think the original line does capture the spirit of the scene better. Vader Is ****ed and isn't in the mood for formal chain-of-command delegations. He wants his ship and that's it, short and sweet... However Tycho(and I could be wrong 'cause it's been awhile), but I thought the original line was actually, "Bring my shuttle!". Either way, The way it is now is just to wordy. :frus:

The 'Xir
09-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Oh and I agree with you on more B-wings in Action! That's always been my favorite ship of the OT. I would have also liked to have seen the RotJ original theatrical release footage reinstated, when the A-wing crashes into the Death StarII's energy shield, after our hero's come out of hyperspace, learn the shield is still up, and Lando orders, "all craft pull up!" Why this was taken out in the first place I will never understand!

jlw
09-22-2004, 07:10 PM
here are some things I thought/hoped they would fix:

1. seeing r5d4 next to r2d2 when he is really in front of luke (they used the same shot twice)

2. pondo baba's arm scene with blood and wolf hand

3. in anh where han & luke fight the ties i could plainly see black boxes around the ties.

4. still didn't like the cg jabba in anh; nor han solo stepping on his tail.

5. hated hayden in the final scene of rotj and do not understand it; it would make more sense if it was either sebatian, yoda, alec or hayden, yoda, ewan.

and concerning putting in the deleted scenes here are a couple of thoughts/questions. i for one would love to see all the deleted scenes added in (sorta how they did in the x-men dvd) and seeing as how we will all sit through 2 1/2 hrs of lotr, lucasfilm should know that hardcore fans would love it. however, concerning the anchorhead scenes; if i remember right those were only filmed to appease fox/cbs back then and were never really apart of lucas's original idea. but i think it would still be cool to get a complete box set of all 6 movies that have the deleted scene feature in them

derek
09-22-2004, 07:29 PM
changes i'd of liked to of seen:

ANH

1. every lightsaber shot needs fixing. i can tell they tried to fix some of the shots, but they still don't match up with the other films.

what is up with that green flash everytime vader and obi wan's saber's clashed? it was very distracting.

the stop motion of luke deactivating his saber should be fixed.

2. the shots where R2's third leg pops out needs to be fixed, and the shot of R2 heading towards the falcon on the death star looks like his legs are gonna collapse.

3. the ponda baba bloody arm thing should of been fixed.

4. jabba looks 100 times better, but his color is way off. he looks like he has some fungus growing on him.

5. i would of re-filmed the vader vs. obi-wan duel with better saber fighters. i would of got that guy who doubled for dooku to re-do obi wan's part and perhaps let hayden do vader's role.

ESB

1. when the falcon is escaping bespin, carrie fisher gives perhaps the worst acting performance in any star wars film when she points and says "star destroyer". i would of fixed that or deleted it.

ROTJ

1. i would of re-worked boba fett's death scene. instead of falling into the sarrlac pit, i would of had him crash land on the deck of jabba's sail barge. it would of been boba who shot luke's hand, and then luke would of chopped his head off, ....like mace did with jango.

2. i would of digitally inserted a badly battle damaged hayden christenson into the "vader unmasked" scene, and removed sebastian shaw for good.

i would of liked a separate commentary track featuring all the major actors.

........and along with all this, i would of released the original versions as an extra disc.:)

JON9000
09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
One last thing: the colors and brightness seems lessened when compared with my VHS versions for some reason. Does the DVD look darker to you? The movies are darker than the pre SE VHS editions. I think this is due partially to restoration of the original print (the colors were always faded before) and partially to deliberate darkening of some scenes (Artoo in the dry riverbed is the most noticeable.)

tagmac
09-22-2004, 10:54 PM
ESB: After betraying Han on Bespin, Lando sits with Vader and cracks open an "ice cold, Colt 45." :D

ANH:

Slicker
09-23-2004, 12:52 PM
ROTJ

1. i would of re-worked boba fett's death scene. instead of falling into the sarrlac pit, i would of had him crash land on the deck of jabba's sail barge. it would of been boba who shot luke's hand, and then luke would of chopped his head off, ....like mace did with jango.I would've liked this scene because there would be no way that people could say that he survived that one.

Droid
09-25-2004, 12:05 PM
The one thing that I thought would have been changed but wasn't was Luke's saber in A New Hope. All the effort they put into fixing everyone elses, and Luke's still looks white/pale blue/pale green or whatever colour it is but not supposed to be :rolleyes:!

Other than that I don't think there's anything else that really NEEDED changing that wasn't.

PENDO!

Pendo, you and I speak the same language. Absolutely! That is the one thing that has to be FIXED. There are Special Edition changes and changes on this DVD I would like changed back. But Luke's saber on the Falcon is TERRIBLE. Now it is green at first, then pure white. What? They fixed the other sabers. Why not this one?

SithDroid
09-25-2004, 05:12 PM

PENDO!

I agree completely about this. Lucas spends all this time trying to make the movies more perfect and they can't seem to get the freaking lightsaber fixed. First it is blue, then for a second it is greenish, then it is white? It can't be that hard to fix.

One thing I wish they would have gotten rid of for these editions was the extremely lame and out of place musical dance sequence in Jabba's Palace. It is so out of place and reminds me of something I would see on Sesame Street or some other kiddy program. I also think they should have fixed the coloring of Jabba's Eyes on the new CGI version. This version is way better than the Special Edition one, but the eyes should have been more red to match the Jabba in ROTJ.

Kidhuman
09-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Reverting everything back to the original way it was shown.

scruffziller
09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Is it my imagination or are Han and Greedo, when it shows them firing......are those manaquins of the charachters??:ermm:

decadentdave
09-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Is it my imagination or are Han and Greedo, when it shows them firing......are those manaquins of the charachters??:ermm:

They are digital still frame composites (cut and pasted), which is why they do not look natural and why Han's "dodgy" move always looks fake. Take a look at the DVD menu when Han walks back and says "Well you can forget your troubles" again another digital composite created specifically for the animated DVD menus and it looks just as awkward.

Droid
09-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I wish Jabba's voice in a New Hope was the same booming tone it was in Jedi. They probably could have just rearranged some Jedi dialogue.

I feel the same way about Jabba in the Phantom Menace. I know it is probably another thread, but if they ever rerelease the Phantom Menace with changes I hope they take out Yaddle and put someone else in there (maybe Coleman Trebor or Shaak Ti). I feel Yaddle undermined Yoda's uniqueness.

Slicker
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Reverting everything back to the original way it was shown.I've got this sinking feeling that they'll do it, KH.:whip:

Jargo
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Redub C-3PO's voice in all movies. now the dude's in six movies he's even more grating than ever. They're not bothered about not using kenny baker much so why bother about a guy in a tin suit? sure he's a good mime artist but Anthony daniels sounds like something out of a 1960's romantic comedy starring doris day and rock hudson. C-3PO needs a deeper voice and something less staccato. R2 has a nice line in staccato beeps and chirps so it doesn't need a second staccato voice.

ANH: There was more footage of the battle aboard the tantive IV, restore that. Add in the anchorhead scenes. remove the freakin' ronto that passes in front of the landspeeder as the sandtroopers stop it. have R2-D2 use his super dooper rocket thrusters to get down the stairs of docking bay 94. put back the trimmed Owen and Beru dialogue. reinstate some of the original footage from the cantina especially the snippet where Han is canoodling with the chick right before Ben Luke and Chewie approach. It's so much more Han Solo the rogue and ladies man than having him alone when the guys go to meet him. and lordy lordy Han shooting first. and make your mind up what sort of hands ponda baba has.
let's see more of the imperial landing craft. or At-St's wandering through Mos Eisley. Let's see some fear of these imperials. perhaps a shot of the falcon whizzing by from the flight control tower at Mos Eisley. just a different perspective.
cut the bit with han stepping on jabba's tail. let's hear han but see jabba reacting. it would be possible to put someone in the Han costume and composite footage of him walking in front of jabba, in fact with the CG Jabba they could reconstruct that entire segment so it doesn't look entirely stupid. yeah and a deeper jabba voice would be cool.
Now we've seen Alderaan, let's see it from the ground with the DS in the sky and the horror as the green flash of the superlaser happens then a brief shot of the explosion before cutting to the view from the DS and carrie fishers lame response.
restore the blasts to the chest of the Imperials in the cellblock.
Do something with that awful dianogo eyestalk puppet.
that shot of han running into the stormtroopers with the tie fighters in the background. could be composited better so things are alligned with better perspective.
the scene where tarkin hears about the cellblock breach of security, couldhave a holo transmission rather than just an audio one. there must be footage around of peter Cushing maybe an alternate angle that could be used instead. artoo can't be the only thing in the galaxy at that time capable of holo vid/transmission projection.
Agreed on the saber battle between Obi and vader. a guy in a rubber mask for long and medium shots could be utilised to give the fight more dynamic. it puzzles me to this day why vader messes about waiting for obi to move, if he had an opponent that weak he'd have made lunch meat slices of him.
Fix the Yavin 4 computer readout of the death star plans so it looks more like the technology used in ROTJ even if it's on a flat screen and not a holograph image it's got to be improved so it doesn't look like an atari game.
The explosion of the death star, lets have a decent splosion with the shock wave going out in all directions maybe a few tie fighters tailing the rebels getting caught in the wave and destroyed.

ESB: I know Phil Tippet did a sterling job with stop frame on the tauntauns but they look like poop now. CGI them. similarly, some articulation tweaking on the close up heads of the tauntauns, blinking eyes or something, twitching ears. something to make them look alive.
the imperial probe droid just sits there while han shoots it. lets have it still moving or at least shooting a bit more than it does.
shouldn't the spirit of ben be younger if Anakin is young again at the end of ROTJ then ben should be Ewan as a spirit, fair enough to use Alecs dialogue but double tracking it with ewan would work. it's got to be one thing or the other. either the jedi appear as a younger self when they die and turn to spirits or they stay the same as they were when they died.
2-1B taking the bacta mask off Luke should be put back in. it was a nice touch. even if wasn't in the original story, it was cool to see it.
The wampa attack is a good scene to put back in, they could easily refilm it now if needed. it'd help show how inhospitable that place is. but the scene of threepio taking the warning sign off the room the wampas are trapped in is not a good idea. at that point. it is after all a rush to escape at that point in the movie not a slapstick comedy.
As the rebels are escaping, those x-wing pilots look mighty relaxed as they head for their ships despite the fact that there are Imperials headed their way. a bit more hurry and panic possibly?
Oh god please replace the asteroid worm with something less like a sock puppet. we know they can do digital masks on live action actors, so doing something with that heinous thing is a must.
Dagobah, it's a great set and a lovely section, but now is the time to say the puppet doesn't look that good compared to CGI yoda. again digital mask work might help blend the two better to give it all some continuity.
the bespin fall from luke, that screaming like a girl has got to go.
2-1B, he has dialogue in the med bay at the end of the movie, put that back.

ROTJ:
the Luke constructing the saber, in a jawas hut, that was a cool idea, should be reinstated. it'd echo the scene in AOTC where Anakin asks a Jawa for directions.
should definitely flesh out the throne room scenes in the palace with more footage of the aliens, drinking and taking advantage of Jabba's hospitality.
I actually don't mnd the CGI snootles and Joh Yowza insertion, the music itself is dreadful though. something more alien and less mainstream croewd pleaser would work better. the sort of sound like the street music from Mos Espa in TPM. stranger sounding.
lets see the rancor eat Oola. in fact as a nod to EU people, a shot of the palace garage with all kinds of craft parked and a couple of palace guards listening in fear as the scream of Oola echoes round. make the place seem more threatening.
the sarlaacc pit, CGI is nice but making the beak look less like Audrey II from little shop of horrors would be cool.
put back the scene where C-3PO translates an argument between Saelt Marae and Ree Yees. it's nice to see C-3PO get pasted.
Boba Fett needs a better death. maybe even a line of dialogue. otherwise he's completely wasted. he appears in three of the movies and deserves something better than being eaten by Audrey II.
Less of a liquid fuel explosion as the sail barge explodes. it just looks silly.
Put back the sandstorm sequence. PUT IT BACK! because of the conditions of the scene if they needed to redo dialogue they could find any number of voice talent to recreate the voices of the actors. they're shouting to each other over the sound of the storm anyway, could be any voice.
Dagobah, again ben, spirit of, either Alec or ewan, needs to be decided.
Yoda, needs CG digital mask, one to stop him looking crosseyed at least.
The extended dialogue when luke tells leia about her being his sister, I'm positive it got filmed, if it exists put that in and make more of the scene.
Ewoks, could they blink? could their music be more feral and wild sounding rather than disney store jungle section. The ewoks need to be more threatening and wild. just chaging the mood of the music and the vocal sounds of the ewoksto a lower timbre, stop them being cute and cuddly. they're hunters and survivors not teddy bears.
Put a Teeeeeeeeeeeek in their somewhere please? maybe in the speeder bike chase running alongside... joking but a Teeeeeeeeeeeek somewhere, perhaps being eaten by the ewoks?
I forget which Imperial officer it is, possibly Moff Jerjjerod, he gets zapped by two royal guards in the corridor outside the emperors love suite, put that back in. let's see the imperials do something nasty instead of just standing there and taking it.
Let's see some B-wing footage during the space battle.
make your mind up who's under the mask of vader, seb shaw or hayden.
let's see the interior of the death star really tear apart with the explosion. spreading out from the reactor.
again an all directions explosion with greater repercussions for ships around it like the remaining imperial fleet.
make your mind up about those spirit jedi at the end of the movie. is it young yoda or old yoda, young ben or old ben, young anakin or old anakin? where's all the other Jedi then? Qui-Gon and mace and Kit Fisto et al.

I'll be back with more.

JimJamBonds
06-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Two words: Jar Jar.

jjreason
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I had a very vivid dream about X-Wings being incorporated into the battle of Hoth - so vivid, in fact, that I thought I had actually seen a preview.... and was surprised to NOT find them in there when I first watched the DVD.

They looked cool in my dream. Put them in. :D

Tycho
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
If the Rebels had them then (during the Battle of Hoth), had I been General Rieeken, I'd have deployed A-wings to take down the snow walkers because the S-foils on the X-wings might've had trouble with atmospheric flight (especially in Hoth's atmosphere). The A-Wings carried heavier armaments than snowspeeders, but equal fire-power yeild to that of X-wings (nearly). Y-wings might've also worked (they WERE on Hoth), however they are slower than A-wings and might've been more easily taken down by the AT-ATs.

But General Veers must've prepared for the contingency that Rieeken would use fighter craft against his ground transports.

Neither Veers nor Rieeken were killed in their respective engagements, so it would be interesting to read interviews with them on the HoloNet or something, after-the-fact for their post-battle analysis.

"Hi, I'm Karlist."

"I'm Maximillian."

"You're watching INN's Crossfire."

Hehe.