PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Expects A PG-13 For Sith

Beast
09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
According to the USA Today, Lucas and others are expecting the final film of the Saga to feature a PG-13 rating due to all violence that occurs in the third film of the Saga. It would be odd to have one film not be PG, but it sort of makes sense. Especially since kids who's first Star Wars movie was Episode I, they're now 6 years older and can handle some darker stuff. I still don't think Lucas is correct about it being the least popular film due to the darker elements though. Here's the article from USA Today. Note that there are minor minor spoilers, but none that wouldn't be known by anyone that has seen the Original Trilogy before. :)

'Star Wars, Episode III' rating in the dark
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

The dark side of the Force rules in Revenge of the Sith, the finale of the Star Wars saga, due in theaters May 19.

Looking for proof? Filmmaker George Lucas expects the film to have a stricter rating than any of his previous Star Wars adventures, all of which have been rated a family-friendly PG.

The sixth Star Wars film (actually Episode III in the mythical timeline) details how Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) falls prey to "the dark side" and becomes Darth Vader, the iconic baddie first seen in 1977's Star Wars, now called Episode IV: A New Hope.

"This is the darkest of them all," says Lucas, speaking at a New York event to promote the recent release of his THX 1138 DVD. "I don't think it's going to be rated like the other ones. It's just more emotionally intense."

The PG-13 rating makes sense, considering the story line, says Scott Chitwood of TheForce.Net, a Star Wars news Web site. "From the original trilogy, we know that in Episode III, Anakin is horribly burned, Padmé (Amidala, the queen and senator who becomes the mother of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia) dies, Mace Windu dies, Luke and Leia are separated, and the Jedi are wiped out," he says. "It would be hard to do them justice without the film being PG-13."

A move to that rating for Sith isn't likely to hurt attendance. Those with children ages 10 and 11 might think twice, says Paul Dergarabedian of box office tracking firm Exhibitor Relations, "but their kids probably already have video games at home that are PG-13 in violence levels."

A PG-13 would bring Star Wars in line with such blockbusters as the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Want-to-see for the episode, which will complete the saga, is high. The first five Star Wars films rank among the top-grossing U.S. movies ever. Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope is No. 2 ($461 million) and Episode I: The Phantom Menace No. 5 ($431 million). The three others are in the top 25. And interest in the franchise remains strong, as consumers spent $115 million worldwide last Tuesday when The Star Wars Trilogy DVD box set and Star Wars Battlefront video game went on sale. Video Business magazine estimates 2 million DVDs were sold.

Lucas wrapped filming Sith earlier this month in London. "So the final shot of Star Wars has been shot, and never will the cameras roll again," he says.

The 60-year-old filmmaker is ready to move on. While he might explore the stories in animation and book form, he has no plans for any new Star Wars films. "I've been working on it over the last 30 years," he says. "When you do a trilogy, it's a 10-year run. That's a lot of your life."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
09-27-2004, 05:59 PM
A PG-13 rating is welcome as far as I'm concerned. I think the majority of the fans want a darker more violent finale so I also agree it probably won't effect attendance. EPIII is afterall the events that lead up to the rise of the Empire and the fall of the Jedi so I say bring it on, the darker the better. :evil:

InsaneJediGirl
09-27-2004, 07:49 PM
PG-13 sounds great to me.This way at least it wont have to be played down a bit for the PG crowd,not that they dont see PG-13 stuff anyways.To make the point short,what Hellboy said :D

mini-rock
09-27-2004, 08:18 PM
I know the film will be intense, but it must be more than I thought if the man himself thinks it could end up getting a PG-13 rating. May just can't seem to come fast enough. :D

Kidhuman
09-27-2004, 09:30 PM
I am all for a PG-13 rating, hell make it R for all I care. Bring on NC-17

Exhaust Port
09-27-2004, 10:36 PM
How about an R rated directors cut just so we can hear Darth Vader drop the MF bomb a few times. :)

Rocketboy
09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
How about an R rated directors cut just so we can hear Darth Vader drop the MF bomb a few times. :)
I'd rather hear Mace spout a few. It would sound more natural coming out of his mouth than it would Vader's.

I'm still surprised AOTC didn't get a PG-13. It's pretty violent flick, with multiple beheadings and all.
Granted, all the other violence and deaths aren't really that graphic, but there is still a lot there.
Dorme (and others) die right away
Zam gets her arm lobbed off
Shmi's death
The brief view of the Tusken slaughter
The slicing and dicing of the Geonosians and arena monsters
Jango beheaded
Clones and Jedi dying
Anakin's arm gets hacked off

JON9000
09-28-2004, 12:10 AM

lol lol !!

I think this is a pretty good sign. EP I was just a little too juvenile. This is the birth of Vader! It has to be a little harder core!

Darth Grifter
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
lol lol !!

I think this is a pretty good sign. EP I was just a little too juvenile. This is the birth of Vader! It has to be a little harder core!
yeah, i'm all for the pg 13 rating! this movie has got to be darker and more intense to serve the series and what needs to happen. bring it on...

do you think though, that lucas saw the popularity and box office performance of Lord of the Rings (being PG 13) and said, "what the hell, if they can do it, we can do it." or do you think that it just opened another door for him?

Pendo
09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
He goes through all the trouble to remove a head butt from Episode II to make it a PG, and Episode III he is making into a PG-13 (or 12). Yup, 2 years on and I'm still peeved about the head butt :rolleyes:.

I know I'm gonna get slaughtered for saying this, but I couldn't give two tosses about what rating Episode III is goin to be because I have no fait in the movie! Especially now that George has confirmed in the Trilogy Audio Commentaries that he has done the one thing that I hoped he wouldn't (which I won't reveal in the SPOILER free section, but you all know what I'm talking about anyway).

I think making it a PG-13 is also clever marketing, a teeneger probably wouldn't want to watch it if they knew it was a PG thinking it would be childish, but now it's a PG-13 they'll probably go and see it.

PENDO!

jjreason
09-28-2004, 06:40 PM
All well and good. On with the show already. :frus:

Beast
09-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't the head butt in the UK have made the movie more than a PG-13 by comparison. I know they have some wonky laws over there about what can and can't be in a PG film. So I don't know if you can really place the blame squarely on Lucas for the removal of the head butt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
09-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't the head butt in the UK have made the movie more than a PG-13 by comparison. I know they have some wonky laws over there about what can and can't be in a PG film. So I don't know if you can really place the blame squarely on Lucas for the removal of the head butt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
So in the UK headbutts are bad, but beheadings are OK? :confused:

Beast
09-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Aye. Because kids can't really perform beheadings. The lightsaber and blasters are fantasy violence. But physical violence, especially things like headbutts is a really big thing over there, and it causes a big stink with the British version of the MPAA. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-29-2004, 04:11 AM
An R-Rating would be superb because I want to see Natalie Portman **** Darth Vader.

darthvyn
10-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Aye. Because kids can't really perform beheadings. The lightsaber and blasters are fantasy violence. But physical violence, especially things like headbutts is a really big thing over there, and it causes a big stink with the British version of the MPAA. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

'specially with all the soccer hooligans about!