PDA

View Full Version : Everyone watch Arrested Development this season!

RooJay
09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
This is, hands down, the funniest and best show on television right now, and it needs a boost. Please people, don't let this one fall by the way. There's far to much crap on television nowadays that just keeps getting renewed season after season, and it's a terrible shame that a show as hilarious and as great as this almost didn't get a second season! Come on people, you don't know what you're missing! From the first episode I was telling everyone that the show would be an Emmy hound, and it's already started! Lets all give it a chance at winning plenty more. I'm also predicting that if it gets a shot at continuing that we'll see plenty of great stars beign made here - there's lots of great talent involved. So come on! Give it a try at least! You won't be disappointed. ;) :D

...and no, I don't work for the shows production company!

JediTricks
09-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, this show is easily the best new sitcom of last year, it's funnier than anything on this year either really. Not only is it incredibly witty and funny without requiring a stupid laughtrack, but it has a running storyline and great voice-overs by Ron Howard to boot. This is the best ensemble cast series since Seinfeld and probably will be the last great ensemble sitcom for quite a while.

I love the idea of Jason Bateman's where his character is going to have a relationship this season... with Justine Bateman! Too funny! They're apparently going to play it off like she has a strict religious background so they'll ALMOST kiss and then break it off. It's so wrong! :D

RooJay
09-28-2004, 02:22 AM
OMG! Is that confirmed? That'd be frikkin' hilarious if it's true! I've said it before and it bears saying again - this show is the best!

dr_evazan22
09-29-2004, 12:48 PM
I agree with you guys here, Arrested is Must See TV!

How many Emmy's did it end up winning?

JediTricks
09-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I think it is confirmed, I know Jason Bateman was talking about it a few weeks ago.

I believe Arrested Development won the following Emmys:
Comedy series Casting
Comedy Series
Comedy series Directing
Comedy series Editing
Comedy series Writing

Those last 3 were based on the pilot ep.
and the show lost:
Art Direction
Supporting Comedy series Supporting Actor (Jeffrey Tambor)

RooJay
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
I think it is confirmed, I know Jason Bateman was talking about it a few weeks ago.

I believe Arrested Development won the following Emmys:
Comedy series Casting
Comedy Series
Comedy series Directing
Comedy series Editing
Comedy series Writing

Those last 3 were based on the pilot ep.
and the show lost:
Art Direction
Supporting Comedy series Supporting Actor (Jeffrey Tambor)

Mark my words - if this show starts pulling in the kind of viewership it deserves, those Emmys will be the first of many.

Jeffrey Tambor is great (as always), but it okay that he lost because Tony Hale's "Buster" is actually the best supporting performance on the show. He just needs a little more time to gain the necessary recognition from the television academy. His arc as the boyfriend of Liza Minelli's "Lucille Austero" was one of the most hilarious stories of the first season, and one of the best I've ever seen in episodic television. Speaking of Liza, I am so not a fan of hers except on this show. For the first time ever I have actually been able to appreciate her particular brand of talent.

JediTricks
09-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I get the feeling this show is an annoyance to Fox, they know it's good on many levels but they don't know why and they don't know how to exploit it for ratings.

I totally agree with you on Liza, she was terribly funny on this show.

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2004, 02:26 PM
I've been watching a marathon of this on FX today and it's been keeping me laughing every episode. Good stuff. I'm sorry I ignored it when it was first aired.

James Boba Fettfield
11-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Tonight's episode helped to wash down that terrible taste the Simpsons left. I'm glad I caught that FX marathon to put me on to this show. I'll try to make it a part of my Sunday night schedule.

RooJay
12-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Who else caught last night's episode? Funniest episode so far! I nearly peed my pants during the flashback of the young Buster throwing what he thought was housekeeper Rosa's favorite toy (the hand-vac) at what he thought was Rosa's car (the city bus)! It's been quite a long time since I've laughed that hard at a television show. Linsay's declaration to put on a short skirt and take her panties off to make Pop-pop proud - at his funeral no less - was equally as hilarious! Watching her attending her father's funeral in a short skirt and "Slut" t-shirt in an efforts to woo Bounty Hunter Ice is destined to be one of the all-time classic sitcom scenes in my book!

James Boba Fettfield
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree about the Buster childhood bits. They all had me laughing out loud. Now that I think about it, everything Buster did on last night's show had me laughing. Good stuff, and it again outshined the Simpsons.

dr_evazan22
12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
So many good points...

Job's "Poof" comments at beginning and the new guy.
Job's comment about being able to wear stripper clothing anytime, anywhere.
Buster's half day in the Army, and the official uniform he wore to the funeral.

JediTricks
12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
My favorite part was when George Michael was walking home after being dumped by Anne, we see him slowly walk past a house where children are wholesomely playing while the "sad Charlie Brown" music is playing, and as the camera follows the dejected George Michael it reveals that on the other side of the lawn is a red doghouse with a beagle resting on top. I was dying, that was so damn funny that I went back and played it again.

RooJay
12-06-2004, 11:03 PM
How about that perfectly timed delivery by Jason Bateman of the line "as anne as the nose on plain's face"!

JediTricks
12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
That one was so smoothly done I wasn't initially sure if it was a joke or an accident.

James Boba Fettfield
05-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, FOX did it . . .

They renewed Arrested Development! There will be a Season 3 with 22 episodes! FOX did something right for once.

OC47150
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm glad. It's a quality show.

2-1B
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I can only take so much Jeffrey Tambor.

OC47150
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Buster cracks me up.

2-1B
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
does Buster = Tambor ?

I've not seen the show but I am curious to do so. I'm just not a big fan of The Tamborine.

OC47150
05-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Buster's the hapless son, who lost his hand this season to a shark.

El Chuxter
05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Great show, Caesar. Very, very quirky humor, sort of what Malcolm could be were it actually funny. You'd love it.

JediTricks
05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
does Buster = Tambor ?

I've not seen the show but I am curious to do so. I'm just not a big fan of The Tamborine.
No, Buster is played by Tony Hale, Jeffery Tambor plays the family patriarch, George, and his twin brother, Oscar.

I'm really glad the show got picked up, now if only they will nurture it and find it a decent time slot (and none of this "we're moving it to Tuesday" crap that they were talking about recently).

dr_evazan22
05-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Alright, maybe a little too enthusiastic. But it's a damn good show!

2-1B
05-18-2005, 03:09 AM
I'll give it a chance, Chux. :)

I do really hate Malcolm in the Middle so if I pick up on any of that, I'll be turning it off immediately. :crazed:

El Chuxter
09-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Season 3 starts tonight!

Also, if you're in the vicinity of a Costco and have membership, they've got the DVD set for Season 1 for $16.99 after an in-store coupon through the 25th. :eek: Definitely worth picking up.

OC47150
09-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Blast it! One more thing to tape tonight!

JediTricks
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
I can't wait, apparently with this ep Michael will be back in charge of the company and things will be going smoothly until he decides to track down his dad and it takes him to Reno. I just hope everything's still funny and perhaps they have tightened up the writing since last season. I am not too thrilled that it's being used as a lead-in for Prison Break, I don't think that'll do either show any favors, but it does mean that AD has only 1 show in direct competition tonight (King of Queens, which IMO has run out of gas) since the other stations aren't doing sitcoms.

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
In case you forgot about it: I'm Oscar! (www.imoscar.com)

OC47150
09-20-2005, 01:45 PM
It does exist! Good publicity move on Fox's part.

Whatever company produces Two and a Half Men did a similar stunt last year.

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 02:33 PM
The Simpsons does it all the time, too. It's always worthwhile to check on websites that are mentioned on comedies, because sometimes they're really funny stuff. Like this one.

OC47150
09-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I taped it and watched it this morning before getting ready for work. Put me in a good mood for the day.

rich_of_the_dead
09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
the funniest shows on fox right now are,american dad,family guy and the war at home.i tried watching arrested development an i became so bored after 2 minutes i felt like i was watchiing seinfeld again.that by far was the worst show on tv right above survivor,simple life and the oc.the o.c now theres a show that needs to go.:laugh:

OC47150
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
War at Home wants to be the latest version of Married...with Children, but it's not working. There's a few good jokes, but it's not that funny.

Lucille getting Tom Cruise and Scientology confused with psychiatry was pretty funny.

El Chuxter
09-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I found The War at Home to be the latest in Fox's never-ending line of Titus clones. If they're that fond of the elements of Titus, why'd they cancel it in the first place? :confused:

AD is a serial-type show, so it may not make much sense at first if you just watched one episode.

I think the funniest bit from AD last night was actually in the teaser for next week's episode, when Barry said, "That'll be fifty dollars."

OC47150
09-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I think the funniest bit from AD last night was actually in the teaser for next week's episode, when Barry said, "That'll be fifty dollars."

The teasers are pretty funny sometimes. Last night's was.

rich_of_the_dead
09-20-2005, 04:00 PM
the war @ home is so much better than morons with children go i used to hate that show.If they were so poor then how come their tramp daughter always had expensive clothes? why didnt they get their house forclosed and if they never ate why were they all not olike starvation skinny? yes i know it was a tv show but it was the most idiotic steaming pile of smelly choco fiber i have ever seen.and after watching just on show of braindead development i will go back to my usual shows.csi.ncis law and order nip/tuck and such but to all those of you who like it i have nothing against you so please rock on!:D

megaprime33
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I find this thread amusing since the ratings came in for the season opener and it was horrible. More people saw paint drying than this show. I actually like the show too so it is disappointing but if it doesnt bring in the ratings.......off the air it goes!

El Chuxter
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me. Fox has a long history of cancelling great shows, usually throwing them into a "kiss of death" time slot first. I'd say with most males and a good portion of females watching Monday Night Football, this definitely qualifies as such a time slot. :(

JediTricks
09-21-2005, 06:59 PM
War at Home wants to be the latest version of Married...with Children, but it's not working. There's a few good jokes, but it's not that funny.
I found The War at Home to be the latest in Fox's never-ending line of Titus clones. If they're that fond of the elements of Titus, why'd they cancel it in the first place? I think you're both right, it's basically an attempt at blending those 2 series, but without the wit or sly writing of either.

By the way, Married with Children was one of the funniest sitcoms of all time, a clever mirror of the false realities that society creates over and over with sickly sweet sitcoms. It was a broad comedy that, once it found its true legs in season 2, had a tight grasp on what it was doing and saying. It lasted 11 seasons because it was entertaining while intentionally not being the Cosby Show or Seinfeld or Friends (all of which it took shots at).

Fox has a long history of cancelling great shows, usually throwing them into a "kiss of death" time slot first.That's Fox's mistake, not recognizing that every timeslot on their network is the kiss of death. :p

As for the season opener, I was concerned that Arrested Development's writing had bogged down badly in season 2 and that we'd be seeing more, but this ep was as funny as anything in season 1, I ended up watching it twice. Michael coming into the office and they're celebrating their upgrade to "Don't Buy" rating like it's new years and there's a "Mission Accomplished" banner in the background, the interchange there with his sister (which was possibly the best way to get a dirty joke on network TV ever), all the jokes were just dead-on funny - even the score was in on some jokes. All around the most I've laughed in months.

OC47150
09-22-2005, 08:15 AM
The lack of a canned laugh track helps the show, too. And some of the expressions on the actors' faces are priceless.

El Chuxter
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Was it just me or did they seem to have misplaced an episode? It seems like one was missing in between last week's and last night's.

Or did they do the stupid Fox standby "We're going to air a show in a different time slot and keep it on the down-low" stunt?

OC47150
09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
There was an odd disconnect to it. The cabin still on the flatbed being the only tie-in to the previous week's episode was good but weak.

JediTricks
09-27-2005, 08:20 PM
I too found it odd that so much was explained in the "previously" part that wasn't in last week's ep, but I suspect that what they did is make an extended episode for the season premiere and Fox simply chopped it up for the standard length. I dunno though, we didn't find out what happened to Oscar at all too, that didn't even get touched upon in this ep.

Last night's ep was ok, but a little broad and shticky for my tastes.

BTW, the ratings are the toilet, 2.94 for last week's season premiere and 2.7 for last night's ep with Charlize Theron (though I didn't think she was a ratings-grabber guest star anyway). It came in 5th for its timeslot, beating out only UPN's "One on One" which is just shameful.

El Chuxter
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Again with the "was it just me":

Was it just me, or was Tobias's business card the single funniest thing on television in years?

OC47150
10-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I missed it. Watched King of Queens instead.

JediTricks
10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
What I loved was that the joke was funny if you worked to figure it out BEFORE the card, the card just delivered on a great setup. I kinda wish they hadn't left Buster's hand in limbo and left those awful plugs on Tobias' head, they're 1-note jokes that just seem like they stand out even when not in use as such. Other than that, the ep was pretty funny, and I love how the staircar has been overthrown by the half-cabin truck. I hate that folks say this show is somehow cerebral humor, it's so often moronic, I fear that many of those detractors are just so unused to TV without a laugh track that they can't remember when to laugh on their own; or maybe it's just that many of the jokes work without their setup, so you have to pay attention to what you're watching. I hope this show never goes away, stuff like George sr's surrogate (played by Super Dave Osborne!!! Well, SDO's actor Bob Einstein anyway, and he was perfect in this role) is so damn funny on its own, even Scott Baio as the under-used Bob Loblaw (there's a joke name that's never leaving my skull) was another laugh-inducing element.

El Chuxter
10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Mrs Chuxter has been making nonstop stupid cracks about Bob Loblaw since the teaser last Monday. :D

I have to disagree with your comment about the hair plugs. We both cracked up when Tobias first showed up because he still had the stupid things. And the "For British Eyes Only" musical clip and "Lanes Switch Ahead" signs still are pretty funny, and they definitely should fall under one-note jokes.

I just wish there was a way to tell OC47150 what Tobias's card said without violating about fifty forum guidelines. :)

JediTricks
10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
He's the first analysist crossed with a therapist... the joke is how he merged the terms. :D

What's up with women and that Bob Loblaw thing? My sister has been goofing on that one at me for 8 days now too.

thestarwarsman
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I just watched for rhe first time Sunday. Great show has to become a habit now. Great like I don't have enough of those already. :)

JediTricks
10-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Better to have too much of a good thing than too little. :D

El Chuxter
11-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Holy crap, but this was the best hour of TV I've seen all week! That bit with Tobias dressed as a mole fighting George Michael in the spacesuit had my sides hurting.

Plus, the mystery of Rita revealed, and the return of Anyong next week! What's not to love?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-08-2005, 02:47 AM
so, that's where this thread went!! After a season and a half of catching sporadic episodes here and there, i caught up on seasons 1 & 2 and then the first eps of season 3. Tonights episode was great!! The beginning was HYSTERICAL, with the blips about George Michael turning when he has stuff thrown at him and when Tobias even turned around, knockin' those vases off and then just leaving them. Great stuff.

and i love how Ron Howard is getting more and more into the episodes. Like, a few weeks ago when Michael Jr was telling Rita about the family and mentioned "its arrested development" and ron said, "hey, that's the name of the show!" and tonights, "George sr. spotted a mole...not that mole....wait for it........there." Great stuff!

and i soon smell an Arrested Development avatar scheme in a week or so, eh kids?! :thumbsup:

and on a side note, my favorite thing on the show thus far, from all seasons, was every one of the "sad walking" sequences during "Good Grief." Once they hung their head and that music from Peanuts came up, I was in tears. I think George Michael's was the best though, as he walked by a red dog house with a white dog on it. I have a pic of it as my wallpaper at the moment. :crazed:

JediTricks
11-08-2005, 02:18 PM
That bit with George Michael walking past Snoopy and the kids playing on the lawn was priceless, probably my favorite moment of the whole series because it was so perfect.

Last night's episodes were both really funny stuff, really silly gags everywhere you looked. And Charlize Theron being a "Mentally Retarded Female" at the end, that was too much. :D I laughed a LOT between 8 and 9pm last night. Too bad most of America wasn't watching, it got abysmal ratings once again.

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I just read FOX has cut back this season's episode order to 13. So I guess that's it for this one. :sad:

OC47150
11-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Fox should've kept it on Sunday nights. A good companion piece with the Simpsons. A heck of a lot better than The War at Home!

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Fox just announced that the show is canned, 13 eps for season 3 and then it's done. That means no syndication for the show.

I HATE FOX!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
well, i'm PO'd and i'm boycotting Fox from here on out. They can't market a good show to save their soul. I hope to God another network realizes what a gem they have on their hands and picks it up. It irks me how Fox can keep crap like "The O.C." and "The War at Home" and can things like "Family Guy" (the first round) and "Arrested Development."

in honor of hte bluth family, i have put up my Tobias avatar. I had another pic of Tobias catching cashews in the kitchen and was going to put as my location, "catching nuts in my mouth in the kitchen," but i decided against it.

I wonder how they'll end it. dammit! :frus: :frus: :frus:

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2005, 05:05 PM
"False No Nude"

Never, isn't it, Guyute?

JediTricks
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah, it's "never-nude", c'mon now! :D

I'd want GOB's magic show as my 'tar, but there's no way to get his theme music to play and that's what REALLY makes it funny, him using "The Final Countdown" is SO right.

El Chuxter
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Nevernude!! :mad:

This really bothers me as well. The show may not get the big ratings, but the constant stream of Emmies can't exactly hurt Fox's visibility, can it?

I really hope someone else can pick this up.

Off this subject, but since we're now speaking of prematurely-cancelled, drop dead funny Fox sitcoms, Chris Elliott verified on The Daily Show last night that he recently finished commentary for (drumroll please) a set of Get a Life DVDs.

Now I can proudly display that with Arrested Development and Greg the Bunny in a sort of "Damn You, Fox!" section of my DVD library.

And since you took Tobias (somehow I had a feeling he'd go quickly), I'm debating whether to go with Anyong, Steve Holt, Rita, or Gob.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2005, 09:40 PM
sorry for my "nude" confusion; it's been a rough day. Doped up on cold meds and weeping over AD. The problem is fixed now. I apologizing for sucking, and sucking hard and you have my word that I won't suck anymore. "tobias, you blow hard!"

That's for you, Tobias.

I guess somebody on a AD site is proposing that fans mail out letters to the other major networks on the 16th in an effort to get the show picked up by somebody. Hopefully, another network will see what a classic show this is and pick it up. Damn you, Fox. :whip:

and Chux, go with Gob. He's hysterical.

JimJamBonds
11-12-2005, 12:07 AM
... Chris Elliott verified on The Daily Show last night that he recently finished commentary for (drumroll please) a set of Get a Life DVDs.

AWESOME! That's the best news I've heard in a long time!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it almost offsets the lost of Arrested Development. Well, not quite.

I should probably add The Tick (live-action version) to my "Fox sucks" DVD shelf.

JediTricks
11-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Fox also cancelled the animated version of The Tick, so you can blame 'em for both. And they cancelled Family Guy twice (or was it 3 times) and Futurama and they canned Married with Children after a decade without telling the cast or crew so they could make a final ep or have a wrap party.

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Like most people, I wasn't even watching Married by that point, so I didn't notice. It makes it quite ironic that they've had all these reunion shows and such lately.

I knew they cancelled the animated Tick, but it was on for something like four seasons, wasn't it?

JediTricks
11-13-2005, 07:47 PM
2 seasons at 13 episodes apiece and a 3rd season that lasted only 10. 36 eps total, which is bupkis.

rich_of_the_dead
11-13-2005, 09:33 PM
heheheeh wishes can come true

El Chuxter
11-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Then I shall wish for The War at Home or The OC or Prison Break to be cancelled instead.

You have some pretty serious hatred for the show, rich of the dead. I'm not attacking you, but can you explain why?

James Boba Fettfield
11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
No, not Prison Break! I know it is not the best drama out there, but it keeps me interested.

And Chux, rich provided his reasons. The show, somehow, got his "plumbing stopped up internally."

rich_of_the_dead
11-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Then I shall wish for The War at Home or The OC or Prison Break to be cancelled instead.

You have some pretty serious hatred for the show, rich of the dead. I'm not attacking you, but can you explain why?

because honestly the jokes are stupid,the show makes little to no sense i agree prison brealk and the oc should be cancelled.i dont like dumb humor its not just this show i dont like the simpsons becasue of bart and homer,i hate abbot& costello,the three stooges.and stuff like that. ok i am a hick i love blue collar tv.my favorite is larry the cable guy. i saw him live 4 times and even got a chance to meet him after the show and he was so nice he gave me the hat he was wearing that night.it means more to me than anything i have for star wars.if i offended anyone i am sorry now come on arent we all glad 7th heaven is gone?and i apoligize for the run on sentance but it is 6:15 am here and i am still trying to get awake.if you like arreted develpoment and your sad its cancelled the its ok but dont i have a right to be happy about it if i dont like the show?:cross-eye

El Chuxter
11-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I didn't say you didn't. I was just curious why you seemed to hate it so much. I hate The OC, but not enough to start new threads about it.

If you don't like slapstick humor, I can definitely see why this wouldn't be for you. No offense intended at all, in case that's how I came across.

rich_of_the_dead
11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
I didn't say you didn't. I was just curious why you seemed to hate it so much. I hate The OC, but not enough to start new threads about it.

If you don't like slapstick humor, I can definitely see why this wouldn't be for you. No offense intended at all, in case that's how I came across.

none take chuxter none @ all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

James Boba Fettfield
12-04-2005, 07:49 PM
New episode is on tomorrow at its normal time.

OC47150
12-05-2005, 07:52 AM
I've read where the producers are shopping Arrested Development around to other networks.

Prison Break is one of the better shows on the tube. :D

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
"Why am I not going underwater?!" - That part had me laughing the hardest, loved that ending.

I also liked the nod to the Star Wars kid video.

I'm going to miss it when it's gone forever. :cry:

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 09:01 PM
The SW Kid video nod is actually a repeating joke too, that's why George Michael says that thing about getting a new tape, they're not that expensive. :D

The walk-on-water ending totally fished me in, I really thought they were getting emotional and cheating with her walking on water and fading to black (did they actually go to commercial with that?) then coming back to fix it. :p

OC47150
12-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I thought it was a so-so episode. Only a couple of good chuckles for me.

The Charlize Theron storyline wasn't the best. Sorry. :(

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree that this storyline wasn't the best.

OC47150
12-13-2005, 11:19 AM
What? No comments from last night's episode? The 'I'll give my money to TBN' line killed me!!

The classic AD episode with Liza was so funny.

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
It was TBA, not N, and it was a really funny ep that was really uneven too, some parts had me furrowing my brow while others had me dying with laughter. Near the end with Kitty talking about her tears, I can't even repeat why those 2 jokes were so funny because they were so dirty, but both times it was a howler (Michael's reaction to it was spot-on perfect). Lipton as the Warden worrying over losing small promotions was funny too, and the joke between him and Kitty was another dirty one that was pretty funny too. That's what I love, the dirty jokes are generally played straight so they get past the censors, but at least 1 character outside the joke reacts to it as it really is which makes a cheap joke funny again.

El Chuxter
12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Does it seem odd to anyone else that Fox seems to be promoting this more heavily now that it's confirmed that they cancelled it?

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
You know, that's a good point. I don't know what's up with it.

rich_of_the_dead
12-14-2005, 06:07 AM
you know my feelings on the show but for those who like it i just found this

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/051214a.php

El Chuxter
12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info, Mr Of The Dead. :) That would indeed be good news. Though I doubt it would make me get Showtime (having HBO more or less just for Deadwood is enough), at least there'd be season boxed sets in the future.

OC47150
12-14-2005, 12:43 PM
TBA, TBN, it's still funny.

Here's some good news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051214/en_nm/arrested_dc

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-15-2005, 10:21 AM
More news coming in saying that "reportedly" aka: rumors, that Showtime AND ABC might be interested in picking up the show.

Arrested Development UN-Canceled ?
Posted Dec 14, 2005, 6:22 PM ET by Ryan j Budke
Filed under: ABC, Comedy, FOX, OpEd, Arrested Development, Premium Cable

First of all, thank you to all of our readers who sent in the updates regarding Arrested Development and its possible salvation. We were listening, and have been on the phone with the networks all day. We were hoping to be able to break some news for you and get a confirmation from either Showtime or ABC about them picking the show up. Hopefully, we'll be able to bring you some more information very soon. Unfortunately, for the time being, all that we were able to get from either network is a big fat "No Comment". Fortunately for all of us Arrested Development freaks, we were able to get "No Comment", which, as everyone knows, means they just don't want to talk about it yet. So now that it seems that both networks are interested in the show, which would you rather see it go to?

Some of us around here at the TV Squad offices would like to see Arrested Development on Showtime because it would allow the writers to have more freedom. Personally, I think they do a fantastic job with the "censoring", and even use it to their advantage (Buster's bleeped outburst from last season comes to mind). It seems that after cementing itself as a big network for dramas last year (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy), this year it's trying to prove it can do quirky comedy. Heather Graham's new vehicle, Emily's Reasons Why Not, is the first among many new comedies that they'll be debuting. I think ABC would be the better choice. Let me know what you think.

As always, check back here at TV Squad and if there's any breaking news, we'll be the first to report it.
http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/12/14/arrested-development-un-canceled/

and

A Lifeline for Arrested Development? Thursday December 15, 11:30 AM By WENN

Click to enlarge photo

Emmy-winning comedy Arrested Development is set to be saved by US TV networks Showtime and ABC, after being dropped by Fox.

Executives at Showtime and ABC are reportedly in early talks to pick up the series, after bosses at Fox decided to cancel it last month because of consistently low ratings.

The show, starring Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Portia De Rossi, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett, won over critics when it debuted in 2003, but never attracted large viewer numbers - even after scooping an Emmy in 2004.

Official talks have yet to take place with either of the interested networks.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15122005/364/lifeline-arrested-development.html

Nothing official yet, but this is certainly great news!! :crazed:

OC47150
12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I think Showtime would be a better fit than ABC for AD. It can go over the top without getting into trouble.

drsidious
12-16-2005, 02:06 AM
do you think this would help the show in any respect.
i still think its one of the best half hours on tv.

JediTricks
12-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Oh man, tonight's ep was great, I loved the triple-scam ending, and the monster movie version of Gangie, and Bob Loblaw's Lawblog... just too much fun. That's what I love about this show, they do stupid jokes in smart ways.

JediTricks
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Last night's ep was a hoot, they totally played up the "show's about to be cancelled" thing to perfection, I wonder if they scrapped some eps to do this one this way or not. The cheap sweeps-style stunts were hilarious, total rip-offs all the way made them so funny, and the Andy Richter digs at Fox were awesome too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, i loved it immensly. I yanked my favoritel ines from a yahoo article about it:

"I don't think the Home Builders Organization is going to support us," George says.

"Yeah, the HBO is not going to want us," replies Michael. "What are we going to do?"

"I think it's show time," George then says

I giggled hysterically. and i loved the Ron howard line that went something along the lines of: "A dinner party with no possible resolution. It's a sure fire setting for comedy. Tell your friends."

El Chuxter
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah, this one was great. I almost peed in my pants over the live ending. Two whole seconds! Or was it even that much?

They had every ratings stunt but a new baby.

JediTricks
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
No wedding either, but I forgot about the phoney 3D, that was damn funny stuff as well. BTW, I neglected to mention that Ron Howard really did a top-notch job as the narrator with this ep, he had been slipping of late getting caught up in moments (you can tell 'cause his voice keeps going "up") but this one was dead-on work, that second "tell your friends about this show" was hilarious. Here's what I don't get, this is a smart show doing cheap comedy yet it's tanking, but Fraiser was pretty much the same thing and it lasted longer than nearly anything else... I blame Fox.

El Chuxter
01-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Moving shows around from week to week, airing re-runs in the regular slot and new episodes in weird slots with no notice, and generally not advertising shows well seems to be Fox's MO. They need to chuck some of the crap like The OC and Prison Break, because they've really dropped the ball on and cancelled many great shows in the past ten years or so.

And why is That 70s Show still on? Can that and put AD in its time slot. Seriously. I used to be the biggest fan of that show, and it's been THREE YEARS since I could stomach an entire episode of it.

OC47150
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I completely forgot it was on. And I missed a good one too!!

James Boba Fettfield
01-13-2006, 03:13 PM
From TV Guide:

Fox has announced a Friday, Feb. 10, two-hour season finale — that's what the memo says, season finale — for Arrested Development. In the season finale — that's what the memo says, season finale — Fast Times at Ridgemont High's Judge Reinhold will guest-star, as well as Arrested headliner Jason Bateman's real-life sis, Family Ties alum Justine Bateman, playing a woman who may or may not be Michael's half-sister.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|99543|1|,00.html

More info about the final four episodes can be found there.

El Chuxter
01-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I was wondering what was going on when a re-run of House was on in the AD time slot this week. I didn't think the full season was up yet. Silly Fox, changing the schedule.

I wonder, as far-fetched as it may sound, if Fox actually is behind the show and this has been an elaborate scheme to get free publicity so the ratings go up? Or if they realized that it has a cult following.

JediTricks
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
If Fox actually has all along planned to keep the show another season, then this season's stunts actually have worked really well because it has gotten more attention and they have used it to be funny. Unfortunately, the shortened season length makes me sure they're NOT making a joke and do intend to can the show. Hopefully though they changed their minds and are keeping it.

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Remember, tonight the final four episodes will be airing.

El Chuxter
02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Tonight? Holy crap! Good thing you reminded me. This Fox day-switching is for the birds.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Remember, tonight the final four episodes will be airing. Wow, thanks for saying something, i would have had no idea!

Stupid FOX better not kill this show, I gather it's still hanging by a thread at this point.

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Tonight? Holy crap! Good thing you reminded me. This Fox day-switching is for the birds.

Wow, thanks for saying something, i would have had no idea!

Well, there's no surprise. Leave it to me to do the advertising for this finale and not Fox.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I just read a brief recap/review of the episodes for tonight and they sound HYSTERICAL. So, 8-10 is "Arrested Development" time. So, i'll see you kids back here say about 10:15 for a group cry? :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Should just be you and me, Guyute. Our other two AD fans are west coasters.

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I didn't think the finale would satisfy me, but it did.

I'm going to miss the Bluths.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
FOR OUR WEST COASTERS: SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOIILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOIILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOIILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Such a FANTASTIC two hours of television tonight!! There were so many loose ends that were wrapped up while a whole new set of stuff came up, leaving us wanting a new season on Showtime or ABC. Yeah, i read in the DAyton Daily and Usa Today this afternoon that both ABC and/or Showtime (the more likely candidate) are in talks about the show. I also read a blip that mitch Hurwitz has till June to decide if he wants to take the show to Showtime, but once i find a SOURCE, i'll post it. So many great things tonight with Maebe and George MIchael and seriously, how shocking was it when Anne came about?! What got me giggling the most is at about 9:40, i was like, "i wonder if Annyong will come back?' and BOOYA, there he is, exacting sweet revenge. I cannot wait for this DVD release and I hope to God that this show comes back.

and seriously, i want "George Bush doesn't care about black Puppets" shirt, NOW. If not though, fare thee well "Arrested Development." Sorry that a majority of Americans prefer schlock reality TV to clever, witty, and delightful storytelling. :love: :love:

edit:

After speaking with various reliable sources connected with the show, I can tell you that creator and exec producer Mitch Hurwitz is currently contemplating pickup deals from two networks. ABC has offered a 13-episode season to air on Thursday nights this fall. And an offer from Showtime is for 12 episodes a year for two years, with the option of a third.

By all accounts, Showtime is the more attractive offer, given that it would relieve the ratings pressure that has plagued the show from day one and also allow the cast to work on other projects nine months out of the year. However, for the writers and producers, it would be a similar amount of heavy lifting (especially for Hurwitz, who spearheads each episode from start to finish--'cause, let's face it, you can't delegate genius) for a network that might not have the budget to offer quite so much in return.

So, Hurwitz is...hesitant. That's what I'm told. Although I'm sure he loves Arrested like a firstborn child (as do we), he must decide whether it's worth it to uproot the show, transplant it to another network and continue to pour his blood, sweat and tears into something that, let's face it, the American viewing public has yet to embrace on a large scale.

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/Archive2006/060210.html

El Chuxter
02-11-2006, 10:23 AM
NPR reported yesterday that talks with ABC went nowhere, and that Showtime is a far more likely bet. The contract would be for 36 new episodes, which would make it more attractive as a future syndication offering as well. But Hurwitz isn't sure about going on with it.

E and NPR at odds. Who'd've thunk it?

JediTricks
02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
These 4 eps were really good, but they would have been so much better spread out over 4 weeks, they kept building and carrying jokes over from ep to ep yet since we just saw them it made TOO MUCH sense.

There was so much to talk about that I can't really point to anything yet, I'm gonna watch it again next week (providing I can avoid taping over it). One thing that stuck with me though was Maebe and George Michael getting married that could still go somewhere if they bring the show back. The final show was fantastic, they tied up so many loose ends and reversed how the series began, Michael and George Michael running off was perfect!

dr_evazan22
02-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I liked Justine Bateman coming on as Michaels possible sister. And how all the men she was with at bluth's just cried while with her.

Then there was Michaels twin sister who's not really a twin, or a sister.

JediTricks
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I loved Schwarzenegger's face as the background seal on George Michael and Maebe's marriage license. And Buster's exasperation running into that SAME seal from GOB's magic act (it had the bowtie). And Hussein's "I'm 'no-scar'! I'm 'no-scar'! ...dot-com" bit referencing an older bit. Oh, and GOB's untied bowtie when he got to the ship, only it was an "untied clip-on". And the "away" joke which I can't even repeat here. And the alopecia/alpaca returning joke. And the "Risky Business" joke set up in reverse. And Anyong/Hello... oh many, those last 2 hours had so much funny it's scary.

Oh yeah, and William Hung and his Hung Jury singing the theme of the renamed "Mock Trial with J. Reinhold"

OC47150
02-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Two hours of great TV, but I have to admit the first half-hour was the funniest. The Judge Reinhold Show and William Hung and the Mock Trial Band was just too much.

OC47150
02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
There were a lot of good inside jokes and slams in the two hours. It was like, what the heck, we're cancelled; what are they going to do to us?

I liked the message on Franklin's shirt too.

JediTricks
02-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Franklin's shirt was priceless. And I loved the Alias-style "IRAQ" only on white text because Fox made them use white fade-outs instead of black (plus, Alias is cancelled too so maybe a joke in that). And the thing with Buster & Michael finding themselves in a strange land, then showing a taxi driving past some oil rigs while the driver is middle eastern, only to find out they're still driving to LAX, that was such an LA joke because there really are those oil fields out here by the airport, and the middle eastern taxi driver thing was perfectly reversed in Iraq with the American taxi driver.

dr_evazan22
02-16-2006, 03:09 PM
I just won the second season on DVD from eBay, need to wait for that. Then wait for this season.

Something else I liked was the end where the TV show was being pitched. Was it a show about nothing? And Ron Howard was there and turning them down.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-18-2006, 12:10 PM
I recently watched the Second Season DVD at my brother's house and I am too disappointed to admit that I did not latch on to this show until it was too late. There are numerous positives about this show, with so many dysfunctional characters, it is hard to have just one favorite. Also the subplots are hilarious, my favorite being the evolving relationship between George Michael and Anne. You can't forget Franklin too, the ghetto puppet. I look forward to seeing Season One on DVD and maybe catching a few episodes of Season Three, soon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks to bit torrent sites and a friend with a burner, i'm happy to say that i now have season 3 on DVD. :crazed: I'm having an AD marathon and just got done with disc #2 of the second season. I don't think i've laughed this hard at a show in a long long time. I hope Showtime brings it back, but if not, i'll have the DVD's to keep me company.......and content until the a-holes at Fox officially release season 3. :thumbsup:

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Season Three 2-Disc set will be out June 13.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5283

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Season 3 has been delayed.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5363

God, I hate Fox.

OC47150
03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Fox is still screwing with us.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, this is as good as any official word we have right now: AD is not coming back.

The Bluths are out of business.

"Arrested Development," the critically praised but low-rated Fox show that won an Emmy for outstanding comedy series, as well as Emmys for writing, will not be resurrected on Showtime as rumors circulating for months have suggested.

A source close to the negotiations said that creator Mitch Hurwitz had decided after a lengthy period of debating an offer from Showtime that "Arrested Development reached its end, creatively, as a series."

Reached on his cell phone while filming a movie in Toronto, star Jason Bateman said he had mixed emotions about the news, saying he was sad for the series to end but happy that the beloved series will live on DVD for people to enjoy.

"I'm so proud of it and so like it as a TV fan that I'm happy we're not going to get a chance to screw it up," he said, in the deadpan style of his character, Michael Bluth, about the only sane member of the dysfunctional Bluth clan. "Our luck wouldn't have held. There would have been cast fighting. We would have messed it up."

Part of the reason Bateman can joke about it now -- and perhaps it will sting a little less painfully for diehard fans -- is that the fate of the series has been in limbo for so long. Though Fox hasn't even officially canceled the series, Fox entertainment President Peter Liguori said months ago that the network was moving on -- and the last four episodes from this truncated third season were burned off in February up against the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics, a sure sign of not being wanted.

Despite the Emmys, the audience never showed up to make "Arrested Development" a hit. Though Fox renewed it for a second season, it ended up cutting the order to 18 (a move spoofed in a later "Arrested Development" episode). When Liguori took over as entertainment president of Fox, one of the first things he was told, according to a source inside the network, was "You don't want to be the guy who cancels 'Arrested Development.' "

But risking a critical backlash was apparently easier to do than making the show profitable, so even though "Arrested Development" was brought back for its third and final season, it was moved to Mondays and limited to 13 episodes.

"Arrested Development" premiered in November 2003 and quickly became a critical darling for its brilliant writing, superb cast and multilayered jokes. Narrated by Ron Howard (whose company produced the series), "Arrested Development" had a faux-documentary, cinema verite style that traced the sorry path of the Bluths from the glory days of their home development company to their cash-strapped existence thanks to a government fraud bust.

The series mined hilarious performances from Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, David Cross, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi and others, plus a string of memorable guest stars.

Bateman, who's in Toronto filming "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" alongside Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman, said "Arrested Development" opened a lot of doors for him. "The people who hand out jobs in L.A. were basically the only ones who watched the show, which worked out great for me. I'm getting a lot of flattering opportunities." Bateman said the reason he got the role in his latest film is "a direct result of 'Arrested Development.' "

Everyone involved in the series benefited, Bateman said, including Fox. "At least they had a presence at the Emmys, which was new for them."

For a series that never attained more than cult status, "Arrested Development" set off one of the strangest behind-the-scenes bidding wars when it was clear Fox had given up on it. The Chronicle first reported that Showtime was interested in picking up the series and moving it to pay cable, where it would not only add significant value to the Showtime lineup but also be immune to the ratings pressure of broadcast television. Then word came that ABC wanted to get into the bidding (probably because "Arrested Development" would have been a good stylistic match for that network's midseason comedy "Sons & Daughters"). Once the ABC interest surfaced, sources inside Fox said the network became worried that it would suffer great embarrassment if it lost the series to a rival that managed to make it a hit. That's partly why no official cancellation came from Fox.

But 20th Century Fox TV, the studio that made "Arrested Development," was clearly pursuing a home for the series. The Showtime offer was reportedly for two 12-episode seasons, with the entire cast coming back. Though the deal was on the table for some time, Hurwitz sounded out cast members about whether it made sense for the show to continue.

Noted for his work on getting all the details right (not just the writing, but the visual humor and the ceaseless references to past episodes and previous punch lines), Hurwitz ended up putting an inordinate amount of time into the series, and no doubt that workload played a part in his decision to pass on the Showtime offer.

Though the demise of one of television's most devastatingly funny comedies deals a blow to the hopes of a diehard audience (not to mention the sitcom genre), Hurwitz and his writers deserve credit for a tremendously effective wrap-up of the myriad story arcs in "Arrested Development." The series would have had to change gears on Showtime.

And as Bateman said about the three-season DVDs: "It's nice that there's a medium to preserve it."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/03/28/GOODMAN.TMP

I understand Mitch not wanting for anything to mess up a new season and feeling it was done. Still, I'll miss it.

and now i'm going to cry in the shower. Excuse me. :( :( :cry: :cry:

El Chuxter
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I'll be gone for a few days. I need to find Hurwitz and kick him in the nads! :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Variety is reporting it too, this time with word from mitch himself.

Hurwitz takes a hike
'Arrested' creator bails as showrunner

By JOSEF ADALIAN

'Arrested Development' was working on a move to Showtime, but the exit of creator Mitch Hurwitz puts the show's future in doubt.

"Arrested Development""Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz says he will not be continuing with the series, throwing a major -- likely fatal -- monkey wrench into attempts to keep the Emmy-winning laffer alive for a fourth season.
Series producers 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TelevisionImagine Television had agreed on a deal to move "Arrested," previously on Fox, to Showtime -- assuming Hurwitz was willing to come back. In the end, however, a mix of creative and financial concerns has prompted Hurwitz to move on.

"The fans have been so ardent in their devotion and in return ... I've given everything I can to the show in order to try to live up to their expectations," Hurwitz told Daily Variety on Monday in a telephone interview from GothamGotham. "I finally reached a point where I felt I couldn't continue to deliver that on a weekly basis."

Nonetheless, Hurwitz said he put off making a final decision on his involvement so Showtime and 20th could talk about a possible deal.

"Of course, if there was enough money in it, I would have happily abandoned the fans' need for quality. But as it turns out, there wasn't," he said.

Indeed, Hurwitz and 20th have long been at odds over finances, sparring over everything from the show's budget to Hurwitz's own compensation. The two sides were unable to come to terms on an overall deal last year, and while creative concerns were clearly at play in Hurwitz's decision, coincoin may have been a key factor, insiders said.

Hurwitz said he had briefed most of the show's cast about his decision, as well as some of the writers. He also talked with exec producer-narrator Ron HowardRon Howard, who asked Hurwitz if he would be willing to continue as a consultant on "Arrested" should 20th and Imagine find a network willing to continue the skeinskein without Hurwitz.

"I said I'd be happy to do that, but that as showrunner, I've gone as far as I can go," he said.

Showtime entertainment toppertopper Bob Greenblatt made it clear in January that Hurwitz's participation in the show was essential to a deal (Daily Variety, Jan. 20). With Hurwitz out of the equation, Showtime is no longer a viable home for "Arrested," insiders said.

It doesn't help that one of Hurwitz's key deputies, exec producer Jim Valleley, also says he won't do the show without his boss. "We couldn't do the show without Mitch Hurwitz, and I wouldn't want to be the guy who tried," Valleley said, who called the apparent end of the show "heartbreaking."

Hurwitz said he had lunch with Showtime entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt even though he was leaning against continuing with the show. "He was actually very persuasive in telling me how much he believed in the show. I walked away thinking, 'Maybe,' " Hurwitz said.

Despite word of tension between Hurwitz and 20th, scribe said the studio and its sister net deserve credit for having produced and aired three seasons of the show.

"I can honestly say I'm appreciative. They put a lot of money into this, and I put a lot of my life into this," he said.

He also hinted that while "Arrested" may have run its course as a TV show as far as he's concerned, he would be interested in reviving the franchise as a feature film.

Reps for 20th and Showtime declined comment. One person familiar with the studio's thinking, however, said fans of the show shouldn't write an obit for "Arrested" just yet, noting 20th is the studio that revived "Family Guy."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940467?categoryid=1417&cs=1&s=h&p=0

JediTricks
03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Anybody else catch Maeby and George Michael (ok, Alia Shawkat and Michael Cera) on Veronica Mars last night? Both did pretty well, but it was so weird seeing them do half-acting/half-caricatures of their characters from AD, and for a moment I thought the writers were going to have George Michael turn out to be the rapist.

OC47150
03-31-2006, 07:59 AM
I saw George Michael, but not Maebe. You're right, Michael was doing a GM imitation, at least during the part I saw.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Vague talks of an AD movie, as alluded to during the epilogue on the last show. The cast has been making minor ramblings about it and IGN talked to Will "Gob" arnett about it.

Gob and the gang may return on the big screen.

Fans of Arrested Development may be small in terms of a television audience, but their numbers and fierce loyalty just may translate to success on the big screen. After the cancellation of the show on Fox last year, speculation of a return on another network, most specifically Showtime, raged on for months.

At this point, the likelihood of a comeback for the show seems unlikely, although creators and cast haven't ruled out the possibility of a feature film version of the show.

While visiting the set of the Bob Odenkirk comedy The Brothers Solomon in Los Angeles this week, IGN had the chance to talk to Will Arnett, who Arrested fans fondly remember as the energetic and awful "illusionist" Gob Bluth.

During interviews for the comedy You, Me and Dupree, co-directors Anthony and Joe Russo purportedly mentioned the possibility of an Arrested Development feature film.

Sitting in the trailer of Will Arnett for a cozy and inviting interview, IGN asked the actor about the possibility. "When did they say that? Yeah, there has been talk of that. I don't know exactly where they're at with that. I've talked about it with Mitch [Hurwitz] and Jason [Bateman] and a little bit with a bunch of people involved with the show and different producers... I'm pretty sure that, obviously it rests on Mitch, any sort of project like that would have to come from him. It would be something that he would be really passionate about. If the story was right and you felt like that the story was right, and by story I mean money, was large enough, then he'd do it…"

Although the prospect of the show returning to small screens appears unlikely, we asked him whether he would still be open to the idea or if he's put the show behind him. "Well, gosh I don't know. It's hard to answer a hypothetical question."

"There are so many moving parts to that. For a long time, we spent the first three years that we were on, we spent almost every week not knowing whether we were going to come back on the following week. Living under those kinds of circumstances, it's not the most ideal. I think that, for the show, in a certain way it actually kind of helped us. We felt like that consummate underdogs. We always kind of used that fear and excitement and anger. I know that Mitch used some of it to fuel the storylines for the show and we used it sometimes in our performances."

"Then with the whole thing about going to Showtime, you know that dragged on for so long, I think that people… By the end of that process, we all kind of felt like the show was over, so I doubt very much that the show would ever come back in a TV show format. But it could live in a different life as a film. That is something that everybody has discussed fairly casually."

As Arnett transitions to the big screen in two Odenkirk projects, Let's Go to Prison and Solomon as well as the Will Ferrell comedy Blades of Glory, he says that the style of Arrested helped him prepare. "It hasn't been that much different. Arrested Development was really like shooting a little movie every week, a twenty minute movie every week."

"Unlike most television sitcoms, we obviously didn't shoot in front of an audience. There was no laugh track on the show, so it was never about hitting the joke and then holding it, it was much more cinematic in that way. Of course it moves a lot quicker in TV. You don't have the luxury of time, you've gotta get the product out. In movies, you have the time to really sort of craft each scene and that's kind of nice."

So, does Arnett miss Gob? "Do I miss Gob? Yeah, to a certain extent I miss Gob. It was a really fun part to play, just that incredible insecurity masked by an incredible amount of bravado. But all of that just a total front for somebody who's not been loved. With that, as an actor, it gave me a lot of license to be kind of awful and simultaneously sweet. We always sort of joked that the writers created these pretty terrible characters. On paper, they were pretty terrible people, and it was always our job to try to make them likable. So I miss that experience, and I do miss Gob, that old rogue."

Source: ign.com

Here's my logic: the movie would no way in hell have a massive budget. With ticket prices being insane these days, even if a few million folks went to see it, it would do roughly 30 million dollars in ticket prices. I nkow this is really premature and whatnot, but the mere THOUGHT or MENTION of this happening makes me giggly, awfully giggly. No telling how many times i'd see it in the first weekend, probably 5ish.

Pray with me, fellow AD fans. Let this happen! :crazed:

and DVD set: August 29th. don't forget! I've been having a mini marathon to prepare myself for it. Granted, i'll JUST be starting grad school by then and teaching, but thats' why we have weekends. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-19-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure the format would really work for a movie, but I'd see it. I doubt it'd cost very much to make, so that's a big bonus right there. I'd also be down for mini-series, direct-to-video movies, TV movies, whatever.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Just a heads up: AD season 3 hits DVD on Tuesday, the 29th!! I'm going to browse the ads this weekend and hopefully post the lowest advertised price.

and there was an interview at IGN with Tony Hale and he said he's heard rumors about an eventual AD movie. Nothing concrete, but it's still fun to imagine it happening.

and in honor of AD season 3, I changed my icon and signature to Tobias dining at the BK lounge. :crazed:

OC47150
08-24-2006, 12:30 PM
G4 TV (the old Tech TV) is going to air AD at 11:30 p.m. starting in the near future.

dr_evazan22
08-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Great 'tar there JMG! I'm looking forward to the 3rd season - just finished watching seaon 1 again.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Great 'tar there JMG! I'm looking forward to the 3rd season - just finished watching seaon 1 again.

Thanks. and its' funny you mention you just got done watching s1 cos that's EXACTLY what i'm doing. I got about 3-4 episodes left and then onto season 2. I'm in Grad School right now, but luckily, the load isn't insane yet and i have 98% of my assignments for next week done. I plan to hit season 2 tomorrow and maybe saturday. I'm pretty excited for an official season 3 DVD. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-25-2006, 04:18 PM
FYI: Target has both seasons for 19.99 each. At least my Targets do, so, everybody else should check theirs. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I found a few random prices for season 3:

Best buy: 19.99
target: 22.99
Wal-Mart: 21.25

If anybody sees any other prices/promotions, post'em! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Circuit City is also $19.99, and they're not evil like Best Buy. :) I bet a lot of Wal-Marts that are located close to Best Buys and Circuit Citys will be in the $18.99 range.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Circuit City is also $19.99, and they're not evil like Best Buy. :) I bet a lot of Wal-Marts that are located close to Best Buys and Circuit Citys will be in the $18.99 range.

Best Buy had the lowest price around here for 19.99. My WM had it for 23.99. F that!

Picked it up, did a Gob chicken dance and then proceeded to the register. I had my marathon last weekend and i'll save my season 3 marathon for my 4 day weekend coming up here soon. Good times. :crazed:

El Chuxter
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm trying to save money on this sort of stuff (with all sorts of baby stuff to buy in a much shorter time frame than planned), but I ordered it on amazon.com for $19.99, and added The Transformers: The Movie: 20th Anniversary Edition in the same order so I don't have to pay for them until November!

I don't get to see AD until then, either, unfortunately.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Has anybody else watched the Blooper reel on season 3? Oh man, i'm going to go out on a limb and say its' the best blooper reel yet. I never knew the cast, especially Jason Bateman, had such filthy mouths. It's hysterical. :lipsrsealed:

OC47150
09-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Caught a couple of reruns of AD on Comedy Central last night. First season episodes. Forgot how funny the show was.

Shame on you, Fox!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
wait wait, Comedy Central has reruns of AD?!!??

OC47150
09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
My mistake. It was G4. G4 and Comedy Central are two channels off, and I surf. :razz:

OC47150
09-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I found this link on another web site and had to share it.

http://www.threadpit.com/store/product.php?productid=210&cat=250&page=1

JediTricks
09-22-2006, 05:23 PM
That's pretty good! :D

dr_evazan22
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Just turned on the TV for Lost and there was a commercial for Macy's... The only person in the commercial was the girl who played Marta. She's freakin' hot!

JediTricks
10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Just turned on the TV for Lost and there was a commercial for Macy's... The only person in the commercial was the girl who played Marta. She's freakin' hot!
Thank you! I've been trying to place the actress in that commercial, I recognized her but couldn't remember what from, I've seen it a few times already.

David Cross has a new cartoon on after South Park, and the voice actor of the guy who is trying to buy their freakshow is none other than fellow ADer Will Arnett - GOB himself.

RooJay
10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Which Marta? She was played by two different actresses - Leonor Varlea, who played the vampire princess Nyssa in Blade 2 and Patricia Velasquez who played Anck Su Namun in the Brandon Fraser Mummy films. Both are freakin' hot.

dr_evazan22
10-07-2006, 11:57 AM
.... uh... Yeah! Her!

dr_evazan22
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
BTW - I ordered 2 t-shirts from that site that OC47150 listed (the "Illusion..." t, and "12 parsecs"). I've got to say I'm a little disappointed upon receiving them. They seem like the iron-on's that were so popular in the ... Well, when I was a kid. Haven't worn either yet, but I get the impression that it'll start to peel after some washings.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
dusting off this thread as Jason Bateman chatted about the possible ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT movie that Will Arnett has also mentioned is in the works.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1590059/story.jhtml

The videos show more of Bateman talking about the show, i think it's the 3rd or 4th video that starts it. He chats about it under the video labeled I CAN FLY! and then goes on from there. I gotta say I really hope this eventually happends cos I miss the Bluth family quite a bit. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Liza Minelli has been saying she has been talking to Jason Bateman about getting her character into the movie, treating it as a foregone conclusion that the movie will be made. I hope she's right.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Liza Minelli has been saying she has been talking to Jason Bateman about getting her character into the movie, treating it as a foregone conclusion that the movie will be made. I hope she's right.

Oh, she'd totally have to be in the movie as well. Where else could we get a brownish area......with points!?!?! :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I's almost bittersweet that a film is likely in the works- the show REALLY worked in an episodic format due to the utter ridiculousness of much of it, I am not sure how that might translate to feature length. I'll see it no matter what tho, should it happen, gotta get me some more Job
:beard: Iso&Baws

"it wasn't my magic Michael........ It was my ILLUSION!!!!!"

El Chuxter
07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't know how this would work as a movie. In fact, as much as I love the show, I'm not entirely sure it would.

JediTricks
04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
So, Mitch Hurwitz produced a new cartoon for Fox on sunday, "Sit Down, Shut Up", it's based on an Australian live-action sitcom. This has Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Henry Winkler from AD, plus a smattering of crapmonkeys from the last decade of SNL. It's very self-aware, but its comedy is mixed and rather broad without as much cleverness as AD. Still, on the whole I enjoyed it and found a few of the jokes and reads hit it out of the park, but the majority did sag a few times into lazy, cheap writing. I'm sure Fox will cancel it pretty soon, it lost a lot of lead in and got poor reviews.

EDIT: I see Bill Oakley's involvement was ended midway through production. While Oakley has some interesting styles, this show REEKS of his lesser ideas (Miracle Grohe and her baby are like pure offshoots of his "Mission Hill" which he co-produced with another of this new show's producers, Josh Weinstein).

DarthQuack
12-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Added all three seasons to my instant on Netflix. ;)

bigbarada
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I heard that they were supposed to be making an Arrested Development movie? Was that ever true?

JediTricks
12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Each time it's brought up, they keep saying it's true, "soon", but honestly I'm beginning to feel like it's their shared joke on the questioner at this point.

El Chuxter
12-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I worry that a film couldn't capture what made the show great. I'd rather see a Deadwood movie to tie up the loose ends from that show.

DarthQuack
12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
It's a little late, but still available....the complete series is Amazon's deal of the day for only $27.99....I went ahead and picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27