PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy the OT DVDs or SW:Battlefront?

JediTricks
09-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Last Tuesday was the official release of the Original Trilogy DVD boxed set and the Star Wars:Battlefront videogame here in the US, and other countries around the world has been seeing releases of these titles over the past week as well. It has been just under a week since their release, yet the news of Tuesday's global Star Wars sales (http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30630) from those 2 titles is still reverberating as most impressive - $115 million for one day's take. This week's poll attempts to find out how many people contributed to that monster record-breaking number.

So, did you buy the OT DVDs or SW:Battlefront, or both?

stillakid
09-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I preordered Battlefront (mainly to get the figure).

Haven't picked up the SuperNifty 3.0 DVD yet and in no hurry. But I do want to see the extras so maybe soon.

But I did order some "bootleg" DVD burns (off the Laserdisks) of the original 1.0 versions so hopefully they'll come soon so I can see Star Wars again the way it was meant to be seen. ;)

waboritas
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I bought neither. My b-day is in a month and I announced to my family last night to but the Silver one for me.

plasticfetish
09-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Haven't picked up the SuperNifty 3.0 DVD yet and in no hurry. But I do want to see the extras so maybe soon.Ditto. I'm waiting to see if a friend can get it for me for cost -- otherwise, I'm in no hurry. (Though I've gotta admit, I'm likely to break down and get it any time now.)

Battlefront I really want, but I'm willing to tough it out and wait 'til it gets marked down in a few months.

dindae
09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I bought Battlefront to get the figure and because I that it looked awesome. Unfortunately my system is so slow that it is like the Matrix bullet time mode all the time. I still have played some and since I can dodge bullets I'm like a god. :D Guess it's time to finally update my system.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-27-2004, 10:00 PM
I ain'ts got neither yet, but as pf and waboritas stated, it's only a matter of time before I get them both. :evil:

I do have some money to burn, but I have other needs that need attending to, like gasoline and food. :classic:

Eventually, in a month, I'll probably break down and get both. :cool:

Kidhuman
09-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I only got Battlefront, refuse to buy the DVD's. I do want to see the bonus disc, but my parents and plenty of others have bought the set, so I will just bum it from them.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I bought the game and the movies. I've watched IV and V so far. I've played a little bit of the game, but not online. I got the X-Box version. I started playing the single player historical missions and made it through Tatooine and Rhen War, but am now stuck on Yavin. I got the strategy guide too so I'll have to make use of that.

LusiferSam
09-28-2004, 01:28 AM
The DVD's hold no appeal to because Mr. Lucas has screwed up these films so badly and the only DVD player I have is in my computer. At this point I also have no interest in Battlefront either for a couple of reasons. First, my machine is old enough the system requirements likely exceed it. Second, Aspyr hasn't had time to write a Mac version. Third, SW games don't interest me like they use to. And finally I don't have time right now for another detraction.

Knightfall
09-28-2004, 06:35 AM
I have not nor will I buy the DVDs, but like Stillakid, I have ordered a set of laserdisc transfers of the original Original Trilogy. I probably won't get Battlefront because I'm terrible at video games that are more complex than Super Mario World for SNES.:p

jeffonthego
09-28-2004, 06:36 AM
I'm boycotting the DVDs until Lucas offers the original versions.

Until then, I'll probably download the DVD-R rips from the laser discs.

scruffziller
09-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Only got the DVDs. I didn't think the graphics for the game looked that good.

Slicker
09-28-2004, 05:23 PM
I do have some money to burn, but I have other needs that need attending to, like gasoline and food. :classic: And you call yourself a fan. Gasoline, food, a collector craves not these things.

I only bought the DVD's. My brother said Battlefront was good but not long enough.

Ji'dai
09-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Neither. However, I did pick out a DVD set but I won't get it until Christmas. As long as I'm not buying it, I don't mind getting the set. I don't really need another copy of the films since I have two or three sets of the OT on VHS, the regular and Definitive Collection laserdiscs, and boots of the SEs.

I'm not really into video games any more, but Battlefront looks neat. I might pick it up on clearance six months down the road.

PloKoon2385
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
I bought both. I am unimpressed with the DVD's. I am terribly disappointed in the change of Boba's voice, and the addition of Hayden Christensen. I don't MIND the change in the emperor in ESB or the addition of Naboo in ROTJ. The change in Jabba was alright. Now, if Mr. Lucas releases the ORIGINAL trilogy, I would be quite pleased! Battlefront is awesome. Not only can I snipe at Ewoks and Gungans, but I get to pilot a freakin' AT-AT!
On a different note, I work at Albertson's (a grocery store) in the video department. Many of you may not know this, but I was very pleased with the promo pack they sent us. It came with a Darth Vader window cling, a poster with the Heroes on it (aka the silver picture on the DVD box), many buttons featuring the pics on both sides of the DVD box, and a huge roll of stickers (which were the pictures found on the DVD's). It was very fun. My store did a "STAR WARS week" in which we decorated, watched the movies and did Star Wars trivia. It was highly successful. All in all, I am very happy with the release. Besides, it makes my DVD shelf look much better with that addition! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
09-28-2004, 08:02 PM
I bought neither. I couldn't find the OT DVDs anywhere so I had to settle for the SE DVD set instead. :( ;)

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 08:33 PM
I couldn't pass up the best presentation of the OT films to date so yeah, I bought the DVD's. The anamorphic pic and DD-EX sound is so much better than the LD's and aweful DVD LD-rips which looked like utter garbage when I compared them to the new DVD's. There is just no comparison, the new DVD's show how the OT was meant to be seen and sound. Glad I got it. :D

I rented Battlefront for the kids, and ended up waisting my Monday playing the game all day. I agree that it is a little short, but still fun.

[DSS]Pedr0
09-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Got the DVDs and X-Box version along with the PC version. Good stuff man.

Reefer Shark
09-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I got both. Wasn't going to buy Battlefront, but couldn't pass it up at $36.99. Now I'm very glad I did buy it, it's such a fun game.

I would like the un-altered Trilogy on DVD too, but I have to say that I'm pleased with the new set. The picture and sound quality are so much better than anything we've had before.

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
I picked up Battlefront. I had high expectations and I'm pretty sure that alone is the reason I'm disappointed with it. I'm sure if I still had my cable modem and could play online it would be much more fun, since that was obviously the goal for this one. Don't get me wrong. The game is fun, but the Historical Campaign is too short and Galactic Conquest gets repetitive. But since I can't get enough of rolling around as a droideka and wasting ARC troopers, I'm sure I'll keep playing this long after I'm sick of it!

OC47150
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Just the DVDs. A friend bought Battlefront and has invited me to come over and play it.

Jedi
09-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know if there is a demo version of Battlefront available for the PC anywhere? Before I buy the full retail version, I'd like to try it out first, but the Lucasarts webpage says that it is still coming soon. So for right now, all that I have purchased has been the DVD box set. Too bad "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" is not on the bonus disc - that is ESSENTIAL Star Wars viewing.

Rocketboy
09-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Just the DVDs. If had enough cash, I would've picked up both.
But I'm supposed to be getting a refund from school. Morons overcharged everyone for tuition for like the 3rd time (It's how I got the Indiana Jones box set last year). Hopefully I get enough back so that I can buy the online adapter too. If not, I'll have to get the adapter for Christmas.

dr_evazan22
09-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I just bought the DVD so far. Thought the "Making of" doc was good. Almost broke down and bought the game. I'm glad I haven't, at least yet. Money is tight, and time to play is even tighter.

ronhudy
09-29-2004, 01:57 PM
I bought the DVD's. I think they're O.K. Yeah, there's some stuff I don't like compared to the original trilogy versions, but I'm not one of these die-hard purists who is going to refuse to buy them...I enjoy watching the movies with my kids, and now we can watch them all the time and not worry about screwing up the VHS tapes.

The only 2 things I didn't really like and didn't think worked was the "re-re-edited" Greedo/Han Cantina encounter, and the ROTJ appearance of Hayden. Other than that, the other changes are minor and to me, don't distract from the original story.

(Oh yeah...I don't like the music at the end of ROTJ either - the added scenery is fine, but the original music was better.)

El Chuxter
09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
I would've bought both, had the SOBs at LucasArts made a stinkin' GameCube version of Battlefront. One of the main factors my wife used in picking which game system to get for me last Christmas was which had the most (and coolest) exclusive SW games, and the Rogue Squadron series was the clear winner (at least at that point). And now they seem to be abandoning me. :mad:

That's okay. You folks with your loser PS2s and X-Boxes can't play Luigi's Mansion! :p

I did get to play Battlefront this weekend, and it was a downright awesome game. :beard:s to the programmers of that! And an :Ogre: for not putting it on my system.

Hellboy
09-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I bought the DVD's and 2 copies of Battlefront for the Xbox. I'm currently enjoying both immensely. :)

Reefer Shark
09-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I would've bought both, had the SOBs at LucasArts made a stinkin' GameCube version of Battlefront. One of the main factors my wife used in picking which game system to get for me last Christmas was which had the most (and coolest) exclusive SW games, and the Rogue Squadron series was the clear winner (at least at that point). And now they seem to be abandoning me. :mad:

That's okay. You folks with your loser PS2s and X-Boxes can't play Luigi's Mansion! :p

I did get to play Battlefront this weekend, and it was a downright awesome game. :beard:s to the programmers of that! And an :Ogre: for not putting it on my system.
Easy answer to that, just convince the little lady to get you an X-Box this Christmas (I know, easier said than done). If you do that, then you'll be covered on SW exclusive games. You can enjoy KOTOR goodness too!

It's ok to have multiple systems. I have an X-Box, and I can still play Luigi's Mansion if I want! :silly:

Reefer Shark
09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
I bought the DVD's and 2 copies of Battlefront for the Xbox. I'm currently enjoying both immensely. :)
Hey bud, just curious:

Why two copies of Battlefront? You do the system link thang?

Hellboy
09-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey bud, just curious:

Why two copies of Battlefront? You do the system link thang?

Yeah thats exactly why, its a blast playing that way. I moved my 30 inch tv that was in my bedroom, that saw little to no use, out to the front room and put it behind the 50. My friend brings his Xbox over and we link them with anywhere from 4 to 6 of us battling at a time. We're usually playing Halo but Battlefront is the new addiction. At least until Halo 2 comes out on Nov. 9th. :alien:

Kyle Katarn
09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
I bought my copy of OT DVDs and I'm planning to buy Battlefront next time I got to USA (here in Mexico games are harder to find and much more expensive)but it'll be for my PC i got a GameCube(Luigi'sMansion is great!)

Reefer Shark
09-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah thats exactly why, its a blast playing that way. I moved my 30 inch tv that was in my bedroom, that saw little to no use, out to the front room and put it behind the 50. My friend brings his Xbox over and we link them with anywhere from 4 to 6 of us battling at a time. We're usually playing Halo but Battlefront is the new addiction. At least until Halo 2 comes out on Nov. 9th. :alien:
Sweet man, sounds like a good time. A buddy and I are talking about doing that at his pad (He has a 50 also), but we only have a few freinds that would actually play.