PDA

View Full Version : Doom Patrol #4 this Wed, Sept 29th

RodOdom
09-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Don't miss the conclusion of Doom Patrol's two-part adventure under the Antarctic. Here's a four page preview:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0409/23/dcfirsts.htm

Also, check out the complete pencils to the previous three Doom Patrol issues:

http://jbgallery.ourbunch.net/pencilscans.html

Beast
09-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I've been following the numbers for the book, and it doesn't really seem to be selling all that well. Dropping monthly it seems to be, coming in at #82 for Issue 3. Not suprisingly, since it annoyed a lot of people that it completly negated the old Doom Patrol continuity.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
09-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Don't miss the conclusion of Doom Patrol's two-part adventure under the Antarctic. Here's a four page preview:

Excuse me while I stifle my yawn.

RodOdom
09-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Issue #1 sold just around 41,000 copies. Issue #2 sold in the 30,000 range. Issue #3 sold 28,000 - but because retailers have to order months in advance the drop really can't be the fault of how issue #1 was received by the readers. On the Byrne board several fans said they couldn't find #3 at their LCS; hopefully reorders will push sales up a bit.

RodOdom
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Several reviews have just come out for this issue:

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=30573

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/109677346968613.htm

http://fourcolorexplosion.com/review.php?m=09&d=29&y=2004&rt=mainstream

ComixFan reviewer Eric Travis writes:

"All in all, it's a really satisfying read. The approach taken with this creative team means the end product has a kind of timeless quality to it. Especially with the JLA not stopping in, it would be just as readable in the mid-1980's as it is today. Now, I've said it before, so I'll say it again. This book isn't going to please everyone, and it isn't trying to. But in a year where Earth's Mightiest Heroes are being pulled apart and the secret identities come back to bite Superfriends in the proverbial kiester, or when every fifth author feels the need to create some overreaching metaplot, I confess it is a welcome pleasure to read something both weird and fun, with the 'classic' feel that I grew up enjoying. Doom Patrol might not be forging any new paths, but it does remind me why I started walking these paths in the first place."

B'Omarr Monkey
10-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure what you see in this comic, especially enough to be promoting it so heavily as if you had a personal stake in its success, RodOdom. I guess I'm just one of those people this book isn't going to please. I've read the first three issues: boring stories, and dull, indistinct characters. For a series that John Byrne has wanted to do for a long time, it sure doesn't read like his heart is into it.

If I want something weird and fun I'll turn to "Hellboy," or "Midnight, Mass."

RodOdom
10-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Bomarr. I don't have a personal stake in the book, other than being a big Byrne fan who wants to see more of it. I'm not a comics professional and have no interest whatsoever in becoming one. I understand and respect your opinion of the book, but I do post to comic boards like these because there might very well be some who would enjoy this version of Doom Patrol.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-10-2004, 10:38 PM
RodOdom, I do not begrudge you that whatsoever. Just trying to stimulate some lively discussion. My feelings are that everyone's opinion is right, to them, despite what I think, and I respect that. One person's trash is another's treasure and vice versa, hence the success of ebay.

I also commend you for doing your part to promote a comic book series that you enjoy. The state of the comic book industry is such that this sort of word of mouth recommendation is essential to the survival and growth of any comic book series, and the best way for you to continue to enjoy that series is to do your best to make sure more people buy it. As someone who is a comic book professional, I wish there were more people like you out there. The comic book companies themselves are certainly not promoting their own product beyond house ads which only reach their own readership base, and once that first issue is out, those ads disappear.

I have been a fan of John Byrne's for a very long time, as well as a fan of the Doom Patrol, so I was hoping for the best, and am probably more critical than indifferent, to what I find is it's lack of success (on a storytelling level, not a financial one) because I am well aware of what Byrne is capable of achieving when he's at his best. For me, I feel like he's just walking through this, and not really applying himself.

I will probably read up through issue #5 before completely condemning it, but unless he starts coming up with stories suitable to the "World's Strangest Heroes" I'll probably stop. So far, I have not seen anything that couldn't be placed in the pages of "Hawkman" or "Green Arrow," which defeats the need of having such a team. I also don't find the characters to be very engaging. Cliff Steele was always the most likeable member of the Doom Patrol, and here he still feels like a cypher. Rita is by far the most interesting, which is not surprising to me, given Byrne's handling of female charcters in the past, but I get no real sense of anyone else, and feel that the new members are really disposable with nothing to recommend them.

As long as you enjoy it though, then remember you are right and I'm not.