PDA

View Full Version : VOTC Stormtrooper

AmanaMatt
09-28-2004, 03:26 AM
I spent an hour writing a kick-arse review going into great detail about every aspect of this new fig, but due to the fact that I did not log in prior to writing it, I lost everthing. Instead, I am going to give you a short, but very honest review:

THE VOTC STORMTROOPER ROCKS!

Honestly, this is the figure we all had wished the Commtech one was; if you have the S.A. Clonetrooper figure, this version is capable of all the same poses that one could do, given the 14 points of articulation on this new VOTC version - at this point, I cannot think of how else this figure could have been articulated - he has it all, and btw, that includes both wrists (and not just the one as was hinted at in the offical site preview).

The proportioned helmet rocks, as does the overall sculpt of this figure: from the 'holster' down to the armor, this is a very sharp looking figure!

There is only one negative downside to this very excellent figure, and that is the plastic(s) used. The arms, legs, arms and head are all molded in a pinkish/hue whereas the chest and lower torso are a bright white plastic - while not really noticeable within online pics, this is pretty obvious in person.

Aside from this, the VOTC Stormtrooper figure is the best version we have ever seen in the 3 3/4" scale. Some will trip out given that this fig is $10, and the equally articulated Clontrooper was $5, but come on: this is a S.A. Stormtrooper! To me, that makes it easily worth the extra money.

plasticfetish
09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah... I just got my hands on one of these yesterday, and though I'm still fiddling around with it (not ready for a full review) I'd say it's probably the best Stormtrooper yet. But yeah, the most expensive also.

How's the torso joint on yours? Mine's kind of wonky, and it's a bit tricky to get him to lock into a pose.

Also, has anyone noticed the tiny letter "L" on the left foot and on the left shoulder? (Not exactly $10 detail quality as far as I'm concerned.)

anti-hero
09-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Does it have the hip joints like VOTC Luke and SA Clone Trooper?

plasticfetish
09-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Does it have the hip joints like VOTC Luke and SA Clone Trooper?You mean the waist? If so, then yes. I've both of those figures loose, and they're great, so...

I may have simply gotten one that was assembled poorly, but even so, it's not terrible. (Could be better though.) Just curious to know if this is a running problem. I'd be less apt to buy another to open if it is.

AmanaMatt
09-29-2004, 02:06 AM
How's the torso joint on yours? Mine's kind of wonky, and it's a bit tricky to get him to lock into a pose.

Also, has anyone noticed the tiny letter "L" on the left foot and on the left shoulder? (Not exactly $10 detail quality as far as I'm concerned.)

The torso on mine is pretty much like my S.A. Clontroopers - the VOTC Stormie I have seems fine as far as the torso joint goes; I would never have noticed the 'L' but it is there - I see it on the foot, but not on the shoulder.

If it wasn't for the funky plastic used, this would have been my fav VOTC.

plasticfetish
09-29-2004, 06:20 AM
I see what you mean by the different kinds (and colors) of plastic, but side by side, this one and the SA Clone are pretty much the same. Here's the pic I just put in the Database...
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=6957&sort=7&cat=1254&page=1

I'd say they're really similar as far as quality goes, and the articulation is exactly the same for both.

More pics for those that haven't got their hands on the VOTC Stormtrooper yet, here...
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1254&page=1&sort=7

Hellboy
09-29-2004, 04:02 PM
This is one amazing figure. I even like it better than the SA Clone Trooper. Unlike the SA Clone though they actually put peg holes in the feet and even though they're rather shallow I'm just happy I don't need to make my own this time. Its also pretty cool that the blaster fits into the holster but it would've been nice if the reverse side of the holster was enclosed. Oh well its a minor gripe for what is otherwise a fantastic figure, my favorite in the modern line thus far.

I don't have a problem paying $10 for a figure of this caliber especially when its one of the coolest charcters designs in the SW universe and an army builder at that. I just hope I can find more at retail, alot more. :greedy:

Grade A++

AmanaMatt
09-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Awsome pics, plasticfetish.

Interesting how the slightly different shades of the fig do not really show in pics - they do in person, however.

I am sure that this will be the fig Hasbro will release from time to time over the years - it would be hard to improve on this very much...even a few years down the road, but never say never.

As great as this fig is - and it is awsome, it does give me a new appreciation for the $5 S.A. Clonetrooper - sometimes Hasbro just gets a figure 'right.'

I am also concerned about finding more of this guy at retail - ideally, I would like three or so open form my loose set - I also like how the Commtech Stormie does hold his own side-by-side. While the VOTC blows him away with articulation, they do look great together.

Ka-Spel
10-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Just picked up OTC Stormtrooper, $15 ouch!
out of a scale of 1 to 10 i give it an 8, why an 8? Dont get me worng, its a great figure and ive been waiting for Hasbro to up-date this figure for such a long time and i had hopes that they would make it like the SA Clone trooper, they did but...

Originally Posted by anti-hero
Does it have the hip joints like VOTC Luke and SA Clone Trooper?

NO, they did not make the hips like the SA Clone and to me that make the posing of this Fig slightly, so slightly limited. This is a disappointment, with a ball joint hip the poses this Fig could make would deserve a 10. Another disappointment is the left hand, the Blaster cant quite fit into his fist and when you do get it in it bends the gun so it looks bad. This problem with the sculping of the hands has been a problem for a long time. And lastly the torso, if Hasbro trimed or shaved a bit inside bottom of the torso where it meets the uper top you would have a bit more play to pose this figure just like in the moives.

OK, so you must feel like i hate this guy, well i dont. This is by far the BEST figure they made. The likeness is dead on, the helmet sculpt is perfect, i had to scrape some extra paint off around the eyes. Now if only Hasbro would make a SA Stormtrooper Trooper builder box set, they would clean up $$. Wouldn't you buy 10 or more of these? And they would save $ on packaging, no color printing for cardback, just stuff them in a box and ship them off.

I hope that you find this at TRU or Target for $10, i had to shuck out the $15 becuz my TRU was out and i had to go to Newbury Comics (a cool music store chain here in MA) and unfortunately they price Action Figures 2 to 5 bucks over SRP.

thanks for read'n this.
~K~

plasticfetish
10-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that you had to pay a little extra Ka-Spel, but I guess (and I guess I can't believe I'm saying this) if you had to pay a little more -- this is one's not so bad.

I agree with the what you said about the torso. I've opened two of these now, and though my second one is better, It's not perfect. Being realistic though, these are probably just as poseable as with a real Stormtrooper suit. :)

Not sure what you mean by the hips not being like the SA Clone though. As far as I can tell (having one of each on the desk right now) they're the same. The clone doesn't have a ball socket hip either.

I also like how the Commtech Stormie does hold his own side-by-side. While the VOTC blows him away with articulation, they do look great together.Agreed. I've been picking up a few more of the OTC (commtech) troopers, and they've made a nice little group on my desk. :)

Ka-Spel
10-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Man, my bad!
I totally thought that the SA Clone had poseable hips, after i had posted i checked out the Clone and i was shocked that i was mistaken. Not a bad idea for Hasbro to add ball hips like OTC Luke, *NOTE to HASBRO: DO IT !!!

As i looked over the StormTrooper i was thinking that i might tweak the figure a bit. There is this product call TOOL DIP, its a liquid plastic that you dip a handle of a hammer, pliers or screw drivers. I want to apply thin coats of black to the ball head to cover up the white. *WARNING* if you use TOOL DIP you must get a proper Filter Mask, this stuff will turn you into Forrest Gump. I donít mean the flimsy painter masks, you need the ones with the screw on filter, READ THE LABEL!
I also want to try to add ball hips to him, this will take much planing and I want to do it right. The hands must be worked too. Im also gonna try to make a HERO Helmet, the one with the smaller mouth, it was what Luke wore in ANH so i will have to cast a new head. If all goes well Iíll post a picture but this wont be for some time.

P.S. how the heck do i add my own Avatar under my name, i dont want to use what this site offers, and there's no "add from my computer" option. If you know how, and i know you all do, PLEASE spell it out in detail on how to. THANKS!!!!!!

plasticfetish
10-04-2004, 01:20 AM
after i had posted i checked out the Clone and i was shocked that i was mistaken. Not a bad idea for Hasbro to add ball hips like OTC Luke, *NOTE to HASBRO: DO IT !!Yeah, I agree. It would have worked pretty well on this Stormtrooper -- much better than it could have on the Clonetrooper, 'cause of the armor design.

Speaking of Luke... one of my beefs with this Stormtrooper figure, is that the head ballsocket is a different size than the one for the VOTC Luke and Han heads. It would have been stupidly expensive, but I'd love to of had the option to create my own Han or Luke in Stormtrooper armor by switching them around. :ermm:

---

The avatar thing depends on how many posts you have in. I think it's after 75 or 100 (can't remember now exactly. Anyone?) that you can post your own.

Turbowars
10-04-2004, 08:05 PM
In Cartman's voice, "I hate you Guys";)

Having bit of a problem finding these guys.

plasticfetish
10-04-2004, 09:16 PM
The one and only good thing about hitting the downtown Long Beach Wal*Mart, was that they had a few of these. (I almost hesitated to grab them.) I'm not seeing anything on the pegs right now.

I'd really have to assume (hope anyway) that they'll put this one out as a regular carded figure in the future.

AmanaMatt
10-05-2004, 02:44 AM
I'd really have to assume (hope anyway) that they'll put this one out as a regular carded figure in the future.

I agree - just without the F'd up plastic. Interchangeable heads would have been a great idea for customizers; I wish they had done that.

plasticfetish
10-11-2004, 04:16 AM
(OK, the "big" review...)

If there's ever been a "meat and potatoes" Star Wars figure, then it's got to be the Stormtrooper. When I was a kid in the '70s, the one figure that you needed to have multiples of was the Stormtrooper. When I started collecting again in the mid '90s, the one figure that I knew I'd want at least 2 or 3 of, was the Stormtrooper. Today it takes a huge amount of self control to pass them up when I see them on the pegs, and with the new "Vintage Original Trilogy Collection" Stormtrooper here, it looks like I'm likely to be tempted again and again.

How's the packaging? The VOTC packaging is a common site on the pegs at this point, and with the Stormtrooper we get a familiar sort of thing. The classic Return of the Jedi card, the smallish rounded "bath tub" bubble -- all sealed up in that very special "protective" case. Seeing it hanging there (if you can find one) really grabs your attention. Overall, I think Hasbro did a decent job of recreating the vintage card fronts. They're not perfect, and when you compare this front to the image of the vintage version on the back, you can see a few subtle differences -- things like the Return of the Jedi logo font being a little thicker and more widely spaced, or the metallic effect being a bit more pronounced and detailed on the vintage card. My only serious complaint about the front of the packaged toy, is that the black and silver paper stuff at the bottom of the case obscures a lot of the card art. As well, the "choking hazard" warning obscures the film logo. I can't help but think that it should have been possible to design this case in a way that avoids this -- especially since the packaging stands as a major justification for this toys higher price. The card back is again decent, but it isn't done in any kind of "vintage" style and therefore isn't particularly special. (I do like the embossed "Star Wars" on the case back.) My last minor criticism about the entire plastic case idea, is that having them taped shut isn't really very "archival" and I'm not looking forward to seeing that tape yellow in the years to come. This can be avoided I suppose, by opening it up and throwing the packaging away. Which I did...

So, how does the figure look? The first thing that I noticed is that there's a crispness of detail about this figure that isn't there for any other Trooper figure. All of the parts and pieces have nice sharp edges and things like mechanical detail and costume seams are well defined. Then there's a question of accuracy, if you start with the helmet and work down, I think it's fair to say that we've got some pretty good accuracy here. It's not perfect in a few ways -- the helmet brow seems thin, the neck ball joint should be all black and the belt seems like it should be thicker. But that's all picky detail stuff, and the fact is, that given the articulation, it's possible to put this figure in some great looking poses like no other Stormtrooper figure that's come before. This counts for a lot to me, and it's very exciting to have in my hands just the kind of figure -- and not just Stormtrooper figure, but Star Wars figure in general, that most of us have asked for year after year. My one significant dislike, is the way the gun holster looks and functions. The blaster doesn't sit inside very well, so I'd rather have seen them skip the open holster idea if they couldn't do it right.

How does the toy feel? I've been twisting, turning, pulling and bending this toy, and it seems to be well built overall. The plastic used is pretty solid, the joints are all very tight -- maybe even too tight at first. In general, it feels like a good quality Star Wars figure. I'm very happy with this, because the figure's sturdiness makes playing with it's articulation all the more fun.

How about play value? The VOTC Stormtrooper is great to fiddle around with. The articulation that I've mentioned is just about everything that I could have ever wanted from a figure at this scale. Maybe I'd have liked some ball socket hip joints, but other than that, I have no complaints. It's an addictive little toy, and a pretty big distraction to have it sitting out on my desk. I can only imagine that a kid would love this figure -- but I'm also imagining that there aren't many kids who are able to afford these at $10 if they do manage to find them at all. To me, that's really the biggest down side to this toy and the entire VOTC line. Here we've been given the kind of action figure that for ages we've said that we'd like to see, and it's being given to us at twice the cost of a standard figure. As well, it's been slated for only this one release, and so far they're hard to find in the stores -- so there's a good chance that you might not see them at all. (Unless you choose to pay scalper prices... and I don't.) So, the question of "play value" really has everything to do with being able to find and afford this toy. If I were to totally ignore the availability and cost issues, I'd simply say that it's great. But I can't ignore them, so I'm going to have to (reluctantly) say that the VOTC Stormtrooper has really turned out to be a huge and annoying tease -- and that's not fun.

If you did find one, would I recommend that you buy it? Yes, I sure would, but I'd also recommend that you resist the urge to buy multiples of them, especially at $10 a pop. (I'd also seriously recommend fighting the urge to pay scalper's prices.) I'm happy to have the ones that I have, and I do (price aside) also like having one to keep packaged, because they look nice on display. What would really make me happy is to see Hasbro release this figure in large numbers, on a basic card at the basic price point, to give us all the chance to have as many of this very nice "meat and potatoes" figure that we want. If they did that, then I'd once again be happy to tell them just what a great job they're doing of putting out fantastic looking toys that are fun to play with. As is, knowing that most people are having to do without the VOTC Stormtrooper so far, I'm going to only give them a quiet thumbs up, and wait to see what comes next.

vader121
10-11-2004, 09:38 AM
I agree, besides the price this figure is awesome! I picked one up to open last week due to the sale at Target and it is a great figure.

However I can't get the gun to fit in the holster but that is ok because you can pose the Stormtrooper at attention with both hands on gun which I love. I have waited for one that can do this for a long time. Now I need to get about 100 more for a suitable Emperor's Arrival scene (never happen).

bobafrett
10-19-2004, 03:07 PM
I've managed to get three of these VOTC Stormtrooper figures. I of course keep one sealed, but I got a second one to open. After opening and playing with all the articulated parts, I knew I would need another one to go with the first. The thing that impressed me the most is the way that the chest and torso armor are constructed. Every other Stormtrooper figure has been solid, with no articulation in that area. I was only slightly disappointed with the elbows as they look like the figure has "water on the elbow". Not sure if this looks this way with all poses, but if you still have your figure in the package, look at the elbows. Overall, I am very pleased with this figure, and think it is worth the $10 (minus my 10% discount, because I work at Wal-Mart).

Val Da Car
10-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Should I open mine?

He looks so awesome in the package!

Jaff
10-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Open it! It's a beautifully crafted figure. It's just as good as the super articulated Clone Trooper.

Val Da Car
10-29-2004, 06:58 AM
btw I am a not a MOC collector......but I could not free my Super ART trooper from his prison.......

Jayspawn
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Open them up Val Da Car! If you love something then set them free!!! I have to say my VOTC Stormtrooper is amazing!! The paint job on mine is striking! He moves in practically every way! Wish I could have 100 more just like him! But since I cant then, I'll relish the 1 open I have.

bobafrett
11-20-2004, 10:39 AM
btw I am a not a MOC collector......but I could not free my Super ART trooper from his prison.......

Gotta release this bad boy. Or pick up a second one if you can find one. I have bought 5 of these now, and freed four of them. You can get them down in the crawl position, and the head tilts far back enough to make them look awesome when you put them down on their stomachs with the arms propping them upper body, which is made possible by the seperation of the upper chest plate from the Abdominal plate. The feet can swing outwards, and the wrists rotate. I LOVE this figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaff
11-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I thought the super articulated Clone Trooper could not be topped, but this VOTC Stormtrooper was the best. You can even put his gun in his holster. What a great diorama figure!

AmanaMatt
11-21-2004, 12:29 AM
I must say now that some time has past for me since I have had this, that the VOTC Stormtrooper will probably do down as one of the most memorable figs in 2004. Very little not to love about it.

mabudonicus
11-21-2004, 08:15 AM
It is a wicked figure... he's joined STANSE already :beard:

And Jaff, how the heck does the blaster fit in the holster??? I can build 300 piece robot model kits without the instructions but that stupid thing has me stumped :D

Kidhuman
11-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Found 2 this morning. When I get them off of lay-a-way one is being busted out. This figure looked real fun to play with.