PDA

View Full Version : Rare figure variations

Thopman1
09-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Can anyone give a list of the rarest figure variations. I heard that Bib Fortuna with a white cape is extremly rare. What else is there? (Besides Blue Snag!)

Thopman1:stupid:

vader121
09-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Here is what I can remember ...
-Vinyl cape Jawa vs cloth cape Jawa
-Red-robed Bib Fortuna (hard to say if it really exists or not)
-Hollow-cheek Tusken Raider
-Brown-haired Luke (not so rare but I really don't see it often)
-Straight leg Bespin guard vs one straight and one curved leg (curved leg is harder to find).
-Gray IG88 vs Silver IG88
-Tan-limbed Klaatu
-Cloth coat paint variations on Endor Han & Endor Leia
-Biker Scout with small black breather on mask vs bigger black breather

There are also countless paint variations such as with Hoth Leia (red hair, brown hair, and black hair & Gray-haired Ben vs white-haired Ben).

Thopman1
09-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I saw a red caped Bip Fortuna on Ebay once, that were sold for a huge amount. But it could have been a counterfeit for all i know.

LusiferSam
09-28-2004, 11:35 AM
vader121 how on earth could you forget the DT saber variations of Luke, Ben and Vader? Other that I know of are:
Jedi Luke: Blue saber with snap cape
Chewbacca: Green bowcaster
Han Solo: Small head
Yoda: Too many variations to name

A quick note on Bib Fortuna. There aren't red caped versions. The red caped Fortuna seen in Kenner photos was a prototype and never released to the public. Any red caped version someone try's to sell you is a fake. Lili Ledy, the Mexican company, made a burgundy colored coat for their Bib Fortuna figures.

Tomart screwed up big time when they listed this figure in their '94 price guide. You don't heard about people wanting a black caped version of Jedi Luke or Squid Head, both of which are also prototypes (see the 65 back card), do you? No. Why? Because no one every listed them in a price guide.

I've never heard of a "white" caped version of Bib Fortuna. Not that that means it doesn't exist, but I would guess its a fake.

jedi_uk73
09-28-2004, 12:34 PM
I've never heard of a "white" caped version of Bib Fortuna. Not that that means it doesn't exist, but I would guess its a fake.

The 'white' caped Bib Fortuna is also a prototype figure..and possibly rarer than the 'red' caped. It does exist.

The DT Luke is fairly easy to get hold of, due to being made available in the Early Bird kits....but finding any of the DT figures carded will be a long term, and very expensive goal.

If it's 'production' variations you are after, the Trilogo Luke X-wing pilot is possibly the hardest to track down.

Painted & Unpainted knee Trilogo Fetts are also fairly HTF.....at a good price.

The 'blue' saber Luke Jedi is fairly easy to get, but finding the painted hair, moulded face version can take a while....same with the legs on Han Hoth.

The majority of varations you will come up against are either Trilogo, Takara or Lily Ledy figures.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Well, here's a few more (even though I'm not a variant hunter):

Bespin Leia (red/flesh collar)
Lando Calrissian (teeth/no teeth)
Bespin Luke (yellow/tan hair)
Luke Skywalker (yellow/tan hair)

Can't (or choose not to) think of any others right now.

evenflow
09-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Dont forget about the Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Double Telescoping sabers.

Kidhuman
09-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Big HEad Ham vs normal head Han

Thopman1
09-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Okay, check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6121168740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Guess it must be a counterfeit!

jedi_uk73
09-29-2004, 07:48 AM
For that price it's definatley a fake.

There's only a few known examples of the Red Caped Bib, and that's not one of them.

99.999999999999999999% of those that turn up on Ebay are fakes.

The last 'authentic' one to hit Ebay was sold by (I think) Cloud City Collectables...and that hit $$$$'s

LusiferSam
09-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree with jedi_uk73, definitely a fake. The thread clearly isn't red and that's the dead give away.

I knew I shouldn't have said any thing about that white caped Bib Fortuna without first taking a look over at the Collectors Archive. For those who wish to know more there are a few link about the prototype Bib Fortunas and a fake. Enjoy.
loose red cape (http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48822)

bagged white cape (http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48409)

carded white cape (http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48458)

fake carded red cape (http://www.toysrgus.com/images-fakes/red-bib.html)

jedi_uk73
09-29-2004, 12:14 PM
The thread clearly isn't red and that's the dead give away.

Very true LS, but it's a fairly good fake...they are getting better. :(

In the past, people have just dyed the cape red, but the stitching has always stayed it's original colour.

This time round, it looks like they have replaced the stitching.....still not the right kind of red though...

Luckily, getting the correct colour red would, I assume, be very difficult.

Kidhuman
09-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Very true LS, but it's a fairly good fake...they are getting better. :(

And thats the scary part.

Getting the right color stitching is possible if you are a designer/tailor. They probably could match the color well.