PDA

View Full Version : MASTER REPLICAS-Elite Editions

[DSS]Pedr0
09-28-2004, 07:21 AM
MR just announced for sale a Luke RotJ Elite Edition lightsaber. 750 units and a CSM Exclusive at $499 free S&H. What's up with that??
From the sounds of it, there will be more than one in this lineup. Will they be new replicas or rehashes of ones made already??

Mark your calendars! On September 30th, Master Replicas will roll out the red carpet for a new, premium quality Collectors Society Exclusive - the Elite Edition Luke Skywalker Lightsaber, an absolute essential for any Star Wars enthusiast who aspires to build a world-class collection.

Limited to only 750 worldwide, this Star Wars masterpiece is distinguished by artful detailing, exceptional quality materials, and a unique edition number imprinted on each lightsaber pommel. And, as an owner of our first Elite Edition replica, you'll join the ranks of an exclusive group of discriminating connoisseurs who own one of the finest examples of Master Replicas' dedication to excellence.

Constructed of Stainless Steel and Copper

During the filming of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, several different versions of the Luke Skywalker lightsaber were used. The hero version - which appears in about half of the scenes in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, including the battle on Jabba's sail barge - was machined entirely from metal. The hero version had a small set-screw near the emitter tip which was used to secure a metal rod that served as a placeholder for the lightsaber "blade" during filming. In post-production, the energy beam was digitally rendered as an animated light beam.

As with all of our fine collectibles, Master Replicas examined the original filming props and compiled information on color, finish, and dimensions to achieve an extremely accurate replica of this amazing lightsaber. This Elite Edition is a faithful rendition of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber with the main components constructed from solid billets of Type 303 Stainless Steel, hand-polished to a rich, lustrous sheen. All of the components on this replica are solid or plated metals with premium quality detailing.

One of Our Finest Collectibles Ever Created

Solid and hefty, this lightsaber is accented with high- gloss black plating and 100% copper components where appropriate. The copper components are clear-coated to preserve the polished finish for years to come.
The emerald-green emitter gem and the control box arrows are made from genuine crystal.
The pommel of each replica is imprinted with the moniker "Elite Edition" and a unique edition number.
The display and plaque holder are similar to our standard Limited Edition lightsaber displays but enhanced with a high gloss black finish for an extra touch of quality. Included is Master Replicas' Certificate of Authenticity.
This striking collectible measures approximately 11.25" L X 1.75" D.
Only $499.00 plus FREE shipping* (a $14.95 value)
Don't forget to use your MR Rewards points and save even more!
Ships in November
Don't get lured to Cloud City without protection. Get ready to order your Elite Edition Luke Skywalker Lightsaber when it goes on sale in just 2 days.

Remember, all collectibles from Master Replicas are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee, or your money back.

Our Collectors Society members always get the first chance to see new collectibles, order at special prices or get access to Collectors Society exclusives.

Bobbyg714
09-28-2004, 12:09 PM
So how many are planning on ordering one of these. I am on the fence after buying the At-At and Snowspeeder but I am considering it. It will be a nice piece. Anyone else getting one?

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah I received the email this morning, and I will do my best to hold my anger and frustration. If this had been a different prop offered to CSM's like Luke's saber from ANH then there would be no problem, but this "Elite Edition" is just a copy of the version I already own. Well except that the new version is apparently made out of better materials which now has me wondering about the quality of materials from their LE line. IMO they are useing this BS excuse to get Star Wars collectors to buy these "improved" versions to pick up the bill for MR's failing lines and products. Anyone notice how poorly the last Collector Society Exclusive, sold? MR needs something they know will sell and I'm sure they have seen the current value of the LE saber on eBay so for them this may be a good move. Collectors however will feel cheated. MR could have easily started this new line with a new prop like Qui-Gon's saber or like I said before Luke's from ANH, but instead they have found a way to produce an added 750 pieces of a very sought after piece, and inflate the price by just slapping a new name on it. It's the limited nature of these products that are attractive to collectors, and IMO if MR keeps going back to add to their "limited" production runs collectors will move on.

Bobbyg714
09-28-2004, 01:06 PM
I do not own the other version but if I did I would feel the same way you do. I too was taken back when they talked about better quality, don't they claim to have the highest quality on their basic lines? Kind of contradicts MR's basic mission statement doesn't it? Here is the statement from their site:

Master Replicas is committed to producing only the highest-quality, officially licensed prop replicas, and to delivering a very high level of attentive, responsive customer service. In this way, we hope to earn the trust and loyalty of knowledgeable and discerning collectors.

So was the first one highest quality if you are now offering a higher quality version?:confused:

decadentdave
09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah I received the email this morning, and I will do my best to hold my anger and frustration. If this had been a different prop offered to CSM's like Luke's saber from ANH then there would be no problem, but this "Elite Edition" is just a copy of the version I already own. Well except that the new version is apparently made out of better materials which now has me wondering about the quality of materials from their LE line. IMO they are useing this BS excuse to get Star Wars collectors to buy these "improved" versions to pick up the bill for MR's failing lines and products. Anyone notice how poorly the last Collector Society Exclusive, sold? MR needs something they know will sell and I'm sure they have seen the current value of the LE saber on eBay so for them this may be a good move. Collectors however will feel cheated. MR could have easily started this new line with a new prop like Qui-Gon's saber or like I said before Luke's from ANH, but instead they have found a way to produce an added 750 pieces of a very sought after piece, and inflate the price by just slapping a new name on it. It's the limited nature of these products that are attractive to collectors, and IMO if MR keeps going back to add to their "limited" production runs collectors will move on.

It's funny you should say that because I had the same discussions with Master Replicas earlier this year (yes, I was one of the winners of the Sweepstakes). I had asked them about the possibility of them releasing the ROTJ Luke as a Signature Edition. Their concern was that another offering would devalue the LE. I argued that a Signature Edition would allow those that missed an opportunity to purchase the LE would have another opportunity and for Signature Edition collectors to have an opportunity to complete their collection with another Mark Hamill signature piece. I think they carefully considered this option and came up with a clever way to offer this prop again with the Elite Edition with it being a Collector's Society exclusive and made of the finest materials. Since I already own the LE, this is really just a novelty that I cannot justify nor can I really afford. I'd rather spend the money on other pieces I don't have in my collection. However, this way it should not affect the value of the LE saber and the Elite Edition should quickly sell out and appreciate in value on the secondary market. This piece is really for the high-end collectors only.

Oh and, Master Replicas is well aware of the demand for Qui-Gon's saber. I think we can expect to see it in the near future. ;)

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 06:39 PM
It's funny you should say that because I had the same discussions with Master Replicas earlier this year (yes, I was one of the winners of the Sweepstakes). I had asked them about the possibility of them releasing the ROTJ Luke as a Signature Edition. Their concern was that another offering would devalue the LE. I argued that a Signature Edition would allow those that missed an opportunity to purchase the LE would have another opportunity and for Signature Edition collectors to have an opportunity to complete their collection with another Mark Hamill signature piece. I think they carefully considered this option and came up with a clever way to offer this prop again with the Elite Edition with it being a Collector's Society exclusive and made of the finest materials. Since I already own the LE, this is really just a novelty that I cannot justify nor can I really afford. I'd rather spend the money on other pieces I don't have in my collection. However, this way it should not affect the value of the LE saber and the Elite Edition should quickly sell out and appreciate in value on the secondary market. This piece is really for the high-end collectors only.

Oh and, Master Replicas is well aware of the demand for Qui-Gon's saber. I think we can expect to see it in the near future. ;)

Now THAT'S funny that MR thought a signature edition of the Luke ROTJ saber would devalue the LE version. There is a huge difference between offering a limited run on an already existing prop with the only difference being a signature added to the plaque, and offering a limited run of an already existing prop made out of higher quality materials than the previous version. If anything the EE version will devalue the Luke ROTJ LE. That doesn't matter to me though. What does matter is that when I bought the Luke ROTJ saber it was with the thought that this was the best offering of this piece, and the only version that MR would be putting out of that full size prop replica (hence a "limited edition"). If MR had made this a different scale like their mini line or if it had been another company releasing a "higher quality" full size limited edition Luke ROTJ prop replica it would be a different story, but that's not the case. MR has now gone back and made 750 pieces of an already existing prop, and with a "higher quality" of materials when their first run was supposed to be of the highest quality of materials. If the EE line had been an option from the beggining I would have welcomed it since I always want to have the best presentation of the replica I can get, and in fact I have been hoping MR would go this route (lower production runs even if it meant a higher price tag) but changing an already existing "limited" product after two years is down right shoddy IMO. How much of my collection will be next? Should I cancel all my preorders with MR since there is now the possibility of even better made replicas being released? MR needs to provide answers to their SW collectors concerns if they keep on expecting them to bail them out everytime they have another product line fail.

On a side note, that's awesome that you were able to visit with MR, and probably get some insight in how things work there. I'd love the chance to visit with them personally someday. :)

Regards,

Luis

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I do not own the other version but if I did I would feel the same way you do. I too was taken back when they talked about better quality, don't they claim to have the highest quality on their basic lines? Kind of contradicts MR's basic mission statement doesn't it? Here is the statement from their site:

Master Replicas is committed to producing only the highest-quality, officially licensed prop replicas, and to delivering a very high level of attentive, responsive customer service. In this way, we hope to earn the trust and loyalty of knowledgeable and discerning collectors.

So was the first one highest quality if you are now offering a higher quality version?:confused:

HAHA! No doubt a total contradiction. I shot an email off regarding that question btw and I will post the answer as soon as I get it. :)

[DSS]Pedr0
09-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Highest Quality in 2002. It is now 2 yrs later with a VARIATION of an existing saber. Not a continued run. ;)

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Pedr0']Highest Quality in 2002. It is now 2 yrs later with a VARIATION of an existing saber. Not a continued run. ;)

Bulls**t! There is nothing on the MR site that reads there is a time limit on the quality of their products. Also, I wouldn't consider it a variation. The BD Maul saber is a variation to the Maul LE saber. What we are seeing here is an existing/previously released limited edition prop getting an added run of 750 pieces with better quality materials (that apparently they could not use when they first released this replica stating it was made with the highest quality materials).

decadentdave
09-28-2004, 08:06 PM
I can certainly understand your frustration but I really see the Elite Edition as an entirely different replica. It is more of a museum display piece than a 1:1 prop replica. Personally, I prefer to have replicas of the actual film props. Master Replicas was also considering full size gold plated versions similar to the the mini's. If these had been offered instead, would you still feel the same way? I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. If you really want the finest materials then perhaps you could sell your LE on eBay. Considering what the current aftermarket value is on the LE, I'm sure you could easily cover the expense of the Elite Edition. At first I considered this but I am happy with my LE and since I am not collecting for investment but rather my own personal enjoyment I decided that I didn't need one made out of stainless steel and brass and crystal. I mean, come on, this piece is like the Tiffany's of prop replicas. Next they will probably offer the Jango Blasters made out of solid titanium or something or perhaps a line of sabers carved out of solid diamonds. Does that mean that they are cheating you because you already purchased an LE or SE? I think not. You DO have a choice. You can purchase one of these superfluous dazzlers or sell your originals or simply not buy into the marketing of such pristine luxury that you really do not need. I mean, let's face it... the Elite Edition is really only for deep pocket collectors' who are just looking to have bragging rights and rub in people's faces that they own one and for dealers to scalp on the secondary market once they sell out like the Pristine Obi-Wan. When people see my collection they are just impressed as it is. Who cares if I have one made out of brass and crystal with all of the bells and whistles. They were never made out of those materials in the first place so who cares? Let it go and save the money for the Episode III props. There will always be something else you want and you can't have it all. Peace.

mini-rock
09-28-2004, 08:46 PM
I see your point decadentdave. However money is not the factor here. If it was I would have stuck with the crap-plastic from Hasbro. The problem here is I feel sorta dupped into believing that I had already purchased the best they had to offer only to find out that it wasn't.

Oh well, you're right though, it is time to move on and let it go. I'm not sure if I'll go for the EE line though. I can just imagine in a couple more years MR comeing out with an "Ultimate Edition" Smithsonian(sp?) quality line that would replace the once highest quality/now low quality EE line. ;) For now, I will just stick with the LE's as I have not had any reason to believe that I didn't purchase a high quality product.

My apologies if I offended anyone, especially you Pedro, by voicing my displeasure. :D

decadentdave
09-28-2004, 09:48 PM
For now, I will just stick with the LE's as I have not had any reason to believe that I didn't purchase a high quality product.

Bingo. For your money, you DID buy the highest quality product that was offered in the Limited Edition. It is like someone who is an art collector. If money is not an object then they are either so wealthy that they can kiss their money away to satisfy their whims or they are total fools. These companies are exploiting this to get rich off of people's ignorant beliefs that they MUST have the best of everything and are constantly upgrading. Look at the DVD market for example. How many times are you willing to keep buying the SAME movie for a few minutes of extra footage and goodies? You are just being exploiting by the corporate marketing scheme. If I could afford the luxury of owning an original Picasso, would I want to? Just for the sake of saying that I have the unique privilege of owning an original? Did you see Blade Runner? Remember when Deckard asks Zhora if her snake is real? Her response was, "Do you think I would be working in a place like this if I could afford a real snake?" Same thing. Really, if I had that kind of money, I can think of better ways to spend it and for less selfish purposes. Unfortunately, we have been conditioned by our greedy materialistic society to want and expect the best quality material goods. The truth is, when we're dead, we're dead. It ain't gonna matter anymore. I can live my life with an imitation and be just as happy. I think for collector's wwho are buying for investment may be sorely disappointed if they think they can retire off of this stuff because Star Wars may not hold its value several decades from now. It is really a generational thing. Several generations down the line might not hold it in as high regard as we do and the demand may not be there and the whole market could tank. If you are an investor, then the time to "get rich" as it were is now. That is why you will see these Collector Society exclusives sell out quickly and immediately double and triple in price to exploit those that feel that they have to have the best of everything. Forget it. Enjoy what you have and live a much more prosperous life.

[DSS]Pedr0
09-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Bulls**t! There is nothing on the MR site that reads there is a time limit on the quality of their products. Also, I wouldn't consider it a variation. The BD Maul saber is a variation to the Maul LE saber. What we are seeing here is an existing/previously released limited edition prop getting an added run of 750 pieces with better quality materials (that apparently they could not use when they first released this replica stating it was made with the highest quality materials).
I actually consider this to be the more 'fantasy' oriented replica. How it would look in the Star Wars Universe with the crystal showing down the emitter and the crystals on the control box. The LE we already have are representations on the PROPS made for the filming. Get my drift, I understand its hard for you too intake so much info mini. ;) :p

mini-rock
09-29-2004, 04:01 AM
Pedr0'] The LE we already have are representations on the PROPS made for the filming.

Does that apply to the BD Maul, Obi-Wan AFBB, TD AFB, Yoda or the Sig Mace saber? ;)

Pedr0']Get my drift, I understand its hard for you too intake so much info mini. ;) :p

Damn, that's f****d up man. Guess I deserve it. Don't worry though, you are still my favorite homosexual. ;) :D

Jayspawn
09-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I can certainly see how frusterating it is on those who already have the Luke ROTJ Limited Edition. Just a few weeks ago, I spent a couple hundred on a Custom Luke ROTJ Saber from the UK. Little frusterating but I didnt spend any $500 on it -and the custom looks fantastic! Might as well be an MR. So I'm gonna pass on the 'Elite Edition'

Interesting though, Master Replica's quality should ALWAYS be top drawer with every product they release.

Now 1st on my wishlist is Obi-Wan's Lightsaber from AOTC since I missed out on it -but if they made one from TPM, thats probably something else though the props are suppose to be different.

How do you feel about that?

Bobbyg714
09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
So in judging the responses it seems that most will not be buying this new EE, is that correct? I am still on the fence since I never got the original. Just concerned they will have others to choose from shortly, and I collect the dark side for the most part.

mini-rock
09-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Jayspawn: I'm all for unreleased props being made for the EE line if that was the question you're asking.

Bobbyg714: Now that I have unbunched my panties I have decided I will be placing an order for this piece tomorrow. I haven't changed my view on this whole matter, but I do want to own what I feel is the best representation of the prop available, and now the only way to do that is to compare the two. If I feel the EE is closer to what I want then I'll keep it, and if not then it'll be sent back to MR. One things for sure though, I'll never take the term "limited edition" as anything more than a gimmick from MR. ;) I also noticed they changed their Web site. It is now missing what you quoted earlier.

Bobbyg714
09-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Jayspawn: I'm all for unreleased props being made for the EE line if that was the question you're asking.

Bobbyg714: Now that I have unbunched my panties I have decided I will be placing an order for this piece tomorrow. I haven't changed my view on this whole matter, but I do want to own what I feel is the best representation of the prop available, and now the only way to do that is to compare the two. If I feel the EE is closer to what I want then I'll keep it, and if not then it'll be sent back to MR. One things for sure though, I'll never take the term "limited edition" as anything more than a gimmick from MR. ;) I also noticed they changed their Web site. It is now missing what you quoted earlier.
Mini-rock- you have convinced me to place an order too. Like you stated I can always send it back. I have a feeling these will go fast so I don't want to waiver any longer. Unreal how you can just change the site and a policy to suit your needs. I will really be angry when they redo the ones I have and also issue the gold-plated elite edition At-At with functioning chin guns. And the platinum snowpeeder with functioning harpoon. :crazed:

[DSS]Pedr0
09-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I will be ordering this as well. *IF* I dont like it. I wont return it to MR. I will hold out for ebay since only 750 are being made.

Bobbyg714
09-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Pedr0']I will be ordering this as well. *IF* I dont like it. I wont return it to MR. I will hold out for ebay since only 750 are being made.
Good Point!!

dgauci5
09-29-2004, 10:59 PM
I now own the original and I fully plan to order the EE tommorow. I'm a collector, if they make two different versions I need to have both versions. It's as simple as that. (I would never consider selling any of my mine, so while as a collector the investment factor is interesting, it really doesn't matter in the long run.)