PDA

View Full Version : Your OCD habits

Rocketboy
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Everyone seems to have at least one form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, even if it's a minor one.

I've always known I had one or two, but I've recently realized that I have a couple more.
Such as:
I'll do a lot of little things twice (like trying to crack my knuckles or taping my pencil or scratching an itch, ect.).
When someone leaves the cap off the pen/leaves the pen clicked, I have to recap/unclick it.
My money (the little money I have) must be all facing the same way in order - $1 bills in front.
When I eat, I finish one thing before I start on anything else. This one is apparently genetic. My dad did it too.

You?

B'Omarr Monkey
09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
I do the eating thing too. I think I'm the only one in my family that does it, though it's been a while since we've all sat down at the table together, and it wasn't something I was watching for, so who knows.

Other than that I'm OCD free.

I used to be a little compusive about being a completionist, down to when buying books or CDs that came out in volumes, I'd feel compelled to have the complete set, even if there was a volume or two in there that I absolutely din't need, or have an interest in. Seeing Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. IV on the shelf with no Vol III, used to bug me. Now I'm over it. I have been for a few years now.

Kidhuman
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
I have to have things in symetry. If someone taps me on the shoulder, I have to tap my other shoulder.

BanthaPoodoo
10-01-2004, 09:26 AM
I sort my DVD's alphabetically.
I sort my money from lowest to highest denomination. I put them in numerical & letter order too.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-02-2004, 11:30 AM
I have a few Obsessive Compulsive traits, but nothing I'd consider major.

Walking - I like to avoid a few things when walking, namely stepping on cracks or borders, even if it means leaping from one part of the sidewalk or tiled floor to another.
Symmetry - As KH said, I like things to appear even or symmetrical. At work, if I have piles of supplies, I will sit there and stack them, and make sure each pile has an equivalent number, it may take a few seconds, or a few minutes, but it has to look organized. Numbers too play a small role, I may group everything by threes or fours.
Buying Star Wars Stuff - If I go to a retail store, the first thing on my mind, may not be the pans I needed to buy, but I make a beeline to the toy section to get SW stuff. I think this is a little quirk that most of us here on SirSteves share.

Kidhuman
10-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Numbers too play a small role, I may group everything by threes or fours.

I do everything in sevens. If I am walking, I always count to seven when taking steps.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Buying Star Wars Stuff - If I go to a retail store, the first thing on my mind, may not be the pans I needed to buy, but I make a beeline to the toy section to get SW stuff. I think this is a little quirk that most of us here on SirSteves share.
[/list]

I do this too. I don't think it's OCD. I think it's because if there's the possibility that there will only be one Feltipern Trevagg on the peg, I want to be the one to get it. There could very well be someone else in the store, or coming in right behind me who feels the same way.

You never see people lining up outside Target before it opens and rushing towards the pots and pans aisle to get their hands on the new assortments.

Rocketboy
10-02-2004, 10:16 PM
[/list]
Yeah, even though I rarely buy figures anymore, I still have this need to look...just in case, even though finding anything new or cool is a rare thing.
But I know if I don't look that there will be tons and tons of new stuff.

Slicker
10-03-2004, 01:42 PM
I have a couple of things that I'm pretty bad about:

*My car is a big thing. Even if there is a little dirt on the floor I just flip out and I try my best to not let people in the back seat because heaven forbid that it get dirty.

*Since joining the damn military whenever I walk I have cadence running through my head which leads to the next thing.

*I walk in step with whoever is in front of me. No matter who it is or how big or small there steps are I will keep in step with them like we're marching. It annoys me but I just can't break it.

*The obvious one is Star Wars. When I had my collection displayed all of the figures hanging on the walls had to be perfectly straight and in line with the figures next to it and below it or else I'd have to redo it. I had pin holes all over my walls just trying to get it right.

Bobby Fett
10-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I also have the phobia about bills in my wallet, except that ones don't go in the wallet, but folded in half in the left front pocket.

Everything thing I own [and stuff other people own (when they aren't looking)] is in order by size or alpahbetically, or numerically.

You guys don't have a complex - you are inferior! lol

Turbowars
10-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Mine has to be collecting. I have to have it all. If I don't have the $ I find away. When I get it, then I have buyer remorse. Not really sure if that OCD though.

My wife on the other hand has it big time. She checks the door lock many times, only likes things in even #'s and stuff like that. I'm too laid back most of the time to care about such things.

Exhaust Port
10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
I make sure all my DVD/CD's are facing right side up (the lettering is read left to right) when they are in their jewel cases. I had a roommate 13 years ago in college that requested that all his CD's are aligned right side up after we use them. As he put it, he likes to see his CD's "smiling" at him when he opened the case. Well after a few weeks of following his request it became habit and I started to prefer to see the CD's arranged that way.

Now 13 years later I still make sure every CD and DVD is properly situated in the case before I put it back. It might not be OCD but it's as close as I come.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Geez, Louise, you people are a mess! No wonder everyone thinks SW collectors are a bunch of freaks. ;) :D

LusiferSam
10-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Geez, Louise, you people are a mess! No wonder everyone thinks SW collectors are a bunch of freaks. ;) :D
Boy that's what I was thinking.

I don't think I have any real obsessive compulsive traits. I have a lot of odd habits. But a few of my habits might be border line. Here are the most border lines I can think of.

Lego Sets: I can't stand to have a Lego set sitting around that I haven't build yet. If you really want to mess with me when I busy hand me a new Lego set. I'll first put the box away, then look at instructions, and finally start to build it. I easily waist more time trying not to build it than I do building it.

Bread Crust: When at home and making a sandwich I always cut the crust off my bread. It not that I won't eat the crust because I do all time, but more a childhood habit.

Shaving: 90% of the time I shave at night. Why? I'm really not a morning person.

Pacing: I pace, a lot. I pace when I can't sleep, when I'm think about a problem, or I'm nervous, I'm bored, or I'm waiting. The list goes on, but you get the picture.

scruffziller
10-04-2004, 07:18 AM
I have a compulsion of just before going to bed checking and rechecking and rechecking to make sure my doors are locked and the oven/stove was off. Also have the same probelm of checking my locked doors on my car. Walking back to the car several times.

Rocketboy
10-04-2004, 10:15 AM
It also irriates the hell out of me when a cd or dvd isn't in a case or if its in the wrong case.

Exhaust Port
10-04-2004, 03:07 PM
It also irriates the hell out of me when a cd or dvd isn't in a case or if its in the wrong case.

I feel better knowing that I'm not alone. :) You're more than welcome to come over and touch all my CD's and DVD's as you appriciate how they should be properly stored. :D

Droid
10-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I have a compulsion of just before going to bed checking and rechecking and rechecking to make sure my doors are locked and the oven/stove was off. Also have the same probelm of checking my locked doors on my car. Walking back to the car several times.

Preach on brother, preach on.

Doesn't it just make you crazy sometimes? I have to make a mental image of myself making sure the doors are closed/locked, oven off, or I have to go back. I LOVE the remote control lock on my car that makes a beeping noise when it is locked. Then I don't have to go back to check the doors. :crazed:

Ji'dai
10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm a clean / neatness freak. A place for everything, everything in it's place.

Conversely, I'm also a pack-rat, can't seem to part with anything. I keep all the cards & boxes for my toys plus even cut off and save the little decals on the bubbles. Got a baggie full of those little wire twisties they use to hold figures in place. Ya never know when those might come in handy. Everything is stored in its proper place though.

I really obssess over paint applications when choosing which figures to buy. I'll stand there in the toy aisle or sit on the floor sorting the figures, then do side by side comparision for the best paint apps. It takes forever when the pegs are full. It's a sickness.

Rocketboy
10-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Thought of another one...
I NEVER take the first newspaper, magazine, comic, ect. Always the 3rd or 4th.
Why? I have no idea.

Jeezum Crow, I have a lot of these!

Bobby Fett
10-04-2004, 06:17 PM

Doesn't it just make you crazy sometimes? I have to make a mental image of myself making sure the doors are closed/locked, oven off, or I have to go back. I LOVE the remote control lock on my car that makes a beeping noise when it is locked. Then I don't have to go back to check the doors. :crazed:

I don't mean to start another phobia, but just because the car beeps, how do you KNOW the doors actually locked? ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Why? I have no idea.

I don't know if that's OCD. I do it too, but with a reason. The magazine, etc on the top/front is usually the mangled, bent, browsed copy, while one's further back tend to be in better shape. i'm not obsessive about mint condition, but if I'm paying money for it, I don't want it torn up before I buy it.

Speaking of magazines, and packrats, I have a problem with throwing magazines away. To this, there is also a reason. I used to recycle the majority of the magazines I read. I make a living as a freelance writer, and one day a job landed in my lap, that changed everything. I don't remember what the subject matter was, but at the time I thought, "$#!+, if only I hadn't thrown out that copy of the New Yorker from five weeks ago." There was an article in there that perfectly suited my needs (my piece was fiction, so I wasn't practicing sloppy journalism). Now, i didn't have it.

Since then, almost every magazine I read ends up in a box when I'm done with it. It's a ***** when I move, and I admit, there have been very few times that this has served my paranoid thinking that one day I may need some of these magazines, but it hasn't changed my ways.

Kidhuman
10-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Why? I have no idea.

I do the same thing so it must be a SW geek thing. The reason why I do it is because they come bundled and the top ones usually are ripped(newspapers mainly).

Droid
10-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't mean to start another phobia, but just because the car beeps, how do you KNOW the doors actually locked? ;)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Seriously, I have already checked the door several times before I walk away. What do you think I am? :crazed:

The remote control beep is just a second reinforcement that the door is locked.

InsaneJediGirl
10-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I wont take the first newspaper/comic either.I like my SW books to be in chronological order however I cant stand mixing hardbacks with paperback so normally paperback on one shelf,hardback on the other,graphic novels and comics on another and so on.

Always check for new SW figures even if I dont have the money.Cant pass up a clearance isle no matter what the store without looking :) Also have the habit of not leaving the blinds open when its dark outside or entering a dark room without a light on nearby.

Not OCD habits,probably just odd geek habits in my case

El Chuxter
10-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Let's just say I make Jack Nicholson's character in As Good As It Gets look normal and leave it at that. :D

Okay, I'm lying, but when it comes to checking things over and over, or keeping everything in order, I'm really bad. I'm so bad, I'd rather have my house as completely disorganzed than in some halfway organized state. Which makes it tough to organize, as I want to everything done completely or not at all. If my wife ever dumps me, mark my words, this will be the reason.

I don't consider examining for the best paint job or card on a figure, or taking the second or third copy of something to be obsessive-compulsive. Nor is a seemingly weird quirk I have: shaking the case of any DVD in the store before I buy it. I've had some bad luck with DVDs coming off the spindle in the case and shaking around before I open them, and my player is ridiculously sensitive when it comes to scratches, is all. :beard:

scruffziller
10-05-2004, 01:36 PM

Doesn't it just make you crazy sometimes? I have to make a mental image of myself making sure the doors are closed/locked, oven off, or I have to go back. :crazed:
Yup that is how I get myself to stop because I retain the image in my head that it was done when I did it. Sometimes that stops it for a month or two but then I am right back at it.:D

Slicker
10-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Speaking of magazines, and packrats, I have a problem with throwing magazines away.I'm with you on this one. I don't know why I do it I can't once remember reading an old magazine that I've kept in my closet. I have almost every issue of Toyfare that has come out but only read the most recent ones. You never know when you that nostalgia might hit you and you want to look at the "brand new carded figures coming up in 1998".

Rocketboy
10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't throw magazines away either, which really sucks when you read 3-4 mags a month. I have every issue of Blender and most of the Maxim and Stuff mags, which starts to add up after a year or two. I rarely ever gone back to them for any reason, if I ever have.
I should really go through them, cut them up, and make a big book of the stuff worth keeping. But that'd be a lot of time consuming work, so I probably won't.

The only magazine that I ever re-read is Star Wars Insider.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I see many of the quirks listed in this thread as the same ones I share, particularly with the CDs and DVDs. I always yell at my brother for picking out my CDs (which I don't mind) and then putting the disc that was in the player out on a table to collect dust, or leave the individual jewel cases open and scattered around the house.

A big one which I forgot to mention revolves around numbers. If I am a couple hundred feet from my car, I will randomly assign a number of steps to walk (let's say 150) and try to make it to my car without going over that number. If I am approaching and I know that I am going to not make it, I will take big steps or leaps to see if I can make it. If there are people around, I am usually good at controlling it, and will make it look nonchalant.

I also am a money hound, for I have a built in radar of finding coins in parking lots, floors, or other places. I have a giant crayola crayon bank filled with pennies, that takes about 5 years to fill, so I am always trying to cram it with pennies. If I see money on the ground, I will pick it up, even though it may be in a puddle or the coin was in crappy shape because it was run over a million times. The hardest part is when people are around. I don't want to look like a bum, so I resist the urge to pick up coins, even though they are right there.

Also the above could mean that I am cheap. :greedy:

BanthaPoodoo
10-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I am the same way about DVD's & CD's. I have to have them facing straight up and down in the keep case, & also alphabetized all facing the same way (words pointing down going from left to right)

I also have my books alphabetized by subject, then author. All hardback on one shelf, soft on the other.

It's a wonder I don't stay awake at night thinking of stuff to organize!

Slicker
11-30-2004, 10:08 PM
I just thought of several other things:

1. When I wash my truck I have to wash it in the exact same way everytime. Start at the hood, move up the passenger side, do the back, the driver side, then do the roof. I dry it in the same order too. I also vacuum the interior in a certain order too. I have literally sat and had to think for several minutes about the order I do things because I thought to much on how I do it. I just can't do it a different way.

2. I also do the same thing in the shower and when I brush my teeth. I have to do it all in the same order or else it just doesn't feel right.

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-30-2004, 11:23 PM
When I go out to eat, or anywhere I guess, it bothers me if I cant see a persons nametag. I have to know their name.

I can only put certain dollar amounts of gasoline in my truck.

Even numbers only or divisible by 5. NO CHANGE at all, deffinitly never 13.00!!!

2-1B
12-04-2004, 02:42 AM
I count strokes of deodorant during application. Each side has to get the same amount. If I go over on one side, I go back to the other and even out the stroke count.

Devo
12-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I spend up to and sometimes over an hour putting gel in my hair before I go out to the pub - it may not look any more different to the casual observer at the half-hour point than it does at the end but I do it anyway. I carry around a small mirror and check myself in it countless times with increasing frequency the closer it comes time to actually go out my front door. Some would just call it vain but I think it verges more on OCD although it wasn't really a problem when I shaved my head.

My toilet habits seem to differ from most men's aswell. I take no less than 5 minutes to complete a urination session, I require toilet paper to do so lest I be otherwise paranoid of 'post-urination leakage'. I therefore cannot use urinals in public toilets. Not sure if either of these really qualify under the OCD category but anyway...

Devo
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh here's another slight oddity - probably not OCD because I don't think I would need to do it at every opportunity - whenever I put down a drink on a beermat I try to perfectly centre it.

Turbowars
12-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah that's OCD.

Man, an hour to fix your hair? You are the kind of guy that has to plan way ahead to go somewhere, right?

Slicker
12-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Just call him and tell him you saw all of the ROTS figures already and I'll bet you he could move like the wind.:D

Devo
12-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah that's OCD.

Man, an hour to fix your hair? You are the kind of guy that has to plan way ahead to go somewhere, right?

Well when I'm going somewhere I do have to start getting ready a long time before I'm due to leave. This is now that my hair has some length to it. I used to shave it and back then it wasn't a problem at all, although I did rinse it every morning to make sure it wasn't flattened in places. Then I grew it out a bit and kept what for anyone else would be a low maintenance short style but which I would still spend an inordinate amount of time on (less than my current hour but nevertheless more time than most would put in). If I leave my house having not spent the 'requisite' time on my hair I will spend the rest of the day/night in a state of paranoia.

Its not a major issue right now because I'm just wasting away at home but when I actuallly get a life it would have to be dealt with, most likely by reverting to a shaved head or if possible the short style I used to have.

Devo
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Just call him and tell him you saw all of the ROTS figures already and I'll bet you he could move like the wind.:D

:D If you're referring to me, well no, I wouldn't get terribly excited about ROTS figures. I don't think I'll be collecting them. But if you could fast forward time (speed up the harvest and teleport me off this rock) to a point where McFarlane have already made and released a full Robocop line of figures or if you could announce that my store has stocked up on all the OT figures I've missed over the years, perhaps then I'd forego my usual hair fixing rituals.

InsaneJediGirl
11-20-2005, 10:04 PM
I just realized another OCD habit of mine. When I sleep,the pillow matching the sheets goes on the bottom,then I use two others that are a solid navy that match the comforter. Of course,I have to pick out the most fluffy one to put on top of the pile :crazed:

Turbowars
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
You sound just like my wife. :yes: The funny thing is she's changing the bed as I type this.

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2005, 07:40 AM
For me, the "open" end of the pillow has on the outside of the bed.

JimJamBonds
11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Cd's are in alpha order occording to artist. If there is more then one cd by the same artist then they are in order of release from oldest to newest. Same goes for DVD's. :crazed:

2-1B
11-21-2005, 12:23 PM
One of my biggest OCD annoyances is when people misuse apostrophes. ;)
:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2005, 07:04 PM
;) Or leaving an n out of millennium.

bobafrett
11-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, after reading this whole thread, I realize that I do have some OC disorders myself.

1) C.D.'s must be in place and in their case. This really bothered me when my former girlfriend bought me a soft C.D. carrying case so I could have music to play in my car. I to this day have not used it, prefering to instead only take a a select few to my car at a time, then returning them to thier case. My son bothers me as he likes some of my music, and has been known to not put back my CD's in the appropriate place for weeks on end driving me crazy!

2) Pack rat, I am. I also have magazines from my youth, old issues of Rolling Stones, Playboy, Child, Parenting, Maxim, Star Wars insider, and so on. I recently went through and finally tossed old issues of "Things you never knew exhisted" a free maggazine that they send in the mail along with others like those. I still kept all the other magazines, which my friends didn't like having to move last year.

I also keep all the empty boxes from my lego sets. I used to keep all the cards and bubbles from my opened figures, but managed to part with them finally.

3)Every morning I must go to 7-eleven and get one Diet Pepsi and a package with 2 chocolate chip cookies. Not sure if that is OCD as much as it is a bad breakfast habit.

Thanks for bringing up this old thread ISJ!

2-1B
11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
;) Or leaving an n out of millennium.

The guy in my avatar stole that second N by swapping out the barcode. :crazed: