PDA

View Full Version : If the Star Wars TV Series has a toy line, would you buy into it?

Tycho
09-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Chances look good that in Fall 2006 (2 years from now), there will be a live-action (not cartoon but real actor) Star Wars TV series going down.

If Hasbro has the license to 2018, (and they do), it will be likely that they'll make action figures from this TV show.

While we don't even know if the show will focus on movie characters as principles, or all new characters in the SW universe, or even already established EU characters, if Hasbro makes figures, efficient marketing management would dictate releasing the figures BEFORE the series even airs.

Would you buy figures of known or unknown characters played by new actors before you even saw the series? Like what if they start with an exclusive limited sneak preview character that would start you off on this collection?

What if ships and vehicles, beasts and playsets became part of this collection?

How far would you go?

We have determined in other threads that there are approximately 211 or so more characters from the 5 movies that Hasbro could possibly do original versions of. Episode 3 will probably lend 100 to that fold.

Many of us are out of room, or could barely accomodate another 300, some E3 ships and vehicles, and then that would be pushing it.

When do you want to stop?

What will you do if they release figures for a TV series, especially before it even airs?

dindae
09-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I buy everything so I don't see where this would be any different. :D As far as where I would want to stop that would depend highly on the quality of the show. I hope they don't use any of the main characters simply because most story arcs have been done in the EU. Although they could do a Clone Wars era show without to much trouble, but still without the original actors using main characters would suck.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't buy them. I will stick with the film characters... unless the actor or actress is really hot or something. ;)

stillakid
09-30-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm a brainwashed Star Wars consumer, so I'll buy everything whether I like it or not. :crazed:

tgr3328
09-30-2004, 10:01 AM
If they are interesting figures, yes, I will buy them.

There is much they could do with this kind of series. It could be set long ago during the Sith Wars or sometime during the reign of the Old Republic. It could be set 25 - 30 years after the OT, but with new characters. The original actors could even make cameo appearances since they would appear about the right age.

LusiferSam
09-30-2004, 11:33 AM
At this point, no. I've completely lost my interest to collect the modern lines. I'm keeping what I have, but not getting any more at this point. And any TV show live or animated I see as by like Droids or Ewoks or the Ewok movies, junk and totally dismissed by most of the fans.

If I were to buy these I go with my old habits and buy the figures, vehicles and playsets (if any). Stuff not in the show I would be hesitant to get.

Kidhuman
09-30-2004, 11:59 AM
I would buy them only if I liked the show. If I didnt then I wouldnt, unless they were pretty darn cool.

JabbaGlob
09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Too soon to tell, but I'd need to see pictures of the product before saying I'd buy something. I suppose it would all depend on how well the figures blend with other figures in the collection. Personally I'd like to see a TV series that didn't stray too far into EU, perhaps centering around the adventures of a younger Boba Fett or Han Solo.

Ji'dai
09-30-2004, 12:33 PM
So long as the figures are in the 3-3/4" scale, yes. Whether I buy the beasts, vehicles, and playsets depends on whether I like the new series. I do this now with the prequels; I buy all the figures, but I'm not that enthusiastic about getting all the other crap. I do try to collect almost all new 3-3/4" scale OT product. But those were superior films and the toys based on them evoke a greater sense of nostalgia for me.

plasticfetish
09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Um... yes.

If the show was good, then yes. If the show stunk, then the toys would bomb, go on clearance, and then I'd still buy them. Yep, unless Hasbro freaked out and started making their toys out of wood, I'd probably buy some.

Kidhuman
09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Yep, unless Hasbro freaked out and started making their toys out of wood, I'd probably buy some.

Would you change your screen name then if they did that?

stillakid
09-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Would you change your screen name then if they did that?

This is a family site! :eek:

plasticfetish
09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Hahahahahaha.

Splinterfetish?

B'Omarr Monkey
09-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Without knowing what the show is, or what the quality is?

Let's put it this way, if Hasbro introduced waves of figures from "Caravan of Courage" or "The SW Holiday Special" I'd buy them.

So the answer, is "yes."

stillakid
09-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Without knowing what the show is, or what the quality is?

Let's put it this way, if Hasbro introduced waves of figures from "Caravan of Courage" or "The SW Holiday Special" I'd buy them.

So the answer, is "yes."

What if it was "Jar Jar's Busy Day"? :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, I probably would, unless the show was really, really bad, or the figures were ten times the normal price or something. I hope neither of those come true. :D

Slicker
09-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm a brainwashed Star Wars consumer, so I'll buy everything whether I like it or not. :crazed:Ditto. I can only think of one thing Star Wars that I honestly didn't want to buy and didn't and that is the Cruisemissle Trooper "What a piece of junk".

DarkArtist
09-30-2004, 04:11 PM
It all depends on what the figures and other merchandise looks like. I mean there are figures coming out now, that I'm not cool with, so if I don't like the product, I'm not going to buy.
Anyway 2006 is far away, I have alot of time before they come out. :ermm:

mericen
09-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes i would buy them. I would buy two of each, one to open and one to keep in the package, plus multiples of generic characters.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-30-2004, 11:10 PM
What if it was "Jar Jar's Busy Day"? :D

You saw my post about "Wicket and Jar Jar" on the thread that actually deals with the series itself, so you know that the answer to this is...

Are we talking new sculpts, or recards?

Kidhuman
10-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Hopefully new sculpts B'Omarr

B'Omarr Monkey
10-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Hopefully new sculpts B'Omarr

Then I'm in. :)

Knightfall
10-02-2004, 12:57 PM
It would depend on the content of the show. If it were set during the OT timeframe (perhaps following the adventures of a Rebel fighter squadron?), I'd be all over it. If it were set after the events of the OT, then I might buy them, depending on whether I like the show or not. If it were set prior to or during the time of the PT (or God forbid the Clone Wars), there's a very slim chance that I'd be interested. Basically, the exact same way I decide what movie-based figures to buy.