PDA

View Full Version : Please Read Hasbro

adultstarwarsfreak
09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Okay, this is my first thread so I want to make it good. The new vintage artoo looks great, I love the idea with interchangable pieces with the arm saw, but is not complete without the sensorscope. Why don't you make a artoo that every fan wants. take it a step further with interchangabe domes, with different accesories along with the current peices, with a removable third leg and BAM, you have a deluxe figure that is a must have. :) :) :)

Anyone else likes this idea?

stillakid
09-30-2004, 03:21 PM
I think it's great! :D I've always wondered why they couldn't consolodate the variety of features we've seen in R2 all in one easy to chew on toy. From the bartender tray, the tools, the ejecting lightsaber, and the retractable third leg, there are a number of ideas that could easily fit into that little barrel. And with the further miniaturization of electronics, they might even be able to squeeze some chirps in there as well.

Slicker
09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
They could make it a deluxe figure or something. They came pretty close with the FF Artoo with all of the accesories but us collectors want it all so give it to us.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey, that's a really good idea. They could bring back the vintage droid factory playset, but with lots of different R2 pieces. Oh, and by the way, the vintage R2-D2 does have a sensorscope, or at least a periscope. :)

adultstarwarsfreak
09-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey, that's a really good idea. They could bring back the vintage droid factory playset, but with lots of different R2 pieces. Oh, and by the way, the vintage R2-D2 does have a sensorscope, or at least a periscope. :)

...Really, I have not seen any pics yet. I think a dome with a sensorscope, or periscope molded into it would be a plus. Absolutely no visible holes!!! Got that Hasbro! Is the third leg removeable or retractable...or is it stuck!

jedi master sal
10-01-2004, 08:06 AM
I posted this as a response in the "Dear Hasbro" forum but felt the need to post it here as well so more of you would see this. Hasbro can easily do this and with the OT line going strong and they already have the molds could get this out to us fairly quick. Read on...

[Reposted message]
I REALLY like the idea of a droid factory. If Hasbro did that now, they'd have a plethora of droids and their parts to include in the set.

Here's an example of droid parts to include:
several R2 bodies, legs and third legs
different R2 dome (colors and for the sensor scope to rest in)
R5 dome!!! along with R3, R4 domes as well.

besides the Astromech droid series they can also include:
Power droids
Possibly protocol droids (different colors)
the CZ droid! (Kind of a "skeletal" C-3PO)
the "Umbrella" droid from the purchase of the droid scene (was kind of done with the Beru figure, but here is a chance to make it better)
Just to mention a few.

I've stayed away for the war like droids as we have plenty of those, besides that could be a completely different set.
The one mentioned above could be an Original Trilogy Droid Factory Set. Then Hasbro could make a Prequel set if the Original did fairly well or make the prequel set first then the OT set. The Prequel Droid factory would basically be the Geonosis factory.
It would include things like:
Battle droid parts
Super Battle droid parts
Droideka (Destroyer droid) parts
conveyor belts (just the same ones we've been getting in alot of other figures (saves them money since they already have the mold).
AND if they really wanted to cap this off they could have the parts to build one COMPLETE Homing Spider droid. This was the TALL 4 legged droid during the battle of Geonosis. It had the small radar dishes on it and was the bigger cousin to the dwarf spider droid that has already been realized as a wind up toy.
I could guarantee that set would sell!
Besides wanting to have a cool set with lots of army builders, Hasbro would invariably draw us in with the prospect of having a Homing Droid. This could be HUGE and yet take up very little space in the box and be VERY easy to manufacture. After all, all of the legs are the same (they did this with the dwarf spider droid toy if you'll remember). Also the "body" of the Homing droid is virtually the same from top to bottom so the top half and bottom half could be the same, with just the radar dishes a little different. At that the halves of the body could have a small hole at the tops to insert the radar dishes. Very simple and cheap yet it gives us a desired vehicle/droid.

Each set could retail for $50. To break it down it would include enough parts for 7 figures for the OT set (in the case of the prequel set parts for 5 droids-see below), a BIG factory base, and some type of plastic "mechancal" arm to move the parts around. Very much like the Vintage set.

The Prequel set would definitely be worth it, with the inclusion of the Homing spider droid. This is also why the prequel set would have a lower amount of droid parts because of the Homing droid's inclusion. The OT set would have sentimental value and I'm sure collectors would scarf it up.

The breakdown of droid parts could be like this:
OT set:
4 R2's (including the R5, R4 and R3 domes we'd also have 2 R2 domes)
1 Power droid (Gonk droid)
1 CZ droid (this is the exclusive for this set)
1 umbrella droid

Prequel set
2 battle droids (both red)
2 super battle droids
1 destroyer droid
and of course the Homing spider droid

If Hasbro came out with the Prequel set first and it sold well, then they could move on with the OT set and sell it at the same price of $50, if it didn't do so well then they could still come out with the OT set but maybe drop the price by $5-10 since it wouldn't have the big exclusive (Homing Spider droid) and just the smaller one (CZ droid).

Gawd, I should be designing in the toy industry and not for the University I work at.

So what do you think?
-Sal
[End of reposted message]

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
...Really, I have not seen any pics yet. I think a dome with a sensorscope, or periscope molded into it would be a plus. Absolutely no visible holes!!! Got that Hasbro! Is the third leg removeable or retractable...or is it stuck!
The VOTC R2-D2 has these features:
*Pop-up scope when head is turned
*Clicking, vac-metal dome
*Light-up eye (like 95 version)
*Changeable panel to simulate closed and opened doors
*Buzzsaw and arm thing, both can plug into "open" door
*Removable third leg