PDA

View Full Version : Why hesitate to train him?

Slicker
10-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Why, with the Galactic Empire at it's peak of power (yes the Death Star was destroyed but another one is on the way and they wiped out countless Rebels) does Yoda at first hesitate to train Luke in the ways of the Jedi. He claims that he is too old and yes he is but the Galaxy isn't getting any better with the Empire claiming star systems daily and the Rebellion losing support throughout this same Galaxy.

Only with the prodding of Ben does Yoda finally give in and train him. Yoda may have had reservations about training him due to the fact that Vader is his father and that Luke has much hate in him but it's a gamble that Yoda must make to try and restore order to the Galaxy. What harm could Luke going to the Dark Side have if the Rebellion is already dead?

El Chuxter
10-01-2004, 05:43 PM
I think it was entirely a test of Luke's patience.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2004, 06:14 PM
I think it was entirely a test of Luke's patience.
Yeah, that's also why Yoda was acting like a whackjob before he revealed his true identity and personality.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-01-2004, 10:44 PM
What harm could Luke going to the Dark Side have if the Rebellion is already dead?

At that point, perhaps the rebels still have a chance. However, if he trains Luke and he goes to the Dark Side, then that would certainly spell doom for the rebels. As it was, Yoda didn't want Luke to leave because his training was incomplete and he would be tempted by the Dark Side.

Kidhuman
10-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Yoda knew he was coming. He had to test him somehow. Also I agree with JabbaJohnL with the fact that he is a Skywalker and has the same traits his dad id/does.