PDA

View Full Version : October 2004: Monthly DVD Round-up!!

Pendo
10-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Here's my list for this month:

4th October
The Brittas Empire Series 5
The Goonies
That Peter Kay Thing

18th October
The Day After Tomorrow
Red Dwarf - Just The Shows Box Set

25th October
Friends - Complete Series 1 to 10
The Office Christmas Specials

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
10-04-2004, 05:19 AM
26th October
Dawn of the Dead Unrated Director's Cut

Mandalorian Candidat
10-04-2004, 08:50 AM
ooh...Goonies!

I think the Aladdin DVD comes out tomorrow too.

Rocketboy
10-04-2004, 10:23 AM
10/5
Fahrenheit 9/11
10/19
Hellboy (Director's Cut)

There are few others I'd like to get (Viva La Bam - season 1) or at at least see eventually (The Hole), but I'm in no big hurry for 'em

El Chuxter
10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
The Goonies?!? Is this an SE re-release or something? Why wasn't I informed?

I know I'm getting Fahrenheit 911 and Aladdin, and am debating Saved and The Shawshank Redemption reissue for this week.

James Boba Fettfield
10-04-2004, 11:44 AM
It's the same old Goonies dvd that's been out in the Region 1 area for some time. I guess Region 2 is just now getting the Goonies on dvd. :confused: Just a guess, though.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
A big month for me, which means I won't be getting everything as it comes out (story of my life), but here goes:

OCT 5:

Aladdin
It's Alive
It Lives Again/Island of the Alive (if I really want to punish myself)
The Fearless Vampire Killers

OCT 12:

Ren and Stimpy complete 1st and 2nd season uncut. I have a friend who worked on the show, so I have all of these, but the idea of consolidating space by eliminating about a dozen vhs tapes makes it tempting.

OCT 19:

Conquest of Space
Ed Wood - Special edition - I just watched this last week w/all the bonus material. I have a friend who worked at Borders and he snagged one before they recalled it last year. Now I want one for myself.

Creature From the Black Lagoon - Lecacy set
Explorers
Eyes Without a Face
Godzilla vs Hedorah - for my son
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 1974 - for my son
Hellboy - director's cut
Invisible Man - Legacy set
The Mummy - Legacy set
Wacky Races - box set

OCT 26:

Dawn of the Dead - unrated
The Deadly Spawn

Does anyone know if the 2nd batch of Universal Monster Legacy sets are coming out as a boxed set w/Sideshow mini-busts like the first batch did? I've not seen such a thing listed in any preorder listings.

evenflow
10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Very empty month for me, just 1 for sure.

October 19th
Hellboy - Director's Cut

I may pick up Van Helsing on the 19th as well, but I am not sure.

James Boba Fettfield
10-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know if the 2nd batch of Universal Monster Legacy sets are coming out as a boxed set w/Sideshow mini-busts like the first batch did? I've not seen such a thing listed in any preorder listings.

No busts with these three new sets.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
No busts with these three new sets.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
10-05-2004, 10:41 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheer up. If you buy the Hellboy director's cut giftset you can get a Hellboy minibust. I know it is not the same as a classic Universal monster, but it's something.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm looking forward to the Hellboy bust as well. I just think it's a crime not to do the Universal ones. With the way DVDs are marketed these days, there will probably be a set w/mini-busts announced in three months, after everyone has already bought the individual Legacy sets. :rolleyes:

Hellboy
10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
October 5th:
-Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhatten - wasn't planning on buying this because I'm not a fan of the entire series but when I saw it yesterday I couldn't pass it up.

October 19th:
-Hellboy: Director's Cut

October 26th:
-Dawn of the Dead: Unrated

Jayspawn
10-13-2004, 11:47 PM
The 19th is the big day for me.....

The Mummy Legacy Collection
The Invisible Man Legacy Collection
The Creature Legacy Collection
Ed Wood SPecial Edition
Species Special Edition

tagmac
10-14-2004, 10:33 AM
October 23
Garfield's Holiday Specials - with this DVD, all they need to release are Mickey's Christmas Carol, Twas the Night Before Christmas, and Fat Albert to get all the holiday classics on DVD.

SithDroid
10-25-2004, 10:54 PM
A big month for me too:

Oct 5th
Aladdin
Friday the 13th Collection
North and South Mini Series
Shawshank Redemption Special Edition

Oct 12th
Thats Entertainment! Boxed Set
Jamie Kennedy Experiment Season 2
Ren & Stimpy Season 1 & 2

Oct 19th
The Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection
The Invisible Man Legacy Collection
The Mummy Legacy Collection
Ed Wood
Hellboy Director's Cut
Van Helsing

Oct 26th
Mulan
That 70's Show Season One
21 Jump Street Season One

Hellboy
10-27-2004, 03:51 PM
I unexpectedly decided to pick up the Collectors Edition of John Carpenter's The Thing this month. I still hadn't upgraded from my Laserdisc SE release so I jumped on this since it was only $15. Cool package design too.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-29-2004, 10:16 PM
I looked at that. It didn't look to me that there was anything on it that wasn't on the previous DVD release of "The Thing," so I passed. I am in no way disappointed by this. I am sick to death of buying DVDs full of bonus material, only to have a more loaded set come out six months later.

I'm still so far behind on the stuff I want, that it was a relief to be able to put the $20 towards something I didn't have already.

Enjoy it though, HB. The interviews are very nice. I think there's some stuff on there I haven't gotten around to watching yet, myself.

James Boba Fettfield
10-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Isn't the only difference on the new Thing set just an anamorphic widescreen picture?

jonthejedi
10-30-2004, 04:32 AM
I'm right there with you guys on these bonus, directors, special edition DVD rehashes. Predator I can understand. I think Fox Home Video hit rock bottom with Master & Commander; and then Day After Tomorrow...which had almost no bonus material(Video Business blasted 'em for that). Master & Commander had 2 versions of the same movie on street date; one with extras, one with just the movie. C'mon fellas, other studios can do the bonus stuff right outa the gate with the original release. Now Hellboy has a better director's cut less than 4 months after the original release. And how many times can Gone With The Wind & Wizard of Oz be remastered? I passed on War of the Worlds, Mysterious Island(Ray Harryhausen) & 7th Voyage of Sinbad(Ray Harryhausen) because the laserdiscs had newly redone stereo music tracks from Bernard Hermanns orig. recording sessions. Then the DVD's came out with mono tracks(not an improvement!!!!). I love The Thing(John Carpenter's best film!), but it looks to me like the remastered film is the only new gimmick. I'm still debating on Heston's Planet of the Apes. The prev. was THX.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-30-2004, 02:34 PM
I actually bought both versions of Hellboy. There's enough bonus material on the 2-disc set which is not included on the 3-disc version to make having both sets worthwhile. Just all of the Gerald McBoing-Boing and Tell-Tale Heart cartoons alone are worth it. There's also the Mignola commentary, which I haven't listened to yet. This, was also at least a little more fair. I bought the 2-disc set, knowing that the 3-disc set was coming out.

I hate when I buy something, though, and then a year or two later, a fully loaded DVD set comes out, which should have been what was released in the first place. "Saving Private Ryan" is a good example. the original release had nothing on it for the most part. A few months ago they reissued it with, what I hear is a good 'making of' feature. Why wasn't that on there the first time? I'd love to watch it, but I'm not spending another $20 to get it. The upcoming 3-disc "Pirates of the Carribean" set is another example. I don't feel hearbroken over this, as most of the extras in the initial release were pretty shallow, but again, if they had all this stuff, why wasn't it offered in the first place? Who hasn't bought "POTC" yet who wants to own it? Of course, POTC isn't the best example since this is coming from money grubbing Disney.

There is so much money to be mined from DVD sales as it is, without trying to get people to pony up for the same movie 2 or more times in the space of a couple of years. There's over 100 years worth of movies that haven't been released on DVD yet, and in the meantime, we've got how many versions of "Army of Darkness" available?