PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!!!

ronhudy
10-04-2004, 08:05 PM
I was in a Las Vegas area Wal-Mart this morning checking out the latest OTC/VOTC stuff. I noticed some of the newer figures, i.e. Jawas, Wicket, Tusken Raider, etc., as well as about 4 or 5 Dagobah Luke's - Handstand variation. I've picked one of these up already for my son's collection, but thought I might grab another. It was then that I noticed that all of them were creased. A couple had the crease on the top left corner, a few on the top right corner...and these were the ONLY cards of all the figures on the pegs that were creased. Everything else was in pretty good shape. This tells me that someone intentionally bent them all; otherwise the creases wouldn't have been as sporadic, or only on this particular figure. Unless someone was a collector and knew that this figure was currently somewhat rare, why would they do this?!

SHAME ON YOU...whoever you are.

Darth Alex
10-04-2004, 08:43 PM
I've seen this happen in NE PA. Some people are nuts. If you go around INTENTIONALLY damaging anything in a store that's not yours, well, you are NUTS. Case closed. Sorry to hear it...as I saw from my trip to Vegas last week, you folks out there have a hard enough time finding stuff....

DarthQuack
10-04-2004, 08:59 PM
This is just disgraceful. These 4-letter words are not collectors in my mind. You collect figures but you rip and crease other ones so people like us don't get them in Pristine condition? That is just horrible, hopefully this person's collection will burn in a FIRE. :mad:

mrpauldeeds
10-04-2004, 11:28 PM
i really HATE (hate is a stong word, but it belongs here) but i really (explicit) hate that. i cant tell you on how many times i go into a target or toys r us and the 'hard to fide' figs are all bent up. being a MOC collector, man it just makes me mad:mad:

lol just today, saw a OTC jawa( ive never seen it anywhere) , all bent up. SHAME SHAME SHAME!!! bending one card is not gunna make urs go up in price, its a hobby not scandle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frus:

B'Omarr Monkey
10-04-2004, 11:54 PM
I've heard that in the past this practice was done by store employees themselves, to keep collectors/scalpers from picking the racks clean of the harder to find figures, so that everyone would get a chance at them. I guess kids don't care if the card is creased. You can argue whether this makes any sense to you, or not.

In my case, it's always worked to my favor. I'm an opener. There's some figures I would never have found if it weren't for that single rejected non-mint card hanging there on the pegs. As long as the figure is unharmed and all the accessories are there, I don't care.

I'm sorry for the rest of you though.

Slicker
10-05-2004, 06:07 PM
I remember a few years KB I think was using hole punchers to put little holes in the cards so collectors wouldn't buy up all of the rare figures. Some people do need some brain examination. It's pretty much the collector not wanting anyone else to have what he has. Just like a little child.:mad:

Not only does this rob collectors but it robs the store and if that product don't sell they don't get the money and we don't get any new figures on the shelves.

Ji'dai
10-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I've heard of stores doing this intentionally to deter scalpers too. I thought Target was punching holes in the boxes or the cards.

Back in the POTF heydays I always had trouble finding cinema scenes or vehicles without knife cuts in the boxes. But that was just stockers slicing the shipping cartons open without worrying too much about damaging the stock inside.

Slicker
10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I wasn't quite sure which store it was. I've also had the problem with the knife slashes in the boxes namely Luke Endor on Speeder Bike and a cinema scene or two.

El Chuxter
10-05-2004, 06:23 PM
So Handstand Luke is the rare one? Maybe I shouldn't have opened mine. :D

(Don't worry. Some SOB came through and damaged the card, which is how I found all the Dagobah wave, except for that stupid Ghosti-Wan that's all over the place.)

Kidhuman
10-05-2004, 09:45 PM
That peeves me so much. I wish I would find someone doing that. I would report them to the manager. By law, they could make the person pay for those, since he damaged the merchandise.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
That peeves me so much. I wish I would find someone doing that. I would report them to the manager. By law, they could make the person pay for those, since he damaged the merchandise.

Surer, unless it's the manager doing it, or some employee at the manager's instruction.

DarthChuckMc
10-06-2004, 12:17 AM
No manager in there right mind would have an employee purposely damage packaging to deter collectors....that is simply insane....it's losing sales....

I can tell you for a fact, 100%, hand to GOD, that I have opend MINT cases from HASBRO, and found figures damaged the way you guys are describing. I've had this happen with cases I bought online, and cases I've opened at my store. I've also had cases come off the truck that looked like a pallet of dog food was stacked on top of them.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't vigalante collectors out there damaging toys (because there are a few nut jobs out there), or that SOME store employees aren't taking things too far, but chances are, you could be finding the product of poor manufacturing, or shipping procedures.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I know this has been done in the past as store policy, because I heard it from store employees myself. Though, this was around the time the Mon Mothma wave of POTF2 was coming out--when it was scarce, and not remaindered for $1 a piece. At the time many of the cahin stores were also limiting SW toys at one per each figure per customer. I know because I was told to surrender my doubles at the register. this was all done to keep the scalpers rom cleaning them out, and driving away the disgruntled collectors who were buying for themselves, and for kids who could never find anything new on the pegs. Of course, they should have been ordering more product, as they should now.

I'm not condoning it, excusing it, or trying to rationally explain it. i just know it's happened. I also know that cards get bent being packed into cases, cases get crunched in the trucks, cards get slashed when the cases are opened, etc., and that that accounts for much of the damage, that's normal. This does not dismiss the fact that it's sometimes done on purpose, and not just by mean collectors. I know it doesn't make sense from a sales perspective, but neither does under ordering product that is in demand, while stuff that no one wants clogs several feet of shelf space.

DarthChuckMc
10-06-2004, 05:21 PM
neither does under ordering product that is in demand, while stuff that no one wants clogs several feet of shelf space.

Target stores DO NOT order cases of figures. The buyers in MN order from Hasbro. Cases are sent to the DC's, and then shipped to each store. The store gets more in, depending on how sales are. If your particular Target gets in 3 cases (36 figures), and sells all 3 cases in a week, the next week they will get 3 more cases, provided the DC hasn't run out. If the store gets 3 cases, and sells 3 figures, and the other 33 sit there for a month, then they won't get any more until the rest have sold. Typically, when we get down to 2-3 figures on the pegs, at least one case will ship to the store the fill up the pegs a bit. Stores that sell MORE figures FASTER, will get MORE figures FASTER. Slower selling stores don't get replinished as much as fast. Why have 36 figures sitting at store "A" in East Orlando, when store "B" in West Orlando can sell them in 3 days.

There is a method to the madness, but it isn't perfect by any means.

ronhudy
10-08-2004, 05:50 PM
No manager in there right mind would have an employee purposely damage packaging to deter collectors....that is simply insane....it's losing sales....

I can tell you for a fact, 100%, hand to GOD, that I have opend MINT cases from HASBRO, and found figures damaged the way you guys are describing. I've had this happen with cases I bought online, and cases I've opened at my store. I've also had cases come off the truck that looked like a pallet of dog food was stacked on top of them.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't vigalante collectors out there damaging toys (because there are a few nut jobs out there), or that SOME store employees aren't taking things too far, but chances are, you could be finding the product of poor manufacturing, or shipping procedures.

I'm sure you have seen what you described - I have too. But in this case, I know it was intentional, because it was only that particular figure. Everything else was mint, and as far as I know, the Handstand Luke doesn't ship in a case by itself. The creases were not all in one spot on the cards, as they would be if the case was damaged from the outside. They were on both sides at the top, and very obvious that someone had just grabbed it between their thumb and forefinger and bent it over. The creases were too sharp to have been done from outside the box.

I'm not the crazed collector I used to be. I buy a few things here and there, but my son has pretty much taken the reins. He buys some figures for displaying carded, and others he opens. So it's not like I'm wanting to buy 2 of every figure in mint condition when I shop. I just think it's a very dishonest practice that one collector is doing to another.

And oh yeah...if I ever catch anyone doing it, watch your back going out to the parking lot...

Kidhuman
10-08-2004, 07:19 PM
And oh yeah...if I ever catch anyone doing it, watch your back going out to the parking lot...

GOod thing I dont plan on going to Vegas soon. :D