PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get the majority of your Star Wars toys?

JediTricks
10-04-2004, 08:34 PM
It's been quite a while since we last posed this question, and in that time, the buying patterns of the collecting base have changed, and a few major retailers have fallen to the wayside. So this poll is here to find out where collectors have been picking up their swag lately, is it the $750 billion dollar giant, the big red circle, the talking giraffe with the messy stores, or another avenue?

bpr2
10-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I get most of it from the top 3, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target. Next would be Kmart and KB toys. Target is number 1 this week, $3.88 for figures, I'm stocking up on new ones. I'm also price matching around town at the other stores listed. lol

DarthQuack
10-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Since I personally and behind on my collecting KB Toys got my vote although Target would get a close second, you can't really go wrong with KB and the way they sell some figures for $2.99.

Mr Fett
10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I always get my toys from EE that way I get case fresh figures & I always get all the figures released. i know that some times (most of the time) I get repeats it nice since I'm both an opener and a MOC collector:crazed:

Darth Jax
10-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Target gets most of my toy dollars, Star Wars and otherwise. The only time i'll purchase something from WallyWorld (i get almost physically ill walking through the doors) is if it's an exclusive and not available anywhere else. TRU is where i rarely find something new, but i don't hesitate to pick it up if its on their shelves. i only use e-tailers for older merchandise to round out my collection of previous lines and the rare exclusive that eludes me.

Rocketboy
10-04-2004, 10:05 PM
I voted Other because it tends to vary.
I usually go to Target if possible, but my local Target is terrible at stocking new stuff.
As of late, Wal-Mart has had quite a few newer figs, though I haven't bought one there in ages. Evil, evil place.
Meijer's (a mainly mid-west dept. store chain - I think) has had a lot of good, new figures lately and they've gotten my last couple purchases.

stillakid
10-04-2004, 10:39 PM
A while back (can't remember when) I signed up for the One of Every Figure Club at Kebcotoys.com. I grew increasingly discontent with the poor distribution at the major popular retailers like Target and Toys R Us. Forget Walmart or Kmart. Completely worthless trips every single time. IF there is an exclusive, I usually make an honest attempt to find it at retail, but usually the effort is in vain so I end up back on the internet. I do still visit TRU and Target in case I want to pick up some army builders or a new vehicle, but for the most part, my collectables come to me. Less gas. Less hassle. Less frustration. More time to play. :classic:

dindae
10-04-2004, 11:12 PM
A while back (can't remember when) I signed up for the One of Every Figure Club at Kebcotoys.com. I grew increasingly discontent with the poor distribution at the major popular retailers like Target and Toys R Us. Forget Walmart or Kmart. Completely worthless trips every single time. IF there is an exclusive, I usually make an honest attempt to find it at retail, but usually the effort is in vain so I end up back on the internet. I do still visit TRU and Target in case I want to pick up some army builders or a new vehicle, but for the most part, my collectables come to me. Less gas. Less hassle. Less frustration. More time to play. :classic:

Ditto although I have thought to go back. I never had that hard of a time and it was something to do with my lunch break. Plus it is hard to resist seeing something in the store and having to put it back because it will be coming someday in the mail.

plasticfetish
10-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Target mostly... I have something like five of them around me. I do hit Wal*Mart often. Again, there's five of them around me, so as much as I dislike the place, it's there. (That should be their motto, "You may hate us, but we're here.") Toys R Us rarely has anything that I need, and the place is mess, but... maybe someday they'll pull it together. K-Mart has been kind of a surprise lately. The store near me really seems to be trying to not be Wal*Mart, so it's been OK to shop there -- and I've been finding things there also. KB toys is a complete waste of time (really sad.) There are no smaller options around me, the local comic shop pretty much gave up on Star Wars a while ago. I generally don't find it fun to shop online, so I simply don't do it -- not to mention, I like being able to see and handle things before I decide to buy them.

jedi-cpa
10-05-2004, 05:07 AM
KEBCO is the front runner. One of every fig and deluxe fig. Vehicles at TRU, and of course if there is an exclusive elsewhere, I'll try to get it there, but I am not really near a targetor Walmart or Kmart...so eBay is usually my way of obtaining these.

Knightfall
10-05-2004, 05:32 AM
I get a lot of stuff from Target, with Meijer running a close second. Wal-Mart, Kmart, and TRU are non-factors in my toy shopping (although I do stop in TRU out of, I guess, old habit, I rarely if ever buy anything there).

B'Omarr Monkey
10-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Lately it's been Target. I do occassionally hit TRU (which is a bit out of my way), Meijer, and our lame Wal-Mart. I'm a bit behind. I still haven't found any of the TESB or ROTJ VOTC figures, or the Bespin OTC figures, bur I'm not sweating it. A year ago, I was so far behind, I almost gave up, but found everything eventually.

I'd go the Kebco route myself, but since I work freelance my income fluctuates, so I can't commit to something that requires me to be paying regularly like that. That said, the next time we get one of those impossible to find waves, like Sio Bibble, I'll probably give up on retail and sign up w/Kebco.

megaprime33
10-05-2004, 10:22 AM
It really all depends on where I am at the time. If I am either of the stores listed when I see something I like, I buy it, but I guess generally I will go with TRU because of its proximity to my house.

thomasandrea-call
10-05-2004, 10:59 AM
I voted E-tailers, they usally have them first and granted you pay a higher price but I do not have the time to call around or hunt around the different department stores looking for the new figures. Kebco Toys seems to have the items quicker as dose alliancecollectibles.com.

skeeziks22
10-05-2004, 11:06 AM
That said, the next time we get one of those impossible to find waves, like Sio Bibble, I'll probably give up on retail and sign up w/Kebco.

I only include this quote because I always wondered why this figure went for so much on the secondary market. Around me this guy sat around right next to the Naboo Royal security, Darth Sidious and Ric Olie on the pegs for months.

Anyways... I have no Target or Meijers in Alaska... I miss them both from Ohio. I'm dependent on Wal-Mart and TRU now that K-Mart has also fled the state. Not sure if it's those stores or the state, or a combination, but things get up here way slow. One thing though... all the stores here are kept in great shape (just not always stocked well). If I'm patient I find most everything I'm looking for except for the frequently short run final case assortment of the year (ephant mon case one year, concept trooper another year, and super poseable clone trooper case etc). I ebay a lot, but NEVER for new figures... only those old ones that are no longer shipping. And of course on-line for those internet exclusives.

Rocketboy
10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
I only include this quote because I always wondered why this figure went for so much on the secondary market. Around me this guy sat around right next to the Naboo Royal security, Darth Sidious and Ric Olie on the pegs for months.
Apparently your area got all of them. Don't think I ever saw them.

El Chuxter
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
I'd have to say overall, mostly Target.

I hate Wal-Mart and loathe to give them business, but I still check them out regularly (they're the only place open before I go to work, for one thing), and if something new is there, I'll get it.

The TRU's near me are a joke, and of late their prices seem to be steadily increasing.

I stopped going to K-Mart altogether a year or so ago, but have stopped by on a whim a few times in the past month or two. I've been pleasantly surprised each time, though the higher prices dissuade me on all but the rarest figures. However, I did pick up quite a bit during their recent sale, since (unlike Target so far this week) they actually had some stuff in stock to mark down.

KB is very hit and miss. Except on the clearance stuff, their prices are usually just too high. I plan on getting the Deluxe Kamino figures there in a month or two, when they're $7.99. :)

I'm not aware of any mom & pop stores around me, and the comic shops' prices are laughable.

I occasionally buy from online e-tailers, but usually the prices are a deterrent. A buddy of mine and I split a case of VOTC Wave 1 from Kebco in June, but as of two weeks ago it still hadn't arrived and they refused to return his (many) e-mails, so he ended up disputing the preorder charge with his credit card and we got them at K-Mart. I'd never bought directly from Kebco before, but that pretty much guarantees I never will in the future. Entertainment Earth, Amazon, and the others are the way I'd go online.

LusiferSam
10-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I voted for other. I pretty much stopped buying Hasbro's stuff a year ago and books and comics 4 years ago. The only current stuff I'm still buying is Lego (but that may stop shortly as well). And generally speaking when I buy SW legos its from what I'd call other.

If I was still buying figures Wal-Mart would be my top pick. Locally they have always had the best stock of figures. Towards the end of my figure buying Target was better, but these things tend to run in cycles.

skuupa
10-05-2004, 11:44 AM
I would have to vote on Wal-Mart by far. They always get the new ones in unlike the lame Target and TRU around here. And if everyone hates WM so much and never find anything, then why is it on this web-site every few days they are announcing that new figures were found there? You star wars geeks need to really think for a change..........

Jaff
10-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Since I work at Wal-Mart and constantly order cases for me and the collectors I get all my VOTC and OTC figures there. Sometimes I go to Toys R Us but where I'm at they just got the first wave of OTC figures. It's positively pathetic how Toys R Us keeps their figures rotated in their warehouses. Suprisingly enough K-Mart has had allot of great finds for me. Still Wally world takes care of all my needs!

OC47150
10-05-2004, 01:52 PM
I answered this question as to the store I've bought most from this year.

I've had more luck at Kmart than other stores this year, followed by Target. There's one particular Kmart that's been very good to me this year. :D

WM and TRU has been too hit and miss this year for me. A Super WM opened in my community in August, and opening day was the last time I've bought a figure there. And it's been months for TRU. They're not stocking like the old days.

I can't overlook Meijer, 'cause I've had good luck on and off there this year.

Since I run around with a great group of SW collectors, we help each other out, and I've bought figures from guys who've bought cases from the online stores.

jedi master sal
10-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Wal Mart still sucks...

If I had a preference, I'd like to buy exclusively from TRU. Simply becuase it's a TOY STORE. Target and Wal Mart and the like have so much more different product that they could do without SW toys. Granted I'm in a metropolitan area so it's easy for me to shop at many stores in a week. I feel bad for you folks who only have one or two of these stores around.

Anyway, Target is surprisingly where I've been getting the most from. Again though, I feel the most loyalty or should I say nostalgia to/for TRU. If we'd do our part and just buy our toys from them (That's if you have the option to-if you have one locally), then I think you'd see a decline in Wal Mart and Target's toy sales. This would however help those WM and Target's and so on, who are out in the niddle of nowhere. Since they don't have to "compete" they'd be able to get stock more readily, since they woudln't have to "share" with other WM's who are competing with TRU.

Did that make sense?

What I'm saying is that if you have a choice of stores, pick TRU.

If you don't have a choice because you only have Wal Mart or Target for instance then it makes sense to go to those stores.

But for those who have that choice, let's at least try to make a small impact and help save this company by buying or SW toys there. (Exclusives notwithstanding) Yeah that's a tall order to fill, or a tough decision to make, but if you are truly tired of the retail GIANT monster that is Wal Mart, you wouldn't consider buying toys from them.

The only figures I've bought from them in the past 6 months are the DVD packs and 2 OTC figs (I thought they were going to be HTF at the time)

It stinks walking into TRU and not finding anything new. When I express this to their workers, they seem to understand and sympathize. They even go on to say that they've noticed a drop in customers because of an overabundance of old stock. (And that's not just SW either)

Sorry if I went off the beaten path a little,
Sal

El Chuxter
10-05-2004, 02:19 PM
That's somewhat true, but the majority of toy sales overall are from parents, who like the convenience of not going to a toy store. And for us, well, it's tough to buy exclusively from TRU when they don't have anything. I know the only way to ensure they get anything is to buy from them, so it's something of a catch-22. :(

Ji'dai
10-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Wal-Mart. It's hard to believe, but I actually find the great majority of my figures on those four or eight pegs. K-Mart has been a surprise recently since I've been seeing new stuff there before it hits anywhere else. TRU is barren most of the year and KB rarely has anything. I like Target, but the closest one is nearly an hour drive away. Specialty stores occasionally get stuff in (Suncoast was first for VOTC locally) but I always pass since the prices are too high.

I'm reluctant to buy online since I prefer picking out my own toys and checking paint apps myself.

Slicker
10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I voted Target mainly because my brother works their and he's the one that does my toy shopping for the time being and I get the discount so that works out fine.

I've also seen alot of good things about K-Mart in this poll so let's hope that they're back on there feet and stay going and keep the toy shelves stocked.

bobafrett
10-05-2004, 08:01 PM
I have bought most of the OT figures from the Wal-Mart I work at. Put since they only carry the 3 3/4 inch line and lightsabers, I have to go elsewhere to satisfy my 12", Unleashed, and vehicle toy needs.

Kidhuman
10-05-2004, 08:52 PM
I get most of mine from Wal-Mart. I tend to pick up some here and there, but 98% of ,my collection now a days comes from Wally WOrld.

dindae
10-05-2004, 11:06 PM
But for those who have that choice, let's at least try to make a small impact and help save this company by buying or SW toys there. (Exclusives notwithstanding) Yeah that's a tall order to fill, or a tough decision to make, but if you are truly tired of the retail GIANT monster that is Wal Mart, you wouldn't consider buying toys from them.

The only way that I can see happening is if they step up to the plate and become more customer service focus. Do things like offer preorders on toys, offer rain checks, or even just get that high tech inventory log they have to work properly (the one that they advertised during the super bowl a couple of years ago that was supposed to notice shortages of items and ship them the next day). And while I will miss Toys R Us if they no longer sell toys, they are a multi million dollar corporation and I find it hard to favor one corporate giant over another. But if they do go the way of the dodo, I believe Wal-Mart and Target should be forced to fund the homeless shelters and employment programs for all the "Toys R Us kids" that had to grow up and are now 40 and have no job skills. :D

JediTricks
10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
First off, to Meijer voters, I actually did think about adding your chain to the list even though I've never seen one in person, but the bottom line was that they aren't national and I ran out of spaces for that option. :D

It's saddening to see how the mom & pop stores have totally dried up for toys, but it's not surprising unfortunately.

It's also not surprising that Toys R Us is going through rough times and collectors just happen to be finding themselves counting on the backwards R less and less these days, I don't think it's a coincidence. TRU in the past 15 years has survived in large part depending on toy collectors, and now that their policies basically turn their backs on those same collectors forcing these year-round, guaranteed, eager customers to find other alternatives, the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Yet of course their shortsighted, foolhearty management can't see the forest for the trees here, these are the same clowns who gave away prime real estate by the front door in every store to unlicensed stuffed animals and the same clowns who greenlighted the current Concept 3000 floorplan which has become a miserable eyesore - destroying display space, lighting, flow, and customer traffic. TRU is currently in 4th place in this poll behind not just the 2 large discount chains, but also behind etailers.

I myself voted for Target. Though I haven't really had consistent finds at all in the last few years, I have had the majority of my finds at Target, and not just because there are more of them in my area than TRU or WM, respectively.

plasticfetish
10-07-2004, 12:48 AM
destroying display space, lighting, flow, and customer traffic.Have you seen the new plexi display things that they've started putting out on the shelves with toys set up in little scenes? First clever idea they've had in a while.

Now if they'd just fire all of their deadwood middle management and hire bright motivated store managers, who'll be allowed to hire and properly pay a decent staff, they'll probably pull out of this slump.

CaptainSolo1138
10-07-2004, 10:50 PM
I get most of my stuff at Target. My employee discount almost justifies spending money on the garbage we stock. All figures are $3.88 and we didn't/won't have any OTC. Thanks for keeping those pegs warm, Aayla Secura!

Darth Mina
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
My vote went to the E-tailers, I don't have any time to do any toy runs like before. Since i live in the SoCal area EE gets my money, having extra figures is not soooo bad, I can always dump them on E-bay or use the as X-mas presents

JediTricks
10-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Have you seen the new plexi display things that they've started putting out on the shelves with toys set up in little scenes? First clever idea they've had in a while. I have noticed those, they're good ideas but are a little half-hearted, and I've noticed some stores aren't very careful with how they make their displays, especially with Lego and Transformers, it doesn't do much good when you make the toy look WORSE. The ideas aren't really TRU's though, the idea has been around for a while, some toy companies like Lego and Bandai have been sending out similar displays to the big retailers for years. I still see the Gundam and Zoids model kit ones at the more pathetic TRUs, and the items inside are all messed up and dusty. :D

plasticfetish
10-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Yeah... I never assumed it was their idea, just that it was an OK try on their part to display the toys. (Better than nothing I suppose.)

It seems like they're assembled somewhere, and then shipped to the stores. A few of the ones that I've seen are a little banged up, and none of the Lego displays were plugged in. Mostly, they just don't fit in very well with the way the shelves and sections are laid out.

Eh... they'll be out back by the dumpster soon enough I suppose.

JediTricks
10-09-2004, 02:49 AM
They're sent unassembled and the employees are supposed to slap 'em together, the Lego Millennium Falcon and TIE vs Y sets were botched pretty obviously at one store, and you should see how mistransformed poor Omega Supreme is at TRU in Culver City, he doesn't even have a FACE! ;)

They're not bad, they make sense, show the folks what they might want to buy the kiddies for the holiday season, but if you want to sell a $50 Omega Supreme, the least you could do is actually show the guy's face!

The stores sometimes give these away, so it might not hurt to ask after 'em.

Val Da Car
10-09-2004, 09:10 AM
As for my last 50 figures the breakdown is something like this....

33 KBtoys.com
4 K Mart (nothing new since then
8 TRU (VOTC mostly)
5 Walmart

Yes I am army/scene building.

Kyle Katarn
10-11-2004, 11:34 AM
I buy most of my figures at Toys R' Us, I find a big bunch of figures there, but when I can't go there, or there are no nw figures I buy em in Wal Mart or in KB Toys.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-12-2004, 09:41 PM
I voted for other because it has been spread out over all the stores this year. Historically, I've bought more from Target, but 2004 started with not being able to find much except at Fred Meyer. Target would heat up for a while, but lately I've not seen anything new there after they lowered the prices. Once the OTC stuff started to show up, I got a lot at Wal-Mart and some at TRU. I've also found a few at K-Mart. Here's a tally of the number of items I've got from each place in 2004:

Wal-Mart = 24; TRU = 19; Target = 18; Fred Meyer = 15; K-Mart = 7; Various online sources = 7.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Target is now the frontrunner when it comes to obtaining my Star Wars figures. I find there stores clean, neat, cheap and usually well-stocked. I attend graduate classes two nights a week, and I can hit 2 Targets easily, without having to alter my route much.

Wal-Mart was the #1 store of my business up until the beginning of the year when I grew disillusioned with their various seedy business practices. They went from about 75% of my business to about 5% now. Having crowded stores with merchandise strewn about, doesn't add much either, but I always looked that over.

Did anyone read the latest info. on Wal-Marts monopolistic strong-arming of the record industry in the latest Rolling Stone issue? It is sad when a retailer has that much power.