PDA

View Full Version : Your Star Wars Misconceptions

Slicker
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
When we were all kids (hell I'm only 22 so I'm still a kid) we watched the movies through a childs eyes. Now that we're older in age we can watch them differently and realize what's going on. Now that I look back I realize that some of things that I thought about the movies were way off such as my thinking that the Ewoks were all baby Chewies or that Bib Fortuna was a man and not a women which I only came to realize a couple of years ago.

I've read some from other sites like one kid thought that Jabba was Leia's dad and another that Han and Chewie were brothers. What are some of the things that you have come to realize are some of your misconceptions of the Holiest of Trilogy's or even the Prequels?

stillakid
10-06-2004, 12:11 PM
I always thought Stormtroopers were conscripts from worlds taken over by the Empire. Silly me, the Prequels have shown me just how wrong I've been. :rolleyes:

derek
10-06-2004, 09:40 PM
i always thought lightsabers didn't emit from the hand grip end.........but if you watch in slow motion vader throwing his saber at luke in ROTJ, it's emitting from the wrong end. lol

Rocketboy
10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Now that I look back I realize that some of things that I thought about the movies were way off such as my thinking that...Bib Fortuna was a man and not a women which I only came to realize a couple of years ago.Umm..what? Bib Fortuna is male.

I just remember how boring the Dagobah scenes were when I was little. Now, I see how important to the story the are.

JON9000
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I always thought the force was something anyone could learn to use if they had the time and discipline. Sorta like Kung-Fu. Now you need a high mitochondrian, oops, midichlorian count. Drats.

derek
10-06-2004, 11:41 PM
i thought carrie fisher would be hot forever and mark hamill would be a big movie star! lol

Kidhuman
10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Like Stillakid, I always thought stormtroopers were just an army of individuals that were in armor. No idea they were clones.

I thought that Ben would turn out ot be Lukes dad.

El Chuxter
10-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Let's see. . . .

I thought Stormtroopers were robots. I still refuse to believe at least part of them aren't conscripts, and Uncle George will have to come to my house and whonk me upside the head with a folding chair before I'll buy that they're all clones.

I thought Yoda trained Obi-Wan.

I thought Yoda was too old for 30 years to make a significant difference in his appearance.

I thought Vader was planning to freeze Luke for Boba Fett and got really confused in the bit where Luke leaps out of the freezing chamber. "Why didn't Han do that?"

I thought Jabba was an ally of Vader.

I thought the Royal Guards were robots, too.

I thought the hologram of Vader in the AT-AT was funny.

I thought Boba Fett was a member of the Mandalorean Supercommandos, which had been wiped out by the Jedi during the Clone Wars, and that he had a raspy voice and a bunch of braided Wookiee scalps.

I thought Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother.

Man, how wrong I was!

bobafett07728
10-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Hmmm. . . Lemme see here. . .

1. I thought Aunt Beru was Obi-Wan's sister, hence the attitude of Owen towards the mention of that "crazy old wizard"

2. I thought R2-D2 was an actual robot. There was no way you could convince me ther was an actor in there! Many of my friends still believe this to be true. If only they would come with me to a Convention and meet Mr. Kenny Baker, he's a great guy to chat with.

3. I thought Grand Moff Tarkin ruled the galaxy.

4. I thought Lak Sivrak was in the cantina talking to Dice Ibegon. . . :rolleyes:

5. I thought Sy Snootles was a damn good puppet, and she had a pretty good song, too. :rolleyes:

6. I thought the Ewoks could really get down when they celebrate. . . if I could only hear that song again. . . :rolleyes:

7. I thought there were Spirits of two old guys standing next to Yoda :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I thought Han blasted Greedo before he knew what hit him, and Bib Fortuna was a guy. . . oh wait. . . he still is :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I thought Bib Fortuna was a slightly feminine man. Look at those Twi'lek chicks, if they're all that hot, and then the ugly Bib Fortuna . . . something's wrong! :D

Slicker
10-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Umm..what? Bib Fortuna is male.That's what I meant it just typed out wrong. Bib is indeed a man, baby.

Slicker
10-07-2004, 04:45 PM
I myself also could've sworn that Anakin looked alot older when he died then his ghost did.;)

Kyle Katarn
10-08-2004, 12:45 AM
I thought Han was going to be killed.
I thought Stormtroopers were like individuals soldiers with a nice suit armor.
I thought Boba Fett wasn't human.
I thought Prince Xizor appeared in the movies.
I thought Leia was in love with Luke.
I thought Vader was going to survive and reconstruct his path of Jedi. :crazed:

mabudonicus
10-08-2004, 05:41 AM
I swear I recall the first time I saw the film there was a subtitled conversation (I could read, but not fast enough) between C3PO and the "Death Star Droid" in the sandcrawler... it was 2 years before I got to see it again and figured it had been cut out...

Like Chux, I believed the stormies were robots, silly as that seems in retrospect (oh and BTW my guess would be that something makes clones an unviable option, leading to conscription once the Empire exists "officially", conscripting an army may have met more resistance from people at the time the clone army was presented IMO... at least I hope that's what is going on)

I believed that Vader actually ran the show and was just humoring everyone else (until ROTJ....)

I thought the Ewoks weren't all that bad... ahh, youth

I kinda thought Yoda was totally neutral, and not a "good guy" like he actually is

.....and I believed that, at 200 MPH, Leia was the better pilot :beard:

Rocketboy
10-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I used to wonder (and still do) why the Stormtroopers ever bother to wear that armor.
Have you ever seen one take a shot and live?

Kyle Katarn
10-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I used to wonder (and still do) why the Stormtroopers ever bother to wear that armor.
Have you ever seen one take a shot and live?
Jajaja, that's funny... maybe it was too expensive to buy good armor for milions, the Empire maybe deicded that cloning was cheaper.

Devo
10-08-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm also 22 and only sometime in the past 2 of those years did it occur to me that in ROTJ the guy who says 'its over commander, the rebels have been routed and are fleeing into the woods' is Han in disguise.

Another one is I used to imagine hearing 'inform the commander that lord vaders shell has arrived' and wondered to myself "now why did he say that? What shell?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm also 22 and only sometime in the past 2 of those years did it occur to me that in ROTJ the guy who says 'its over commander, the rebels have been routed and are fleeing into the woods' is Han in disguise.

Another one is I used to imagine hearing 'inform the commander that lord vaders shell has arrived' and wondered to myself "now why did he say that? What shell?
I didn't even know it was Han until they made the figure of him . . . even though he's only wearing the helmet and gloves, no way could he change out of that costume so quickly.

When I was 7 and I heard that filming for Episode I had begun, I thought it was going to be Shadows of the Empire. I didn't know anything about that then.

I remember Padmé saying "I've been trained in defense, I can take care of myself" in the theaters but not on VHS/DVD. I also thought that Fode & Beed had said "No matter what universe" in the theaters and VHS but "galaxy" for the DVD, but it's "universe" all the time.

Kidhuman
10-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I remember Padmé saying "I've been trained in defense, I can take care of myself" in the theaters but not on VHS/DVD. I also thought that Fode & Beed had said "No matter what universe" in the theaters and VHS but "galaxy" for the DVD, but it's "universe" all the time.

Someone needs to get their hearing checked. :beard: :D

I didnt realise it was Han either until around 1995, and still wonder if he wore the whole outfit or just the helmet and gloves.

El Chuxter
10-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I believe the full outfit is a misconception by Hasbro. ;) There simply wouldn't be enough time to get dressed (especially since the figure doesn't appear to be wearing two sets of clothes), climb in the AT-ST, broadcast the message, climb back down, change clothes completely, and be in attack stance when the doors open very shortly after the broadcast.

If it's just the helmet and gloves, it cuts several minutes off this time.

2-1B
10-08-2004, 10:40 PM
As a kid I used to think that the featured gray-haired trooper on the Tantive IV was actually Han (right before the stormtroopers came in).

I dunno, I guess I was (still am) an idiot ? :D

Still, EVERY time I watch ANH I still think of that childhood memory and you know, it DOES kinda look like an old Harrison Ford. :crazed:

Darth Mina
10-08-2004, 10:48 PM
As a kid I used to think that the featured gray-haired trooper on the Tantive IV was actually Han (right before the stormtroopers came in).

Still, EVERY time I watch ANH I still think of that childhood memory and you know, it DOES kinda look like an old Harrison Ford. :crazed:
Same here I used to fight with my brother about him been Han also I thought that the Stormtroopers were actually robots :crazed: , well I was only five at the time :D

Kidhuman
10-08-2004, 10:50 PM

Dude, I forgot all about that guy. HE does look like Han. I thought it was him too

Rocketboy
10-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Me too!
Man, did everyone think he was Han?

2-1B
10-09-2004, 12:08 AM
I guess so. :D

tagmac
10-09-2004, 01:38 AM
My brother and I used to say the same thing when we were kids. It definitely looks like an older Han Solo.

Besides thinking that Greedo actually shot first, and the Sarlaac didn't have a beak :D , I did have a few other misconceptions as a kid. Back then, I always thought:

- the Stormtroopers were actually robots

- an Ugnaught shot Threepio on Bespin

- Luke's lightsaber was supposed to be yellow

- the Dagobah scenes were extremely boring, until I was old enough to actually understand it all

- when Boussh first walked in, that it was Lando

- the Dianoga let go of Luke because Han shot it, not because it sensed the walls were about to move

- Han and Luke squeezed into the gunner's seat of Zev's speeder to get back to base, forgetting there were two other snowspeeders in the search party

- that Stormtroopers were called Stormtroopers, and Snowtroopers were called "Imperial Stormtroopers," thanks to the wording on the figures. Never realized that they were simply Stormtroopers in cold-weather gear either

- that Wedge was killed in the Battle of Hoth right before Luke is hit (Zev's scream sounded more like Wedge to me)

- I didn't know the trooper in the Scout Walker who alerts the Imperial Officers was actually Han (and I, too think the figure is wrong, that he only wore the helmet and gloves)

- and here's one that maybe no one else ever noticed, but when Luke blows the carbonite into Vader's face, just as he swings and Vader blocks, I heard a sound in the backgroud that sounded exactly like Chewbacca whining when Han yells at him to "turn it off, turn it ooooff" earlier in the film.

Devo
10-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Me too!
Man, did everyone think he was Han?

I have to say no. Besides didn't that particular trooper die?

Slicker
10-09-2004, 12:31 PM
- an Ugnaught shot Threepio on Bespin.I always thought this too. The voice doesn't really sound like a stormtroopers so I naturally thought it was an ugnaught.

Devo
10-10-2004, 06:23 PM
That Bubo and the creature outside jabbas palace were one and the same.

That the engine section of the Medical frigate was the front. Wierd ship.

Knightfall
10-12-2004, 06:37 PM
After reading Tales from Jabba's Palace, I remember swearing that I had "found" Mara Jade/Arica among the denizens of Jabba's court. Obviously, she's not there, but maybe the Archive Edition will "fix" that:silly: .

I also thought that the featured trooper was Han, by the way. That makes six.

Ji'dai
10-14-2004, 08:46 PM
I always pronounced Tatooine as "Tattoo-neee" rather than "Tattoo-eeene." It was only in the last few years that I've made a conscious effort to correct that.

Yoda trained Ben Kenobi.

Ben Kenobi took it upon himself to train Anakin after discovering how strong he was with the Force.

I've always considered Stormtroopers to be human conscripts or even volunteers too. They are not clones, gawdammit. Han is not a clone either. He's Corellian, born and raised.

The Force was a mystical energy field that binds the galaxy together, not some mutant ability brought about by a symbiotic relationship between a host and some metachlorinated parasite.

I had also hoped that the Clone Wars was not about <I>real</I> clones. I had always wished that it was simply named for some obscure planet or battle. Cloning has never seemed Star Warsy to me. I figured the Clone Wars was fought between the Mandaloreans and the Jedi Knights.

Bobby Fett
10-14-2004, 11:10 PM
It's not really a misconception, but I remember that after ESB came out, the talk around the office was whether Vader was blowing smoke or telling the truth when he said he was Luke's father.

For some reason I never doubted he was telling the truth. I must be physic! :D

rbaumhauer
10-17-2004, 09:22 AM
The biggest misconception I had about "Star Wars", from the moment I first saw it in '77, was that the GFFA was a BIG place with a grand, sweeping history. It turns out that it's actually quite tiny, everybody seems to know or be connected to everybody else, the horrible Galactic Empire that has everybody's panties in such a twist lasted all of 20 years, and having the name Skywalker makes you the most special person around.

Turambar
10-20-2004, 08:18 PM
yeah, I thought all the helmeted imperial troops were robots.

I also thought for the longest time that 3po and r2 were REAL robots.

I thought that 3po and r2 were very old droids that had a long history together.

I thought that old men jedi didn't fight as fast as the younger ones as shown by ben vs vader, old vader vs luke, and even qui gon couldn't move with nearly the agility demonstrated by obi wan or maul. This idea was blown away when we find out that vader was only 40, and then we see an 85 year old Dooku out dueling two young jedi in their prime before getting even more jiggy with it against an 850 year old gnome who would barely be able to move 20 years later.

Finally, I thought that Anakin Skywalker was a great pilot, a cunning warrior, and a good friend of Ben Kenobi's.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Finally, I thought that Anakin Skywalker was a great pilot, a cunning warrior, and a good friend of Ben Kenobi's.
ROTS isn't out yet . . . but I'm fairly sure all of those things are in there.

tagmac
10-21-2004, 09:17 PM

The pilot issue was covered in TPM, and I think it's assumed that Anakin and Obi-Wan were good friends during the time between TPM and AOTC, regardless of Anakin's whining. As for the "cunning warrior" part, I think we saw a lot of that on Geonosis and Coruscant, as well as being implied by the "nest of gundarks" comment.

rbaumhauer
10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Nothing like giving Lucas credit for story elements he doesn't bother to show - why would we need to see the friendship between Obi-wan and Anakin? I know I enjoyed the "video game" sequence on Geonosis MUCH more than any of that icky character-development stuff..................

stillakid
10-22-2004, 07:43 AM
The pilot issue was covered in TPM, and I think it's assumed that Anakin and Obi-Wan were good friends during the time between TPM and AOTC, regardless of Anakin's whining. As for the "cunning warrior" part, I think we saw a lot of that on Geonosis and Coruscant, as well as being implied by the "nest of gundarks" comment.

Right, except that Obi Wan never saw the piloting taking place...

the audience never sees them being good friends...

...and Anakin is anything but a "cunning warrior" as he dives headlong into battle with Dooku.

0 for 3. Nice writing, Lucas. :frus:

aceguide
10-22-2004, 07:52 AM
I always thought the Death Star II was made out of the wreckage of the first one.

Devo
10-22-2004, 08:00 AM

What rbaumhauer and stillakid said.

Devo
10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
I always thought the Death Star II was made out of the wreckage of the first one.

Actually thats something that kind of bothers me. Both Death stars seemed to explode entirely and completely without any debris.

Rocketboy
10-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Right, except that Obi Wan never saw the piloting taking place...Obi-wan never told Luke he witnessed Anakin pilot anything. I'm sure Obi-wan knew about the podrace and Anakin's flying above Naboo. Then (if you count it) there's the bit of flying he actually does witness in Clone Wars. We also have Episode III to probably see more.

the audience never sees them being good friends...You probably wouldn't say that Obi-wan is like a father to you or that you are truly grateful to be his apprentice if you're not close. Also, you don't struggle with the decision to stay put as the council tells you or defy them and go attempt to rescue help Obi-wan. And Episode III again.

...and Anakin is anything but a "cunning warrior" as he dives headlong into battle with Dooku.Yet again, something we still may see in Episode III.

Devo
10-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Obi-wan never told Luke he witnessed Anakin pilot anything. I'm sure Obi-wan knew about the podrace and Anakin's flying above Naboo. Then (if you count it) there's the bit of flying he actually does witness in Clone Wars. We also have Episode III to probably see more.

You probably wouldn't say that Obi-wan is like a father to you or that you are truly grateful to be his apprentice if you're not close. Also, you don't struggle with the decision to stay put as the council tells you or defy them and go attempt to rescue help Obi-wan. And Episode III again.

Yet again, something we still may see in Episode III.

I don't think theres time enough in Episode III to 'show'* their friendship since in the same film they have to become enemies. So far we have been 'shown'* very little to warrant Obi-wan holding Anakin in regard as 'a good friend' and I fear it is now too late. Perhaps if Episode I hadn't totally disregarded the Obi/Anakin relationship things would have worked out better and our prior conceptions based on what we were told in Episode IV would have been accurate.

*'show' as opposed to making referances

Slicker
10-23-2004, 01:03 PM
And also remember in ESB we were told that Yoda trained Obi-Wan but never shown it in the Prequels. Yet another continuity issue.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2004, 03:18 PM
And also remember in ESB we were told that Yoda trained Obi-Wan but never shown it in the Prequels. Yet another continuity issue.
I know it hasn't been shown, but it can kind of be inferred from the younglings scene - Yoda trains the Jedi until they are taken as Padawans by other Jedi. Also, Obi-Wan said "But master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future" in TPM, which means that he's still under the guidance of Yoda. Yoda taught Obi-Wan, like nearly every other Jedi, but he was Qui-Gon's padawan. Even in AOTC, he was still under the guidance of Yoda, when he himself had become a Jedi Knight. So it's not really a continuity error.

Kidhuman
10-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Good answer JAbbaJOhnL. I always thought along the saem lines. It seems Yoda teaches the younglings and then when they are ready for the 1 on 1, they become padawans. All Jedis masters, Jedi Knights and such are always under the guidance of the council as well.

rbaumhauer
10-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry, but for it not to seem like a continuity error (or another of George's revisions), Obi-wan should have said "one of the Jedi Masters who instructed me" or "a Jedi Master who instructed me" or somesuch. By saying "THE Jedi Master who instructed me", the implication is that he was the only one who taught Obi-wan.

I think it's just another one of those things that Lucas hadn't really thought about too hard back in the day, and when he finally got around to fleshing it out for the PT, he did it in a way that seems to disagree with previous statements, and (not surprisingly) for no really good reason that is apparent to anybody but George.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Sorry, but for it not to seem like a continuity error (or another of George's revisions), Obi-wan should have said "one of the Jedi Masters who instructed me" or "a Jedi Master who instructed me" or somesuch. By saying "THE Jedi Master who instructed me", the implication is that he was the only one who taught Obi-wan.

I think it's just another one of those things that Lucas hadn't really thought about too hard back in the day, and when he finally got around to fleshing it out for the PT, he did it in a way that seems to disagree with previous statements, and (not surprisingly) for no really good reason that is apparent to anybody but George.
Just for you, the 2007 DVD version transcript of that scene:
BEN: Luke.
LUKE: Ben!
BEN: You must go to the Dagobah system.
LUKE: Dagobah system . . .
BEN: There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me. Well, you know, he didn't really instruct me, Qui-Gon Jinn did. But there was a Jedi Council with twelve members, you see, and . . .
Luke dies.
;) :D

Darkross
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
My misconceptions were:

- That Luke's lightsaber was actually blue in ANH, blue in ESB, and green in ROTJ.
- That Stormtroopers were robots.
- That the diagona was shot by Han and thus the reason why it let go of Luke.
- That Han shot Greedo first.
- That R2D2 was a remote controlled robot...never knew it was a person inside.
- That Boba Fett's voice didn't sound at all like Jango Fett.
- That the Imperial Shuttle was introduced in ROTJ.
- That Luke and Leia would end-up together.
- That Vader said "Bring my Shuttle" after his battle with Luke on Bespin.
- That Luke said eona...(instead of Yoda) when Han put him in the Tauntaun's belly.
- That Han said "I'm glad the Empire knows we're here"

Darkross
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM

When I saw ROTJ...the first thing I thought of WHAT???...didn't the DeathStar get destroyed?...or maybe it was only mostly destroyed...what can I say...I was only 10 and saw SW when I was 4.

Darkross
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM

True...but the fact of the matter is at the time that Obi-Wan says that to Luke...there is only one Jedi left (i.e. Yoda)...which makes Obi-Wan's statement entirely true and would imply that he is THE only Jedi Master that Luke needs to be concerned with. On the other hand...Obi-Wan could have said..."you will channel Qui-Gon Ginn...the Jedi Master who instructed me!"

Rocketboy
11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
I remember believing Star Wars fans actually liked the movies.

Boy, was I waaaaaaaaay off.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-26-2004, 08:07 PM
When I saw ROTJ...the first thing I thought of WHAT???...didn't the DeathStar get destroyed?...or maybe it was only mostly destroyed...what can I say...I was only 10 and saw SW when I was 4.

I may have been thinking "not ANOTHER Death Star." Of course I knew it was a different one, since the opening crawl said they built a new one.

Regarding R2 being remote controlled, my misconception was in the other direction. I thought Kenny Baker was always in R2. His name was in the credits and I probably saw him on one of those making of specials. However, they did use a remote control R2 as well.

I thought Splinter of the Mind's Eye was going to be the second movie.

I remember an issue of Dynamite magazine where readers had written in about whether they though Darth Vader was Luke's father. I wasn't sure one way or the other, but it seems the arguments against were pretty lame. The arguments for actually cited clues from the movies.

I'm not sure if I really had too many misconceptions. Just lots of things I didn't really notice since I didn't have the opportunity to watch it over and over. Even now, I always seem to focus on the same things rather than trying to find stuff in the background or watch in slow motion.

stillakid
11-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Wow, Posty, you made me remember something from way back when. Yeah, Dynamite Magazine :eek: ,but something else too.

I remember when the Radio Drama was about to air on NPR for the first time. I thought that it was going to be the rest of the saga, all 9 episodes. I couldn't figure out why it would take 13 to tell it in, but I chalked it up to radio or something.

I wasn't too disappointed when I realized what it really was. It was entertaining anyway. :)

scruffziller
12-07-2004, 03:57 AM
For me of course, thinking the Stormies were robots AND thought Han and Luke dismantled them and somehow was able to form clothing out of the exterior to pose as one of them.:D

When Vader said "No, I am your father." Of course, I denied it like Lucas said on the DVD commentary that most pyscologists said I would. The thought in my mind why Vader said it was that "He just wanted to get him."lol Ah the mind of a child.:)

Plus until I watched ROTJ DVD with commentary I never realized that the spire that we saw sticking out of the Death Star II was where the Empy's throne room was. I thought it was just something that was part of the Death Star that wasn't finished yet or some kind of thing used in the construction. I always thought that throne room was in another room on the side of the completed part of the DSII so they could watch the battle. Was that spire on the very top of the DSII at the pole if you will?

Slicker
12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
That's one that I myself just figured out with the DVD release. I don't why I never noticed it before.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Let's see. . . .

I thought Stormtroopers were robots.

Me too! And I don't believe they are clones (What prequels??).

Rocketboy
12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
I remember thinking that Artoo really played the wrong message at Jabba's, like Threepio said.