PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years of Hip Hop

scruffziller
10-08-2004, 11:49 AM
This has to be one of the most mind blowing, extensive, detailed documentaries of the history. I have always saturated myself in the knowledge of the artists, the styles and places that hip hop has provided because it is such a large part of my life. I would say I am a thourough historian in this genre of music because of my passion for it. I was delighted to learn things I had never known before and being able to see things I have known in a different light. I had always thought it was Kool Herc that invented scratching but it in fact was not, it was Grandwizard Theodore. I always thought that Public Enemy was the first group to do political rap, not so. KRS-One was doing it just a few years before, but PE took it too another level.

El Chuxter
10-08-2004, 12:09 PM
I saw part of this last night. I've not listened to rap for years, since a lot of the newer stuff to me seems to be spinning the wheels that were invented fifteen and twenty years ago. (That makes me feel really old.) But this reminded me of how good that "old school" stuff is. I had to pull out all my old Run DMC and NWA and Dre and Ice Cube and (pre-Doggfather) Snoop and BIG and House of Pain and Cypress Hill (and even DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince :D) and remind myself of why I used to listen to those over and over and over. Someone stole my Tupac CDs a few years ago, and I never bothered to replace them, but I may have to do that soon.

What I saw was a really well-done documentary (better than most on VH1), and I'd like to catch it in its entirety.

Prior to last night, I never realized that Biggie and Tupac were close friends before the rivalry started up, nor did I know the reasons behind it. It's pretty sad, really. I think both of them have been (like Cobain and Morrison) a bit overrated by posterity, but they're still two of the best and it's a real shame that things happened as they did.

Kidhuman
10-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Damn 30 years already. I thought it was about 25, but noit thirty. I missed this show, but if it was on VH1, it will be shown about 60 million more times by years end.

Chux....is there any music you dont listen to?