PDA

View Full Version : Your all-time favorite SW scene.

Slicker
10-08-2004, 01:05 PM
With all of the threads about what you don't like about the SW Saga I thought I'd try and bring out the good in the movies by asking what you do like about them. Almost everyone has a favorite part or scene(s) from all of the movies and I personally would like to read what they are.

My favorite is only about 3 seconds long and happens in Empire. During the Battle of Hoth right after Gen. Veers asks the distance to the power generator and gets the answer "1-7 decimal 2-8" a snowspeeder comes in at the AT-AT he's commanding and the AT-AT kicks out it's rear leg and rocks back on it and fires the side guns of the cockpit and takes out the speeder. For some reason this has always been my favorite scene because of how such a big machine can do such a precise move to get a better footing. It's by no stretch a main scene in the movie but it's the little things like that that make the SW movies great to watch.

I couldn't find an all encompassing SW movie section so I put it in the Classic Trilogy section but that by no means restricts you from having a favorite TPM or AOTC scene to write about.

Kidhuman
10-08-2004, 01:15 PM
That is a good scene, I wish they could do that in Battlefront.

I love the entire Hoth Battle. I love the AT-AT's. I also dig the fight at Carkoon. Especially when Crumb is poking out 3PO's eye.(That needs a figure made of him)

Droid
10-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I'll go with the "I am your father" scene.

Devo
10-08-2004, 02:39 PM
My favourite bits are often accompanied by a particular piece of John williams scoring that I love. What first comes to mind is in ESB when the Falcon is flying away from cloud city and Luke calls out to Leia. The force theme builds up while Leia persuades chewie to turn the ship around and Lando protests only to be barked down by chewie. Then I love the shot of the Falcon flying under a cloud and pulling up to fly back over it towards camera.

Oh and then soon after, Lando's confusion at the hyperdrive failure "they told me they fixed it...I trusted them to fix it! Its not my fault!" Then chewie shoving past him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Hmm . . . I like so much of it, it's hard to pick just one. From each movie, though:
*Theed Hangar Duel
*Geonosis Arena/Hangar Duel
*Death Star Trench Run ("Yahoo!")
*"I am your father"
*Endor Celebration

stillakid
10-08-2004, 06:26 PM
I love that AT AT move as well. It's those little things that add up to a lot. :D

I think my favorite moment in a Star Wars movie is when Vader is looking back and forth from Electrified Luke to Demonic Emperor in ROTJ. As if by magic, somehow through lighting, camera angle, and Prowse's acting, you really get the sense of his angst. No facial expressions required and they still pull it off. The same kind of moment occurs on the Endor gantry right after Luke is taken away. Vader takes a moment to stand alone, thinking about everything. I'm continually blown away by those non-dialogue shots where a million thoughts are expressed. That's quality filmmaking!

Darth Mina
10-08-2004, 10:18 PM
The whole geonisis Action sequence, i love the introduction of the clone army in such a kick @$$ fashion. love the part when the jedi are getting into the ships and a clone geys in front of the camera shoting his rifle

Rocketboy
10-08-2004, 11:20 PM
I think my favorite moment in a Star Wars movie is when Vader is looking back and forth from Electrified Luke to Demonic Emperor in ROTJ.
I cannot stand that scene for one reason: the disappearing / reappearing fingerprints on Vader's helmet! It's one of those things that once you see it, you see it every time.

Rocketboy
10-08-2004, 11:30 PM
So many scenes...how about one from each movie?
1 - Obi-wan & Qui-Gon vs. Maul. It was the lightsaber fight we waited 16 years for.
2 - Obi-Wan vs. Jango. What a down and dirty fight...considering it's in the rain. (2nd choice: Anakin getting ticked and slaughtering the Tuskens)
4 - The opening scene up to Vader's entrance. What a way to start a saga! (2nd choice: The Cantina)
5 - Vader vs. Luke. Ending in the ultimate shocker. (2nd choice: "I Know.")
6 - Vader vs. Luke Round 2. When Luke cuts of Vader's hand then looks at his own robotic hand and realizes he's about to become his father.

stillakid
10-09-2004, 12:10 AM
I cannot stand that scene for one reason: the disappearing / reappearing fingerprints on Vader's helmet! It's one of those things that once you see it, you see it every time.

Damn. Now that's ALL I'll notice next time... :frus:

;) ... or not. I think I can live with it being that the point of the scene is much more powerful than any minor technical glitches that might be there.

I also have always loved the moment on Bespin when Vader holds Fett back while Chewy is having his tantrum. Very telling moment regarding Vader there. In fact, I think that it is one moment that we haven't really ever discussed as to what it says about what else might be going on under that mask... hmm :neutral:

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 12:36 AM
I also have always loved the moment on Bespin when Vader holds Fett back while Chewy is having his tantrum. Very telling moment regarding Vader there. In fact, I think that it is one moment that we haven't really ever discussed as to what it says about what else might be going on under that mask... hmm :neutral:
I think it pretty obvious what's going on...Vader was saving his droid! :D

tagmac
10-09-2004, 02:44 AM
ANH: "Stop that ship - BLAST HIM!"........"Chewie get us outta' here!"

ESB: The scene where the Falcon is first being chased by the Star Destroyer. Love the way the music changes perfectly to the Imperial March, and we get to see just what kind of character/pilot Han is.

ROTJ: Tie between the Sarlaac battle and the final space battle.

TPM: Obi-Wan vs. Maul, one-on-one

AOTC: Anakin loses it and offs the Tuskens

Honorable mention: that scene where Han Solo says "Get off my plane!"

.....oops, wrong movie. :D

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Just thought of another great, yet short, scene. In Jedi when the Falcon flies through the swarm of TIEs. The 80's model effects look tons better than the similar CG shot in Episode I.

Slicker
10-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Just thought of another great, yet short, scene. In Jedi when the Falcon flies through the swarm of TIEs. The 80's model effects look tons better than the similar CG shot in Episode I.That scene runs a close second with me. And I've said it before but the models in Jedi look tons better then any CG ships from the prequels.

dr_evazan22
10-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Oh and then soon after, Lando's confusion at the hyperdrive failure "they told me they fixed it...I trusted them to fix it! Its not my fault!" Then chewie shoving past him.

One of the things I like about that is that Lando echoes the same words that Han used: "It's not my fault!".

It's tough to pick favorites and I don't really want to repeat what others have already said, but for me, just about any scene with 3PO in the second half of ESB. Great comedic lines and delivery by him and the others... "Not entirely stable?! I'm glad your here to tell us these things! Take the professor in the back....", "... Afterall, he's only a wookiee!".

Devo
10-09-2004, 03:19 PM
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookie" - "I can arrange that"

Sorry if I'm making this a 'favourite star wars quotes' thread but I usually find a way to say at least one of the Emperors lines every day. "Only now, at the end, do you understand' , 'fire at will commander', 'oh I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive', and 'Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete". And I love the way he says 'complete'.

scruffziller
10-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I love that AT AT move as well. It's those little things that add up to a lot. :D

I think my favorite moment in a Star Wars movie is when Vader is looking back and forth from Electrified Luke to Demonic Emperor in ROTJ. As if by magic, somehow through lighting, camera angle, and Prowse's acting, you really get the sense of his angst. No facial expressions required and they still pull it off. The same kind of moment occurs on the Endor gantry right after Luke is taken away. Vader takes a moment to stand alone, thinking about everything. I'm continually blown away by those non-dialogue shots where a million thoughts are expressed. That's quality filmmaking!
Amen to that brother, you described how I felt about those scenes to a tee.

I would have to say my all time favorite is Yoda's speech to Luke as he is dying. I get misty eyed everytime I watch it.:zzz:

stillakid
10-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Mentioning Yoda, you reminded me of my 2nd favorite moment in the Saga. It's Yoda's eloquent explanation to Luke about the Force right after Luke fails to raise the Xwing from the bog. The wonderful script (by Lawrence Kasdan) combined with a swelling soundtrack (John Williams) and performed subtly by Frank Oz creates what possibly is the most beautiful sequence in any of the films. Then, instead of just fading off into the background, the scene ends with a zinger as Luke exclaims, "I...I don't believe it" and Yoda responds, "That...is why you fail." Damn. It's poignant concise writing and execution that makes for a really great story and this scene is one of the few that really shines as an example of how to do it right.

Where, praytell, are those kind of moments in any of the Prequel movies so far? :(

scruffziller
10-10-2004, 08:23 AM
It's poignant concise writing and execution that makes for a really great story and this scene is one of the few that really shines as an example of how to do it right.

Where, praytell, are those kind of moments in any of the Prequel movies so far? :(Yea, no doubt.:)

Devo
10-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Another moment where much is expressed without any dialogue is Han and Lukes last exchange at echo base in ESB. No doubt this scene, if redone, would then contain the line 'seeing you alive brings warm feelings to my heart' somewhere.

Then the part where Han shows his reluctance to give 3P0 credit for finding a problem with the Falcon -

'here...and chewie (glances back at 3P0) I think we better replace the negative power flux coupling'

aceguide
10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
The shot of the Falcon doing the back loop into the "cave" in the asteroids.

ESB has the best Falcon footage of all three.

Pendo
10-11-2004, 01:27 PM
In ROTJ after Luke has defeated his father and Emperor Palpatine tries opnce more to turn Luke. Luke throws down his saber and refuses to give in. "Never, I'll never turn to the dark side. You have failed your highness, I am a Jedi like my father before me!"

:D

PENDO!

vader121
10-11-2004, 02:00 PM
ANH: When Vader walks through the door into the Blockade Runner. really sets the tone for the movie as Vader being a menacing, feared figure.

ESB: Hoth battle rules. Saber duel between Luke and Vader is the best of the first 3 movies.

ROTJ: Emperor's Arrival scene is awesome. Also Sarlacc pit battle and Final space battle

PM: Battle between Droids and Gungans setup. The battle stinks but the setup is cool.

AOTC: Geonosis Arena battle. Also the Yoda vs Dooku saber duel is by far the funniest scene of all the movies. Not meant to be funny but is because of Yoda's awesome fighting skills.

Devo
10-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Anything that takes place at echo base actually. I love the echo base sets, the detail is amazing which is why I particularly love when Hasbro makes echo base figures and droids. More please Hasbro, R5-M2, deck officer, Derlin, Torryn, Hood down Han Hoth, power droids, snowspeeder pilots, that troop transport vehicle.

And everytime Vader is seen at echo base its punctuated by particularly powerful Imperial march scoring. Just brilliant.

The Falcon's escape from the base is a sequence that has loads of great lines 'would it help if I got out and pushed?.....it might' , 'captain solo, captain solo.....it can wait', 'some day you're going to be wrong and I just hope I'm there to see it' - and superb scoring too. Then Vader enters the hangar just on time to see the Falcon power away.

Empire Strikes Back quite simply 'rules all'.

DarthChuckMc
10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
ANH: "There's Banthas down there, but I don't see any...wait, I can see one of them now." (enter pop-up Tusken Raider)

TESB: Han putting his hand over 3PO's mouth while talking to the Deck Officer about Luke not checking in. 3PO's reaction (arms going limp) is PRICELESS.

ROTJ: The Vader "thinking" shot, after the Stormtroopers drag Luke away.

TPM: During the DUEL, Maul does a backflip, and Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon jump at him. The quick side to side look Maul gives before he clashes sabers with them is sweet.

AOTC: Yoda opening his robe and Force pulling his saber to his hand.

ROTS: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say THE DUEL. :D

Bobby Fett
10-12-2004, 07:26 PM
One of my favorites is the dining room scene on Bespin. I like the way Vader nonchalantly deflects Han's blaster shots, as if to say, "You're totally irrelevant."

Devo
10-12-2004, 08:27 PM
One of my favorites is the dining room scene on Bespin. I like the way Vader nonchalantly deflects Han's blaster shots, as if to say, "You're totally irrelevant."

I'd love to know what they talked about in that dining room. What would Han say to Vader, and Vader to him? There never was any dialogue between Han and the key star wars villains. Likewise, after ANH, Leia never had a dialogue scene with vader.

Bobby Fett
10-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Another favorite is the "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." scene.

aceguide
10-19-2004, 09:37 AM

Agreed on this scene being clutch. I love how there is no hesitation from Han - draws and shoots. First. Something he's done before... :ermm:

Droid
10-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Agreed on this scene being clutch. I love how there is no hesitation from Han - draws and shoots. First. Something he's done before... :ermm:

You know, I never thought about that before! Doesn't this make Han look like a MURDERER? Lucas has some reediting to do. I can see it now. VADER FIRES FIRST. I'm sure it is what Lucas always intended, it has just been poorly edited up until now.

stillakid
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
You know, I never thought about that before! Doesn't this make Han look like a MURDERER? Lucas has some reediting to do. I can see it now. VADER FIRES FIRST. I'm sure it is what Lucas always intended, it has just been poorly edited up until now.

Yeah, me too! I think you guys are right about that. Somebody get Lucas on the phone! :frus:

rbaumhauer
10-19-2004, 04:31 PM
In common with a few others, I love that little "hipshot" from the AT-AT in ESB. However, I'd have to say that everything from the evacuation of Echo Base until the Falcon takes refuge in the asteroid is my favorite sequence of the whole Saga.

I can listen to those two tracks on the SE soundtrack (IIRC, "Battle of Hoth" and "The Asteroid Field") over and over and over - absolutely fantastic score, great visuals, great scripting - everything a great action movie should be, but so rarely is.

Rocketboy
10-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Maybe Han was only going to threaten Vader with his blaster and when Vader started pulling the blaster away with the Force it caused the Han's finger to sqeeze the trigger.

Or whatever...
:)

Turambar
10-20-2004, 09:04 PM
LOL! I love that about Han firing first! Again, GL forgot to watch the entire trilogy before screwing with it.

But, back to the thread. It looks like we're talking about favorite scenes AND favorite special effects shots. Yeah, that AT-AT shot was a great one.
I'll just mention three of my favorite scenes, though:

I've mentioned this before, but the binary sunset is just beautiful to me. The combination of the music with the longing look of Luke into a sunset that is totally alien to the audience. I've always thought it was very magical as we can see that this farm boy is yearning for some adventure although he doesn't even understand how dangerous the universe can be. I've always felt it was the beginning of Luke Skywalker's adventures.

Also, in ANH, the first time Luke handles the lightsaber in Ben's hut. In that scene, the audience experiences simultaneously with Luke what a lightsaber is. We share the same awe that Luke does as he gets a feel for it. Watching the movies chronologically would, of course, destroy that magic since by the time we struggle through AOTC we are sick of seeing lightsabers. I guess GL thought they were so cool he'd overload us with them cheapening their appearance on screen.

Finally, in ROTJ, the Vader's funeral pyre scene. Unfortunately, this one was changed in the SE, so it will forever be lost for future audiences. But, I always felt this one was the conclusion to the binary sunset and Lukes' adventures. The music was similar, however, we no longer see the green farm boy, but instead, a wisened, hardened Jedi in his place realizing that this adventure is over.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Can't believe I missed this one before. :shovel:

I'll take the "I smiled" or "I cheered" or "I was emotionally touched" approach to my faves.

- Ben becoming one with the Force. I, too, wanted to yell "NO!" like Luke. And the music was timed perfectly.

- Luke at Vader's funeral pyre. Glad to hear that this scene was added in. It wouldn't have been the same ending to ROJ without it.

- When the Ugnaughts let frozen Han fall. Kind of like Ben's death mentioned before.

- Yoda's "you will be" line. Creepy, and nothing like the impish giggling he showed previously. Luke, take all this seriously, or bad stuff's gonna happen...

- Alderaan's explosion. The Empire is truly evil, heartless.

- Luke on the Cloud City weather vane, just after reaching for the closing panel. You want to say "tough luck, dude; you make some bad choices," but you also want him to get the help for which he's so desperate.

- Han runnign down the Death Star corridor. Fun, and funny.

DarthQuack
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Golden Shovel indeed.....

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Old'd!

I am not sure if this is my favorite scene, but Luke on the gangplank of the skiff, that scene still blows me away, especially the lightsaber catch.

Favorite SE scene:
Falcon lifting off from Mos Eisley, I audibly yelled "YEEEEAHHHH!!!" when that happened.

indyjones1981
04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
One of my favorite scenes is in the ESB when Lando, Han, Chewbacca and Leia are going to dinner and the door opens and Han fires off a few quick laser blasts at Darth Vader who deflects them and uses the force to take Solos gun. Cool!