PDA

View Full Version : Just how do we voice our opinions to Hasbro??

Darth Evil
12-26-2001, 01:16 PM
Well? I could beg them to give us a new EU line :D .

Jargo
12-26-2001, 03:52 PM
Just keep talking. Apparently Hasbro representatives walk among us........

At least, that's what I've heard. :D

bigbarada
12-26-2001, 05:45 PM
If you go to the POTJ section you'll find the actual designer of 300th Fett commenting on his figure and DX Amanaman. So I guess our message is being heard loud and clear.

However, Hasbro is still a company that must be profitable to stay in business. So if we, the fans, are so clearly divided on an issue such as EU then I can see how the marketing people at Hasbro would get nervous.

Personally I have no interest in EU figures of any kind, and I don't like the idea of them being made when there are still so many Cantina patrons and Jabba's henchmen (not to mention Jabba himself) yet to be done. Sorry, but I can't offer my support on the EU matter.

sith_killer_99
12-26-2001, 09:50 PM
JABBA???!!!???!!!

How many Jabbas do we need?

Vintage Jabba
Han Solo and Jabba
Jabba Glob
Jabba and 2-headed announcer

We still need soooo many of the original vintage figures to be updated.

Imperial Dignitary?
General Madine?

If Hasbro couldn't get him right the last 3 times what makes anyone think they can do it now?

The last thing I want is yet ANOTHER Jabba da Hutt!!!

Sorry if I went off a little, but I just read the recap over at rebelscum.com and I just don't see the fascination with a giant slug.:frus:

Although I would love to see some new EU figs. :D hehehehe.

GNT
12-26-2001, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
How many Jabbas do we need?

We need a new updated POTJ Return Of The Jedi Jabba with a totally new sculpt and a few pack ins to boot! Its to bad they cant realscan him,since the mighty slug is no more :(

Plus we need human Jabba as well :)

bigbarada
12-26-2001, 11:34 PM
The ANH:SE Jabba was pure crap. As was the Jabba Glob; but worst of all was the "spitting" Jabba that came with Fode and Beed. Horrid!

We have never had an update of the ROTJ Jabba and we desperately need him. Personally I like the big hunks of plastic figures, as they seem more substantial than the featherweight figures we've seen recently (Bespin Leia, DX Leia, Luke X-Wing, Duro).

I'm just hoping that Hasbro takes a hint from the last three fan choice polls and realizes that most of us want the obscure background aliens above all else.

Obi-Don
12-27-2001, 08:25 AM
I think that the Jabba with Han was good.

Lets face it.We all want all the figures in the story.I know I do. I read the EU a lot and I for one really do want more EU figures and hope that they make a EU line.

stillakid
12-27-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
If you go to the POTJ section you'll find the actual designer of 300th Fett commenting on his figure and DX Amanaman. So I guess our message is being heard loud and clear.

However, Hasbro is still a company that must be profitable to stay in business. So if we, the fans, are so clearly divided on an issue such as EU then I can see how the marketing people at Hasbro would get nervous.

Personally I have no interest in EU figures of any kind, and I don't like the idea of them being made when there are still so many Cantina patrons and Jabba's henchmen (not to mention Jabba himself) yet to be done. Sorry, but I can't offer my support on the EU matter.

I'm with you there.

Darth Evil
12-27-2001, 02:14 PM
But still, there are so many potential EU figures, Corran, Mirax, Isard, C'baoth, Pelleaon, etc. Many are very popular. Notice how I never fail to mention Corran ;) .

SirSteve
12-27-2001, 03:19 PM
I have gotten word from Hasbro that "officially" they (PR people) cannot reply, they wanted me to let you know that they are still looking over this section.

:)

JEDIpartner
12-27-2001, 04:07 PM
Good!!!

I hope they read our anger over the crap statue legs they are putting on their upcoming figures! :frus:

JediCole
12-27-2001, 05:13 PM
As far as an EU line is concerned, I have little to no use for such a line or figures. That's just me personally. I am of the opinion that if it didn't appear on the screen (and that is BIG SCREEN mind you), it NEVER HAPPENED! I tried to make the point in the past that those who want EU figures can rattle off names from Heir to the Empire to whatever the last EU title and/or comic, but have no knowledge of the EU characters that existed before the term "Expanded Universe" was coined. There has been an "Expanded Universe" since late 1977 (Marvel Comics and the newspaper dailies). Why does no one ever mention these guys? Anyway, it appears that there is some moderate interest in EU-esque characters if recent Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon incarnations are any indication. However, my personal stance on EU is the same as with those figures. Every one of those that creeps into a release or wave represents one fewer Episode I, IV, V, or VI character that gets the 3.75" treatment. I would far rather have a Paploo or General Madine than some EU character I've never heard of and care nothing about. If we get (on average) two to six figures per release, the presence of EU figures of any kind reduce that number to between one and five figures (that non EU collectors want).

Wolfwood319
12-27-2001, 06:44 PM
I'm with Jedicole, stillakid, and bigbarada. I personally have no interest in an EU line, or EU figures in general. I don't like the Maul Sith apprentice, or the qui-gon training, or any other EU figure they've had in the POTJ line. I haven't bought any of them, and I won't buy any new ones either.

I think with the shrinking market for SW, the last thing Hasbro wants to do is shrink it even more by catering to those who want EU figures. Most people I've talked to don't want EU figures and would much rather have figures from the films. If Hasbro does come out with an EU line, I don't see it selling very well.

And we do need an accurate ROTJ Jabba, w/ dais, sal or bubo, pipe and bowl, and maybe even a jawa with a big fern fan thing.

I'd definately pay $30 for that.

Darth Evil
12-28-2001, 04:47 PM
I don't think Sith Apprentice Maul was EU, wasn't he based on the concept drawings? Okay, Hasbro don't have to bring out a whole new EU line, just a few in an upcoming wave, anything to get a Corran Horn Jedi Knight :crazed: .

sith_killer_99
12-28-2001, 05:45 PM
Jedicole, don't forget about the radio drama. ;)

Is that EU?:D The truth is that the other stuff gets mentioned soooo much because it has a larger popular following. Though I would certainly never bang on anyone who asked for figures based on the old Marvel Comics.

I would be happy with a seperate line of EU figs, APART from the current line. But, I know it's just wishful thinking.:frus:

The truth is if Hasbro cranked out 20 new figs a month we would be asking for stuff we don't have.:crazed:

BTW, thank you Hasbro for my Talon Kaard figure...oops I mean Qui-Gon Jedi Training Gear.:D :D :D

Jargo
12-28-2001, 06:30 PM
I remember the old marvel comics got syndicated as a strip in a sunday magazine over here in the UK round about Jedi release time. I have a recollection of Luke doing some mean jedi stuff on Mon caklamari where we were introduced to the Mon Calamari species and their world. The Millenium falcon crashed or hid underwater or something. Anyway, the Imperials had a mean machine they used to crash through the swamps and jungle. There were loads of cool Mon Cal folk floating around and I really wanted a load of Mon Cal figures when I was younger. Loads of fish head guys.
I'd go for the comics that came out way back being turned into an action figure line. I'd go for some of Dark Horses current characters being immortalised. What I don't want to see id the awful characters from the books that make nonsense of star wars. The stuff hardcore EU fans cling to like it's some kind of bible or the Qur'an.
I quite liked the early X-wing Rogue Squadron comics, Vrip Dllr or whatever the heck his name was, Tycho Celchu. But I wouldn't neccesarily want figures of those.
Dark Horse offers the best artwork to design a figure from but even that fails sometimes. Look at the latest incarnation of Maul. I've never seen such indifference greeting a figure before. Surely the biggest pegwarmer since chocobi-wan?
I suppose the point is with the EU that there is so much to choose from it would be impossible to please anyone but a few fans of a particular character. There's reallt no point in Hasbro flogging themselves to death trying to please when they wouldn't be able to. So there will probably never be a true EU line until the film cannon characters have been mined dry.

GNT
12-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Most people I've talked to don't want EU figures and would much rather have figures from the films.

Then the people your talking too must not read any Star Wars novels/books then?

The people you talk too believe that "if it didn't appear on the screen,It never happened" people,those guys (not saying everyone) wouldn't read any novel and would say they didn't want figures of them!

Obi-Don
12-29-2001, 09:37 AM
The reason I read the books is I want more of the Star Wars story.The books follow in order,so its like the story goes on.If you read the books. You would find that there are many characters that are very interesting and would want them as a figure. To me if you only go with the movies you cut the story off and at the end of ROTJ would be the end all together. The Star Wars Universe is so big and so much can go on that surely there can be more to it than whats on film.Thats why I like the books.I want the story to go on and not end.I want to know more about the other stuff and how Luke rebuilds the Order and how he handles other trouble that comes along.

Rollo Tomassi
12-29-2001, 12:59 PM
And I think the novels and other EU ADD to the films. Some of the most profound moments I get from the movies are because I read some little EU story that delves into that scene. When Han and Chewie show up at the end of ANH and save Luke from Vader. There's a great short story where Chewie gets supremely ticked at Han for leaving and they have a vicious argument and you get the sense of how close Han was to just leaving. It makes his return in the film that much more powerful to me and I never would have gotten that from just watching the movie.

Plus, how much of the movies are EU. what is Samuel Jackson's character's name? What are the furry creatures on Endor called? All of these background characters? Locations? All of this is EU. Momaw Nadon? EU. Ponda baba? EU. Eeth Koth is a battle stance is EU cause that never happened in the movie. Any Jedi Council with a lightsaber is EU. You'd be suprised how much information you get from the movie, you actually had to read in some supplemental DK guide to Star Wars. And that my friend, is Expanded Universe.

So bring on the Corran Horn figgies!

Wolfwood319
12-29-2001, 04:03 PM
I've read about a dozen or so SW novels and some of the DH comics. Other than the Zahn novels, I don't like any of it. That's my opinion. As for characters in the movies like Momaw and the ewoks. They may have had stories about them in EU, but they still appear in the movies.

I have no problem with people liking EU and wanting figures for characters in the EU. I don't like the EU stories (mostly) and I don't want figures of any of them. And if they come out with EU figures or an EU line, I won't buy any of them.

And as for the people I talk to who don't want any EU product, have read some SW EU, whether they feel that if "it didn't happen in the movie, then it didn't happen" I don't know. But the general consensus I've read/heard is that people want figures from the movies, and don't want figures from EU.

On a lighter side, now that we've got an all new, kick @$$ Amanaman (rubbery accesories aside) its time for Hasbro to give us a kick @$$ deluxe ROTJ Jabba, complete with at least what the vintage one had, if not more.

Jargo
12-29-2001, 04:04 PM
Yes but the difference being that the characters from books by stackpole or whoever are really badly drawn and have names that smack of a lack of imagination. They mostly sound like bad 1950's B movie characters. I've tried and tried to read EU books but every time I have to throw the book away because it's such a badly written pile of tripe. The coincidence factor in all of them is so great that it goes off the coincidence scale. The plots are at best weak and the characters who have some kind of link to the core characters from the movies are far too many in number.
Even the novellisations of the movies make me cringe. The added parts from TPM about Anakin tending a wounded Tusken - DEAR GOD ON A STICK!!!!! I'm trying desperately to keep my foul mouth from spilling over here I have so much contempt for these 'books' and their 'authors'.
Names have nothing to do with EU. I'm perfectly happy with walrus man instead of Ponda Baba. To me it's just a way of identifying a character when I talk to you people. It creates a common language and that's the only purpose it serves.
I couldn't care a fig for Mara Jade/Skywalker or Leia Organa-Solo. I don't want to know about stupid ideas like the Ssi-Rukk or whoever the hell they are. Suncrushers? Ord Mantell? Ryloth?
What is all this rubbish? it all makes no sense and doesn't fit into place anywhere.
Characters from comics are fair game because they are technically designs anyway. Villie the mercenary is a great character with enough personality to warrant a figural representation. I just hope to god we never get anything so awful as a Dathomir sith witch. Heavens above, that is the worst idea I've ever seen in any non cannon crud.
I actually find it offensive that so much EU has been absorbed into the star wars universe already. Head on over to the official star wars site and look through the databank. You're forced to read all the EU entries whether you want to or not. I think that's highly offensive and rude.

There, that's my real opinion with no pussiefooting around. stick that in your smug EU pipe and smoke it!!!!:Pirate: ARRRRRRGH!

AMENDMENT:
I was going to edit this post and take out most of it. But I decided not to. I'm sorry if any of you take any offense. But we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't want to start a fight and hope this doesn't start anything like that. We are definately split into two camps here. Perhaps the answer would be a second and seperate star wars line - a branching off as it were with a totally different branding. Something in the same scale to appease the EU fans but not tied to the main star wars line so it doesn't interfere with that branding. Just a thought I had after posting.....

bigbarada
12-29-2001, 04:16 PM
The reason I don't like EU characters is because I have read several of the novels or tried to. I started on Heir to the Empire but lost interest because of Yawn (sorry, I meant Thrawn). The same with Vector Prime; Mara Jade irritated me so much I just put the novel down and never picked it up again. The anthology books were just exercises in futility with no point to the stories except to fill in movie plotholes with obscure background characters.

The two Han Solo trilogies have been the only ones to keep my interest and I admit that I would like to see figures of some of those character; but NOT at the expense of onscreen characters.

Once Hasbro exhausts ALL the characters from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina, then I would have no problem with an occasional EU character showing up.

Darth Evil
12-29-2001, 05:16 PM
Wow, some of you guys have a real hatred for EU, still, I still have my need for a Corran, I mean which would you prefer, Corran Horn or another Darth Maul? If it didn't stop the release of an obscure Cantina/Palace alien, what's the harm? I'm sure someone would buy an EU figure, there are enough EU fans!

stillakid
12-29-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The reason I don't like EU characters is because I have read several of the novels or tried to. I started on Heir to the Empire but lost interest because of Yawn (sorry, I meant Thrawn). The same with Vector Prime; Mara Jade irritated me so much I just put the novel down and never picked it up again. The anthology books were just exercises in futility with no point to the stories except to fill in movie plotholes with obscure background characters.

The two Han Solo trilogies have been the only ones to keep my interest and I admit that I would like to see figures of some of those character; but NOT at the expense of onscreen characters.

Once Hasbro exhausts ALL the characters from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina, then I would have no problem with an occasional EU character showing up.

I'm with you there...still! And Jargo, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :)

Really, there isn't much point to Hasbro wasting time with the EU characters. I've tried buying some for my 6 year old, but frankly, he doesn't know who they are or what to do with them if they weren't in the movie. On one hand, it seems that Hasbro claims to be doing all of this for the kids...primarily. On the other hand, EU stuff comes out in addition to highly articulated "adult" action figures which appear to be made for collectors. You'd swear that there were two separate Star Wars departments over there in Cincy. In any case, I can't see how anyone could complain much if they spent their time working on the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, and other secondary characters before diving into EU stuff.

Obi-Don
12-30-2001, 09:49 AM
Give into your hate and your path to the darkside will be complete.

I see no reason why there can't be a different line for the EU fans.I too do not want the making of any movie characters to stop.BUT,I for one like the EU and would really like some of the figures.I will agree that some of the books get alittle old like this Vong story line.But all in all I enjoy the stories.

If there were a different line for EU fiugures it would open up a new biz for Hasbro to cash in on.Maybe not as big as the others they already have,but a new way of bring in the money. I really doubt it would ever happen because we can't get the figures made that we want now with the lines they have out there now.Oh,we get some here and there. But hey!We can dream can't we?

Wolfwood319
12-30-2001, 11:13 PM
I don't think there is enough of a demand to constitute a new EU line, IMO. (There's hardly enough demand for the current POTJ line, as it is.) For Hasbro to even possibly constitute expanding the line, they need to see/hear a lot of positive input from the collectors. Not only collectors, but retailers as well. Stores out there are still feeling the hurt of the TPM nightmare, and have since stopped ordering POTJ figures. They're not going to go for another line of SW figures for a very long time, if ever.

They're not going to get that type of input and support, there's hardly enough of us to keep the POTJ line around.

If Hasbro drops the ball with AOTC like they did with TPM, you can forget about having a solid SW line after the end of next year.

Darth Evil
12-31-2001, 02:05 PM
I'd say most retailers will get in AOTC figures, there'll be a lot of hype, though not as much as there was for TPM.

Wolfwood319
12-31-2001, 06:33 PM
I've talked to a lot of people who work at KB's and TRU's and so forth, and while they do expect more AOTC stuff, the stores won't carry as much AOTC stuff as they did TPM stuff. The problem will be if stores get too much and it sits on the shelves, like TPM.

One way of thinking is that SW stuff doesn't sell as much as we produce, or, that its the next "big thing" and we need to order as much as possible to keep up with demand.

Either way, we'll get too much or too little.

I personally don't think there will be that much hype. AOTC stuff might sell a little better than POTJ in the beginning, but then it will level off to a "collectors only" market within a few months. The reason there was so much TPM stuff on the shelves is that for the most part, only collectors bought the stuff, and not kids, like Hasbro was hoping.

stillakid
12-31-2001, 10:31 PM
...cuz the movie sucked. Maybe if AOTC is better, kids will respond with more interest in the toys and parents will be willing to fork over cash.

bigbarada
01-01-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
...cuz the movie sucked.

I'm with ya there.:eek: If anything FOTR has opened my eyes and shown me the right way to start a saga. Ep1 just didn't cut it on so many levels.

Obi-Don
01-01-2002, 02:40 AM
I agree with that. Even though I liked the movie it was disappointing. It could have been so much better.

sith_killer_99
01-01-2002, 02:39 PM
If LFL announced that Corran Horn was an actual background character in the OT people would be dying to snatch him up. He was after all an X-Wing pilot!:eek:

Anyhow, just a couple of points to clear up.

First of all, I LOVED the Zahn trilogy. In fact everyone I know that has read it loved it. This is the first time I have heard people say they didn't enjoy it. As for Stackpole and the rest.....well? There are better authors out there.

Emperor Jargo:

"The coincidence factor in all of them is so great that it goes off the coincidence scale."

Is that kinda like Luke Skywalker ending up with a droid that has a message from his secret twin sister, who is being abducted by their secret father, that was meant for one of only 2 people in the whole galaxy who could train him to be a Jedi?;)

"So there will probably never be a true EU line until the film cannon characters have been mined dry."

Two problems with that.

First, they already made an EU line, two in fact. One was called "Expanded Universe" and the other was called "Shadows of the Empire".

Second, the film cannon characters will NEVER be mined dry. They will continue until the line dies, and even then we will not have all of the films characters. You can thank endless re-sculpts for that.

On a side note, EU does exist in the regular SW line. Although in limited amounts. Darth Maul's "Sith Attack Speeder" (Invasion Force) was not in the movie. Nither was Obi-Wan with Gungan Sub (Invasion Force).

I think Hasbro will continue to give us EU stuff every now and then. We are seeing more of it in the POTJ line.

Wolfwood319:

"And if they come out with EU figures or an EU line, I won't buy any of them."

I will not reiterate that Hasbro did come out with an EU line (2 in fact) or that they have made EU stuff and incorperated it into the regular lines. It is good that you have no interest in these, because they're EXPENSIVE enough as it is.

However, it is unfortunate that Leia in Boushh Disguise was originaly released as and EU figure (not counting the vintage line). Does this mean that you can't get one?:p JK:D

Yes this is a split debate, and I'm not knocking anybody, it's all in fun. But there is a demand for EU out there. How else do you explain the high prices for EU figures? And so long as there is a demand Hasbro will attempt to capitalize.

Currently they are incorperating a few EU figs in the POTJ line, in the past they gave them their own lines. What will the future bring?!?!.....

BLUE STAR WARS cards. The only thing we collectors can be sure of. The one thing it all comes down to.....

Blue Star Wars cards people......

Blue Star Wars cards.
:crazed:

stillakid
01-01-2002, 03:43 PM
BLUE STAR WARS cards. The only thing we collectors can be sure of. The one thing it all comes down to.....

Blue Star Wars cards people......

Blue Star Wars cards.
:crazed:

The only "blue" Star Wars card is a sad :cry: Star Wars card. Probably cuz it doesn't have a Classic Trilogy figure in it...

Darth Evil
01-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah, EU figures are insanely expensive, I paid four times the normal price for Mara Jade!

Wolfwood319
01-01-2002, 04:01 PM
I personally don't like the new card look. It looks like a combination of retro styling with the campiness of current action figure cards. Most of the E2 figures we've seen have those stupid action poses, and overall I have very little hope for getting something I really want next year, OT wise.

As for EU stuff in the POTJ line;

First I didn't buy any of it cause it was all based on E1 stuff, and they were based on characters that did appear in a film, only in different "EU" costumes. And they looked real bad IMO. There were no figures of characters that only appeared in the books, comics, etc.

As for Shadows and the POTF EU line, I got the Leia Boushh when it was released on the green card, and I never bought any of the other stuff, it really didn't look very good. I got a Thrawn for free in a deal, and he's still on his card in a box somewhere. The sculpting on those were pretty bad too, IMO, and I had no idea where most of the characters were from. (That Imperial Sentinel-red thingy looked like something out of Flash Gordon, I don't mean that in a good way.)

When it comes down to it, when Hasbro sees debates like this, it makes them real uneasy about coming out with a product that half of its market says it won't buy.

The only "EU" stuff I think we'll be seeing is movie characters in production design costumes.

Darth Evil
01-01-2002, 04:38 PM
Sigh, you're probably right, but still, I can dream. Someday, I might write a song about this, "Oh, I wanted a Corran Horn figure, but Hasbro wouldn't bring out a new EU line...." :crazed:

stillakid
01-01-2002, 06:41 PM
There must be a few enterprising young souls out there who have both the interest and the ability to create, say, a new line of Star Wars figures which would include all the EU that most likely will never get made and dare I say, the b-characters from the films who most likely won't be sculpted by Hasbro. They could be considered, ahem, custom and, uh, bartered or something to avoid any, um, unpleasant letters from Lucasfilm legal. Just a thought.

DISCLAIMER: Do not try this at home.

GNT
01-01-2002, 11:40 PM
First, they already made an EU line, two in fact. One was called "Expanded Universe" and the other was called "Shadows of the Empire".

On a side note, EU does exist in the regular SW line. Although in limited amounts. Darth Maul's "Sith Attack Speeder" (Invasion Force) was not in the movie. Nither was Obi-Wan with Gungan Sub (Invasion Force).

First of all Dash Rendar (SOTE) ship appeared in the SE version of ANH,does that mean he and his ship are EU any more?no!

The Invasion Force toys are for younger kids who cannot afford the big $90+ vehicles and hasbro was giving them achance to own them!

stillakid
01-02-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by GNT

The Invasion Force toys are for younger kids who cannot afford the big $90+ vehicles and hasbro was giving them achance to own them![/COLOR]

Like I said, I tried getting these for my boy but since they weren't in the movie, he had no interest in them. So what's the point? Kid's want what we want ... stuff from the films. Parents who aren't so into Star Wars, like all of us, are unlikely to open up their wallets to buy something that they don't recognize either. The only market for non-movie stuff is us...and apparently a small percentage of us at that. Not a very good consumer outlook overall. It's that simple.

SithDroid
01-19-2002, 07:06 PM
I for one would like more EU figures. Not the kind that we have seen lately (ex. Darth Maul Sith Apprentice, Qui-Gon Jedi Training Gear, Obi-Wan cold Weather Gear, Obi-Wan Jedi Training Gear, etc...). We need to see more never before made characters. That's what I want. I could care less for another stupid rehash resulpted Obi-Wan. I have enough of him. Give me the less known characters. Although I haven't read a lot of the EU stuff, I like the figures. So HASBRO, BRING ON THE EU! (as long as it's original EU characters)

Darth Evil
01-20-2002, 08:22 AM
Corran Horn joined the Rebel Alliance after the Battle of Endor, so he couldn't have been in the background in the movies, unfortunately. The old EU was good, it seemed a little incomplete though, we needed Pellaeon, C'baoth, Corran, etc. But now I'm just repeating myself ;) .