PDA

View Full Version : What other lines of figures do you collect

Darth Mina
10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
I only collect SW and It really takes a bite out of my pocket, so i was wondering who collects other than SW and how do you manage to support more than one line

James Boba Fettfield
10-08-2004, 11:18 PM
This topic seems very similar to another topic. But I am unable to search for that topic because the quick search function keeps giving me errors.

I collect whatever. Star Wars was the only line I collected in which I tried to own it all. Everything else I pick up is based on liking whatever property it is based on.

Robocop to Metallica, whatever tickles my fancy.

How I afford it? Good question. I don't spend money on clothes? Maybe that's where I save money. The jeans and single pocket t-shirts are good enough for me so I can continue to support my collecting habits.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-09-2004, 11:35 AM
I also collect monster movie toys of a wide range: from Hellboy, to Movie Maniacs, to the X-Plus Harryhausen and AIP figures, to Japanese Godzilla imports to the 12" Sideshow line.

I am a completeist with the SW 3 3/4" line, but not with everything else (except Sideshow's 12" classic horror line). I don't feel compelled to own every version of Godzilla, or all of the Movie Maniacs figures. I just pick the ones I like.

How do I afford it? I don't really, which is why I am perpectually behind in my collections. Generally, during lulls in SW collecting, either when I can't find anything, or I'm mostly caught up, I'll divert money to catching up on my monster toys. Sideshow's stuff comes out few and far between, so that make's it easier. Also, I tend to use ebay a lot, and don't feel compelled to get everything as soon as it comes out. This makes it possible for me to score items that sell for $40 retail for about $20-$25 including shipping. That helps a great deal.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of stuff I want, and it's aggravating to have to pick and choose and then hope I can find the stuff I missed later. I don't have any Hellraiser figures or Ghostbusters for example, but am pretty sure I'll be able to get them all, and for less money than I would have paid had I bought them when they came out.

I used to buy random other toys that caught my eye, but have stopped. All of those have just ended up stored away in boxes, their appeal apparently fleeting at best. At some point they will probably end up on ebay, where someone else will get them for less than they would have paid, had they bought them as they came out.

LTBasker
10-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Star Wars
Batman
Spider-Man (Movies)
Spider-Man Classics
Marvel Legends
X-Men (X2)
Spawn
Muppets (Muppet Treasure Island ones)
Justice League
LEGO

and to think just last year I was only collecting Star Wars and LEGO. :p

mrpauldeeds
10-10-2004, 01:42 PM
movie maniacs and mcfarlene nfl sports picks.

RooJay
10-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm currently collecting Star Wars, Lord of the Rings (Toybiz), Armies of Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings Minimates, Sideshow Universal Monsters, By the Sword, James Bond, X-Files and various others, Marvel Legends, Various assorted DC Direct such as Kingdom Come, Modern Teen Titans and Hush, the new Microman line, Simpsons (still a few I need to pick up), Muppets, Star Wars Unleashed, He-Man (still holding out that new ones are on the way and still searching for odds and ends), Justice League, Batman, and DC Comics C3 minimates. It must be some kind of magic that allows me to collect so many toys since I'm certain I don't have enough money for them. Also, I'm very lucky that my girlfriend enjoys my collection also and has often helped me out with the occasional toy here and there. ;)

If I could find them, I'd also pick up the Ren and Stimpy and Family Guy lines. I also plan on picking up McFarlanes Conan figures, as well as few Movie Maniacs that I've missed over the past couple years, Alex Ross' DC Direct Justice League figures, SOTA's Now Playing figures, Palisades' Army of Darkeness, Pirates of the Carribean and Star Wars Galactic Heroes.

evenflow
10-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I collect:

Star Wars
Marvel Legends
Marvel Minimates & DC Minimates
Kubricks (Star Wars & Back to the Future for now)
Clerks Inaction figures

Darth Jax
10-11-2004, 05:18 PM
i collect each of the Star Wars lines: 3 3/4", 12", Unleashed, Galatic Heroes/Playskool (if i could find them that is) and SW LEGOs. i get each of the Punisher figures that i can find. Homies, South Park and View Askew figures i have nearly complete sets of. The TMNT and Muppets i pick and choose what appeals to me, same goes for monsters and horror film figures (from classic monsters to the nearer 18" versions of Jason, Freddy et al). i have all the Austin Powers figures that i liked. i'll pick up musical figures (KISS, Ozzy, etc), but mostly concentrate on the few released Metallica figures.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Darth Jax, do you have a Target in your area? At the two near me they have plenty of the preschool SW toys, but they don't peg them with the rest of the SW stuff. they put them on the aisle that has the Pokemon and Toy Story toys, so maybe you should check there.

Darth Jax
10-11-2004, 11:25 PM
both targets near me have only one aisle for all the toy figures. GI Joe, Pokemon, TMNT, SW, spidey, wrestling - it's all shoved in their together. i've wandered up and down the other aisles futilely looking for them.

kool-aid killer
10-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I collect Star Wars 3 3/4 figures and vehicles. I buy just about every figure with the exception of the main cast. Ive got plenty of them by now. But i do if i really like the mold. For the most part its only background characters now, my list of wants is down to about five now. I also collect Lord of the Rings figures, and with that im only missing three figures. I kind of get the feeling that the line wont be going for too much longer. I wouldnt mind if it does end, but until that happens i wont stop collecting them. I used to collect TMNT but right now my support is wavering. Ive seen plenty of new figures but im having a hard time picking them up, not because of a lack of money but because im a bit disappointed in the line. Im still debating whether to drop it or not, right now im leaning towards dropping it. I also collect various Transformers figures. I dont really collect any of the current line (energon) but am working on various G1 and Beast Wars figures. This line currently holds my interest more than any others. Ive also started to pick up McFarlane Predator figures. Other than that i dont collect any other lines, though the temptation is there. Im able to collect all these lines because most of the time they go by spurts. Star Wars figures may not be appearing but LOTR will be, etc. It also helps to plan out a budget and assign an appropriate amount to all needed bills, then with whats left over set up a tentative dollar amount that you can/should spend on other things.

El Chuxter
10-12-2004, 02:12 PM
SW:
POTF2/TPM/POTJ/Saga/Clone Wars/OTC/ROTS/Whatever the next line's called
Playskool/Galactic Heroes
Unleashed
Clone Wars Animated
Epic Force & Jedi Power lines (well, I have them all and they're not making any more)
assorted 12" figures (whatever looks really cool or is on clearance)

Other:
Transformers Alternators
Marvel Legends
assorted other Marvel figures (mostly Hulk & X-Men Classics minus the stupid non-comic resculpts, and villains from the Spider-Man Classics line)
Masters of the Universe (on the off chance the last couple of waves ever show up in the US -- I'm not about to pay import prices for them)
Batman (same as MOTU, since this line's basically dead, too :()
assorted Lord of the Rings figures (whatever is important enough to need, and no resculpts or minor characters)
assorted McFarlane figures, though the quality of them vs the price has chased me away from most

Until recently, I was collecting the Muppets and occasional GIJoes, but the amount I'm spending on toys needed to be scaled back. I figured I could live without "Fourth Muppet from the left in scene 23 of Muppets from Space" and "Urban Camo Skateboarding Snake Eyes."

I've also been keeping my eyes open to see if there's anything resembling a basic Samurai Jack, and if there's not one soon, I might just pick up the Battle Damaged Jack.

Ji'dai
10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I only splurge on the SW 4" line, I buy two of each. I'll buy deluxe, vehicles, and 12" when they're first released if I like them, otherwise I'll wait until clearance time.

LEGO - mostly Star Wars sets now, but I like other "system" theme sets, like Pirates, Town, Adventurers, etc. I try to buy LEGO on sale or clearance.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I try to get all the new figures, but it's a small line with long waits between releases.

Otherwise it's whatever catches my eye:
McFarlane (Spawn, Monsters, Infernal Parade)
Hellboy
NECA (Ghostbusters, Kill Bill, Pirates of the Caribbean)
Simpsons (Most of mine are the Halloween Treehouse of Horror sets)

Hellboy
10-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Well other than SW I collect:

-Hellboy
-NECA: Kill Bill and upcoming Halloween and House of 1000 Corpses/Devils Rejects figures.
-Batman: Hush, Dark Knight Returns and other assorted figures that happen to catch my eye.
-Marvel Legends: I pick and choose with this line
-Justice League -10"
-Justice League -4": I only buy the basic core characters and the villains leaving the silly stuff like Flash on a motorcycle or Superman with battle armor on the pegs.

How do I afford it? By giving up things like eating out, going to the pub with the fellas and generally limiting my expenditures as much as possible with the exception of my love for movies, both in the theater and on DVD. I still pass up quite a few things I'd love to collect and the only line I consider myself a completist of is the 3 3/4" SW line. Thats also the only line I collect carded, everything else gets opened.