PDA

View Full Version : The Art world and Star Wars

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Since there isn't a general section for the prequels, I thought I'd put this here.
Being an art major, I've come across quite a few things that seem to have had a big influence on Star Wars, specifically the prequels.

For example:
Queen Amidala has several worldwide influences in her costumes.
The first one is a comparison that I've seen floating around the internet for quite a while.
(see attachment)
The other one I found that looked quite a bit like one of her outfits (from Palpatine's apartment) is a mosaic titled Court of Theodora (c.547)
From the beads to the halo to the semi-circle in the crest, it sure looks like an ifluence on that costume to me.
(see attachment)

Battle Droids look quite a bit like Jacob Epstein's The Rock Drill (1913-14)
(see attachment)

Geonosis bears a striking resemblence to Antoni Gaudi's Church of the Sagrada Family (in Barcelona) (1883-1926)
Attachment was too large, so here is the link:
http://www.unibas.ch/schulen/wgym/projekte/f1a97/spanien/gaudi.gif

Early on in Attack of the Clones, in Padme's apartment you can see on a background table, an object that looks an awful lot like one of Constantin Brancusi's Bird in Space sculptures (he did quite a few). I couldn't find a screen cap, but it's pretty easy to spot.
(see attachment)

What do you think? Anyone noticed any others?

Exhaust Port
10-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Cool. I really like the depth that GL and crew go to make their worldly vision by taking inspiration from so many different genre's and era's. Any other finds Rocketboy?

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 11:08 AM
I know I have at least a few more somewhere. I can't find the notebook I had them all written in right now. And I have 4 or 5 big Art History I'd have to go through, page by page.

Hope I can find that notebook...
:)

dr_evazan22
10-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Great pics and comparisons! And a pretty cool topic. I hope you can find that notebook too.

I've seen the first photo of Amidala before. Not sure if it was in "The Art of..." book, at one of the Celebrations, or maybe in reading spoilers on the net beforehand. I do remember seeing on TFN comparisons of the Republic Gunship to a Russian military helicopter.

I think Lucas and Co has done a great job of finding exotic real world items or locations to represent that Galaxy Far Far Away, whether those Amidala costumes, Ani's slave quarters in E1, Luke's homestead in ANH...

Another place you can look for some other comparisons is the "Magic Of Myth" book which, BTW, has the best detailed photo of 3PO I've ever seen.

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Still looking for those notes...
You know how you know exactly where something is right up until you need it?

I remember seeing an old comic on theforce.net I believe, that showed a vehicle that looked very similar to the Hailfire Droid. Can't remember when they ran that story and I can't seem to find it on tfn right now.

I have the Magic of Myth - great book. The OT and the WWII influnces in weapons, vehicles, uniforms, dogfights, names, and the Empire as a whole are what really interested me in the inspirations of the look of Star Wars. I was pretty excited when I started noticing the possible art links.
The look of the OT seems to be history and the PT seems to be art.

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I think that things like these are what makes Star Wars truly unique in the fantasy/sci-fi realm. Even though these are alien worlds they all seem familiar, without being too obvious. Subconsiously we put the pieces together and can almost instantly feel comfortable with the designs in the movies. Nothing feels forced, everything feels natural.

Just flipping through art history books, I came across other possibilities.

The front of the Pantheon resembles Theed (first 2 attachments).
As does the Mosque of Suleyman I (in Istabul) (see link)
http://www.drwombat.com/worldpics/1987/suleimaniye.jpg
Seeing as how Theed has a definite classic architectural feel, like that of ancient Rome, it's no surprise that there is a resemblance.

The 4 towers of the Hagia Sophia (also in Istanbul) reminded me of the Jedi Temple's towers (see last 2 attachments). Similar towers are also on the Taj Mahal.
If this, or similar structures, turned out to be the inspiration it wouldn't surprise me since so much of the Jedi (and the Force) is based on various religions.