PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite SLEEPER movies...

stillakid
10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
A lot of "your favorite" movies threads of late. I thought it would be informative and fun to see what "sleeper" movies everybody likes. You know, those films that are off the main radar or didn't receive a lot of press or nobody saw but should have.

One of my favorites is HENRY, PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER.

A favorite of my son's and one of my own is THAT THING YOU DO.

What other great little movies are hiding out there? Let us know! :)

James Boba Fettfield
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I will go with Frailty and Below.

Rocketboy
10-09-2004, 11:40 PM
A few were decent hits, yet it seems few people saw them.
Leon (The Internation Uncut version, not the sanitzed US version)
Mystery, Alaska
Formula 51
Changing Lanes
Rules of Engagement

(Yeah, I like Samuel L Jackson movies)

2-1B
10-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Donnie Darko !

James Boba Fettfield
10-10-2004, 12:02 AM
I second that Donnie Darko!

B'Omarr Monkey
10-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Heavenly Creatures

Deep Rising

The Kingdom

The Devil's Backbone

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Johnny Suede

These movies can't really be called "sleepers" anymore, but at the time I saw them, they were certainly under the radar:

Rushmore

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Wings of Desire

scruffziller
10-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Through and through- TRAINSPOTTING

A really kooky, humorous movie just because it is so bizzare in what should be a normal setting.- ROAD TO WELLVILLE

SLING BLADE

General Warpig
10-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I think that the best and most underated movie of all time is Bladerunner. Not onlt did Scott prove his worth yet again as a sublime artist and talented director, he was the first to really do justice to Phillip K. Dick's work on screen. Where THX (1138) held a dark and claustrophobic future Bladerunner gave us a disfunctional and eclectic vision of all races mashed into one. What over films gives you (cyber)punks, Hari-kryshna, Rabbis, Asians, Quakers and many more i have yet to spot in a single scene. Not based on guns or violence, just the need to understand a life so beyond any of the characters... a true masterpiece, loved more and more each year and gathering yet more credebility (much like the original Star wars) over time.

Turbowars
10-10-2004, 12:49 PM
My wife and I came up with these.

The Virgin Suicides

Almost Famous

Saved

Thirteen

I 3rd Donnie Darko

American Psycho

mrpauldeeds
10-10-2004, 02:34 PM
write me down as # 4 for donnie darko:D

garden state and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind are also really good

Hellboy
10-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I definitely agree with all the support for Donnie Darko. It would be at the top of my list as well. Here are a few others I'd consider "sleepers" that I really enjoyed.

-Dark City
-Bottle Rocket
-Brotherhood of the Wolf
-Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
-Lord of Illusions

2-1B
10-10-2004, 08:29 PM
The Virgin Suicides - good call, Turbs
and
I gotta go with mrpauldeeds in nominating Garden State. Natalie Portman rocks ! :D

mrmiller
10-11-2004, 01:43 AM
I guess a lot of us have different ideas on what a "sleeper" is. I take it more like a movie that didn't get a lot of publicity in it's inital run, or any big film festival talk, and is basiclaly one you may have never heard of before seeing it on a rental shelf or something.

The best of these, not to be redundant, would be Donnie Darko. It's been out a long time, and the popularity has skyrocketed due to it's greatness.

Another I'd pick would be Equlibrium. A great movie that looked to be just a matrix type knock off.

I also recommned A Simple Plan for anyone who has never seen it. It's an intense that really surprised me.

Nightwatch with Obi-Wan McGregor is another good thriller that many have not seen or heard of.

Another Ewan McGregor one wourld be Shallow Grave. That and Trainspotting are both excelent, but many people may not have heard much about shallow grave even though I think it was done by Danny Boyle as well.

I'm sure there are more, I just gotta pick my brain a bit.

=MATT=

General Warpig
10-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Okay, i like the idea of a better definition of "sleeper" movies.
I still say... Bladerunner
But how about- A clockwork Orange -that Kubtick refused to release in england for 30 yrs? It may have had reknown, but over her it became nmore infamous than anything else. Or other films that although well received just had no money to internationally back them.

Romper Stomper... for an introduction for Russell crow and a story how Nazism just isn' t viable and is ulyimatley self destructive.
Once were Warriors... Starring Termura Morrisson no less (as a bas$*^úd) and a story about how our wifes are no punchbacks and alcohol is nothing more than poison to the natove folk of New Zealand. Amongst all films that one was made for tv and has me in tears everytime. (can also see how morrison got the part of Jango Fett in EpII)

2-1B
10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Rena Owen (Taun We) was in Once Were Warriors, too, right ?

mrmiller, yeah ! Nightwatch ! I saw the preview on a rental movie tape long before it came out then in that time I heard nothing more about it . . . finally found it on video and gave it a look. Awesome.

Slicker
10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Another I'd pick would be Equlibrium. A great movie that looked to be just a matrix type knock off.I was thinking of this exact movie. It's pretty good and doesn't even have many big stars.

General Warpig
10-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Rena Owen = Taun We! We'll spotted!
Off the point a liitel; but Talking of "Once were Warriors" Did anyone notice that the eldest son (NIK) is infact Apok from the Matrix, y'know that little film that became so big because people seem to love movies about killing innocent folks for fun, cause it don't matter. Gotta' admit thought there would be an ending to the trilogy not just "the long big fight". Lol.

stillakid
10-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm going to add ELECTRIC DREAMS. A goofy movie that is quintessential 80s, but fun and cute and it has Virginia Madsen. :kiss:

DarthChuckMc
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Another vote for Donnie Darko and Nightwatch.

I have a few others that are bizarre Italian horror flicks.

Deep Red, Suspiria and Phenomena (aka. Creepers in the US) all by Dario Argento, are great suspense, horror gore fests.

kool-aid killer
10-12-2004, 02:08 PM
For whatever reason i love watching La Bamba. Its about Ritchie Valens and his life. I used to watch it all the time as a kid at my grandmothers house. My favorite part is when Bob and his friends come into Ritchies concert at a VA building and end up starting a fight that trashes the place up. Im the only person i know who likes that movie.

El Chuxter
10-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Dude, La Bamba was a pretty big hit when it came out. :)

I don't particularly like movies that put me to sleep.

Hellboy
10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I have a few others that are bizarre Italian horror flicks.

Deep Red, Suspiria and Phenomena (aka. Creepers in the US) all by Dario Argento, are great suspense, horror gore fests.

Yes, some great choices indeed. I love Argento's work but he's not very mainstream and these films definitely aren't to well known even though a young Jennifer Connelly and the late great Donald Pleasence starred in Phenomena.

Imperial Monarche
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I think I'm gonna have to say Star Wars...just playing. My favorites are as follows:

Memento
Resevoir Dogs (that may not be one now, but when it was released, it was a sleeper)
Best In Show
THX 1138
Menace II Society

I could probably think of more, but not off the top of my head.

Turbowars
10-12-2004, 11:17 PM
:

Memento
Best In Show

I totally agree with Memento. Great film. I can't believe I didn't include this one.

Best in Show, LOL! It's definitely the best of Christopher Guest movies. Funny *** ****!

kool-aid killer
10-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Dude, La Bamba was a pretty big hit when it came out. :)

I don't particularly like movies that put me to sleep.

Born in 83 son, i never heard it was a big hit when it came out. Maybe somewhere out in the big wide web there is a site dedicated stricly to that movie.... :eek: RITCHIE!!!

Another movie that comes to mind is The Sandlot. Nothing was better than getting a bunch of friends together and playing sports out in the street. The "good ol days."

General Warpig
10-13-2004, 02:53 PM
how about the french film...
"Christian F"
The fore runner to Nakita?
Or Carpenters...
"Darkstar"
A blast of a movie and one of the first to take a poke at 2001, not to say its not a good film, it was just so ground braking it took Star wars and Alien to make that forum accessible once more.
I have to agree with "ThX 1138" as well.
must mention Gilliam's "Time bandits", "Jabberwocky" and without a doubt
"BRAZIL"

El Chuxter
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Two possible sleeper movies that I loved, which should've been huge hits if they'd been promoted correctly, were Atlantis and Dinosaur, both of which belong near the top of any short list of the best Disney movies.

Also, would Mystery Men be considered a sleeper?

I am going to have to check out The Sandlot sometime. Everyone tells me it's a classic.

Edit: Would Ever After be considered a sleeper movie? That was a cool flick.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-13-2004, 08:31 PM
"Best In Show" reminds me, that I left "Waiting for Guffman" off my list. I would also add "Brazil" ( I was fortunate to see it at that important NYC screening that was arranged before the studio cut was made), as well as:

"Gods and Monsters"

"Ed Wood"

and here's one that really stretches things:

"Amazon Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death" starring Bull Mahar, Shannon Tweed, and Adrienne Barbeau. Yes, I thought the same thing you are probably thinking, as did the two other people I saw this with, but we not only sat through the whole thing, but really enjoyed it. I won't say it's a classic, but it managed to be really clever and even pretty funny.

mrpauldeeds
10-13-2004, 11:01 PM
forgot about one.....

its a French film about a boy growing up, and everything bad happens to him. its really marvoulus. black and white with subtitles...so if you dont like that i guess stay away from it.

The 400 Blows
really, watch it:)

stillakid
10-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Cinema Paradiso!

B'Omarr Monkey
10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
forgot about one.....

its a French film about a boy growing up, and everything bad happens to him. its really marvoulus. black and white with subtitles...so if you dont like that i guess stay away from it.

The 400 Blows
really, watch it:)

The 400 Blows is one of my favorite movies, though I don't know if it counts as a sleeper. It's been around for quite some time now, and it is considered a classic.

mrpauldeeds
10-14-2004, 10:48 PM
ohh, well i didnt know whether or not to include it in here. to me it is a sleeper cuz i never herd of it before i was made to watch it. and i ended up loving it. i didnt even think anyone has herd of it, wanted to say something about it cuz it was sooo good.

ohh well.....count it as FAVORITE CLASSIC MOVIES.:D

heres a sleeper movie i hated..."what the F*@^ do we know?" its about quantam physics, god a sleeper that put me to sleep. while it had its interesting parts, i just couldnt understand and was just a quack in my opinion.

100 posts...cool.

stillakid
10-14-2004, 11:59 PM
ohh, well i didnt know whether or not to include it in here. to me it is a sleeper cuz i never herd of it before i was made to watch it. and i ended up loving it. i didnt even think anyone has herd of it, wanted to say something about it cuz it was sooo good.

ohh well.....count it as FAVORITE CLASSIC MOVIES.:D

heres a sleeper movie i hated..."what the F*@^ do we know?" its about quantam physics, god a sleeper that put me to sleep. while it had its interesting parts, i just couldnt understand and was just a quack in my opinion.

100 posts...cool.

Popular Science put out a WARNING about that movie. It was a bunch of quack cultists that made it but tried to make it sound legit. They hoodwinked a couple of real scientists to sit for interviews then twisted their words to fit what the cult was trying to promote. Apparently one of the main chicks (?) was a blond who was channeling some farcical ancient spirit or something. The other main dude masquerading as a scientist was really a real estate guy or something who was just a loony follower of the blond channeler. Whacked stuff.

mrpauldeeds
10-15-2004, 12:08 AM
lol wow i cant belive i even saw it. yeah its horrible people, dont even think about seeing it. :o

B'Omarr Monkey
10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Here's another one that I forgot about "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control." It's a documentary, I believe by Errol Morris that covers four people with unusual jobs that they are passionate about. One guy builds robots based on insects, another studies the naked mole rat, a third is a topiary artist, and the last is a lion tamer. It was very entertaining, and goes to show that us SW collectors aren't the only freaks out there.

General Warpig
10-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Heres another i forgot about...
"Man bites Dog"
Personally i don't rate films that are violent fior violence sake, but the sense of humour in this psuedo documentary is quite hilarious, near to the point of sickness when the camera crew become invovled in a serial killers games in order to make a documentary. Sure beats the hell out of big budget tarantino movies, that wear their influences like bagdes rather than being inspired by them.

stillakid
10-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Here's another one that I forgot about "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control." It's a documentary, I believe by Errol Morris that covers four people with unusual jobs that they are passionate about. One guy builds robots based on insects, another studies the naked mole rat, a third is a topiary artist, and the last is a lion tamer. It was very entertaining, and goes to show that us SW collectors aren't the only freaks out there.

Good call. I'll add his films Gates of Heaven and The Thin Blue Line as well. The way he exposes fraud should be used as a textbook for all wanna-be journalists.

General Warpig
10-17-2004, 02:48 AM
Okay, heres another that did dlip the old memory, how about...

"Withnail and I"

a fine british movie thas almost more observation than comdedy and the only film that icludes not only fine wines and cake, but Jake the poacher and the scary uncle monty...
"I know your awake boy!"

Jon
10-17-2004, 10:24 AM
A sleeper movie my wife and I really enjoy is Suicide Kings with Christopher Walken, Dennis Leary & Jay Mohr. We found it on DVD, never heard of it being in theaters but we really enjoy that one.

Also I would promote:

Memento
Count of Monte Cristo(if that counts)

JON9000
10-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Good call. I'll add his films Gates of Heaven and The Thin Blue Line as well. The way he exposes fraud should be used as a textbook for all wanna-be journalists.
If you guys haven't seen Morris' The Fog of War, you should.