PDA

View Full Version : Words from Wal-Mart

Pages : 1 [2]

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Tatooine5-0,

Alot of retail stores train managers. They have the manager trainee program in certain stores. I dont know if Wal-Mart does it or not, but stores do it. The store should have a regular manager in each dept. no matter what. They can not count on someone new coming in every couple of weeks to start over. That would ruin an entire dept. Nothing would ever be correct. Unless that is the Asst. Manager handles the dept. instead of dept managers.

Jaff
12-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Today’s inventory results are as follows:

Darth Chuck
Clermont, FL (5299) has 113 figs. 6 figs sold since last post.
Ocoee, FL (942) has 153 figs and 24 POTC figs. 5 figs sold since last post
Mount Dora, FL (705) has 163 figs. 3 figs sold since last post.

Darthzirock's
Gastonia, NC 3000 E Franklin (1385) has 5 figs on hand. 1 sold since last post

El Chuxter’s
Hemet, CA (1853) has 36 figs. 4 figs sold since last post.

JRsharp's
Folsom CA (1760) has 73 OTC figs. 12 sold since last post.
Roseville, CA (1988) has 116 figs. 5 figs sold since last post
Antelope, CA (1881) has 45 figs. 6 figs sold since last post

Kidhuman's
Radford, VA (2762) has 41 figs.
Christiansburg, VA (1292) has 116 OTC figs. 2 sold since last post

LTBasker’s
Sapulpa, OK (73) has 90 figs. 4 figs sold since last post

Mastermatt’s
Brea, CA (2523) has -2 figs. Same mess since last posts.
LaHabra, CA (3248) has 102 figs. 13 figs sold since last post

Mina Solo
Durte, CA (2401) has 25 figs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL’s
Lafayette, CO (1045) has 45 figs. 1 fig sold since last post

Posty's
Bellingham, WA (2450) shows 147 figs. 5 OTC sold since last post. 24 POTC is still in the stores inventory so they have not made it to the shelves yet.

Roswellsun’s
Danbury, CT (3543) shows 8 figs.
New Milford, CT (3546) shows 37 figs. 4 figs sold since last post.

Tatooine5-0’s
Surprise, AZ (2777) has 114 figs. 2 figs sold since last post.

Turbowars’
Porter Ranch, CA (2526) has 13 figs.
Panorama City, CA (2568) has 33 figs.

Val Da Car’s
Racine, WI (2668) has a whopping 113 figs at this location. 3 OTC sold since last post. 12 POTC here which they are holding since last post.

I noticed that there has been some topics I missed in the last week. After all these last two weeks are usually the busiest time of the year for me, but either tonight or tommorrow I will do some posts to answer recent posts.

JediTricks
12-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Jaff, please add the Baldwin Park store #3522, and the Covina store #2292 to your list of updates if possible. Thanks!

Jaff
12-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Jaff - Thanks again for all your answers and inventory reports. This may be the greatest SW collecting post ever. I know we all thank you!

Quick question? Are you able to get inventory counts on VOTC as well? Or is that a pain in the butt?

Thanks again!!!!!

I can post VOTC, but as it stands with the ammount of stores I'm covering I spend about 20 minutes a day at work documenting counts for OTC and POTC. I don't think I could add more to the list during this season because it's not uncommon for me to do over 60 hours a week at this time. However I will keep this in mind after this silly season

Jaff
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Jaff - Jave you ever heard of certain Wal-MArt stores being used as training grounds for new Managers? I recently ran into a fellow collector at the Target across the way from my local Wal-Mart (2777) (he used to work there) and this stores lack of figures came up. He said that this store has revolving managers all the time and the current toy manager essentially does not know what he is doing at all. Ever heard of Wal-Mart doing this? Not sure if I totally believe him or not...

It's true that every district has one training store. In training stores a group of trainees spend 12 weeks as mgmt trainees. They learn policies, telexon, and job duties of everyone, but they don't have any authority over any department in the store. After the 12th week trainees will shadow a manager for about 5 weeks and they are able to be assistants to the managers they shadow.

However some stores do have revolving managers. The store or Co-mgrs can be really bad people persons and thus everyone requests to leave the store. Also assistants usually have to stay at one location for a minumum of six months. However I will also say that the assistant manager position in Wal-Mart is the worst position to have in the company. Assistants get all the problems, all the hours and little support or encouragement esspecially from DM's. A hourly has more freedom and power than most assistants out there.

jrsharp21
12-06-2004, 12:12 AM
I can post VOTC, but as it stands with the ammount of stores I'm covering I spend about 20 minutes a day at work documenting counts for OTC and POTC. I don't think I could add more to the list during this season because it's not uncommon for me to do over 60 hours a week at this time. However I will keep this in mind after this silly season
It's all good then. Don't worry about. You do enough for us. We appreciate all your time and effort.

Tycho
12-06-2004, 05:53 AM
I don't follow this thread regularly, so sorry for anything repetative.

I also don't want to disrupt Jaff's time even further, though I'm impressed with his efforts to go above and beyond the call of duty for a Wal-Mart manager. Maybe he should show his efforts to the company and become promoted to a toys purchasing agent (if they have that kind of specialty in purchasing?)

In any case I've noticed this: Toys R Us is the ONLY retailer to have the Coruscant Wave (Rabe, Amidala, Pablo Jill, Sly Moore, Senator Yarua) - if I'm correct. I think one Wal-Mart that one of my teammates covers in North County got this wave, unless I'm mistaken and he got it from his North County TRU.

If Wal-Mart is going to get these figures, it will be too late to sell them. I have all but 6 Rabes I am searching for (and only shopping TRU lately). Target has not gotten them in either.

What gives?

If the Sneak Previews are coming in February, and INVENTORY is in January, are we going to see the 2 major retail chains (Target and Wally) get the Coruscant Wave late - and then if TRU backs down - are all of us GOING TO GET SCREWED ON THE CANTINA WAVE (the most awesome OTC figures to date that they've done?)???

I'm still thinking the cantina dudes will show up at TRU before Christmas (and in short quantities). But I'm hoping so - I only want 2 Danniks, but 7 or less of the other 2 (Myo, Gotal) so I don't need to find a lot of cases - maybe just 2 depending upon whether it's a straight cantina case or if Rabe etc. is in there.

So Jaff, what's happening at Wal-Mart? Are you going to get Coruscant late and screw Mos Eisley? When will you have either, if any?

Jaff
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I have to apologize, but I can no longer post inventory results on this thread. I appreciate all of you for taking part in it and I hope that it helped you to understand and consider the retailers and/or Hasbro. I can no longer answer any future questions pertaining to Wal-Mart or it‘s buyers. I will miss this thread, and I wish you all the best.

dindae
12-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I hope you didn't get in any trouble Jaff for helping people find the toys that they want at the store you work at. Corporations are so stupid about things like that. If anything the information posted here would help Wal-mart get more customers but I'm sure someone saw it as a security leak. Heaven forbid that a customer know when and where to buy something. :mad:

Val Da Car
12-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I agree with Dindae 110%.

12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Ha! I have to laugh, since I was ranting about this stuff YEARS ago, now it looks like others have finally gotten fed up, too. What to do? I didn't read all the posts, but I still blame Hasbro. If they would just offer their product on-line, the die hard collectors could get what they wanted without all the hastle, and kids could still get their stuff at the stores (I'm assuming here kids don't do much shopping on-line.) Just think how many tens of thousands of dollars ebay has made being the great leveler for crappy case assortments and weird distribution. I just dropped $300 for SW LEGOS, because I could on their website. Stupid Hasbro.

PS. I had to get Lobot, Liea, assortment on ebay because they didn't show up here in Sheridan, WY at all. Stupid Hasbro.

Kidhuman
12-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Jaff, thanks for the memories, and the heads up. I believe I type for everyone here and say "You did good". I understand and can read between the lines of why you cant post anymore, but like DIndae said, you were just getting money for your company and explaining how a system works. Tis a sad day when Wal-MArt toys 101 is closed. :cry:

Many :beard: 's to you Jaff for the help and knowledge.

TheCricket
12-08-2004, 08:48 PM
PS. I had to get Lobot, Liea, assortment on ebay because they didn't show up here in Sheridan, WY at all. Stupid Hasbro.
I agree with the sentiment--thanks to Jaff, and jeers to Hasbro. Having the inventory reports may have saved me a few trips to hunt. But I still make a lot of stops. Having numerous Walmarts and Targets in the area is both a blessing and a curse. I would love to be able to shop online or direct from EE if the case assortments were better.

After the new price hike, I guess I can save myself some trips to TRU.

Val Da Car
12-08-2004, 09:02 PM

you might actually want to read all of the forum posts to have a good understanding of the time invested in this topic.

As for the getting figures all you have to do is ask a forumite and you would be surprised at the results from the SSG community

JediTricks
12-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I hope you didn't get in any trouble Jaff for helping people find the toys that they want at the store you work at. Corporations are so stupid about things like that. I had the same thought.

If anything the information posted here would help Wal-mart get more customers but I'm sure someone saw it as a security leak. Heaven forbid that a customer know when and where to buy something. :mad: That's a good point. Galoob had its own web-based forums where they communicated with their customers, and were rewarded with amazing amounts of customer loyalty. Hasbro won't let their employees talk to the fans at all on the internet and isn't as forthcoming as I'd like in a handfull of convention appearances per year. It's too bad that employees of these companies get repremanded for conversing with customers rather than appreciated for all the extra time they put in.

Turbowars
12-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Why was my post deleted?

Tatooine5-0
12-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey Jaff...though you can't post inventory results any longer, let me know if you want the Cantina Waves UPC numbers. I will be happy to relay them to you.

LTBasker
12-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the heads-ups Jaff, if Wal-Mart is silencing you (pure assumption) that's stupid. I may just have to take my business elsewhere if they're going to do crap like that, I don't see how it can be wrong to let willing customers get a reason to spend their money.

JediTricks
12-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Why was my post deleted?
According to the moderating log, no posts have been deleted or split from this thread... ever.

Darth Alex
12-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I have to apologize, but I can no longer post inventory results on this thread. I appreciate all of you for taking part in it and I hope that it helped you to understand and consider the retailers and/or Hasbro. I can no longer answer any future questions pertaining to Wal-Mart or it‘s buyers. I will miss this thread, and I wish you all the best.
Jaff, thank YOU for all your help. While living in Williamsport, I often wondered who was making the Montoursville Wally World RULE above all other stores, now we all know it was because of your efforts.
On a side note, there are times when I could just BURN all my figures out of some sort of frustration with the hobby. Jaff, knowing that there are others out there with the same enthusiasm and passion for the hobby keeps things cool and indicates to me that there IS a future for the 'Wars. As an opener and a buyer of the Force who keeps his stuff not for the resale value, but purely for the pleasure of owning it, your posts have helped out a great deal.
Thank you.:zzz:

TheCricket
12-22-2004, 09:34 AM
On my weekend trip home I stopped at several Walmarts in the upper Midwest and almost all of them were loaded with the Madine/Gen Lando/ Han ATST/Bespin Leia wave. Usually 6 pegs completely stocked, and many had taken extra shelf space for them. More than one store had 10+ pegs full. And I saw maybe 2 Scanning Troopers, and a very few Bib Fortuna, Gam Guard.

What happened in Hasbro's/Walmart's distribution system to get such an unbalanced stock in so many stores?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Sounds like the Wal-Mart here in Bellingham, WA. Lots of Madines, AT-ST Hans, Bespin Leias and ANH VOTC. They have several pegs and a couple rows down they have several more pegs. So it will probably be a while before those POTC figs Jaff said were here get put out.

JawaJoe
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Yup, same thing here in SD. Every wal mart has nothing buy madines and bespin leias. Have yet to see a scanning trooper prolly never will.

Kidhuman
12-23-2004, 11:17 PM
I have not seem the generals, but I have seen a million scanning crew dudes the last couple of days. M ystores are stocked with CCP's, Lobots and Lando Skiffs.

Ji'dai
12-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Mostly Bespin Leias, Lobots, Rebel generals and the Fortuna-GamGuard-Hoth Vaders around here. The Vaders don't last long though.

I was talking to a Wal-Mart associate on another forum and he said that the Animated Clone Wars, Vader Voice Changer, and POTC are technically part of the Jan '05 mod so many stores may not put them on shelves until then.

Ric Olie
12-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Sounds like the Wal-Mart here in Bellingham, WA. Lots of Madines, AT-ST Hans, Bespin Leias and ANH VOTC. They have several pegs and a couple rows down they have several more pegs. So it will probably be a while before those POTC figs Jaff said were here get put out.

My local Walmart did the same thing. Nothing but those three figures. It's been a month and a half since they put them out and they're about half gone. A week and a half ago my Walmart put out about a dozen Galatic Hero packs which are all now gone. I snagged C-3PO and Chewbacca.

Today they had put out the 3rd wave of Clone Wars figure so I bought General Grievous.

DarthQuack
12-24-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't usually talk about Wal-Mart in high regard, but as of recent I can say they have supplied me well. I managed to find the latest Clone Wars figures along with the last line of OTC. I'm crossing my fingers that my luck keeps up so I can get the General and a Clone or two!

mastermatt24
12-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Any one know where Jaff went? :confused: :confused:

Kidhuman
12-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Jaff is busy this time of year. The last few weeks in a toy department is hectic.

mastermatt24
12-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I sure hope he didnt get fired or anything.. did he? :(

Kidhuman
12-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I dont think so, I really havent seen him around since he said he could not post here anymore. I just chalked it up to the holiday season and all.

DarkArtist
12-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey, I just found all of the 3rd season animated figures at the Walmart in Woodbridge NJ. I thought thses were only Target exclusives ????? I picked up two arc troopers, all the clone trooper colors and a greivious. :D

Tycho
12-25-2004, 11:54 AM
I thought they'd be closed on Christmas?

I'm phoning my store...

No one answers...

Did you find those animated yesterday?

Val Da Car
12-25-2004, 07:02 PM
I went to a WM near me that had the toy dept PILLAGED!!!!

I saw tags for the Animated series 3 but no other figures!!!

I am going tomorrow @ 6 am to mine....get for figs...maybe they found their case of POTC or more Imperial troopers.

boo yeah..

mastermatt24
12-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Good luck...
Im going hunting for hallmark stuff tomorrow. :)

DarkArtist
12-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Tycho,
I found the wave on Christmas Eve. Was very shocked to see them since they were only for Target ? :confused:

Tycho
12-27-2004, 12:12 AM
No. Now all stores (??) will carry them - or at least Wal-Mart and Target. I don't know about TRU.

In any case, what that means is that sales in the line will stagnate eventually, so we won't get more animated figures:

Mace - everyone has him already. Maybe they change the packaging, but that won't entice me to buy another one.

Obi-Wan - same story.

Ventress - ditto

Anakin - if they still ship the older one as well, it will sit.

And the new stuff will slow down quicker, because more stores will carry them. I mean if you get it at Wal-Mart, you won't bother looking for it at Target.

Too bad, as if this line would rock out, we could get clone-trooper Obi-Wan, Padme, Bariss and Luminara, C-3PO, R2D2, maybe Ki-Adi Mundi, Shaak-Ti, Kkruhk, and Aayla Secura, besides Kit Fisto, Mon Calamari, SurfTroopers, and Quarren commandos.

Uh, that is if Hasbro had been thinking they had a hit on their hands.

mastermatt24
12-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Uh, that is if Hasbro had been thinking
Come on... Hasbro THINK????? NO WAY!!!! :crazed:

Tycho
12-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm not sure if Jaff was thinking, and I'm surprised no one in this thread addressed this:

1) Wal-Mart could have gotten pizzed off at Jaff because one of you guys came in and complained they hadn't stocked something that Jaff posted your store had "in stock" (mind you that a customer could have bought a case outright or something since Jaff posted and you went there, etc. And someone piped up:"But on this website I have information on your inventory that I KNOW that you (at your local store) do not know," and they decided to find out just how their inventory was being made public. (Regardless of whether or not they "should" make their inventory public on the internet - which IS different than privately telling a customer).

2) Wal-Mart could have reviewed Jaff's Telzon scanner records or SMART system inquiries, and they could have had it out for him for making cross-country inventory inquiries, all on the same stuff on a regular basis (Star Wars) and wasting payroll time to check stuff for customers that did not even shop at his store, let alone in his state.

3) you guys could have driven Jaff crazy by asking, "well what about this store?" etc. and the list or the complaints if he forgot your store, was just getting ridiculous and Jaff wasn't enjoying himself doing this any more. (Why he didn't think that through FOREWARDLY before starting this thread is beyond me - or maybe he did and decided to TRY this, and then got sick of it). I don't know. Jaff and I only really talked during the Favorite Figures threads, though he started the Worst Figure Thread and I sort of participated, but wasn't keen on the negativity. So I don't really know the guy, but I figure if he liked me, I'd have had a private message or a post or something come my way by now.

4) But this is a site made up for kids and immature dorks who collect little plastic toys for ages 4 and up, so why would Jaff think that this group, especially with internet annonymity, would behave themselves and act like rational adults? Even the professional CPAs or attorneys we have coming here that act mature in their offices come here to act like spoiled little kids - so they might even be the worst ones whining to their Wal-Mart managers about what they think is in the back room - without enough experience Star Wars hunting (even after all these years) to know that by the time it's posted on the internet, whatever it was is all SOLD OUT. (duh).

5) In any case, whatever happened, while we're whining about our toys and acting like babies, we should wake up and realize that whatever Jaff plans to do with his life, our actions based on information provided here, AFFECTS HIS JOB.

I hope Jaff is doing well and perhaps it was only reason 3 above that caused his absense. I also hope he never gives up and gets a college degree and does an internship somewhere that'll give him salaried employment of over 30-40K a year and that he saves money, buys real estate, leverages his equity to buy income property, and then can retire, working in the real estate and money business instead of retail. If his plan is to remain with Wal-Mart until he's a store manager, or move up higher than that, well I know some that have made it that way too. They work awfully hard though. With my own desires to live a quality life filled with thrills and enjoyment, working hard is not on my agenda - working smarter for more money than those that work hard is more my style. That means using your more in your head and less of your time. But that's just my preference. There's no "right or wrong" in it. But conforming to a higher management authority is not a thing I've ever been good at.

Val Da Car
12-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Picked up the Wookie Senator & Sly Moore last night at WM for $5.88