PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side comparison of 1979 and 1997 figures

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Call me old fashion but I still prefer the old figures, the Royal Guard might be an exception though.

http://robbecher.www4.50megs.com/Figures.html

B'Omarr Monkey
10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
In a lot of ways I'm in agreement with you. This is why, when I first heard that hasbro was releasing vintage style figures this year (The VOTC line), I got very excited. In my mind, I thought they'd be making new figures in the style of the 1979 figures. These would be characters never made in the original line, especially PT figures. A vintage style Queen Amidala, Clone Trooper, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu, Darth Maul, and even a Jar Jar would have been much preferable to what the reality of the VOTC turned out to be.

I, however, have never liked the POTF2 Royal Guard. His arms are too long, and the difference in the red color and the maroon color looks weird.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2004, 06:36 PM
I think we've done this before in the POTF2 or POTJ sections, but here's my favorite vintage over current versions:

Emperor's Royal Guard (cloth cape, and movable legs; 'nuff said)
Jedi Luke (cloth cape [that wasn't an Iron Maiden coffin either], cool gun)
Star Destroyer/Death Squad Commander (not all scrunched up like having a stomach ache)
R5-D4 (uh, yeah)
Bespin Leia (although I haven't found the OTC version to make a true comparison)
Endor Leia (plastic cape and goofy legs just kill the POTF2 one for me)

Kidhuman
10-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I think some of the newer are better than the old, and vise versa. The Newer figures seem to have more definition to them.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I think the newer ones are definately better figures but I don't really care for the sculpts. They still seem to bulky compared to how an actual person would be.

Kidhuman
10-17-2004, 08:23 PM
I understand what you are saying EP. The newer figures look better, but the older ones were better as Toys and not collectibles

DarthQuack
10-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I love the old figures as well as the new but if I could have all my figures made any way possible I would have to go with Vintage-style.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
The newer figures look better, but the older ones were better as Toys and not collectibles

That's a good way of putting it. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Well, the Vintage line was meant to be played with, sure, rather than collected for investment or nostalgia's sake. However, the older ones were basically the same shape (straight), while the newer tend to duplicate some scene or pose from the movies. Even "army builder" figures usually have a pose. I can recall being frustrated at times with Han's bent arm, Cloud Car Pilot's "take a drink" arm bend, or Sand People's inability to hold weapons well. And I know I disliked the fact that most droids couldn't hold accessories. :ermm:

I would be all in favor of "Vintage style" new figures. That would've been cool for the OTC releases. See, Hasbro, we are willing to spend, but it's gotta be the right stuff. :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
It's got to be tough for army builders to have every figure sporting a "let's toast our drinks" pose. :) I much prefer the rigid pose rather than the current method.

Rocketboy
10-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Those are pretty cool to see, but damn, the new ones look like steroid freaks compared to the vintage.

I would also love some new vintage styled figures. I remember seeing a few custom ones a while ago (maybe a year or more) or Anakin, Padme, and someone else.

Slicker
10-18-2004, 04:26 PM
The only figure that I can think of that I would rather have the older version of is IG-88. And if you want to go with 12 inchers the old stormtrooper looks quite good even today.

Kidhuman
10-18-2004, 08:24 PM
The only figure that I can think of that I would rather have the older version of is IG-88. And if you want to go with 12 inchers the old stormtrooper looks quite good even today.

I wouldnt mind having the Emperor as well from the vintage collection. The 12" were much better back then as well. Han, Boba Ben, Vader, IG-88 and all were cool.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
As a kid I remember liking Han's bent arm. It made sense for a guy who used a pistol, plus it really fit recreating the Greedo confrontation scene. Happily I had the small head Han and not balloon head Han.

One of the other advantages the old figures had is that, for the most part, they could all stand up with no problem (C-3PO became very loose limbed, and I think it was one of the Bespin Guards who had a toe pointing problem that made him tip over). Also, everyone could fit in teh vehicles except for "Hammerhead," but he was a really shifty looking badguy (no gentle eu Ithorian here). Check out the sideways glance of his eyes.

Don't believe me, check out Plasticfetish's avatar.

Kidhuman
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Also, everyone could fit in teh vehicles except for "Hammerhead," but he was a really shifty looking badguy (no gentle eu Ithorian here). Check out the sideways glance of his eyes.

I always thought he was a bad guy. Thats what pile he ended up in when I seperated the good guys and bad guys. Another thing Geogre screwed up on.ou put these creatures in the most wretched hive of villiany and scum, and they are peace loving pacifists?

LusiferSam
10-18-2004, 11:49 PM
I always thought he was a bad guy. Thats what pile he ended up in when I seperated the good guys and bad guys. Another thing Geogre screwed up on.ou put these creatures in the most wretched hive of villiany and scum, and they are peace loving pacifists?
I think that came after the fact and George had very little to do with it. Its like the name Momwa Nader (or what ever stupid name we're meant to call him now) was made up years later by other people.

LusiferSam
10-19-2004, 11:57 AM
I completely agree with the statement that the definition is better on the modern lines. And in many cases the sculpting, paint, or accessories are better. I've try to look at everything and then made a decision. In many cases Kenner got it right and Hasbro keeps falling on its face. In other Hasbro pulled a head. And is some Hasbro persistence has paid off.

Chewbacca: POTJ and later versions (ok not the Saga one) are great. POTF2 versions are bad.
Luke Skywalker: Ď95 version was terrible. Each subsequent version has gotten better.
R2-D2: Modern
Princess Leia Organa: You've got to be out of your mind if you think the '95 version is better. Later POTF2 and POTJ were ok.
Han Solo: Ď95 version bad. CommTech version very good.
C-3PO: Ď95 version pretty good.
Stormtrooper: Ď95 version bad. CommTech version rocks.
Darth Vader: Ď95 version sucked. Most later version kick a. Saga and sliver version the exceptions.
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi: Iím still not happy with any version of Ben. OTC version might be the best.
Jawa: Vintage all the way. Two legs
Tusken Raider: Vintage. Because he can hold the gaffi stick right.
Star Destroyer Commander: Look at the pose of the POTF2 version.
Hammerhead: Shifty eyes vs. the best sculpting of the early POTF2 line
Power Droid: POTF2 version was pretty good.
R5-D4: Need I say anything.
Snaggletooth: POTJ version was pretty cool
Greedo: Modern ones are better.
Death Star Droid: The answer depends on which droid weíre talking about.
Walrus Man: POTF2 was easy better.
Luke Skywalker X-wing Pilot: There isnít any good version of this figure that Iíve seen. Theyíre all bad.
Boba Fett: Itís hard to beat the nostalgic value of this figure. The POTF2 and Saga versions canít, but the 300th version can.
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues): Iíve not been to happy with any of Hasbro tries for Bespin Luke.
Bespin Security Guard (white): Both POTJ ďwhiteĒ guard are pretty bad. The carded version has great accessories, but the vintage wins.
Rebel Soldier (Hoth battle gear): Vintage, only because the POTF2 version has the He-Man look going.
FX-7: POTJ version kicks a
Han Solo (Hoth outfit): The POTF2 version sucked (brown coat and open hand). I'll assume the blue coat Saga version was ok.
Lando Calrissian: '96 version was pretty bad, but the POTJ version rocked
Stormtrooper (Hoth battle gear): I really hate the vinyl cape and how it attaches on the vintage version, but I not sure I like the POTF2 version better.
Leia Organa (Bespin gown): The sad thing is there has never been a good version of this figure. I guess the PLC version is the best.
Bossk: POTF2 version and latter are better
IG-88: Same, literally.
2-1B: Vintage version has two legs. And two are always better than none.
Yoda: Who knows how many tries Hasbro has made at Yoda and the vintage version is still the best.
Ugnaught: Two leg.
AT-AT Driver: About the same.
Lobot: Look that pose of the POTF2 version.
Dengar: POTF2 version was lame. But the Saga (or OTC, I donít remember) is the clear winner.
Han Solo (Bespin outfit): POTF2 version was real bad. The POTJ one was great.
Rebel Commander: No real modern version
Imperial Commander: POTJ version was great
Leia Organa (Hoth outfit): Leia has a real hard time is the modern lines. Iíll go with vintage version
R2-D2 w/sensor: I don't know the POTF2 version does it all.
C-3PO w/ removable limbs: Vintage limbs are easier to remove, but POTF2 one has a better pack plus the head comes head.
4-LOM: Close but the POTF2 version just pulls out a head.
Zuckuss: POTF2 version is too rusty looking and leg too far apart.
Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot
Bespin Security Guard (black): No modern version.
Cloud Car Pilot: I havenít seen the OTC version yet.
AT-AT Commander: Tough call
Luke Skywalker(Hoth Battle Gear)
Bib Fortuna: POTF2 version looks fat
Ree-Yees: POTF2 version is better
Weequay: Vintage version is pretty good, the sculpting on the POTF2 version is better.
Emperor's Royal Guard: Two legs and cloth capes. Who cares if their not right.
Chief Chrpa: No modern version.
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard): POFT2 version bad. Saga version hard to knock
Luke Skywalker (Jedi knight): Cloth cape, gun, and the only vintage version of Luke to have the right colored lightsaber.
Leia Organa (Boushh): SOTE version has the thermal detonator.
Logray: Tough call. I think theyíre about the same.
Squid Head: A holster just can't compete with a cloth cape and skirt.
Klaatu: Has Hasbro made a modern Klaatu yet?
Gamorrena Guard: POTF2 version looks odd to me.
General Madine: Love Madine as a kid, but I think the Saga version kicks a.
Nien Numb: Old and wrinkled vs He-Man look?
Rebel Commando: The modern versions are all better
Biker Scout: POFT2 version bad. POTJ version, I like the holster.
Admiral Ackbar: He-Man look vs. shrimp look?
Nikto: POTF2 isnít too bad
Klaatu (Skiff Guard) : Again, POTF2 isnít too bad
B-Wing Pilot: Hasbro really hasnít made a true modern version.
Han Solo (trench coat): Has a cloth coat
Teebo: POTJ version rocked.
AT-ST Diver: POTF2 has the He-Man look
Prune Face: The vintage cape is better, but POTF2
Wicket: In the modern versions Wicket is too tall.
The Emperor: Two legs
Rancor Keeper: Tough call. Iíll go with the POTF2 version.
Leia Organa (combat poncho): Cloth poncho and removable helmet.
8D8: POTF2 version has the torture rack, but the one arm is messed up.
Paploo: Look at the pose of the POTJ version.
Lumat: No modern version
EV-9D9: Both are pretty good. Vintage has the crazy jaw action, POTF2 has an accessory.
R2-D2 w/pop-up lightsaber: Vintage, hands down.
Han Solo in Carbonite: The block maybe more accurate, but the vintage one is just cooler.
Warok: No modern version
Imperial Dignitary: This dignitary hasnít been made (right?)
Romba: No modern version
Barada: POTF2 is better. The vintage one has the He-Man look.
Lando Calrissian (General Pilot): Cloth cape.
Anakin Skywalker: Hard to say, but I think the POTF2 version is better
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper): Peanut head vs He-Man?
Imperial Gunner: POTF2 has the He-Man look.
Luke Skywalker (battle poncho): A cloth poncho beats a plastic one any day.
A-Wing Pilot: About the same.
Amanaman: These two are about the same. But the POTJ comes with a skeleton, too cool.
Yak Face: Vintage is less are cartoonish.
Sy Snootles: Cartoony CG vs. Muppet?
Max Rebo: About the same.
Droopy McCool: About the same.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
One of the things I liked about the vintage Jawas, and this is going to sound strange to those of you familiar with my anti-soft goods position, but when you took the cloaks off, the empty cloaks stood well on their own, and you automatically had a second Jawa.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-19-2004, 05:18 PM
I don't think those pictures are really accurate representations of how much the figures have changed. I mean, they almost seem to have changed more from 1995-2004 than from 1978-1995! If they were going to do something like this, at least use good figures (not the He-Man versions).

B'Omarr Monkey
10-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I agree with you, JabbaJohn, about the initial waves of POTF2 figures. With the exception of the Stormtrooper, R2 and 3PO, they are a bit of an anomaly. I was actually thinking, that when I get around to putting all my figures out on display again, I'm going to have to segregate this into their own little display area. They don't really fit into the modern line any more than the Ainmated Clone Wars, or vintage figures do. I think of the 1st Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Obi-Wan, and Darth Vader as prototypes of what was to come.

JON9000
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I should take my own advice!