PDA

View Full Version : Which of these vehicles & playsets would you most suggest to Hasbro?

JediTricks
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
It's been a while since we saw a glut of vehicles and playsets. While the classic Kenner Star Wars line had a significant investment in both playsets and vehicles as cross-sale items to push more action figures, times seem to have changed, and in the modern age Hasbro has certainly exploited the action figure side, but has been slower with the vehicles and almost non-existant with the playsets. In that time, we've had additional scenes added to the Classic Trilogy and 2 additional films, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. While TPM did see a few playsets and vehicles, there were significant entries overlooked or poorly-represented; and far too little was done with the wealth of potential from AOTC.

While there are certainly many other options that could have been used, this poll's options represent a bit of a cross-section of vehicle and playset concepts that haven't been covered before, since the Prequels have been around only a short time, there are more options from them than the OT. So this poll is presenting you with 10 options of various vehicles and playsets from throughout the first 5 films and asking which 1 you would most tell Hasbro that you'd like to see.

special thanks to stillakid

Kidhuman
10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Death Star playset by far. Especially if it was along the lines of Stillakids design that he posted awhile back.

The only one that i would want more is an ISD playset.

JediTricks
10-18-2004, 09:14 PM
This was Stilla's poll idea, yet strangely he neglected to put that Hangar as one of his options, I basically thought up that option at the last minute as a fill-in since I had 1 more slot and wanted a universal OT playset for the slot. I didn't know/remember that he even had an idea for a DS Hangar playset. :D

I had a hard time deciding between a Star Destroyer playset and a DS Hangar, I went with the Hangar because Kenner did a kinda weak ISD playset back in the day and I wanted all of these options to be fresh (I'm not counting that R2 D2 carrying case playset as the Trade Fed, it's just not quite good enough). In fact, I was going to put the AOTC Naboo Royal Yacht in there originally, but felt it was yet another AOTC item and just wasn't exciting enough to include in this list, even though I'm sure there are folks who want it or Dooku's Solar Sailer.

Bacta Beast
10-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Dang It!!! I Want 'em all!!! Why can't Hasbro just give us what we want and make them all! Including Dooku's Solar ship!!!

Ji'dai
10-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I voted for the Emperor's Throne Room on DS II. A close second would be the DS hanger, but that would be pretty boring I think. It's just a big empty space.

An Echo Base playset would be awesome, with bays for a couple of speeders, a tauntaun paddock, medical bay with slot for the POTJ Bacta Luke, and command center with an open slot for Gen. Reeiken's tactical screen (maybe come with one or two screens already). Hasbro could re-release those Hoth Deluxe sets for those who missed them. Ion Cannon & generator, Turret with Probot, and Imperial Attack Base sold separately :D

The Imperial Star Destroyer, Cloud City, and the Rebel Base on Yavin IV would be cool too. The vintage MicroCollection Cloud City was awesome. Too bad we can't get modular playsets like that in 3-3/4" scale.

Vehicles/playsets from the prequels just don't excite me.

Kidhuman
10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Vehicles/playsets from the prequels just don't excite me.

I agree, they arent the same. Especially the playset ideas. The vintage ones were much better. The prequel ones just seem lame

stillakid
10-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah, the Death Star and Star Destroyer!

I think that when i originally suggested that poll, I had in mind items that had never before been produced in any form which would account for them not being listed.

However, the poll as listed was difficult. It was a toss up between the AOTC Queen's ship and a new Death Star. In the end I went with the Death Star for a couple reasons. The first being that it would (hopefully) be cool. The second is that realistically, we have a better chance of ever getting another Death Star and practically zilch at ever seeing the AOTC ship. Though cool as hell, I don't think Hasbro will ever ever ever produce it. Bummer. But the DS would be great, especially if done "right."

LusiferSam
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
I had a hard time deciding between a Star Destroyer playset and a DS Hangar, I went with the Hangar because Kenner did a kinda weak ISD playset back in the day
Kenner never made an ISD playset. It was suppose to be Vader's Star Destroyer which was a Super Star Destroyer. Any way whatever you call it (;)) it was very lame.

I voted for the DS throne room. It just sounded better than the hanger. But I'd be glad to see either. And I'll agree with kidhuman and Ji'dia about the prequels just do much for me when it comes to vehicles and especially playsets.

stillakid
10-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Kenner never made an ISD playset. It was suppose to be Vader's Star Destroyer which was a Super Star Destroyer. Any way whatever you call it (;)) it was very lame.

Well, yeah, they did make a Star Destroyer. Lame, yes. But a SD all the same. :ermm: I'm thinking of taking mine someday and retrofitting it into something far cooler so that it looks like a Star Destroyer on the outside. A project for another time...

nellas
10-19-2004, 07:32 AM
I put my $.02 in for the Throne Room playset.

Just imagine if they did this right with working lights; The Emperor with his Thone (w/ lighted buttons); Awesome Luke & Vader sculpts; A pair of Royal Guards (given us a great sculpt on these please!); Imperial Dignitaries; Elevator; break-away gang planks; "shafts"; etc.

They have already given us some great individual figures so far but it's time to tie it all together now.

bobafett07728
10-19-2004, 08:35 AM
This was a tough one for me. Due to space limitations, I am starting to consider getting rid of some of my collection. Of course, the first to go would be the playsets, and large vehicles. . . simply because of their size. With that in mind, I doubt I would purchase anything large. . . regardless if I would want it or not. The Death Star II Playset would be sweet, and is long overdue. I see alot of people voting for the Sith Infiltrator, also. Wasn't this rumored thousands of times already? Hasbro must have some designs already in the works for that one!!!! But, based on my "space" issue, and the apparent cost of these items, I voted for the Podracers. I doubt this will get many votes, and will probably get last in the poll, but they would most likely be the most inexpensive of the options. I think the original Pods were $19.99 (although $14.99 is a better price point IMO,) so it wouldn't be a big ticket item like some of the other vehicles/playsets mentioned. I know everyone will bring up how the Episode I pods reached clearance. . . but EVERYTHING Episode One hit clearance. Also, 9/10 times the larger, more expensive items (which most of these proposed ideas would be) also end up on clearance. I've always felt that the Podracers would be a cool Fan Club exclusive, a main reason being that they can release them in a "Series" format, and continue the Podracer line for a little while. If I remember correctly, the pods came four to a case. . . why not release four different Pod's? You'll get variety, and you won't (hopefully) get an abundance of the Ben Quadrineros Podracer that shipped 4 per case, with 5 cases per store!?!?!? If it is done right (which happens once a blue moon), the Podracers could be pulled off. However, with Phantom Menace being six years old, (Jeez is it really that long!?!?) there will be much less interest at retail and a Fan Club exclusive may be the only place for the Boota Eve Podrace Collection to survive.

jedi master sal
10-19-2004, 09:51 AM
From the moment I saw the AT-TE, I fel in Lo....well maybe that's going to far, but I thought that vehicle ROCKED! I was so looking forward to seeing it as a toy. Of course it wouldn't truly be to scale with teh figures, but I still would have liked one. Now we're told that only IF they make an appearance in ROTS and play a big role, we MAY get this. Sheesh, if they made this well, I'd by 3 or 4 for $40 each. They'd looked great with my 283 clones, 4 Gunships, 60+ red Battle droids, 3 Hailfire Droids, 12 Spider droids, etc... I'm trying to make the best fan-made Battle of Geonosis around. I'll never feel it complete unless we get that toy! Ohh and if it were mechanized and electronic....Um, I think I'd wet myself...Well, that might be going a bit far as well too, HA HA.

Oh and what about the Homing spider droid too! This would be cheap to make AND they could make it walk. All four of the legs are the same (cheap cost because of mass production). The body sphere is nearly identical from top to bottom. Just put a battery case in there and some minor mechanics and BAM you've got a walking Homing spider droid. Could easily be done and retail for no more than $30-40.

Gawd, I should just design the darn thing and send it in to Hasbro. Such a missed opportunity by Hasbro with AOTC stuff.

Say, how's about setting up a poll for Action Fleet we'd like to see done?
Let's hope they make a comeback for ROTS! (Well, at least I hope so.)

-Sal

jedi-cpa
10-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Kenner did a kinda weak ISD playset back in the day

Wow you think? I had a great time playing with that set as is evidenced by that being one of the worst conditioned items I have today. The light in vaders chamber, the escape hatch, the pegs on the ceiling, the red screen for vader to turn to and talk with the emperor...I enjoyed that playset.

There are a lot of playsets I'd love to see. I was so pleased with the Endor sheild generator and carbon chamber...the death star ones were weak though.

My brother loves the arena, although the ledges really aren't built to play with...and the pegs don't make your battledroids stand...but I digress.

I am a MIB collector, so vehicles are always my choice, and so I would choose sith infiltrator...would display nicely I'd think.

thomasandrea-call
10-19-2004, 01:28 PM
I Agree with Jedi Trick, I think that there was a wealth of playsets from AOTC and TPM. I would have liked to have seen the Trade Federation Battle ship playset, along with that the NAboo Cruiser from AOTC as well as the AT TE. I also noticed that there were a few missing like from the Clone War Series, the Clone Trooper Fighters I would love to see that. I also hope that they will do the new Jedi Star Fighter from EP III as well as the new Clone Trooper Fighter. There where so many great ideas for playsets and ships that I could not vote for one. The Galatic Senate, Death Star II and Darth Mauls Sith were also great ideas,

The problem I would have is room for these things and as a former Wal-Mart Employee I think the question is having room for some of these items that would be in a high price range. All stores are limited to room and I think that some of these items would set on the shelf because of the prices. If you remember the Naboo Starship from the TPM sat on the shelf for quite some time. I saw in some cases that they had been marked down so that they would be able to sell. I think that these are great ideas that would be better bought off line from one source rather then seartching all these different stores trying to find them. This is based on the fact that kenner would listen to the collectors and put out some of these playsets and ships.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I am in agreement with BobaFett 07728 on some of the considerations. I've long suggested more podracers, both as inexpensive vehicles, and a way to give us more of the pilots themselves.

In spite of my desire for more podracer vehicles, I actually voted for the Bongo, because not only is this a cool vehicle, and one that should have decent play value, but I think it is in the high range of what price Hasbro would want a vehicle to cost (I'm figuring between $30-$40). It's also of a size that would not eat up major retail shelf space. Electronic light up elements would be essential.

I would also love to see an AT-TE vehicle, but don't think Hasbro's going to make one as it would be priced at between $75 and $100, probably closer to $100 since it would almost certainly wind up as a store exclusive.

What I'm hoping will happen, is that a year after ROTS has opened, and the focus will be once again, hypothetically, on the demands of the collector vs the imagined large kid base, is that Hasbro will start giving us more vehicles, at the rate of one per quarter or so, and with maybe one high end vehicle per year.

As for the playsets included, most seem dull, such as a Trade Federation interior, and the Death Star Hangar (what would be in there?) which sounds like it would be one of those folding vinyl mats that come with cheap plastic dinosaurs. The Throne Room from Death Star II is the only one that seems worthwhile. What would there be in a Bespin playset, unless it was a condensed version of the Vader vs Skywalker lightsaber battle set, with the room where Vader uses the force to throw things at Luke, and knock him out the window, + the gantry that leads out to where they have the "I am your father" moment. There are sections of the Death Star that could be made with good play value, though I'm still in favor of modular sets that can be connected and stacked. A good Trash compactor that can be played with, vs the bookends that Hasbro gave us a few years ago, with plastic trash, and a good dianoga; the detention block, with the command center, the corridor, Leia's cell, and exploding trash compactor escape path; the big anti-spacecraft guns manned by the Death Star Gunners would all be good.

Otherwise, there wasn't really anything on the list I wouldn't be interested in.

Droid
10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I am surprised people aren't talking about an Ewok Village playset.

Personally, I would like a bridge of the Executor playset, a PLASTIC cantina playset (with booths and a complete bar, forget the stupid stool/bar combos we've been getting) and a plastic Jabba's throne room.

Devo
10-19-2004, 04:07 PM
What about Jabba's sailbarge vehicle/playset? (for j'quille, R2D2 w/serving tray, etc)
Tantive IV vehicle/playset (for Antilles, fleet troopers, commtech Leia etc)
Yodas hut? (for the nice Dagobah figures we've gotten)
Rebel briefing room in ROTJ? (for ackbar, mothma, madine, lando general etc)
Yavin 4 war room? (for dodonna and other figures hopefully)
Star destroyer bridge as already mentioned (for bounty hunters, Ozzel, Vader even)
Proper scale Falcon interiors?
AT-AT and AT-ST cockpits?

I've got tonnes of figures and no contexts to put them in. Hasbro really need to return to playsets.

skeeziks22
10-19-2004, 04:31 PM
My choices were immediately limited because I hate playsets and ships that are way out of scale. I have one of the 6' TRU display Falcons... this is as close to in-scale with the 3 3/4" figures as we have ever seen. Even if trying to keep in line with the previous ships that have been made for the 3 3/4" line Maul's Infiltrator, Naboo ship, the senate, AT-TE, Federation battleship, Tipoca city, Death Star Hanger... they'd all be way too big, or just come off poorly (like the geonosian Arena did) because they'd have to be scaled down so much.

The only ones that made sense were the sub, podracers and the Throne Room. The sub and podracers weren't that exciting and the lack of playsets made me vote for the Throne Room.

You have the raised platform and stair case, Emperor's throne, the catwalk Vader cuts down, break-away railing etc etc... and you could have some cool pack-in figures... I'm thinking Vader in his "about-to-have-his-hand-cut-off" pose and Luke with burn marks and see-through face (similar to the Vader w/ removeable mask) w/electro-effects to wrap around the figure.

Jaff
10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
I went with the AT-TE even though I want to see them all made. I want the sith infiltrator but the truth is if it's not to scale I don't want it. It's not hard to make a scout walker or other such stuff to scale!

El Chuxter
10-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm stuck between the Sith Infiltrator and the AT-TE, but I think the AT-TE wins very narrowly.

I'd have considered a playset, but I can't think of too many playsets produced by Hasbro that didn't suck. The two TPM abortions were especially horrid, and I'd rather not see those depths of craptitude explored again.

Battle Droid
10-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Trade Federation Battleship

Slicker
10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
This has to be one of the toughest polls that I've have yet participated in. At one time or another I have probably thought of how each of these playsets/vehicles could be made. They would all be great but I'm gonna have to put money on the DSII Throne Room. Hasbro gave us the smallest taste of it with the Cinema Scene 3-pack now they just need to give us the whole thing.

dr_evazan22
10-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I decided to vote for something that I thought would have a better chance of getting made (AT-TE), rather then what I really wanted (Republic Senate) from that list.

With the AT-TE, if they were qble to give articulation to each leg, an opening cockpit - well, basically the same stuff they gave the AT AT, then I think it would be pretty sweet! It wouldn't have to be as tall as an AT AT. Plus, then hopefully we could get a drop ship [salivates!!].

But for the Senate, I think it would be really cool if it had sound chips in there, listening to the finer points of galactic law and procedure. I'd like it as a sleep aid, as sometimes I have some trouble falling asleep.

Didn't vote for DS playsets as they weren't whole sets, and they wouldn't be scaled correctly, most likely.

DarthDave72
10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I'd like to see Hasbro remake the Death Star. The original was great but not all that detailed. Maybe Hasbro could make it in sections that could keep the cost down. You could have the detention center with the cell block and cells the next level could be the trash compactor which could be stacked on the detention center. You could have two sections make up the hangar bay one side could have the blast doors where Obi wan and Vader duel and the other could have the control room where the droids hide. You could even have the bridge for the swing across. A playset that comes in sections and interlocks.

decadentdave
10-20-2004, 12:04 AM
We have all been waiting for years for Hasbro to do another Death Star playset and finally get it RIGHT. I'm all for a series of interconnecting playsets similar to the vintage Micro World collection but on a 3 3/4" scale. Each playset would connect to form a larger "base" and I'm not talking about those lame Death Star playsets they did for POTF2 i.e. Detention Block Rescue and Death Star Chasm... these would be very detailed. The Emperor's Throne Room from the DS2 playset as well as a DS Hangar playset to accommodate the Millenium Falcon or Imperial Shuttle vehicles. A really good Trash Compactor with "Motorized" garbage smasher! How about an "Electronic" Tractor Beam playset with working display lights and authentic movie sounds. A decent Detention Block playset with cellblock and Leia's prison cell. Imperial Meeting Room to re-enact the Motti choking scene.

Of course, I would love for a series of interlocking playsets to continue with Hoth Echo Base and Bespin Cloud City. We DESPERATELY need a decent Carbon Freeze Chamber akin to the Micro World playset with working elevator and "Quick Change" chamber to transform captive Han into a frozen block of carbonite. Bespin Gantry playset to re-enact the infamous Vader/Luke duel. Even the Cloud City Dinner Chamber for the old surprise visit from Vader and Fett compliments of Judas Calrissian himself.

Vader's Star Destroyer with Bridge Playset featuring working lights and doors
and "Holographic" transmitter and Vader's Meditation Chamber and "Holographic" Emperor display featuring authentic movie voices.

And how about a REAL Mos Eisley Cantina Playset Hasbro!!! Forget the lame bar pieces that came with the K-Mart sets and make a fricking REAL playset!
And I'm not talking about a plastic base with some flimsy cardboard backdrop either. I want Wuher's full bar, a stage for the Bith Band, several tables including Han's... even an electronic "Droid Detector."

As for vehicles, there are several that have yet to be done, including the rumored Cloud Car and Sith Infiltrator. How about the Rebel Transport... and not make it a poor excuse to sell another collector's case. What about the various Landspeeder's seen on Tatooine? There are also several that could use new scale/molds, including the Falcon, Tie Fighter and even the AT-AT.

There are TONS of possibilities that Hasbro has not even explored. Hurry it up will you Hasbro? I'm starting to get old.

X13VADER
10-20-2004, 06:21 AM
i voted for the ds hanger. i am big into the imperials. although because of room constraints i would like to see more small things. i wish they would make doors,walls,chairs,computer terminals,rounded corners for the cantina sets.i would like to see the round computer stations for the death star troopers in star wars. back in the day i was a kid i used lincoln logs for hallways and lego for computers. i would likethem to make generic wall sections that i can buy as many or little that i wanted.same for doorways. so if i had the room i could build a huge deathstar layout or a tantive ship with the hallways. a cloud city or a hoth base.but anything they build for the imperials i am on it.

OC47150
10-20-2004, 07:19 AM
I picked the Emperor's chamber, but any playset would do.

I think it would be cool if Hasbro made a floating platform from the Senate.

megaprime33
10-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Definitely the emperors room on the death star. But I would add another choice and have Jabba's sail barge. Have it be a ship that can fold open to be the playset inside.

Devo
10-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Despite all the rehashed core characters of late Hasbro has also made a lot of 'collector/diorama builder' orientated figures this year. Is it at all likely, should Hasbro return to the idea of playsets, that these would be detailed, accurate and close to in-scale replicas of the film sets rather than kiddie orientated missile firing simplicities? Would we ever get an emperors throne room playset if Hasbro couldn't find an excuse to add firing missiles?

Darth Alex
10-20-2004, 02:37 PM
These ALL should have been made by now.
I agree with the Jabba's Sail Barge idea, however, I picked the DS II playset. I'd like that right about now.
Playsets as exclusives with VOTC style pack in figures would sell, I'd bet. If the playset or ship is that big seperate it into a multi-part item, sold seperately.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-20-2004, 03:12 PM
There have been a lot of good ideas here and some outlandishly impactical ones. Bespin carbon Freezing Chamber to scale with working lights and elevators as one example. Why not have it actually carbon freeze Han while you are at it? Electronic Trash Compactor, as well. What happened to the imagination part of playing with toys? Now we expect them to do everything for us and to be exact in every single detail? I recognize that most of us aren't actually "playing" with these things, but for all the unrealistic expectations, I say learn some model making skills and build your own, or hire someone to do it for you.

Does anyone actually expect Hasbro to produce a Yavin IV Rebel Hangar to scale with room to dock six X-Wings, six Y-Wings, the Millennium Falcon, electronic Astromech Droid boarding ports, etc.? It seems like an extreme example, but when I see people hoping for a to scale Millennium Falcon, I wonder how they think something like that could ever happen?

The cost of shipping just one to any retailer who couldn't possible have a way to display it, would be prohibitive alone. Forget manufacturing costs, or how you'd fit the thing in your car, no matter what car you drive. Also, are you going to leave it MIB? If so, why do you need one to scale anyway? Does this also mean that if your TRU only has one, and the corners of the box are crumped, or the box face is scuffed, you are going to pass on it, hoping to find one in perfect condition? It's never going to happen. Build your own, or commission someone to build one for you. It will be cheaper than if Hasbro made one for you.

The same thing goes for the Imperial Conference Room from ANH. Do you really think that any retail chain is going to look at a plastic table with chairs around it (that's not aimed at girls) and say, that's a great idea, make it an exclusive for us, we'll order hundreds of these! Maybe as two different Cinema Scene packs, this would happen, but I doubt they'd be big sellers either. They'd essentailly be two half tables witha bunch of old guys in nearly identical uniforms sitting around a table.

I'd love to have a plastic cantina. I can see it being done in three parts with an interconecting base.

part 1 would have a wall of tables/booths that contains the entrance w/droid detector.

part 2 would have the entire bar w/center plumbing (missing from the cinema scene sets.

part 3 would have the tables/booths from the other side of the bar as well as the bandstand

For the restrooms, you're on your own.

Each set could come with one exclusive figure, and we're all happy.

There are plenty of playsets I'd love to have too, such as the Lars Homestead, but I don't suspect that there'd be enough interest in this to warrant making it.

there are a lot of vehicles I'd like to see like the Lars family speeder, and that weird droid looking craft in Mos Eisley that we see the dwarf looking over as Luke parks outside the Cantina (It's behind Obi-Wan on the OTC card). But would these sell? Maybe if no other new vehicles were offered. Otherwise...?

In one sense this poll is a dream poll. If you could force hasbro to make anyone thing what would it be. I'd love a Jabba's Sailbarge made to scale, though I doubt I could afford it.

On the otherhand, it's also a poll that considers what's actually plausible to expect Hasbro to make, in which case a to scale Jabba's Sailbarge would be out of the question.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Kenner never made an ISD playset. It was suppose to be Vader's Star Destroyer which was a Super Star Destroyer. Any way whatever you call it (;)) it was very lame.I considered it to be the same thing, but you are right about which one it was supposed to be. Weren't they all the same set in the movie though? :D

It definitely seems quite lame to me: http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=917

And I'll agree with kidhuman and Ji'dia about the prequels just do much for me when it comes to vehicles and especially playsets.I dunno, there are some ideas that I might like to see fleshed out, but I guess none of them really would be terribly exciting for me. I guess that's the same with the current voters, except for the Sith Infiltrator and the AT-TE, the prequels which are a majority of this poll's options are getting few votes.

Honestly though, I would like to see a Tipoca City playset if it were done right, maybe a Bongo, Trade Fed playset, and an AT-TE as well, but none as much as either of the Death Star playset options listed in the poll... scratch that, I just looked, apparently I voted for the Tipoca City option and forgot. :D

Just imagine if they did this right with working lights; The Emperor with his Thone (w/ lighted buttons); Awesome Luke & Vader sculpts; A pair of Royal Guards (given us a great sculpt on these please!); Imperial Dignitaries; Elevator; break-away gang planks; "shafts"; etc. Heck yeah! This is exactly what I'd want to see, even without the figures really. This is a sort of playset I'd really like, all detail, no giant missiles or pointless gimmicks, just movie-accurate fun with a few neat features.

JMS, do not tempt me with ideas of Action Fleet polls, I could do those till the cows came home. :p Sadly, Hasbro still seems adamant about strangling the line to death.

As for the playsets included, most seem dull, such as a Trade Federation interior, and the Death Star Hangar (what would be in there?) which sounds like it would be one of those folding vinyl mats that come with cheap plastic dinosaurs. Aw man, I really liked the idea of the DS Hangar. It could have the lift-pit with cover, the computer terminal that R2 and 3PO deactivated the garbage masher from, several opening and closing doors - one of which Vader and Obi-Wan could be dueling behind - a partial hangar opening, and the control room and hallway that overlook the hangar. You could use it for ANH or ROTJ.

And the Trade Fed interior had some of the best action in TPM, could have a waiting room, a main hallway where the Battle Droids get cut down and Droidekas roll into action, and a bridge with armored door that Qui-Gon cuts through.

I'm still in favor of modular sets that can be connected and stacked. So am I, definitely. Could make an entire Death Star with hallways playsets connecting various rooms and elevators, a little like what Kenner's Micro Force (is that the right name?) stuff was going for.

This has to be one of the toughest polls that I've have yet participated in. Me too, it was very tough just to set it up because there really are a lot of great ideas out there for these sorts of things. Then voting was none too easy as I really wanted to see a lot of these (done RIGHT of course, which is a tough call since Hasbro hasn't had the best luck in that department).

Kidhuman
10-20-2004, 08:05 PM
I dunno, there are some ideas that I might like to see fleshed out, but I guess none of them really would be terribly exciting for me. I guess that's the same with the current voters, except for the Sith Infiltrator and the AT-TE, the prequels which are a majority of this poll's options are getting few votes.

Honestly though, I would like to see a Tipoca City playset if it were done right, maybe a Bongo, Trade Fed playset, and an AT-TE as well, but none as much as either of the Death Star playset options listed in the poll... scratch that, I just looked, apparently I voted for the Tipoca City option and forgot. :D

JT, look at everything you basically listed. They are vehicles. When you get into playsets, there arent any. Look at the vintage stuff, we had playsets that rocked. Vehicles that were superior IMO to the stuff put out today. Hasbro needs to put playsets out of "areas" not a hallway or a bunker frame. The Geo playset was a wall. No depth to it. It was bunk IMO. Vintage stuff rocked, and believe me it would sell

Devo
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
It seems like an extreme example, but when I see people hoping for a to scale Millennium Falcon, I wonder how they think something like that could ever happen?

The cost of shipping just one to any retailer who couldn't possible have a way to display it, would be prohibitive alone. Forget manufacturing costs, or how you'd fit the thing in your car, no matter what car you drive.

...well its not like I wanted a Falcon thats to scale with me just one that'll go well with my little figures ;)

Seriously though of course you're correct on all counts. Large vehicles to scale with figures and other vehicles can't be done. Playsets to scale with many large and small vehicles can't be done.

However the Geonosis war room sets sort of gave me hope that we might get the death star conference room (albeit with a smaller table than is in the film) and a Yavin war room both with new figures. Foolish though it may be I think I'll hold out hope for these.....I hear Morgan Freeman saying "let me tell you something Andy...hope can be a dangerous thing". Incidentally my name is Andrew.

I think I'd accept an AT-TE thats not quite as tall as the AT-AT but a bit wider. I don't think its implausible - out of the price range many parents are willing to pay for their child if its not a birthday or Christmas but we all know kids don't want Star wars toys anymore ;) (I'm only being diplomatic with my " ;) ", I really do believe that.)

As for smaller vehicles in the films I also don't think proper scale is entirely implausible - surely the Desert Skiff could be made to scale with the number of people (with room to swing a lightsaber maniacally) they carry in the film. I've said it before but I'd take one the size of our present B-wing in its landed position. Likewise the AT-ST. And even if an AT-ST can't be to scale with figures we still need a redo, the present one is just crap, lacking in detail, wrong shaped head, wrong side mounted guns etc.

My other wish has always been, not for a scale Falcon but for parts of the ship - the cockpit most obviously - that are to scale with figures and done accurately. Is this unreasonable? I don't see why this would be less bankable for Hasbro than a barely recognizeable framework "death star chasm" playset. If I'm wrong correct me.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
JT, look at everything you basically listed. They are vehicles. When you get into playsets, there arent any.I'm not sure I understand you KH, might you clarify?

Look at the vintage stuff, we had playsets that rocked. Vehicles that were superior IMO to the stuff put out today. Hasbro needs to put playsets out of "areas" not a hallway or a bunker frame. The Geo playset was a wall. No depth to it. It was bunk IMO. Vintage stuff rocked, and believe me it would sellI don't totally understand you here either, but I agree that these facades are no excuses for real playsets, the Geonosian Arena was like HALF of a He-Man castle, just a wall like you said. And the POTF2 Death Star Detention Block was half a halway and a tiny half of a cell, no wonder it never sold.

Kidhuman
10-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Okay, to me the only true playset is the Tipoca one. The ohters, Bongo, AT-TE, and Trade Fred, would be vehicles. Tipoca could be a real nice playset, if done right. A Trade Fed to me will always be just a vehicle that you can stick figures in. If they broke it down into lets say, conference room, Bridge and hallways, sold it as seprate units that could combine into one big ship, then that is different. Same for the AT-TE, it would be a massive vehicle that figures fit in, almost like the rebel transport carry case/vehicle.

Look at the vintage playsets. Hoth had a few things. Turret, Ion Cannon, Hoth playset, Imperial Attack Playset,and some other mini things. Put those all together and you had yourself a good time with them. NOthing Hasbro makes comes close to these playsets. Whoopie, we got a cardboard diorama of Jabba's Palace a few years back. WHere the heck is his throne? We got a Bunker playset from ENdor a few years ago, wheres my Ewok village to match it? Hasbro needs to group "themed" playsets together.

Even the one shot playsets Like Tatooine sold. Look at Dagobah and the Ewok village. They all sold because they had good playability. These playsets nowadays, I could use a bed fram for a Bunker playset. No wonder no one wanted to spend the money on it. A few popsicle sticks and glue with paint and you have a better one, as well as a full tummy.

Vehicle/playsets are bad for two reasons. One is scale. The dang size of them is ridicously small. How many figures fit in the cockpit of the Falcon? 0. thats how many.
I passed on it becuase of its size. If I spend that much money, I would rather buy the vintage one and get some good playability out of it. The other is price point. You are paying for two things in one shot, ANd both are crap. The size is off, you cant do much with them.

If Hasbro went back to making playsets like the Ewok Village or even went with themed playsets, then you could do alot of different things with them. I would rather spend 100 bucks on 4 decent scaled playsets abnd a carry case for the figures than a AT-TE carry case for 50 bucks. that doubles as a vehicle/playset.

plasticfetish
10-21-2004, 02:41 AM
For simple "fun" value, I voted Republic AT-TE.

Trade Federation Battleship -- I'd dig this, it could have a bridge and a hanger bay and all of that. They'd have to start putting out more battle droids to fill it. I suppose it depends on this thing showing up in ep.3 again. (Something like it maybe.)
Maul's Sith Infiltrator -- I'd like it, but they should have done it a long time ago.
Bongo, Gungan Sub -- Same thing. Unless it shows up in ep.3 again, I don't think they'd consider it.
other Podracers -- I'm not into this idea now. They should have done more ages ago, but it's too late now.
Republic Senate -- I want it, but it'd make a really boring kid's toy. I could see them putting out maybe one hover platform, but not a set.
Naboo Royal Cruiser -- Wasn't in the movie very long.
Tipoca City, Kamino -- I really wanted this, and still think that they could do one, but it has limited play value. Not much action happened here in AOTC, but it'd be a cool looking thing to have.
Republic AT-TE -- Here's the most play friendly thing on the list I think. They should have put this out instead of repainting the gunship. A kid could use this in tons of different scenarios, and it's always fun to have a vehicle that multiple figures can ride in.
Death Star Hangar -- This one's a strong "maybe" for me. If they did it right, then it'd be great, but if they half-***ed it, then it's be horrible.
Emperor's Death Star II Chamber -- Would look cool, but it'd have some seriously limited play value. How many times can a kid have Vader toss the Emperor to his death? Hmm... maybe I'm wrong. ;)

I'd really love a decent Echo Base set with light up interiors, or a more elaborate Moss Eisley set with good exterior space. What kids (and me too really) like, are sets that can involve the greatest variety of figures. Bases and cities are cool because you can land your ships there, fill it full of aliens, and stage little battles all over it.

megaprime33
10-21-2004, 07:33 AM
I'd really love a decent Echo Base set with light up interiors, or a more elaborate Moss Eisley set with good exterior space. What kids (and me too really) like, are sets that can involve the greatest variety of figures. Bases and cities are cool because you can land your ships there, fill it full of aliens, and stage little battles all over it.
I agree entirely. I think what Hasbro should do is like go with one of these choices, like Echo Base, or Mos Eisley, and build multiple small sets that all connect to one big play set. That way they make more money, and we dont spend tons of money buying a huge *** playset. And for those of us who have snowspeeders and AT-AT walkers, the echo base would be fantastic!

jedi67
10-21-2004, 09:39 PM
:mad: all this talk about new vehicles and play sets is all nice and some are great ideas. BUT lets be more creative like how bout makeing characters and vehicles from some of the comic books of starwars. instead of puting the same old characters on different card backs. or if hasbro keeps doin that at least better articulation like on those super poseable clone troopers now there was an awsom idea and as far as characters go heres a good one a super poseable boba fett with a removeable helmet revealing his true identity!! (jango's head) and as far as vehicles go how bout more speeder bikes and or swoops and other speeders ENOUGH OF THE OLDIES LETS GET CREATIVE HASBRO

B'Omarr Monkey
10-21-2004, 10:29 PM
My other wish has always been, not for a scale Falcon but for parts of the ship - the cockpit most obviously - that are to scale with figures and done accurately. Is this unreasonable? I don't see why this would be less bankable for Hasbro than a barely recognizeable framework "death star chasm" playset. If I'm wrong correct me.

I actually suggested just this thing in one of the other threads. making playsets of the cockpit area; the interior where the chess board, excuse me dejarik console is and where Luke practices with the training remote; and perhaps one of the gunner stations (better than the ones they did make) would be a good way to go.

It beats trying to box up a ship with a 6' diameter.

Something else I'm noticing on some of these is the choices that suggest that a regular tabletop, or floor won't do. The Death Star Hanger is a prime example. It's a big open area there's not a lot to it. Why's it so desirable. Wouldn't painting a sheet of plywood do the same trick?

I feel the same way about an echo-base playset. The sense I get is that what people really want is the trench area where the rebel soldiers were shooting at the AT-ATs. Do you really need plastic snow? Would you be satisfied if it were, say just one or two snowbanks, so that the rest of the box could be filled with freestanding turret and dish cannons--batches of them, as well as perhaps a bunch of Hothe rebels, even if some of them were preposed with little articulation like the Clone Trooper 3-packs? This seems to be a better deal. I'd happily pay $35-$40 for a box of cannons and soldiers.

I have the vintage Hoth playset, and loved it enormously as a kid. I don't know that I'd pay $25-$30 for one if they rereleased it. I doubt many of you would either, since their are so many concerns about scale and screen accuracy.

Deluxe box sets of accesories I think would be preferable to many of us over some playset possibilities. Instead of the Rebel Hanger on Yavin IV, wouldn't you rather have a set that comes with a couple of those crew transport sleds, maintenance equipment, ladders for boarding the X-Wings, fuel lines, crates of Han and Chewie's reward money (what ever happened to that money, anyway?) and some rebel technicians, than a plastic rock base with a bunch of sculpted on details (think the Rebel Pilots 3-pack base on a large scale)?

mrpauldeeds
10-22-2004, 06:01 PM
i dont really collect the play sets....but a death star throne room would be sweet, thats where my vote lies. AT-TE is the most plausable though. i can see that getting made before anything.

JediTricks
10-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Okay, to me the only true playset is the Tipoca one. The ohters, Bongo, AT-TE, and Trade Fred, would be vehicles. Well, the Bongo and AT-TE both say "vehicle" next to their entry, so I always thought of them as just a vehicle, and the Trade Fed (or "Trade Fred" to you ;)) I put both "vehicle" and "playset", thinking of those entries like the Queen's Starship except leaning a little less on the vehicle side since the ship is just SO massive in the films. I mean, beyond the figure sections, there's the interior for landing the Republic Cruiser, for massing the troops, and for Anakin's fly-through, all of which we saw in TPM and all of which would be way too big to accomodate even just the Hasbro Naboo Fighter and/or AAT. Anyway, I think my confusion was mainly that you didn't consider the Republic Senate as a playset.

As for vehicle/playsets, I see where you are coming from, but look at the GI Joe line from the '80s, Hasbro did so many awesome vehicles in that line with actual playset-like interiors, that is what I'd want to see from Star Wars vehicles.

BUT lets be more creative like how bout makeing characters and vehicles from some of the comic books of starwars. Yeah, but that's a DIFFERENT poll. ;) We unfortunately have a loooong list of wants from Hasbro and they've been slow on the uptake. The EU seems to be slowing in interest ever since the prequels started coming out, and Hasbro has had fairly poor showings with EU toys in the past (though that's in no small part due to their own bungling of the toys themselves rather than the concepts behind them).

Kidhuman
10-22-2004, 07:24 PM
As for vehicle/playsets, I see where you are coming from, but look at the GI Joe line from the '80s, Hasbro did so many awesome vehicles in that line with actual playset-like interiors, that is what I'd want to see from Star Wars vehicles.

I whole heartedly agree there JT. Some of those playsets were huge and we know Hasbro has the capabilty to make a good playset. BTW if you collect G.I. Joes still, check out Dollar General if you have any. 2 bucks a pop at the one by me and they had plenty of them. Decent selection as well.

mastermatt24
10-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Would love an AT-TE but.. For those that werent at CC hasbro said it would cost to much to make. I think that is a bunch of B$. Even if it would be a costly thing to make, judging by the people here, I think that it would more than sell good.. Wasnt the Gunship costly for them to make?? I think that did really well.. anyways I hope they make it and maybe with a super poseable clone pilot!! :D Wait a minute.. was I just dreaming again?? :confused:

kool-aid killer
10-24-2004, 01:14 PM
I voted for a Death Star Hangar playset. It would give my baddies a place to hang out at, and it could interact with other vehicles. The possibilites for this seem to be more appealing than a Trade Fed. ship/playset or another Naboo starship. I wouldnt mind an AT-TE too, but just as long as it could hold some troops inside.

swfan1977
10-24-2004, 06:54 PM
If GIJoe can get a USS Flagg, then why can't Star Wars get a decent Star Destroyer or Jabba's Sail Barge?

mastermatt24
10-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I dont follow GI Joe so I dont know what your refering to but doesnt Hasblow make GI Joe?

Ji'dai
10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
I dont follow GI Joe so I dont know what your refering to but doesnt Hasblow make GI Joe?
Yep. Inspired by Kenner's success with the Star Wars line, Hasbro re-introduced GI Joe toys in 3-3/4" scale, but with greater articulation. The USS Flagg was an 7-1/2 FOOT(!) long aircraft carrier scaled to accomodate the figures It was released in the mid-80s. It's got to be one of the largest vehicles/playsets made for any 4" figure line. I think many would love to see something like that made for the modern Star Wars line.

I did have a Flagg that I bought at a yard sale years ago, but I sold it to my cousin when I lost interest in Joes.

LusiferSam
10-26-2004, 11:00 AM
If GIJoe can get a USS Flagg, then why can't Star Wars get a decent Star Destroyer or Jabba's Sail Barge?
Price. The Flagg is almost 20 years and was made in a time when playsets sold well. I was look over at YoJoe (http://www.yojoe.com/) for info on the Flagg (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/85/ussflagg/), but they don't list the prices. In any case I'm sure we're taking about a $100 or more toy in 1985 :eek: . And I'm sure if Hasbro were to make this today (from scratch, not just rereleasing it) it would be $200 or more :eek: :eek: . There are few parents would be willing to spend that kind of money on a toy these days.

We give Hasbro a lot of grief about why they don't do this or that. But they do know something about marketing. And we, the collectors, are just not a big enough market to develop and sell a playset/vehicle that big to. Sorry but those are just the facts :cry: .

swfan1977
11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I think price wouldn't matter that much considering Hasbro doesn't seem to make enough exclusive vehicles to go around anyways. Even if it cost $250 there would be enough of us nuts to sell them out of all 150 they would make.

Case in point, I'm still looking for a Y-wing and Skiff.

I can't see a Star Destroyer or Jabba's sail barge being too much more difficult (or costly) than the Royal Naboo Starship

Kidhuman
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
I can't see a Star Destroyer or Jabba's sail barge being too much more difficult (or costly) than the Royal Naboo Starship

Just think of how huge it would be. The lower half, where Jabba sits, would need to be big enough for him to fit in and a bunch of figures. Then you have the deck. BIg enough for the gun, Luke and a bunch of baddies. On thop of that is the Canopy. It could very esily get to 3 feet wide, 18 inches tall when all is said and done. Muc hbigger than the Starship

OC47150
11-04-2004, 07:20 AM
I can't see Hasbro releasing anything costing more than $100, even in a movie release year. Look at how long the Naboo starship and AT-ATs sat around on the shelves at that price. I would have to think long and hard before coughing up that much money.

Some sort of Star Destroyer playset would be cool.

I'd like to see interconnecting playsets, like the hanger bay and generator room from TPM, but with more detail and substance. Like the SD bridge and Vader's meditation chamber, or a hallway.