PDA

View Full Version : Possible lead for Superman film chosen?

JEDIpartner
10-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Brandon Routh Cast as Superman - UPDATED!!
Source: Latino Review October 16, 2004

Latino Review claims that unknown actor Brandon Routh has been cast in the title role of Warner Bros.' Superman, to be directed by Bryan Singer:

The man who Singer has picked to play Clark Kent/Superman is none other than a relatively unknown actor by the name of Brandon Routh (Seen here in the photo to the right dressed in his own Superman outfit on Halloween last year).

Brandon's name has appeared on the web as being a possible contender a few month's ago, but most recently appeared on this Iowa based TV website.

For more on the report, hit the link above. You can check out his stats here and more pictures on Routh's official website.

UPDATE!! - We checked with our own independent sources at WB and they confirmed that Brandon Routh is indeed cast as Superman. Our sources added that they don't know when Lois Lane will be cast. They also threw in tidbits that Superman writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris were recently spotted on the WB lot going through stacks and stacks of Superman comic books, so it appears that they are going back to the source material for inspiration. Our sources also confirmed that General Zod will be involved in some capacity. More to come!

Source (http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=2115)

Hellboy
10-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Pretty cool that they decided to go with an unknown. I'm not familiar with any of this guy's work but someone told me today that he was on "The Young and the Restless" for awhile. Not sure if thats true or not.

Wonder who they'll cast as Zod?

JON9000
10-19-2004, 06:12 PM
I wonder if Zod's costume will get changed or if he will still be sporting the iconic blue oyster bar attire?

KNEEL!

www.generalzod.net

scruffziller
10-20-2004, 11:06 AM
That dude looks pretty close to Tom Welling.

JEDIpartner
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
He's a little more ethinicky than Tom. This guy is of Latino descent. Interesting go with not going total white bread on the choice!!

Turambar
10-20-2004, 07:38 PM
That dude looks pretty close to Tom Welling.

Makes you wonder why Welling was never considered for the role.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 07:58 PM
This guy seems (and I belive is) younger than Tom Welling, that is my chief issue here. 25 is a very young age to play Superman IMO, the character seems to always be in his '30s in the comics. Dean Cain seemed like a young Supes too, but by comparison to this guy he seems much older now. I dunno.

BTW, this news was also on IMDB news yesterday.

scruffziller
10-21-2004, 08:37 AM
He's a little more ethinicky than Tom. This guy is of Latino descent. Interesting go with not going total white bread on the choice!!
OK, a latino Tom Welling.:)

KRYPTONITE!!!..... HAY CARAMBA!!!!!:D

JEDIpartner
10-28-2004, 10:49 AM
It's been confirmed.

Tycho
11-09-2004, 02:20 AM
OK, he looks like he can play the role, however I of course fully back Tom Welling and the rest of the cast of Smallville.

So why are they making this movie now, in light of the success of Smallville?

Granted the professional reason: Smallville does not own the Superman MOVIE rights, though they ought to have bought them considering their fan following.

So what is this movie going to do?

1) show the ship landing and Martha and Johnathon adopting young Clark? (we've seen the very best version of that ever on Smallville - so there's nothing new here).

2) show young Clark discovering his powers in some 10-15 minutes of that dedicated for this purpose in the movie? (We've seen what couldn't possibly be topped on Clark discovering his powers on Smallville).

3) Establishing Lex Luthor and his bond to Clark? That is done so well on Smallville - and only Gene Hackman (who is now too old) or Michael Rosenbaum - who is the best Lex EVER - could possibly pull that off.

4) Redefine Lois Lane again? (Topping Margot Kidder? You have to be kidding!)

5) Do this General Zod spin (without Terrence Stamp obviously - too old for action sequences now) and ignore Lex Luthor because of Smallville's total establishment of the character?

Look - the Superman legend in its official capacity has been redefined as far as I'm concerned.

SEE SMALLVILLE!

After one more year, Smallville will be ready for movies (by summer of 2006 or 2007 if they don't shoot immediately after the show wraps like Star Trek Next Generation did).

At Comic Con, the producers said (the year before this one) that Smallville would run 5 years on television. This is the fourth season (2004-05). The fifth would be 05-06. So the Smallville movie could successfully be pulled off in the actors' hiatus in 2006.

As a last plea, if the writers of the Superman movie actually plan to respect Smallville - and if you have an audience of the No.1 show on TV that's this dedicated, you are making a serious error by disrespecting them - Superman will not block efforts of Smallvilles to be the first to do a Clark vs. Lex Luthor movie.

Doing General Zod and not getting into Lex Luthor in their movie franchise might be the way to go. Doing an older, already established Superman.

Perhaps they could even co-collaborate and use footage from Smallville to establish early stuff as a promotional for DC's / WB's other property?

Then if they make this guy look seriously older than Tom, they can feature both in the same movie, and attribute the difference to age (if there is no obvious race difference for the actors).

Anyway, this is still just aggravating news for a hardcore Smallville fan.

I sure hope this works and doesn't rip off on my favorite tv show!

JEDIpartner
11-09-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm not a Smallville fan... partially because Tom Welling's eyes creep me out. Secondly... I don't like the Dawson's Creekiness of the few episodes I did see. Still... for what it's worth, I think they should have incorporated the actors from the show into this film.

And... you are absolutely correct. Margot Kidder wins the Lois Lane award... hands down.

JediTricks
11-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Tycho, they don't need to own the movie rights, Smallville is made by Warner Bros, same company that owns DC and the rights to make a billion Superman movies if they wanted.

I suspect they're doing a new Superman movie because they see Spider-man's successes at the box office and want a piece of that, it's often how these superhero movies work.

I truly hope the movie doesn't waste our time with more origins of Superman, we've seen it a million times now, we get it, the baby picks up the truck, amaaaazing! Everybody knows who Superman is enough to start the movie at the Daily Planet phase of the character's life.

As for Lex having a "bond" to Clark, that shouldn't exist in the film at all unless it's a Smallville-based movie. Hell, Lex doesn't even need to BE in this movie, he's got plenty of play in the Christopher Reeves films. Supes has his own rogues gallery, while most of them kinda suck, there's gotta be someone else besides Lex Luthor in there worthy of making it to film (and I don't mean lame-*** Nuclear Man or computer programmer Richard Pryor, though I would accept General Zod and his crew so long as they didn't wear disco outfits again).

Smallville has no real impact on the Superman lore for the majority of its followers (sounds like a cult of personality to me ;)), it is no different than Lois & Clark, Superboy, the '50s TV show, the Supergirl movie, or the various cartoons.

I would like to see the Smallville world expand past high school though, Clark eventually will go to college and travel the world learning who he is, I think that would make an interesting show, further building the character into a fleshed-out person rather than a red/yellow/blue cardboard cutout.

and if you have an audience of the No.1 show on TV that's this dedicatedI'm confused, are we talking about a CSI movie now? ;) (becuase it's the #1 show on TV)

darthvyn
11-09-2004, 03:57 PM
So why are they making this movie now, in light of the success of Smallville?

Granted the professional reason: Smallville does not own the Superman MOVIE rights, though they ought to have bought them considering their fan following.

nah, i think it's more that fans of the comics feel this show is a bastardization of the character.

So what is this movie going to do?

1) show the ship landing and Martha and Johnathon adopting young Clark? (we've seen the very best version of that ever on Smallville - so there's nothing new here).

wasn't new when smallville did it, either... and the first movie did it perfectly.

2) show young Clark discovering his powers in some 10-15 minutes of that dedicated for this purpose in the movie? (We've seen what couldn't possibly be topped on Clark discovering his powers on Smallville).

the original movie has already established this, too...

3) Establishing Lex Luthor and his bond to Clark? That is done so well on Smallville - and only Gene Hackman (who is now too old) or Michael Rosenbaum - who is the best Lex EVER - could possibly pull that off.

what bond? there is no "bond" between the two of them in ACTUAL continuity, besides the fact that they both end up living in metropolis and liking the same chick. other than that, lex hates superman because he's the only one who has the powers and abilities to destroy everything that lex has set up for himself.

4) Redefine Lois Lane again? (Topping Margot Kidder? You have to be kidding!)

i whole-heartedly agree...

5) Do this General Zod spin (without Terrence Stamp obviously - too old for action sequences now) and ignore Lex Luthor because of Smallville's total establishment of the character?

or use the actual establishment of the character as a metropolis businessman opposite clark's farmboy all-american... OR use a character far more powerful... DARKSEID??? how awesome would he be in a movie???!!! or maybe brainiac. always a cool character, with a horribly flawed name...

Look - the Superman legend in its official capacity has been redefined as far as I'm concerned.

SEE SMALLVILLE!

unfortunately it's not been redefined for everyone, which is ultimately the reason why the superman movie will not be in smallville continuity. all your following reasoning makes sense, but the movie will be more closely tied to comic continuity as to not alienate the hardcore COMIC fans. you see what happens when you do that: catwoman, batman forever, batman & robin (see a pattern here, WB???) and then you see what happens when you stick to the script: spider-man, x-men, blade, (see a pattern HERE, WB???) hellboy, the crow.

the script has worked for decades: 60 years for superman, 45 years for spider-man. when it ain't broke, don't fix it. there's enough material to pull from for at least 10 movies (judging by the fact that both of their comic continuities have had their flaws, i.e. krypto the super-dog or the [spider-man] clone saga...)

As a last plea, if the writers of the Superman movie actually plan to respect Smallville - and if you have an audience of the No.1 show on TV that's this dedicated, you are making a serious error by disrespecting them - Superman will not block efforts of Smallvilles to be the first to do a Clark vs. Lex Luthor movie.

no, they couldn't do that, as it's been done already!

JediTricks
11-09-2004, 11:12 PM
I suspect you guys are both wrong, this movie like many Warner Brothers films will be made for a mainstream audience, taking the most popular and well-known elements of the Superman myth and spinning that into a cinematic tale that fits with what everybody knows about the character. This may require re-imagining, a good director will make it work and a poor one will make it fail.