PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (maybe)

Tycho
10-20-2004, 05:53 PM
K-mart:

12 or more Cantina Alien 3-packs with Kitik Keed Kak, Evazan, Wuher.

Toys R Us:

Jedi Council and Geonosian War Room 3-packs.
12" Leia Boussh Disguise set from 2003 (2002?)
12" Han Solo / AT-ST Driver (from Lando Skiff wave)
12" Zam Wessel from 2002
POTJ Zutton figure from 2001

KB Toys:

$1.99 Han Solo Endor Raids etc. from Saga 2002
$7.99 Cloud Car Pilot waves overpriced that no one wants to buy
12" Gamorrean Guards sitting
Playskool original 'Galactic Hero style' Falcon WITH the Stormtrooper figure

Wal-Mart / Target:

Unleashed AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi "voted most unpopular Unleashed by fans"

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna
Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon
OTC Millennium Falcon
Princess Leia Bespin Gown

There are very few products here that I did not like and did not buy. 3-4 perhaps, but some of the stuff I really thought was cool is not moving.

What do you see as the mistakes?

What do you see will be the consequences for future SW waves - especially looking at the Padme / Pablo Jill group and the Cantina Aliens that will come out prior to the sneak preview figures for Episode 3?

Do you think SW sold more because of the DVD release?

What will effect will before-Christmas shopping have on Star Wars that's out or coming out now?

Turbowars
10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
One mistake has to be case assortments. Pack cases even unless there are army builders in the case. Hasbro really has a problem with what will or will not be pegwarmers. The thing is, it doesn't matter how bad a figure is if it is packed 1 per case. It will be stated as rare and everyone will eat them up.

I'm not to sure if the DVD release sold more than normal. I didn't see anymore people than I usually see at the pegs. I think the packaging had a huge part in it. I really thought we would see more product at retail. I assumed stores like Best Buy would have the figures right by the DVD, but nope, Hasbro missed out there. I even thought my local grocery store would have had a floor display like back in the 90's.

I honestly think the packing is driving this line at this time. I mean I rarely see OTC on the pegs. As long as there are a few new figures in the cases and the packaging is appealing, Hasbro should do well.

Jaff
10-20-2004, 08:09 PM
I've seen all the products that Tycho has mentioned in abundance in the places he mentioned and it's no surprise. Like Turbowars says it's all in the terible case packing. But in the words of the great Fred Sanford, Hasbro is no dummy.

They are milking us just like they did with Episode I stuff. As of this November Hasbro is going to release some incredible stuff: Myo Wave, Yarua Wave, Sandcrawler, two new jedi council packs to complete the set, and they are going to keep making fantastic stuff till March. Myo is in December, and at least two unnannounced waves are coming. they're building the hype now, and then BBAAAAMMMM - Episode III floods the market. During March and April up to their release we will all be bitting our nails because of the great stuff out there, and many will buy up all the garbage sitting on the shelves now. Then we will have to deal with peg warmers for awhile until they finally get ready for the final SW push with the post episode III Star Wars line. Right now we're getting ready for the the final and most exciting lineup to come! Soon they won't be able to depend on the movies to clear out the old stuff. Soon they will have to depend on packaging, quality and case orginization to sustain the SW line. I'm curious to see what happens.

And think your right Turbowars, the packaging is currently keeping the line alive. The OTC line has caused me for the first time since Episode I to collect packaged figures again. I'm such a sucker, but I'm a happy one!

Kidhuman
10-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Case asst is a big part of this. I also heard that both Hasbro and Mattel lost big in 3rd quarter sales. Maybe people are gearing up the holidays or they are not getting enough of a different product out there.

Casew asst's have pretty much sucked. The OTC were decent, but the ones people want are packed short or canceled. The scanning crew guy was canceled in his first wave which means he will be harder to find now. Hasbro really needs to fix this situation.

dindae
10-20-2004, 08:43 PM
My take on these

Cantina Alien 3-packs with Kitik Keed Kak, Evazan, Wuher.

While everyone wanted to see these released so they didn't have to shell out buttloads of cash on ebay to get them. They are not on par with the rest of the line right now so once the completist rush was done they will start to sit. I honestly haven't been to a K-mart in a while so I don't know how bad it is here.

Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002

Any lose on these figures was made long ago so it should impact new figures.

KB Toys:

KB is always overpriced which is why I never shop there. I don't know about the 1.99 hans but they constantly get in crap that nobody else sold and sell it dirt cheap. Playskool falcon was too much for collectors to pick up as a novelty side to their collection and kids small enough to enjoy the figures probably are as excited about Star Wars as much as us big kids are to push most parents to pick up a $50 set.

Wal-Mart / Target:

I wouldn't be suprised if one of them dropped this line. Honestly I think the line would do better with a more limited release.

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna - old guy figure look at valorum and senator palpatine

Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon - see above

OTC Millennium Falcon - I think this will sell better around Christmas but the fact that Hasbro used the same sculpt was a big let down for me.

Princess Leia Bespin Gown - I can only guess that it is because it is a female figure that isn't in any action scenes.

Ultimately I think things are fine. I remember fearing the OTC because I thought that many recarded figures would clog the shelves. But they have been selling very well. Most of the things you mentioned here are exclusive or really really old so I don't forsee this having an effect on the main line. Now I'm sure we will have our usual terrible time finding figures in the early months because of returns and stock counting. But I believe this is toys in general because parents are usually in finacial recovery mode after Christmas.

Tycho
10-20-2004, 09:27 PM
My take on these

The blue snagglethooth set better make it out before X-mas with K-Mart having room for the order. Parents are far more likely to buy the set with Obi-Wan Kenobi than all but die-hards who want the vintage collection totally redone and are after the blue snaggletooth.

Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002

The fact that they are sitting there, might discourage TRU from ordering more. We've discussed in the Words from Wal-Mart thread how many retail managers don't notice any difference between Luke and Padme so if Star Wars is in stock, it's in stock. They look at them like bananas, the only difference being that old stocks of bananas would have to be refreshed sooner!

The 3-pack situation is the worst, as Shaak-Ti sitting, as well as the first figure of Adi Gallia available for some new collectors, and the final floor sections etc of the Jedi Council, all will be hard to find, as is free shelf space in light of the room taken up by the Geonosian War Room and earliest Jedi Council scenes.

12" Collectors should definitely have to deal with more conservative ordering for E3 items including General Grevious.

KB Toys:

The 12" Gamorrean was SWEET! Chewbacca is going to be KB's new 12" Exclusive. Hopefully a 12" Chewie done right finally! Again, will KB order enough in light of the fact that they still have 2003's Gamorrean Exclusive hanging around (or was that a 2002 figure?)

If Playskool (Galactic Heroes) ships flew off the shelves, maybe those of us who are fans of big ships for the little figures could get an AT-AT, Republic Gunship, or Slave-One finally. We don't even have a TIE Fighter!

Wal-Mart / Target:

I wouldn't be suprised if one of them dropped this line. Honestly I think the line would do better with a more limited release.

I tend to agree with you. They are more a specialty item. However, I saw some adult GI Joe collectors at Target the other day, and they were looking at Obi-Wan of all things saying "That's cool. I don't do Star Wars, but maybe I'll buy one of those." I think they did because Obi-Wan Unleashed is gone from this Target finally.

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna - old guy figure look at valorum and senator palpatine

Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon - see above

OTC Millennium Falcon - I think this will sell better around Christmas but the fact that Hasbro used the same sculpt was a big let down for me.

Princess Leia Bespin Gown - I can only guess that it is because it is a female figure that isn't in any action scenes.

[QUOTE=Dindae]
Ultimately I think things are fine. I remember fearing the OTC because I thought that many recarded figures would clog the shelves. But they have been selling very well. [QUOTE]

Yes, I noticed that the packaging change has spurred a lot of consumption of figures. RS just did a report on "How many Han's?" as Solo - CommTech / Cantina originally - will be recarded again on another OTC 'scene-back' and released just prior to Episode 3 in one of the last 2 assortments Jaff was referring to (the other being E3 figures in the sneak preview wave). I guess Hasbro finally learned how to sell Han (put a picture of the Falcon behind him, and his ship makes him famous!) :rolleyes: I'm a Han Solo fan so I can't say I'm sincerely rolling my eyes, but I didn't buy any of these Hans myself. Heck, with the OTC and VOTC there might be up to 100 figures now that I never bought or never had interest in buying (if you are counting carded repackagings).

Anyway, next opinion?

tagmac
10-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002

Speaking of the 12 inch figs, Suncoast suddenly has a lot of the Jawa wave - and they're still sitting! Amazing - the Ewok wave was the only set a lot of people wanted, and it never hit stores in enough quantities to satisfy the demand.

Kidhuman
10-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Speaking of the 12 inch figs, Suncoast suddenly has a lot of the Jawa wave - and they're still sitting! Amazing - the Ewok wave was the only set a lot of people wanted, and it never hit stores in enough quantities to satisfy the demand.

I only wanted the Biker Scout and never found him.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
If you think back to other non-movie years, it was just as bad. In 2001, there were hardly any figures at all, except for the nine million X-wing Lukes that were discounted right away. And I don't really think that K-Mart's Cantina Set abundance is a bad thing. I mean, we complain if there aren't enough, we complain if there are too many! Geez. And for TRU and KB, those stores are sort of going downhill anyway, it's their own fault they haven't gotten rid of that old stuff. My TRU still has a lot of Royal Guards from 2002, they should discount them and then maybe I'll get some more. But it's only October, Christmas is still 2 months away, I think it will pick up again before then.

Slicker
10-21-2004, 05:29 PM
My take on these

The blue snagglethooth set better make it out before X-mas with K-Mart having room for the order. Parents are far more likely to buy the set with Obi-Wan Kenobi than all but die-hards who want the vintage collection totally redone and are after the blue snaggletooth.If it makes you feel any better I saw alot of this 3-pack at a K-Mart here in Virginia Beach and it doesn't look all that bad IMO.

Adam
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
"Unleashed AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi "voted most unpopular Unleashed by fans'"

So OF COURSE its one of the few unleased that I actually liked enough to buy..

B'Omarr Monkey
10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I have mixed feelings about the state of things right now.

As some of you may remember, I voiced some concerns that between the HOF figures and the OTC figures, the pegs were going to be clogged with the same repackaged figures on two different cards. Thankfully, that didn't happen. I'm not seeing many Saga cards anymore, except for the aforementioned Dodonna's and the sporadic Dutch Vander or who have you.

I am starting to see some pegwarmers in the OTC & VOTC collections. Not surprisingly good ol' commtech Han is one of them, followed by Spirit Ben, Dagobah Luke, and just recently Yoda, as well as Lobot, though he seems to be thinning out some. The VOTC Hans and Obi-Wans are still in abundance.

The problem for me though is that either the stores are not stocking any newer VOTC figures, or I happen to be missing them all the time, as except for C-3PO I don't have a single figure beyond the initial 4 offered.

In terms of the OTC collection, I've still never seen Bespin Leia or the Cloud Car pilot. I don't know how the waves/case assortments are broken down, since I'm pretty much sticking to new figures unless a new paint job knocks me out, but I've not seen Bespin Luke, Hoth Darth Vader, Madine, IG-88, Scanning Crew Trooper, or a number of others beyond Greedo, and the Scout Trooper. These may not have been released yet for all I know.

Most of those bits of deadweight from TRU -- at least the 12" figures are showing up in mutilated condition in those 50% shopping carts lining the fronts of the stores now. Peg warmer 3 3/4" figures remain on the shelves at full price. Go figure.

I don't things are currently in danger. I think the problem with the Cantina Sets is that 2/3 of them are repackaged figures. I didn't mind this with the Kitak Keedk'ak set as it made sense to release those three together, but when I saw what was in the second set, I couldn't believe it. Particularly since they are selling these for 20 bucks a pop. The Geonosis War Rooms and initial Jedi Council scenes were all new figures (well, a couple were partially new) for the same price. If they wanted to give us Nabrun Leids again to cut costs, for example, fine, but don't pack him with Labria and Takeel, or even Lak Sivrak and Ketwol, pack him with two new figures, one a popular Cantina Patron we are all interested in like Bom Vindam, or the Arcona, let's say, and maybe one interesting but more off the wall choice like the Stennes Shifter or one of the astronauts, or even the dwarf at the counter chuckling it up with one of the Saurins.

I just hope that after the initial waves of ROTS stuff hits, and sits on the pegs for a prolonged period of time, like last time, that this doesn't sound the death nell for the SW line. With the knowledge that this is the last movie, and that there will not be an Episode 7 three years down the road, store owners might not want to keep ordering SW product when they could be using the shelf space for whatever the next "hot" thing is.

Tycho
10-22-2004, 02:31 AM
As a sidenote, today I discovered the 2nd Cantina Set with the Blue Snaggletoothe at K-Mart (along with the Galactic Heroes Bounty Hunters and Stormtrooper 2-packs). There were 5-6 Blue Snag sets, and maybe 10 Kitik Keed Kak sets. The Obi-Wan, seeming to be Flashback, did look good in this 3-pack though, as did Ponda. I think parents might buy 1 of each set to complete a bar scene for their kids, as these look nice when seen in the stores together.

I bought 1 Snag set for a local friend. Didn't need it myself for the repeat figures - though I'd have bought a single-packed Blue Zutton if I'd had the opportunity.

aceguide
10-22-2004, 07:40 AM
I think Hasbro and the retailers are caught right now. For ages they have had merchandise they are unable to move. BUt the OTC cases are flying off the shelves. I have had very little luck with finding anything OTC out there at all. But there are plenty of $20 jedi packs.

Price is murdering TRU on the jedi scenes aswell as their multipacks. I am sorely tempted on each of the multipacks, but the $20 seems steep for mostly repacks.

Unleashed seem to move OK - but the last wave is sort of sticking around. I can't tell if it's because more were ordered or if fewer are being sold...

Watch out for x-mas with the bigger ticket items. While I alread have the Falcon the y-wing in on Santa's list...

Question - TRU had a Vader talking abnk - is this a new product??

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 08:28 AM
"Unleashed AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi "voted most unpopular Unleashed by fans'"

So OF COURSE its one of the few unleased that I actually liked enough to buy..
Yeah... I liked that one, too. I bought Han, Yoda and Obi-Wan.

aceguide
10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah... I liked that one, too. I bought Han, Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Han, Boba, Clone & Leia here.

JON9000
10-23-2004, 04:05 PM
The problem with a lot of this junk is that it is retreads with a single new piece (like the 4 packs) or low quality (cantina sets). A lot of it is overpriced as well. I was in TRU the other day and they had a spiderman doll with 64 points of articulation for $25, cheaper than Star Wars dolls.

If you give us good quality product (VOTC) at a decent price the fans will respond.

Ji'dai
10-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Question - TRU had a Vader talking bank - is this a new product??
As far as I can tell, it's the same one that was released a few years ago. Wal-Mart is also stocking SW Monopoly in OTC packaging (might have some new player tokens).

A Super Wal-Mart near me has nothing but SAGA figures, most from '02. The eight pegs they have devoted to basic figures are clogged with them. I've never seen basic OTC there, even during the week of the DVD release. TRU is also clogged with older product though new stuff was stocked to coincide with the DVD.

Aside from that anomaly and the situation at TRU, I have seen all the VOTC at retail; and all OTC except for the Scanning Trooper and exclusive Emperor of course.

Devo
11-01-2004, 08:50 PM
I really hate hearing about figures I don't have and really want pegwarming overseas - namely Dodonna and Vandar - send them over to Ireland dammit, forbidden planet Dublin, and I'll buy them up, well, one of each.

The major pegwarmers here (though they're actually piled on the floor not the pegs) are the 2 Jedi coucil sets with Obi and Qui-gon and that poxy Jedi warriors 4 pack. I'm also still seeing Aya vid (is that her name?,the twilek?), and Obiwan coruscant nightclub. The rest of the figures are a random assortment of backlog POTF2 and Episode I figures. Of the latter I've seen the pit droid 2 pack which I think I remember hearing was a hard-to-find item. I passed as I no longer collect prequel toys. So far from the OTC all we've had are the Bespin and Dagobah waves, annoying because I really want the imperial army builders and simply have no idea of when I could expect these to arrive, meaning I might well miss them...again

Darth Alex
11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I noticed this thread tonight and it seems like the PERFECT place to air a few opinions.

After reading all the thoughts in this thread, I think we're all in pretty much the same mind set. Ep3 figures/toys will do "great", buuuut the post-Ep3 time will be really scary as it will probably be bungled just as bad as the hobby is now. And...we're all still not finding what we want to right now and in any kind of acceptable quantity to a SW fan.

So to answer the question....yeah, I think the major retailers are gonna get slaughtered again by Hasbro come this spring when the film runs it's box office course.

The ebb and flow of cases of product in this hobby has had some horrible fluctuations.
When retailers buy the TON of stuff they are sure to, the usual mix of case assortment insanity will eventually drive the shelves to be clogged come the summer. I have no doubt that a LOT of people will buy SOME Ep3 figures.

BUT....let's face facts. I know that the days of a lot of collectors buying one of EVERYTHING in a particular line, be it 3 3/4" or 12" or both are OVER.

We have had ups and downs in this hobby since 1998.

Expanded Universe-not all figures showed up everywhere at retail, with current back market pricing in the $30-$50 range a figure.

R2/Holographic Leia-a figure that never had it's due at retail.

Hoth Leia wave-bungled at retail due to a literal OVERFLOWING SEA of dead stock.

Episode 1-all I have to type. The WHOLE thing.

And on and on, example after example of bad distribution....

Even typing this is probably as boring as rehashing it all is. And reading it, too.
Retail will get slaughtered with overstock. Always happens.

I have no faith that 2006 will prove to be anything but a bust at retail.
I can't find the Imperial SC Tech, the Gamorean Guard, Bib, even a lowly Biker Scout at retail, and RIGHT.NOW. Star Wars is at a real huge point of interest.

I've said it before, so here's once more: When the toy industry(Hasbro) treats the toys as toys, releases them similar to a structure the Music(CD) or Film(DVD) industry follows, they'd make a ton more money AND have mega retail support.

You can literally SEE how retail has backed off. Hands up, y'all, who thinks that the measly 51 OTC/VOTC figures should have been this hard to find? Ok, good, no one.
I can remember a time PRE-1999 when the figures showed up monthly like clockwork, army builders, extra figures, and gifts were no problem. With how bad the the Ep1 overstock debacle was, it's no wonder that some retailers don't even carry SW anymore.

These are the folks I used to be able to rely on before:

TRU
KB & Toyworks
FAO Schwartz
Walmart
Drug Stores(Eckerd/Rite Aid/CVS/finally, Walgreens)
Target(to a certain point in NE PA....better in some other BIG city areas)
Kmart/Big K
Boscovs(and for example Costo or Meijers if you got one near you)
Amazon.com(and other HUGE online stores)

and last but not always least

The Back Market-ya know, the mall toy show, the internet, comic shops, etc

NOW....how many of these people have said forget about it, SW doesn't sell?
Some of these retailers stopped carrying SW altogether, some are IN BACKRUPTCY to some degree, and FAO deep-sixed.
FAO and KB are a perfect example of why this thread was posted. They are just 2 retailers that would get burned by buying TOO much into Ep3 stuff.

Folks, I just got an Xbox(again...loooong story) and a copy of SW Battlefront. I had plenty of places to buy both the system and the game from. I had a blast today(no pun intended...) playing the game. It's great man, just great.
The enthusiasm I have for the game is bittersweetly met when I look at the photos that have now surfaced for the Ep3 toys. R2. Emperor. A cardback full of stuff I'd normally froth over.
However, go to ainitcool.com(no plug, just an example) and read the jedicouncil discussion. It (however harshly) compares Star Wars fans to battered housewives when it comes to the issue of let down expectations.
I am not so vulgar or crass as to suggest that I feel like I've been a "battered anything", but I draw an analogy. I loved collecting from the moment I started in adulthood in July of 1997. I've rode out devotely the highs and lows. I've posted. I've gone on pointless toy runs. I've called stores, Hasbro, wrote letters, done anything I could in the realm of almost obsessed fandom I could to get some SW figures/toys that I wanted. I even grabbed the Slave 1 from Target a month back only to find that it's not that great, and shipped to NE PA all of twice.
I really think WE'RE the ones that lose out when we get our hopes up that Ep3 is gonna be anything than just the next big thing in May for retail. Yeah, we'll all see the Sneak Peak 4 in February. Yeah, we'll probably have midnight madness in April.
But none of this fixes the fumdimental flaws and problems in the toy industry and the problems that Hasbro has.
$19.99 is now the average cost of a Star Wars figure. Go ahead, try to argue. Post it. Bring it. But....you know it's true. $19.99 is the online price of a new SW 8,9 times out of ten plus shipping and sometimes handling. Maybe you'll luck out and actually get a new POTC Cantina Alien from Amok for $15.99(still $20+ with shipping), maybe you'll get one cheaper from OMGCNFO.com(great shop, BTW), and maybe you'll run into the holyest of holys from way back, maybe you'll acutally find the new thing you want at TRU or Walmart. Or find it...oh, wait, outta stock and gone from Amazon.com again.
The point is with the inflated to 4 times the cost back market and lack of retail enthusiasm for a product that sits a lot we are not gonna be in for a smooth ride ever at retail or buying SW toys in general.
For all my ranting, it should be obvious that I feel passionate about collecting. I'm just tired of seeing things that should be easily fixed, NOT fixed.
Even when you find stuff at retail, how many of us HAVE to call the store to see if they got anything in or when the next shipment is due, or HAVE to go to TRU every friday around a CERTAIN time just to have a shot at something that COULD show up maybe.

After the mess that was the SA Clone case, my army building days were bye-bye. When I found out that the ultimate Stormtrooper(VOTC) would be $9.99 a POP to army build, I quickly shot that ghost of a notion down.

Widen the scope, how many stock orderers from retail think the same way?

Sure there will be areas in stores for ROTS merch. But, we all know how fast things move onto the next big thing. And look at the mountain of Spidey II stuff that STILL sits even after the movie cleaned up in the cinemas(on of the best US and Worldwide grosses, EVER) and will continue to sit after the DVD is pillaged from stores soon.
There's a good final point. Doc Ock and Kristen Dunst. Two big reasons why Spidey II was great. Great ideas for figures. So what does Toy Biz do? Short packs Ock in the basic figures line making Spidey look like the new Batman line W/O any villans to fight. Then they don't make a Dunst figure.
Look at the Marvel Legends. I WOULD have collected that line, had some of the figures I wanted not been one every 20-25 cases. WTH kinda nonsense is that? I look at the Marvel Legends and while they are some absolutely TOP NOTCH GREAT figures, the insanity to get some of em(either Phoenix....!) is just downright stupid.

Do toy companies want to sell mrore cases or are they just in business to drive people nuts? Star Wars will suffer the same fate it always does come next fall. The ROTS DVD will do nothing to drive retail figure sales and anyone, including me, who thinks otherwise can just look at the missed opportunities from the Ep1 video, to the Ep1 DVD, to the Ep2 DVD, to the current OTC DVD line. None of these retail opportunities were fully seized upon as they could have been. The ROTS line will show up, but once it faded, SW will largely fade with it.

When Toyfare/NY 2006 and 2007 roll around, it's gonna be interesting to see how much SW still is pushed and from what movies....

Even if the internet-rumored 2007 DVD/blue ray re-released of all 6 SW films happens, I don't think we'll have a better situation than we do for merch with an actual new movie. Even if in 2006 a network(why not HBO?) picks up a SW series and there are toys made, they could have the same half-hearted push as the CW regular/animated lines had.

Thanks for reading this EPIC rant, but again, I am not looking forward to RETAIL STRIKES BACK in the fall of 2005, that's all I'm pointing out.
Good day!

PS-How many of you are actually happy with the current retail situation?
I think it stinks and I've stopped supporting it. Look at the NE PA just found thread. Do you see me, Jaff, Sith Lord 0498 or anyone else posting ANYTHING anymore? No, you don't. Most of us don't look at retail like we used to, we ALL don't find things like we used to, and I'm not sure how many of us ALL reading this have our hearts still in the hobby. Toughing out a dry spell is one thing, but SW is one continuous dry spell. My 2004 wrap up and the various online sites 2004 wrap-ups better not be too rosy, lest Hasbro get the wrong picture....this year has been one of the worst for collecting. And why does it seem to get a little worse every year....?

Tycho
11-17-2004, 07:07 PM
I actually read your whole rant and agree with you to a great extent, Darth Alex.

However, a 7am shopper, I'm used to getting almost everything I want without much trouble. I have product now that I got from Wal-Mart almost 2 weeks ago - and from on the pegs - that I haven't seen widely posted about YET in the just found forums.

In the end, I think it is the case breakdowns that hurt Hasbro's retailers and collectors.

40 SA Clones came from 13 1/3 CASES.

Meaning

41 SaeSee Tiins
38 Kit Fistos

were left behind from my shopping (I bought 1 SaeSee and 3 Kits)

Actually, they ALL sold and rather quickly. But that's just the 40-something leavings of ONE army builder in ONE area.

I don't know if Kit and SaeSee ever stagnantly sat anywhere else, but they did not in San Diego.

Still, Hasbro could've packed the case with other army builders, or solid Clone cases...

And if Hasbro has to make "a certain profit margin" on every figure produced, then let them do it over longer terms, resurfacing the figure in later cases.

R2 with Leia Holo is a perfect example. Why not re-ship that figure now with the OTC?

dindae
11-18-2004, 08:43 AM
I don't know if I would say I am happy with retail but I would say I am satisfied. I haven't been hunting that much lately because I started with Kebco (although I may soon go back to retail but that's a story for another time). However even casually shopping (hitting places for exclusives and stopping by the toy ailse when shopping for other things) I have laid my hands on every OTV and VOTC at retail. I think Hasbro has a really fine line to walk. Kids and casual collectors aren't picking up what the more hardcore collectors leave behind the way they used to. Hasbro never had to manipulate cases back in '99 because as long as the new figures were shipped evenly no one cared and retail bought tons to keep us happy. We also had half to a third of a toy aisle in most stores so pegwarmers weren't as much of a bother. 10 figures didn't cause a clog because there were 200 other places for figures. Now 10 figures can cause a store to adjust their buying of new figures if not stop it. I think the OTC went well. Since most of these figures have been released before I thought it was going to jam the aisles up for months but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. VOTC didn't go quite as well. The first wave is sitting but the other waves seem to be selling better. I think Hasbro may be getting the idea about army builders looking at the Naboo 4 pack and the cantina alien case coming up. I think the problem with this summer is no one knows how well the movie will be recieved. I know it will rake in the dough but will the fans leave loving it and everything Star Wars. If so then no amount of figures will stay stagnant but if it gets the same reception as the last two then Hasbro would be wise to cut back on the amount of figures they produce.

Darth Alex
11-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Tycho, you make some good points.

Not to rant more, but a quick note.
I covered literally DOZENS of stores the 4th quarter of last year every single week.
I never even saw one example of the Tin-Fisto-SA Clone case.

It's just crazy how messed up the distribution and case assortments are.

Now, I don't want to blow cash needlessly, but if I order a case of the OTC I still need from EE and I never shows and I never find what I need at retail, then I end up at say Bryans, paying 2 to 5 times the retail cost of a figure.
This hobby needs a good makeover from Hasbro...

Tycho
11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Darth Alex, have you read Jaff's thread "words from Wal-Mart?"

It's very interesting and details the problems with getting stuff onto the shelves by region and by store.

I really the think the group participating over in that thread have done an awesome job of bringing about some understanding and suggesting some solutions.

tagmac
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
The case packing has been the biggest problem of them all. Remember the final days of the green carded figures, when you'd get 3-4 figures in each new wave, and they were always packed evenly at 3-4 per case, and only those figures. Finding them at stors wasn't a huge problem, and even online retailers were more than happy to offer full sets of each wave for a decent price. That all ended when Ep. II hit and you had the infamous Dooku and Luminara sets relegated to a single case assortment, while Anakin in disguise and the other lousy figures of that case were showing up in the same cases as the more popular figs everyone wanted. Just look at Entertainment Earth to see how many different cases are shipping of figures, especially the VOTC's. There's about 10 different case assortments out there, not one of which contains an entire wave.

And don't even get me started on KB. As I stated in another thread, the 12" Chewie grew on me, but it's gone from the website, most of the stores (all near me) are closing, and I fear it's gonna show up as 1-2 cases per store that will be held for and sold in the first 5 minutes of black friday. Wait til the ebay prices start skyrocketing for this one because of poor distribution. At the very least, starwarsshop.com should offer up Chewie for those of us collectors who didn't get to order him, to make up for the fact that KB is closing so many stores, and so it may be impossible to find at retail.