PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a Great White shark close up?

Exhaust Port
10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
I went to this aquarium years ago as a kid and loved it but they never had this there. They have a Great White in captivity.

Here's a webcam where you can watch their female shark in action.

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/efc_hp/hp_obw_cam.asp

There are a few other sharks in there as well but wait a minute or so and she'll go screaming by. Man, that is cool.

Anyone in California make it to the Monterrey Aquarium to see this?

<nerd alert> Just in case you didn't know this is also the same aquarium that was used in that Star Trek movie with the whales.

Tonysmo
10-24-2004, 03:17 AM
wow, cool cam!

They didnt have that when I was there ( been close to 10 yrs )

It was an awesome aquarium then though so I can only imagine its gotten better.

I try to make it to the aquarium in any state I visit. Ive been to many from the west coast to the east.
To this day though, my all time favorite is the Shed Aquarium in Chicago.

Im a huge aquarium enthusiast.

Exhaust Port
10-24-2004, 09:35 PM
I am too. The last aquarium I've been to was the one in the basement of the Mall of America in MSP. It's one of those ones where you walk through a "tube" that runs under the actual aquarium so you have the fish on 3 sides of you as you walk through. Pretty cool but there is a section called "Fish of the Great Lakes" which is incredibly lame as you can imagine.

"Look kids, a Bass!!!!"

DarthDamon
10-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Great now I have to cancel trip tp C3 and go to Cali to see this White Shark!
NOT!! Would be very cool to finally be able to see them in captivity..Thre White shark is the altament eating machine!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
10-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Never seen a great white upclose,Although I did go to Sea Worlds Terror of the Deep where you walk through the shark filled aquarium in the tube.That was awesome!

Exhaust Port
10-26-2004, 10:30 PM
In college I worked at the now disappeared Sea World of Ohio. They opened their Shark Encounter my first year there. It had similar specimens as the other parks but lacked the "tube". This Shark Encounter had a 20 foot tall aquarium wall that bent over the spectators as they were moved past on a moving walkway (imagine a half tube set up). Not nearly as cool as the full tube but still pretty neat.

I never worked in the Shark Encounter but did moonlight there when they were short help or someone just wanted a break. Man it was a blast. People use to come out of there with the dummest questions. Where's the Great White shark (not realizing the actual size of such a creature)? Why are the sharks eating all the other fish (as if that is all sharks do, eat)? Are they real?

After a while I would just explain to everyone that it was an animatronic exhibit and if you look close enough you could see the wires that suspended the robot sharks. :)

Turbowars
10-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Yes it is a very cool sight, but seems strange to have a Great White in captivity if every single animal has died in the past. Don't get me wrong these aquarium are very nice and I have been to the Monterrey and Long Beach a few times each, but don't think sharks should be in the tanks. Just MHO.