PDA

View Full Version : VOTC Boba Fett

JEDIpartner
10-21-2004, 03:57 PM
I dunno kids... this is a win/lose sorta figure here. I just found him this morning and I like certain aspects of it and other aspects of it seem just, well... "bad".

The overall sculpt really isn't bad. The ball-jointed head actually allows the helmet to look correct from the side. The colour seems to be a bit "off", though. There's not much detail in the paint. The rangefinder falls off like it does on all of the recent Boba Fetts, which is something I don't understand.

The ball-jointed shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles are amazing pluses to the overall sculpt. The backpack appears to be based off of the 300th Figure Fett's. The missile isn't removable on this one, though.

The thing that kinda ruins the figure is the odd chalky colour of the jumpsuit. I don't understand how, after all of the Boba Fetts they've made invarious shades of grey and Blue-grey, the stuffed this one up so badly.

It really is a nice but the whole colour thing makes it seem like a half-hearted attempt.

I suppose I'd give it a "B" or slightly less... but not a solid "B-".

Old Fossil
10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
I love the neck articulation, which allows him to **** his head to one side, as if thinking, "Should I take you in alive for the maximum bounty, or just blast you now and save myself a world of trouble?" :p

My only gripe with this Fett, as with the VOTC Lando and Stormtrooper, is the shallow peg holes. These are even shallower than Lando's. It would have been nice to be able to pose him in a "walking" position. :dis:

Old Fossil
10-21-2004, 10:13 PM
LOL... guess I should've said "turn" instead. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
10-22-2004, 05:03 AM
I dunno kids... this is a win/lose sorta figure here.I pretty much agree. I've had him sitting on my desk for a few days now, and I'm still thinking about this one. Mostly, I just keep wondering why he's so much shorter than the VOTC Stormtrooper.

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 10:04 AM
I haven't gotten the Stormie yet. I saw a fresh case of VOTCs (which I cracked open) at a local store but, unfortunately, it was a case packed with Luke, Han, Leia, Yoda and Vader.

Houdini
10-22-2004, 02:19 PM
The thing that kinda ruins the figure is the odd chalky colour of the jumpsuit. I don't understand how, after all of the Boba Fetts they've made invarious shades of grey and Blue-grey, the stuffed this one up so badly.

It really is a nice but the whole colour thing makes it seem like a half-hearted attempt.

I suppose I'd give it a "B" or slightly less... but not a solid "B-".

I think the Fett suit issue is analogous to the infamous Han blue coat/tan coat debate. If you take a look at the movies, in some shots the suit does indeed seem to have a bluish hue to it, while in others it looks more gray, and in some the suit looks almost white (as it is in the votc figure). This is probably be due to a combination of camera shots, lighting, and a change in actual suits during production (especially between ESB and ROTJ).

I don't know how to post photos, so check out these reference photo links:
white suit: http://www.tk409.com/images/fett/vest2/ref/2.jpg
gray suit: http://200.72.163.179:8080/cdref/0001_0100/Boba_Fett_027.jpg
blue suit: http://200.72.163.179:8080/cdref/0001_0100/Boba_Fett_008.jpg

If you check out the site in the last two links above, there are tons more photos where the suit's colors are all different including a clearly white suit that appears to be in a museum. Personally, I like the white suit combination.

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 04:34 PM
I think I might be better with the white suit it the rest of the paint apps were the proper hues. The other problem is that there isn't enough "exposed metal" showing on the helmet.

nomad
10-25-2004, 02:24 AM
I was excited about this line for the articulation and the accurate sculpts.

Sure, the pain job could use a lot more wear and tear for his helmet and all, but for the most part it is a great sculpt.

My problem is with a few of the articulation decisions.

I don't know why (Oh why?) they didn't just make him with the Han Solo articulation.

The wires on his right elbow are a great detail, but really interfere with the movement.
It would be so much better if they made the hands seperate from the forearms, thus able to rotate seperately.
The bulkiness of his pant pockets and his belt prevents you from really being able to raise his knees too high.
His hands are not molded properly to hold his gun.
I can squeeze it into his right hand, but it bends his thumb out a frightful amount.
I am worried about damaging it, doing that.

You really cannot get his arms to bend well enough... especially across his body.
A great pose for this figure would be to match the picture on the card.
Right hand on his left bicep... aiming his spray of fire.
Unfortunately you cannot get his right hand to reach that far across his body.
I blame that mostly on the swivel elbow articulation, as opposed to the swivel and bend elbow design that could have been used and kept looking well enough with Boba's outfit, IMO.

This could have been an absolutely amazing figure... instead it kind of sits on the fence... leading you to think of what could have been.

Jayspawn
11-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I really like the VOTC Boba Fett. He's my favorite of all the Boba figures so far! The rangefinder on mine stays in place very well -the articulation is good!

The color of the suit doesnt bother me much -I've reasoned that Boba has several changes of clothes in the Slave I. So its white/grey, blue, green whatever. Looks good to me.

I'll tell you this though -these are some expensive figures to open!!!

Old Fossil
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I'll tell you this though -these are some expensive figures to open!!!

You aren't kidding. I've been slowly assembling a complete carded and loose collection of these VOTC figures (save for Yoda and Threepio, carded only), and it is a definite pinch on my pocketbook. But God knows I'm all too willing -- I'd be in real trouble if Hasbro ever decided to continue the VOTC line, at the same $10 pricepoint!

vulcantouch
11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
. . .but the sculpting of his thigh pockets are unusually convincing! overall i like him a-ok, especially since i didn't pay $10 for him (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=359502&postcount=875) :greedy:

Jayspawn
11-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Looks like you found a way to beat retail again Vulcantouch.

vulcantouch
11-20-2004, 12:48 PM
also really dig how deftly executed the soft-goods cape is; their combo of ironing, tatters & spot-sewing a fold really lets it lay well real easy :cool:

Jaff
11-20-2004, 10:54 PM
All the ROTJ VOTC figs are just great and this Boba is just like the rest. I really like him allot, and I think he is better than the Saga version.

Devo
11-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Doesn't his head look a bit small to anyone?