PDA

View Full Version : Figure Prototypes!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
WOW! Palpatine, Dooku, and Bail all decked out with VOTC-style articulation, and even better sculpting! Looks like we'll be getting some great figures! These almost make up for the return of action features. Hopefully we'll also get the main characters with as much articulation, in addition to their saber-swingin' conuterparts.

jad
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Wow, those are pretty fantastic. I sure hope universal shoulder joints are going to be standard on this line of figures. It's nice to see some good looking prototypes as our first glimpse as well. I remember how crappy and dissapointing the prototypes looked when AOTC proto shots hit the internet.

These proto shots on the other hand, look very good. Just imagine how good they'll look with paint and detail. I for one am now very excitied about episode III figures!

SirSteve
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Well this bites... I've had these for several months but Hasbro has told us not to post anything E3 related. Enjoy these while you can as I guarantee they will be pulled tomorrow.

Hellboy
10-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Aw Man!!

Is it tomorrow already? :(

JEDIpartner
10-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Apparently...

Turbowars
10-21-2004, 08:29 PM
You can view them at GH and SWC. I guess they are OK, I just can't get excited about non OT figures

Steve, it's not much fun to have cool info if you can't show it, is it?:bored:

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Yeah... there they are.

aceguide
10-22-2004, 07:30 AM
They look very cool. Here's to hoping a few more images leak out before too long.

SirSteve
10-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Steve, it's not much fun to have cool info if you can't show it, is it?:bored:
Not at all but we do not want to get sued nor do we want to be banned from Toy Fair... :(

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 08:27 AM
That would be bad. It's better to keep your nose clean! Good on, Sir Steve!

DarthQuack
10-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Kudos! Keep up the good, SMART work.

Kidhuman
10-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Steve send them to me and I will post. I will say someone else gave it to me. :D :beard:

evenflow
10-23-2004, 07:43 AM
They look cool. I can't wait to see more.

TheDarthVader
10-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Can someone post a link? Could someone PM me with the link/pictures? I didn't get to see them. Thanks.

B.
TDV

Slicker
10-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Well this bites... I've had these for several months but Hasbro has told us not to post anything E3 related. Enjoy these while you can as I guarantee they will be pulled tomorrow.From this it's obvious that Hasbro visits the site, so my question is why then don't they pay attention to what figures we want in our posts?:frus:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2004, 02:41 PM
From this it's obvious that Hasbro visits the site, so my question is why then don't they pay attention to what figures we want in our posts?:frus:
Based on these prototypes, it seems they are.

BTW, GH still has them up.

INDIANA
10-23-2004, 02:47 PM
[Q at all but we do not want to get sued nor do we want to be banned from Toy Fair... :([/QUOTE]

Who has ever been sued? Other sites have been leaking stuff for years. Which ones have been sued?

Who has ever been banned from toyfair? I think all the sites I visit had images.

I'm glad to see SirSteve is playing by the rules. He probably has tons of images he can tell us about AFTER they have been shown at other sites. Until then, I'll be at the other sites.

I used to love this site. There was a huge Chicago following that has since up and left. When was the last time SirSteves actually broke a story or got credit for showing new images? Bring some excitement back to these pages and maybe I'd visit more often.

SirSteve
10-23-2004, 10:52 PM
[Q at all but we do not want to get sued nor do we want to be banned from Toy Fair... :(Who has ever been sued? Other sites have been leaking stuff for years. Which ones have been sued?
- When it comes to the new movie stuff, it's another story. We have been threatened during the E1 days and don't really want to find out if they would persue an actual lawsuit.

Who has ever been banned from toyfair? I think all the sites I visit had images.
- We have been back in 1999 and 2000.

I'm glad to see SirSteve is playing by the rules. He probably has tons of images he can tell us about AFTER they have been shown at other sites. Until then, I'll be at the other sites.
- Those were the days but after a site gets "established", it's a another story as there are greater risks involved. We want to work with Hasbro because it's in the sites best interest. We only have until February to worry about this (that's when we can show E3 stuff officially) so it doesn't make sense for me to have Hasbro on our bad side when it's so close to February.

I used to love this site. There was a huge Chicago following that has since up and left. When was the last time SirSteves actually broke a story or got credit for showing new images?
- We break new stories and images as much as we can... See our Top Stories for the latest ones.

Turbowars
10-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Was that Bush or Kerry that answered some of those questions? :evil: ;)

Tycho
10-24-2004, 03:40 AM
Steve does a good job around here and it takes a lot of work to keep up a site like this. I've felt fortunate that for 8 years or so I've had this site as a place to call home.

RS was ordered to take the images down. My guess is that GH waited until after business hours on Friday EST, and once "Hasbro went home" they posted the images. I didn't check the date, but I did see that it was one of GH's other reporters so Mike (the webmaster) can claim "I was out of town and didn't know he posted those. It's not my fault!?" I'll take even lousy odds that this is what will happen. Steve (and Phillip from RS) might complain to Hasbro (for all the good it would do to stir up ill feelings between these 2 sites and GH), but GH will probably feign innocense and they just might get away with it. I'm not sure who Hasbro will be more annoyed with "the complainers" or GH. They are in business and have plenty of things to do before E3's release, besides baby sit their fans' websites.

Anyway, on to the figures:

Palpatine: GH can tell it's a great sculpt? Uh-huh? It's not painted and even the larger image doesn't do anything for me. The articulation is only worth while if he'll have a soft goods cloak that allows him to sit with those bending knees. My best theory: the price increase on figures will mean added stuff: Palpatine will have both the molded cloak we see in the pictures, (hopefully not cut Bib Fortuna style) and you can remove this and add an included-with softgoods cloak for sitting poses. This way with 1 figure, an opener can have it any way they want it! Oh that'd make a great figure! Now if only they do a ROTJ Emperor Palpatine like this! That'd be the definitive moment in the history of Palpatine collectibles! Meanwhile, I'll get excited about this when it's shown that it goes beyond re-releasing the present Nute Gunray with knee articulation for whatever good that'd do.

Excitement factor: 5-6 (with hope)

Count Dooku: super articulated, it's the figure we should have gotten 2 years ago. Big whoopee. I saved a couple Dooku figures for E3 scenes. As far as I know, that's just about all the Dooku figures I'll need. I might buy 1-2 of these. No big deal. Now if you can simulate battle damage by disconnecting every limb and opening him up down the middle, that'd be worth something! Maybe they can even include some gunk like the Acklay's guts with him. Yeah. That'd be cool.

Excitement factor as is: 5

Bail Organna: Now this looks to be pretty cool and interesting. I love the flow of the sculpted cloak. The gun holster, Bail's new E3 look - all too cool. Posing this figure with Rebel Fleet Troopers on the Tantive IV: wow! Here's a figure I'll enjoy getting. I'll need 11 Bail Organa figures for my ROTS scenes I've planned from a leaked plot outline, and I've saved one AOTC figure of him as an extra which I hope I'll get to use. So it'd be nice to see him in both outfits in ROTS - yeah, just so I can use my old Bail Organa action figure. But the new one looks super!

Excitement Factor: 8

SirSteve
10-24-2004, 10:16 AM
My guess is that GH waited until after business hours on Friday EST, and once "Hasbro went home" they posted the images.
Sounds like the stunt we did back in 1998 over Thanksgiving weekend with the E1 stuff...

mastermatt24
10-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Can someone post a link? Could someone PM me with the link/pictures? I didn't get to see them. Thanks.

Me too please? I didnt see them either.. :(

mastermatt24
10-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Ok nevermind. I found them.. Nothing that big to get excited about, none of the characters we havent seen before.. Are they really gonna cost more?? If they do thats going to really suck.

pasfs0
10-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I hope this time I dont end up with dozens of worthless figures that no one wants anymore. I remember episode 1 bought a whole case to then find out No one wants to pay even 5 bucks for one

Tycho
10-25-2004, 01:28 AM
What are you into Star Wars only for profits? Like a dealer or online store owner?

Almost all of us here are into collecting this stuff to display or becase we love Star Wars.

If you're actually collecting it because you think new stuff will be valuable...sorry but this isn't the 70's-80's anymore.

Unless you're in business, I'd say buy only what's valuable to you. Who cares what anyone else wants or perceives as valuable?

If you're in business, I hope that your prices are reasonable (as well as your shipping) and you might pick up some customers around here.

Not myself personally though. I set up dioramas so I'm out to probably buy 50 Clone Troopers and that sort of thing, while only 7 General Greviouses, so I'm saving up $1000 for everything I plan to get the day the stuff's released, and I'll go down to Toys R Us at midnight and haul it all home - lowest possible price, no shipping, and barely 7 miles of a drive for me.

But you see I can't buy by a case or an assortment because I want strange numbers and can only afford to buy what I'll use:

50 Clones
15 Palpatines
30 Obi-Wans
7 General Grevious
11 Bail Organas
4 Darth Vaders

etc. etc.

Why waste money ordering cases with stuff in it that I haven't saved my money up for?

I'm not going to sell any of this - I'm going to OPEN everything I purchase.

I've bought only a few times on line - from stores that catered to my particular wants.

I spent like $200 with Yestertoys because I wanted specific piles of troop builders like Clone Troopers (sneak peak) and Imperial Officers.

I also ordered 20 some of the rare Naboo Royal Guard from an online vendor who wanted to make a big sale and offered me a discount since I was spending such a large amount with him.

Professionally, I'm a financial planner, so you might say I know a little bit about business investing. While it's true that people want to love what they do, I'm not sure that being a great Star Wars fan qualifies anyone to make a great living by trying to be a great Star Wars retailer. Hasbro's case assortments and shipping priorities make more losers than winners out of small-time proprietor businesses that try to become retail partners with them.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do as long as you're not trying to rip any of us fan-collectors off.

It's just that the money in this stuff is there - like I said, I'm sitting on a stockpile of cash for April 2005 - but I think only a large retail chain that doesn't stipulate what I buy from them and that charges me the least (because everyone will be able to get this stuff everywhere for Episode 3) - is the only place that is going to get my business.

DarthChuckMc
10-26-2004, 07:38 AM
more NEW pics from an eBay auction

droidekas2
10-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Those new pictures of the preview wave figures look awesome!!
There is also one of the Wookie Warrior.
This guy in Hong Kong is great, in at least he's providing pictures way before Hasbro does.

SirSteve
10-26-2004, 09:29 AM
I got them posted... since they "originated" on ebay, I posted them. :D

http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30718

JEDIpartner
10-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Those are quite nice!! It's great to see that they have ball-jointed articulation a multiple points of articulation!!! They are going to be doing a great job on the new figures!!! I think this last film is going to bring out the best in Hasblah... er-- HasBRO! ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, these look great. Nice to know we'll get a good version of Grievous before the "Slashing Attack" version with the regular figures. The enhanced articulation is sweet! Tarfful's armor looks a little odd, but it's okay. I wonder if Tion Meddon will actually use that enormous gun, or if we've gone back to the "weapons for the sake of weapons" days of POTF2? Will there still be a droid figure?

Now I'm really excited! :D:D:D:D

aceguide
10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Looking good!

I want to know that seller better - check out the army builders he also has for sale.

Darkness Shroud
10-26-2004, 12:58 PM
I like!! My warm fuzzy feeling keeps growing. Great pictures!!:)

Kidhuman
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Grevious actually looks good.

DarthQuack
10-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Hopefully we'll see a lightsaber or two hanging from his belt in the final version.

AmanaMatt
10-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Not bad - out of the bunch, I'll get Grievous. I hope we get EP III SA Clonetroopers early in the line.

Turbowars
10-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Grievous looks promising, but I don't like the other two. The Wookie looks over done compared to Chewy.

mastermatt24
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know how much E3 figs will retail for??

Kidhuman
10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Supposedly 6.99. That is the rumor

Tycho
10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
These figures look amazing!

Tion Meddon: nice detail.

Excitement factor: 7

General Tarfful: Whoa! I love his design! I seriously can't wait to see the Wookiees in action now. I want lots of various Wookiee soldiers for him to have under his command! I mean "Planet of the Apes!"

Nevermind that if Chewie put on some weight and filled out a little more, he'd look just like this guy if he'd wear his hair differently. I'll probably seem like I'm racially profiling here, but maybe a lot of Wookiees do look alike?

Excitement Factor: 9

General Grevious: This is nice! I love the articulation and the detail. With more lightsabers (possibly included, but it doesn't matter - I've plenty to spare) Grevious will rock! I too wish you could hang some from his belt. A cloth cape version would be sweet too. (Maybe with simulated tears like the Boba Fett 300th anniversary version?)

Excitement Factor: 9+

(so what's a 10? Ephant Mon and 1998 Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet)

I think it'd be a classic figure of unique detail or one that I'd waited many, many years for. They've basically filled out all my wants in those categories. Biggs Darklighter in academy uniform might hit that spot, but not much (besides NJO EU) could.

Oh - and compare Episode 3's figures with the figures we first got a look at for the other prequels....

Phantom Menace.............Attack of the Clones.............Revenge of the Sith

Darth Maul Jedi Duel........Jango Fett removeable helmet.......General Grevious

Battle Droid...................Super Battle Droid.......................General Tarfful

Jar Jar Binks..................Kit Fisto....................................Tion Meddon

Watto..........................Dexter Jettster............................Bail Organa

Gasgano.......................Genosian Warrior..........................????(Coming soon!)

I'm illustrating who the most interesting sculpts were - many of the rest were just human characters.

But it seems like things got progressively better (and more solid) with each movie. E3 has yet to top E2's early figures, but it may...

Solid scores for any of these were Maul and Watto and the Battle Droid, definitely Dexter, Jango, and the Geonosian - and equally as good now are Tarfful and Grevious with still more to be seen. I'm quite confident this will be a great assortment - especially with adding the Clone Trooper should it be in the first regular wave.

Don't forget Classic had its moments too....

MODERN LINE'S FIRST FIGURES FROM EACH MOVIE

NEW HOPE...............EMPIRE STRIKES BACK..............RETURN OF THE JEDI

R2D2.......................Boba Fett.............................Leia Boussh
Sandtrooper.............Bossk (1997).........................Weequay
Momaw Nadon............................................. ........Leia Slave
.................................................. ......................Gamorrean Guard
.................................................. ......................Darth Vader Rmvbl Helmet

But it took a while for the modern Classic collection to get some really good pieces established in the early years.

Funny, but I didn't realize ROTJ was so strong even way back then. A great source of our best Classic figures. Interesting...but neither here nor there.

Now back to ROTS figure discussions.

hango fett
10-27-2004, 05:59 AM
i want to know if this preview grievous can hold a lightsaber in one of his feet too. that would rock! wonder how many of those will be per case...maybe one??
knowing hasblah, thats what it will be...
HF

SirSteve
10-27-2004, 08:40 AM
The preview figures auctions have been removed by ebay. If anyone is seriously looking to purchase these, I am trying to help the seller out so send me an e-mail but I can tell you now, they are not cheap...

hango fett
10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
does he actually have them in hand or what??? that griveous is the one i want and it was 71 bucks!
HF

tgr3328
10-27-2004, 09:24 AM
i want to know if this preview grievous can hold a lightsaber in one of his feet too. that would rock! wonder how many of those will be per case...maybe one??
knowing hasblah, thats what it will be...
HF

I remember from EP2 preview figures, it was not hard to find Jango, Zam, and even the droid, but the clone trooper was harder to get. Even today on eBay, the first three are not too hard to find at a reasonable price, but the trooper still fetches a premium.

Grievous is a major character, a villian, but not an army builder. I predict that he will initially be a little hard to find, since he is a cool-looking bad guy, but that there will eventually be enough to go around.

By the way, Grievous is mostly machine and shouldn't care if he gets cold, so why does he need a cape?

Darth Cruel
10-27-2004, 02:44 PM
These are some really interesting choises for preview figures. Seems to me that it can only go downhill from here.

joe-da
10-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Very much looking forward to these!!!

Glad to know we'll get a non-action attack Grievous!!!!!

Hellboy
10-27-2004, 04:13 PM
i want to know if this preview grievous can hold a lightsaber in one of his feet too. that would rock!

Doubtful but who knows. I think the whole holding lightsabers using his feet was something conjured up for the sake of the CW cartoon but I could be wrong.

By the way, Grievous is mostly machine and shouldn't care if he gets cold, so why does he need a cape?

Because it looks cool and he doesn't want to rust now does he. ;)

I think the new figures look amazing, especially Grievous. I was under the impression that he was supposed to have an all white endo-skeleton though but I actually like the cream color better. Its cool how it resembles an actual skeleton. Hopefully he will appear this way in the film too. One other thing I find interesting is the rumor of his spliting forearms giving him the ability to wield up to four lightsabers at a time don't seem to be present on this rendition. Maybe Hasbro will save that for the Deluxe Grievous. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I think capes aren't always for warmth - look at Vader, it's gotta be hotter than hell in that suit anyway. Lando also wears one just to look cool. For Grievous, it is probably something to do with his mechanical gears showing, maybe he wants to sometimes look normal. Also, it's probably easier to animate a cape than all those gears and wires.

By the way, everyone, it's "Grievous," not "Grevious." I think forum member -Durge- got us on the wrong spelling track.

Darth Alex
10-28-2004, 12:37 PM
"Well, folks, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

All I can say is wow. Tion looks really great, nice weapons, even if he doesn't possibly use them in the movie(I know nOTHING<wink-wink to Downward Spiral re-issue, ya'all>special, just a guess based on past "armed" figures like good 'ol Diner Dex). The Wookie is BOSS, TOP, GREAT, MUST-HAVE.

And then there's the General G(however it's spelled). Classic stance, great look.

Even though I rant my little head off over how retail is stinking right now, these WILL be purchased. I might downsize and not army build, but I'm still in if this is how GREAT the figures are clearly gonna be.

Bravo, Hasbro. Bravo....

Darth Mina
10-28-2004, 03:52 PM
So when can I pre-order them from a regular E-tailer :D

mastermatt24
10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
I actually like the cream color better.:
Usally the prototypes arent painted, (Hes not painted.. Yet.)so thats why hes the cream color. I dont think they would have a cream colored bad guy. :crazed:

DarthQuack
10-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I can wait til the figures come out.....Don't need any prototypes here....

Kidhuman
10-28-2004, 09:18 PM
So when can I pre-order them from a regular E-tailer :D

Keep checking the website or check here in the Case asst threds. I try to keep them as up to date as possible. SHould be findoing out shortly when they will be available

Tycho
10-28-2004, 09:51 PM
I have the case assortment!

CASE #: .0000whatyourwalmartmostlikelywillreceive.11A

1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1 x General Grievous

:D

Rocketboy
10-28-2004, 10:48 PM
I have the case assortment!

CASE #: .0000whatyourwalmartmostlikelywillreceive.11A

1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1x Luke Tatooine,1 x General Grievous

:D
Odd. I figured they'd all be Cantina Hans. :D

Darth Mina
11-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Keep checking the website or check here in the Case asst threds. I try to keep them as up to date as possible. SHould be findoing out shortly when they will be available
Thank you I just hope that they come way past X-mas

Battle Droid
11-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Here's an Anakin one.

From, http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=30750[/url]
[url="http://www.behindthetoys.com/images/news/ana_3_mock2.jpg"] (http://www.behindthetoys.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6997)

evenflow
11-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Anakin looks alright, not as cool as the last set of figures shown. Nice to see we will be getting another SA Clone Trooper since i never found the other one.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey! That's on ebay right now...

Tycho
11-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I think the Anakin figure is likely legit, or at least independently sculpted and not kit-bashed, though I was looking for SeaSee Tiin's arm on Anakin's left (non-robotic) hand.

Meanwhile, there are definitely what are closer to Stormtroopers in Episode 3 rather than Clone Troopers as evidenced by this SA Clone repack.

There might be both - that would certainly help me use up my Clone collection I already have.

The Storm-Cloners might be new versions of ARC Troopers or a special force that turn on the Jedi, etc. (if there are both). I am under the impression that there will be 2 different genetics used for Clones in E3 - Temura Morrison's and anothers, still lending to my belief that Han Solo was created as a Clone.

(not a spoiler, as I am likely the single-sole-person on this earth that conjectures that, but I posted my evidence in the E3 Spoiler Discussion Section).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Anakin looks okay . . . they still haven't gotten the face right. I wonder if this one will have an action feature?

Why would they release the SA Clone as part of the ROTS line? I thought all the clones would be the new version, not the AOTC ones. I mean, everyone wants this figure, but I also want some ROTS clones.

Kidhuman
11-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Damn, hopefully I can get more SA Clones. I am going to scoop all I find at MM

aceguide
11-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Anakin looks good. His hands look like they would have trouble holding a saber.

Wondering when the new clones will roll out...

JEDIpartner
11-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Based on the packaging, this Anakin appears to be a pack-in. He probably comes with his Starfighter.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Based on the packaging, this Anakin appears to be a pack-in. He probably comes with his Starfighter.
It seems that way, but I wonder if it will be the same one on a regular card? Tha would suck, I hate when they make you buy the same thing over and over.

TheDarthVader
11-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Damn, hopefully I can get more SA Clones. I am going to scoop all I find at MM
Okay, do you mean WM as in Wal Mart? What the heck is MM? Just curious. :D

These figures look okay. I am not going to get it if its a pack in figure. I just don't usually go for those. I do want a SA clone. I never did get one. :(

B.
TDV

Kidhuman
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
I did mean MM at WM...Midnight Madness at Wal-MArt. I might hit the two in my area that night just to get them all. :evil: :beard:

TheDarthVader
11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
OH! Yeah I will probably go to 2 Wal Marts so I can get those darn SA clones.

B.