PDA

View Full Version : Ten Scariest Moments

JON9000
10-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Before we all see the show, I thought we could make a list of what we think are the ten scariest scenes in films.

1. The Shining Jack starts hooking up with a hot chick in the bathroom of room 237, looks in the mirror and into the tub, and realizes he is making out with a water-logged corpse! And then the damn thing chases him! Still revolting after all these years.

2. The Exorcist Damien Karras has dream of his recently deceased mother, which goes all wrong after we get a 4 frame shot of the demon. Scary!

3. Poltergeist Robbie stares down a wicked clown doll in his closet. Scared the crud out of me in 83.

4. The Shining Danny wheels around the corner of the Overlook and sees the ghosts of the 2 creepiest girls ever. Then he sees the images of their grisly axe murder, blood everywhere.

5. Sixth Sense The kid gets shoved in a crawl space with something less than friendly inside.

6. Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy scratches Tina out while her boyfriend sees the results.

7. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Marilyn Burns is tied up by a family of deranged cannibalists. This scene is just nightmarish.

8. Silence of the Lambs We see Buffalo Bill closing in on Clarice in the dark, through his nightvision goggles. This was agonizing!

9. Salem's Lot The vampire boy scratching at the window.

10. Rosemary's Baby Some one else is in her apartment!

James Boba Fettfield
10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Funny you mention that Salem's Lot bit, but nothing of Nosferatu? And we all know Bravo is going to put the Psycho shower scene near or at the top of the list for this show. I've got a few scenes I would consider scary...

Exorcist 3-the nurse scene.

The Thing (JC's film)-don't try to revive an alien imitating a human with a defibrillator

Alien-chestburster at dinner

The Eye-ghost in an elevator

Zombie-splinter in the eye

Suspira-I cry out in terror everytime I think about those eyes right before that brutal death scene

Yeah, that's what I went with. A little Italian horror here, some zombies, alien life, an evil nurse, and a ghost. :ermm: I know some of them might be considered famous and not scary, like that alien thing. But I cannot imagine what that must have been like to see back in the 70's with no warning. The horror, the horror!

For the record, I used to be quite frightened by the heffalumps and woozles scene from Winnie the Pooh.

Hellboy
10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Good choices guys. I can only think of a few others off the top of my head that I'd consider scary.

Jaws: While hanging over the side of the boat Chief Brody looks away just long enough for the shark to sneek up on him.

When a Stranger Calls: "The calls are coming from inside the house." :eek:

Halloween: Lorie is trapped in the corner of a closet as Michael punches through the door aimlessly swinging his knife.

28 Days Later: As Jim stares at the countless piles of bodies inside a church he decides to say "hello" and we see not all of the bodies are lifeless.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Since these tend to be more on the "shock" side of things (jumping in your seat), vs scares (sustained build up of tension) such as the Jodie Foster in peril in the dark scen mentioned. I'll throw in one that's a bit old, but still seems to be pretty effective. I've seen this movie in theatres a couple of times, and people alwyas fall for it.

The appearance of the house keeper in "House on Haunted Hill." This would be the 60s version not that abyssmal remake. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Also, love the movie, or not, the scene where the girl crawls out of the tv set in "The Ring." was pretty good too.

I also give a hats off to the first ten minutes of this year's "Dawn of the Dead" remake for sustained tension.

I still have yet to see a movie that actually scares me, but some of them have their moments.

Ji'dai
10-22-2004, 01:08 AM
1. The Empire Strikes Back - During the Bespin duel, after narrowly escaping the carbon freeze trap, Luke is searching for Vader and nearly gets cut down when Vader suddenly slashes out from behind a wall. That made me jump when I first saw it. Empire was pretty intense. Captain Antilles' death was difficult to watch for a seven-year old that wasn't desensitized to film violence too.

2. The Sixth Sense - Young Cole is taking a leak late at night, when the thermostat falls and he begins to see his breath. The ghost of a battered wife blows by the open door behind him. The initial encounter with the young poisoned girl was scary too.

3. The Shining - Danny's Big Wheel ride through the corridors of the Overlook; he meets the ghosts of two young girls. In the novel, the scene where Jack Torrance encounters the topiaries shaped like animals is pretty tense. As is Danny's scene in the playground tube. Too bad Kubrick didn't have the SP/FX tech. to do those scenes.

4. Poltergeist - The evil clown doll & the tree. The researcher who discovers he's eating a maggoty chicken leg and then pulls off his own face was pretty nasty.

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark - melting Nazis weren't easy to watch either.

6. The Innocents - '60s film based on Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw." Several frightening encounters with ghosts - the woman on the stairs at night; the woman near the lake.. still scary even though that scene was shot in broad daylight.

7. Jaws - Richard Dreyfuss' encounter with the deceased owner of the fishing boat during a dive.

8. Aliens - I had difficulty sitting still while watching this entire movie. The Alien has got to be the best new horror monster in the last 30 years.

9. The Haunting - The skeleton discovery and subsequent explosion in the fire place.

10. What Lies Beneath - Michelle Pheifer goes up to take a bath, the computer boots up as she ascends the stairs (need widescreen to really appreciate this) and there's steam coming out from under the door. She wipes the moisture off the mirror and a ghostly face flashes by.

aceguide
10-22-2004, 09:00 AM
For the record, I used to be quite frightened by the heffalumps and woozles scene from Winnie the Pooh.

Sort of like the elephant scene in Dumbo...

mrpauldeeds
10-22-2004, 05:05 PM
1. Childs Play: When Andy is in the mental hospital that is pretty run down and he is in his little confinment center and looks out his window bars and sees chucky crawling up the stairs. Then he says "hes gunna kill me" and no one belives him. Man scary when i was 7, about Andys age in the movie.

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: That one girl gets put on a meat hook in leatherfaces meat room and watches her already choped up boyfriend get choped up some more.....

Halloween: Lorie is trapped in the corner of a closet as Michael punches through the door aimlessly swinging his knife.

4. Childs Play: The end, when chuky is dead, but his eyes are open, the mom and Andy shut the door, leave dead chuky in the room, and the movie ends in a freeze frame....NO CLOUSER AT ALL!! god talk about an ending that scared the crap outta me, i still remember watching that movie and the way that sleepless night went...

5. The Thing: during the end of the movie, it just gets gross

6. Jaws:
While hanging over the side of the boat Chief Brody looks away just long enough for the shark to sneek up on him. and the cries of help from the "shark hunter" guy when the shark attacks the boat, you know what im talking about.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street: This pertains to all the films, but a killer that gets you in your sleep, that always gets to me. and also the "one, two, freddys comming for you....." that song is creepy.

8. Dawn of the Dead:
I also give a hats off to the first ten minutes of this year's "Dawn of the Dead" remake for sustained tension. definetly B monkey

9. Scream: "Whats your favorite scary movie?" i thought that was good and scary

10. Children of the Corn: the couple gets to the rual town to find it more empty then it already is, creepy

11. Open Water: being forgetten in the middle of the ocean, with sharks all around you.

James Boba Fettfield
10-26-2004, 09:57 PM
So my Zombie eye pick made the list....like pick 99 or 98, though...ha ha!

I thought it might have been scarier than that, though.

2-1B
10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Zombi is great for that scene and many others...that one fella rising out of his shallow grave is always a hoot. lol lol lol

UKWildcat
10-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Zombi is a quality movie, and that scene (eye ball) is fantastic. I remember showing that to my brother and he nearly got sick. He now refuses to watch the movie. lol I absolutely love the Zombi theme music too. I wish I could download that song, atleast as a ringtone or something.

Scary moment, and I'm sure Cae will agree, the ending of Sleepaway Camp. ;) :eek:

sith_killer_99
10-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Exorcist 3-the nurse scene.

To this day, it remains the only scenes to even make me really jump in the theater!:D

2-1B
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Zombi is a quality movie, and that scene (eye ball) is fantastic. I remember showing that to my brother and he nearly got sick. He now refuses to watch the movie. lol I absolutely love the Zombi theme music too. I wish I could download that song, atleast as a ringtone or something.

That would be awesome. I sometimes go up to some friends and say "the boat can leave now." :grin:

I've said long ago that I'd love a Dawn of the Dead (78) closing theme song phone ringer...but for now I'll just settle for my Office theme ringer. :grin:

Scary moment, and I'm sure Cae will agree, the ending of Sleepaway Camp. ;) :eek:

Yeah, that was a real "dangler" of an ending. lol

UKWildcat
10-16-2006, 11:38 PM
I've said long ago that I'd love a Dawn of the Dead (78) closing theme song phone ringer...

Heck yea, that would be a sweet one too.

Yeah, that was a real "dangler" of an ending. lol

You did not just say that... lol

There were a couple of parts in "The Grudge" (aka, Kidhuman's favorite movie) that really made me jump. One that really got me was towards the beginning when the chick was looking in the attic with the lighter.

There were also some freaky/scary moments in The Exorcism of Emily Rose.