PDA

View Full Version : Something I did not know about "budgets"...

JEDIpartner
10-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Did you notice how figures toward the end of a particular line become scarce? I've often wondered why that is. I just got my answer the other day.

Maybe you knew this. If you didn't... here's why!

Hasbro commits a specified amount of money to producing that line. They plan the line as best as they can and use the money to manfacture the goods. When they come to the last wave in production, they may be faced with only 5% of their allotted budget for the line. It doesn't matter if their orders exceed that amount. They won't allocate more money to producing those figures. The produce what they can with the money they've got left and and once that money has dried up, they are done.

I found that to be fascinating!

plasticfetish
10-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Makes sense... where'd you get your info from?

dr_evazan22
10-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Ephant Man anyone?

B'Omarr Monkey
10-24-2004, 06:34 PM
That makes sense, though maybe they should plan a little better--not that I'm one to give any advice on budgets.

It's too bad though that these figures that receive small production runs aren't at the forefront of their repackaging concerns later on. They've already paid for the molds, why not make more later and slip them into later waves?

Darth Mina
10-24-2004, 10:05 PM
That makes sense, though maybe they should plan a little better--not that I'm one to give any advice on budgets.

It's too bad though that these figures that receive small production runs aren't at the forefront of their repackaging concerns later on. They've already paid for the molds, why not make more later and slip them into later waves?
because when they get a budget aproval is fpr the next batch of figues and not to continue with theprevoius production even if it means to sacrifice good looking figures and some times profit, Hasbro still has to answer to the stock holders who much rather gain more market share with newer and fresher product than to please a few of us geeks (IMO)

JEDIpartner
10-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Makes sense... where'd you get your info from?
I got the info from a person who works in the industry. I found this information a bit disheartening. This is also why figures of "lesser" importance are usually placed in this final run.

plasticfetish
10-27-2004, 04:22 AM
Yeah... that makes a lot of sense also, and it is a bummer. Makes me a little nervous about how easy it'll be to find the next bunch of figures before ep.3 comes out.

Kidhuman
10-27-2004, 06:50 AM
What the should do then is get back all the pegwarmers and melt them down. Bet you could make a ton of Ephant Mon from those leftover Zuttons, Jango Pilots and Arena Padmes.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
The problem with melting things down is that they have the dyes in the plastics. I think you can only make black out of them at that point... no?

ANEEL
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Say Goodbye To The Scanning Crew Guy.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
yeah... probably.

Kidhuman
10-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Well, wheather or not they dye runs and blends makes no difference considering the paint jobs they are concocting.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2004, 08:59 PM
True... but the base colour has to be the primary colour or you are going to have loads of flaking paint.