PDA

View Full Version : Sandcrawler set to ship.....

potf2x
10-22-2004, 09:03 AM
I placed a pre-order for the Sandcrawler a few months ago with SoutherIsland.com and just yesterday (Oct 23rd) they charged my credit card. So either the sandcrawlers have just arrived, or they're about to. :D

JawaJoe
10-22-2004, 10:11 PM
I ordered couple weeks ago and they charged my card like the next day. Not too fond of that practice. Anyways I havent recieved any confirmation from them so I kinda doubt they will be shipping anytime soon.

Ji'dai
10-23-2004, 07:44 PM
I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago saying my order was "in process." My credit card has been charged, so I'd better be seeing a Sandcrawler pretty damn soon. I need to get those vaporator's in the south range working by November or there'll be hell to pay.

kdp100
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, I received my Sandcrawler yesterday (via R2DToys.com - thanks John!) and I offer the following comments:

Jawas: A straight POTF2 repack (though without weapons) - no sign of the newer OTC 'weathered' pair of figures. Bearing in mind, though, that it's been a while since the POTF2 pair were on general release, I suppose this might let newer collectors catch-up.

RA-7 droid: Not so much a re-paint as a re-cast - the figure is molded on the black POTF2 version, but it's made of a much softer plastic, similar to the AOTC C-3POs. A nice touch, and one that allows me to retire my old extra POTF2 Death Star Droid from which I'd removed the black varnish...

Paint-job: Simply excellent on the outside; the inside isn't painted at all (despite some recent preview photos).

Tooling: A mixed response here, notwithstanding the obvious discrepancy in scale (see forums passim).
I never saw the original radio-controlled version of this toy, but it looks as if they've made good use of what was presumably once a battery-compartment to offer a ''secret hiding-place"; opening this sliding door in the floor of the main chamber is the only way you're ever going to fit R1-G4 inside this vehicle.
Also (and my only major gripe), the 'droid elevator' is still tooled for the vintage astromech droids, so none of the post-1995 R2/R3/R4/R5 figures will fit into this capsule without severe distortion of the feet. A similar problem caused the removal of the Y-wings' droid-socket, and I'm surprised that nobody at Hasbro has picked up on the same problem here.
The interior of the Sandcrawler occupies three levels, stepping down from the cockpit to the main hold; there is ample space for about a dozen Jawas on the upper two levels, and the hold is big enough to contain the 'definitive' list of Sandcrawler droids (R2, 3PO, R5-D4, R1-G4, Power Droid, blue Treadwell & RA-7), so I'm happy.

potf2x
10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
COOL! Glad to hear someone finally got one in hand. Should be just a matter of time before everyone else (who ordered one) gets theirs.

Thanks for the review!

Tycho
10-27-2004, 11:49 PM
I got mine today through my local comic book shop who placed the order for me. That store is awesome I swear!

The review kdp100 did was great and basically covers it all. I'm going to fill mine with Star Tours Droids because I did my Purchase of the Droids scene slightly differently and I like the way it's set up without the Sandcrawler.

I'll let you know how the Star Tours gang looks in the sandcrawler when I get some time to set it up.

Imagine what Captain Rex could do driving one of these, considering his Star Tours piloting skills (for those of you who have been on the ride).

If you're on Tatooine, Stay off the sand! ;)

plasticfetish
10-28-2004, 04:25 AM
I'd been planning to roll into my local comic shop, to see if it was too late to order a Sandcrawler. Today I walked in, and to my surprise they'd ordered a few extra to put out and sell. So... I've got one now, but it's still sitting in its very nice box while I decide if I'm going to open it or not.

Sentinel18725
10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I think I better get on the move and order mine from Amok Time (I'm going to get two because this is the one toy that I always wanted as a kid). One stays in, the other gets to roam free.

Tycho
10-28-2004, 02:43 PM
I wished the thing COULD roam. Wheels under the treads if the treads weren't going to work would have been nice.

But I still like it. I think I'll be adding my Star Tours Droids today.

Jaff
10-28-2004, 08:47 PM
My wife just bought my Sandcrawler at a local comic shop today. Happy days, they are says Yoda!

stillakid
10-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I never saw the original radio-controlled version of this toy.

I have an incomplete original Sandcrawler. Once my new version arrives, I'll take some comparison pics and put them up for review. :)

kool-aid killer
10-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Just got back from one of the local collectors store and i seen they had one for sale. Looks nice, im going to have to throw it onto my revised Christmas wish list. My jawas need a ride, the Ronto will be happy to see some relief.

Sidiously Darth
10-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey guys!

Got some good news today. Talked to customer service at Southern Island and they have received their order of Crawlers. Shipping will start today and continue through Monday.

They are on the West Coast, so any of you who ordered from the East Coast can expect it in 4-5 business days.

Hope this puts some of your fears to rest.

Hellboy
10-29-2004, 06:19 PM
I saw this the other day in my local comic shop as well and thought it looked good. The paint app. is really nice but the price still seems a bit steep. I'll probably pick it up eventually but I'm holding off for now.

kool-aid killer
10-31-2004, 11:40 AM
Doh! Heres a dumb question. The Sandcrawler is only available online correct? I wont be able to stroll into my Walmart/Target/TRU and pick one up? Thanks.

Turbowars
10-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah, you can only get it from a Comic store that deals with Diamond or on-line store such as Entertainment Earth, which they do have them now.

Devo
11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm in Ireland and today I got the sandcrawler from forbidden planet Dublin. I was considering putting it away till Christmas but to hell with that idea I'm off to open it as soon as I click the x on this window. FP Dublin also had the new Slave I repaint but I opted not to get it as the sandcrawler already ate quite a bit into my wallet.

JabbaGlob
11-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I received my Sandcrawler today from John's Toys and it's in great shape. Unfortunately it's a Christmas gift so I'll have to put it away until Dec. 25.

I have a few family members who really want to give Star Wars gifts to me for Christmas but they're afraid of purchasing something I already have or something that I don't collect. So now I just give them the web page info and voila! a few weeks later UPS is knocking on my door with my presents. Works out for everybody.

Turbowars
11-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I saw this thing at Entertainment Earths store today and there's no way that this is worth 59.99. Maybe 29.99. It's so small I can't believe it. The box was so light, I was expecting some weight for 60 bucks. I past for now.:rolleyes:

Devo
11-01-2004, 08:18 PM
I saw this thing at Entertainment Earths store today and there's no way that this is worth 59.99. Maybe 29.99. It's so small I can't believe it. The box was so light, I was expecting some weight for 60 bucks. I past for now.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm being ripped off then. I paid Euro 90.50 which according to my currency converter equates to 115 US dollars and 140 Canadian. Now, you say its not worth....59.99.......uh oh.

Turbowars
11-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Maybe I'm being ripped off then. I paid Euro 90.50 which according to my currency converter equates to 115 US dollars and 140 Canadian. Now, you say its not worth....59.99.......uh oh.Don't take my word for it Devo, you might really like it. I just wasn't really happy from the get go on this vehicle. 115 does seem to high though. Hope you like it.:)

Darth Mina
11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow Thank God I resisted buying this one I agree with you, is really a let down I did expected more substance hell is more expensive than a millenium falcon wich I still don't own :cry: :stupid:

Devo
11-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Don't take my word for it Devo, you might really like it. I just wasn't really happy from the get go on this vehicle. 115 does seem to high though. Hope you like it.:)

Overall I'm glad I bought it. I pay these kinds of prices all the time for vehicles it just never occurred to me to check how they compare with US prices. Each figure costs Euro 12.50 over here and thats 16 US dollars and 19 Canadian - the reason I can't army build to any impressive degree even if I can find the figures. Ireland truly is a rip-off nation. But I'll get the stuff I want if its available.

I want to have one of every OT vehicle.I love the paintjob on the sandcrawler for one thing. However I was under the mistaken impression that the sandcrawler was from a new mould but its not its the same old sandcrawler. But I never had the original so its still a novelty to me. Its surprisingly small and I was disappointed when I found that the front doesn't open down as it does in the film. Still its another OT vehicle off the 'needs to be made/need to get' list.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
I just got an e-mail from SouthernIsland.com saying my Sandcrawler has shipped. I only paid $39.95 for it, plus $7.80 shipping, so it will be worth it for me since I've never had a Sandcrawler before.

Turbowars
11-17-2004, 08:15 PM
This thing is truly a turd. My wife picked it up from our local comic shop and I didn't have it in my heart to tell her to take it back. I wanted the RA-7 so it's OK I guess. I'm debating on trading or selling the crawler and keeping the RA-7. Does anyone want it?

JON9000
11-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Saw the 'crawler yesterday. I've been bummed ever since I heard they were using the original mold. I have to say it looks even smaller in real life. :(

Veers
11-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I picked up mine at Suncoast.