PDA

View Full Version : What do you plan on doing with your collection??

Kidhuman
10-24-2004, 07:50 AM
After all is said and done, what do you plan on doing with your collection? I plan on keeping mine and passing it to my son when I die. I have no intentions of ever selling it to anyone for any reason. Not in it for the investment, if any. I just enjoy the movies and all.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2004, 08:43 AM
While this may sound odd and perhaps mockingly funny, I always had this idea that I would open a museum to myself someday. (Pause for gasps and guffaws) :eek: :crazed: :rolleyes:

Okay. I have saved a TON of stuff from a long time ago (it might even weigh 2000 pounds! ), and since I realized at a young age that I could never bring myself to part with much of it, my youthful brain thought "Hmm, what if I made a place where people could see all my things?"

Well, much time has passed, and while the idea gets more ludicrous as more time passes, I still have all this stuff. So far, it doesn't seem as if I will have a child to pass it all onto, so the question lingers: Would there be any interest in a [Bel-Cam Jos] Museum? The answer?

No, sir. :p

So, to answer the question truthfully, I guess I will just have to keep it until I become world famous for more than just getting three "Communication Disruption" captions selected on sw.com. ;)

Turbowars
10-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Life is just too short for me to start thinking about stuff like this. I figure if
I haven't grown out of this yet, then I probably wont. If anything I will start to thin out the collection so it will look like a collection, instead of a toy store. I probably will not have any kids, but I do have a 6 year old cousin that loves my stuff. So maybe I'll give it to him.:)

B'Omarr Monkey
10-24-2004, 01:13 PM
I was just saying to someone the other day, that I am starting to feel "old" but I still don't feel grown-up yet. I was wondering how old I could get before my interests started looking sad. To other people, it's pathetic enough to see someone in their 30s scouring the action figure pegs ---for themself, but how much sadder will it be when I'm in my 60s?

I figure that when I kick the bucket, my family will pick through my stuff and dump it on ebay, or whatever is around then, *****ing about how much more money they'd have gotten if dad, or grandpa hadn't been an opener and had kept his stuff MOC.

My son has already inherited all of the Marvel toys I bought in the late 80s early 90s, which are all opened now and being played with in the harshest way possible. I have not decided if he's getting my still MOC Batman the Animated Series toys or not. The other stuff, I'm not done with, such as my SW collection, so he can't have it. By the time I'm ready to surrender it, he probably won't be that interested in it, except maybe as a nostalgic thing about his dad, though I doubt he'll want an entire room's worth of the stuff.

I don't think my daughter will want any of it.

Maybe someone can sell it in the gift shop of Bel-Cam Jos's museum. :p

Slicker
10-24-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm having every Star Wars item that I own entombed with me so that no one else can have it. I'm not gonna bust my butt for years and years to find every rare figure so that some kid my future wife will call my son can just have it for free.

Darth Mina
10-24-2004, 04:22 PM
That is a very difficult question to answer. I would really love for my kids (if I get arrount to having any) to carrry on and continue what I started. I'm not planing to sell any part of my collection and I hope that I never have to. an other alternative will be to donate it to charity if I have no kids

LTBasker
10-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I really have no idea...just trying to play it by ear. One day I would like to have an entertainment room that stores and displays all of it but I don't want to look too much into that dream in case I ever have to part with anything for an emergency or become disinteresed in a line.

DarthBrandon
10-24-2004, 06:53 PM
After all is said and done, what do you plan on doing with your collection? I plan on keeping mine and passing it to my son when I die. I have no intentions of ever selling it to anyone for any reason. Not in it for the investment, if any. I just enjoy the movies and all.

Same thing as you kidhuman, pass it on to my son, I also have no intentions of selling it to anyone either. Plan to keep it in the family.

Kidhuman
10-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I was just saying to someone the other day, that I am starting to feel "old" but I still don't feel grown-up yet.

I feel the exact same way

To other people, it's pathetic enough to see someone in their 30s scouring the action figure pegs ---for themself, but how much sadder will it be when I'm in my 60s?

Ask the HW collectors :crazed: :beard:

Hellboy
10-24-2004, 11:10 PM
I've pondered this question a few times myself and if I had kids like some of you do I'm sure the anwser would be to pass my collection along to them as well. I definitely don't see myself giving up collecting but when I die I would love for my family to divide up my collection equally amongst the friends I've made over the years who enjoy this hobby as much as I do. I figure they'll appreciate it more than anyone, that is if they're still living and collecting after I'm gone.

stillakid
10-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I've starting burning one Prequel figure a day as a build up to Episode III.

Bobby Fett
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Just like with everything else I've collected, when something I like better comes along I'll sell or give everything away.

Probably I'll have to give it away - this is the first collection I've had that isn't worth anything.

Kidhuman
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Probably I'll have to give it away - this is the first collection I've had that isn't worth anything.

I got Dibs on it. :D

Bobby Fett
10-25-2004, 10:54 PM
I got Dibs on it. :D

It's yours - unless there's an unprovoked bear poop attack. ;)

Ji'dai
10-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Like Bel-Cam Joss, I entertained the idea of opening my own museum, so you're not alone in your delusions of grandeur ;) But after seeing pics of other people's collections, especially super-collectors like Steve Sansweet, I think mine is pretty pathetic.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all this crap. My kids (when I have 'em) may not be interested in Star Wars or have the same appreciation for it that I do so they may not even want it. That's not a bad thing though, they can discover and follow their own passions.

Sometimes I think it would be very liberating to just stop collecting entirely. I love collecting Star Wars and action figures in general, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Star Wars line come to an end in the next year or two. I'll probably stick it out to the end since I've been with it since the beginning.

scruffziller
10-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Will always keep them.

bobafrett
10-26-2004, 01:39 PM

Good Question! When I was younger I always thought I would just have my collection buried with me, now that I am older and a little wiser, and judging by the size of my collection, I decided that my only son will inherit my collection when I pass on. I have discussed this with him, saying that there are only a few pieces that I would hope he would keep, like my personalized SW figures of myself, and maybe my Stormtrooper armor.

My son tells his friends when they come over, that when I die, he gets everything and will become rich. We will have to see just how good (or bad) Episode III is.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-29-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't know what I'm going to do with all this crap. My kids (when I have 'em) may not be interested in Star Wars or have the same appreciation for it that I do so they may not even want it. That's not a bad thing though, they can discover and follow their own passions.

Sometimes I think it would be very liberating to just stop collecting entirely. I love collecting Star Wars and action figures in general, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Star Wars line come to an end in the next year or two. I'll probably stick it out to the end since I've been with it since the beginning.

Yeah, the kid thing doesn't tend to work. I have a set of most of the POTF2 that I bought my, as of then, non-existent, kids in anticipation that they'd be into SW because their dad was. I still have the set of these figures stashed away. They have a decent lot of figures from when the Mon Mothma waves, Ep.1, and initial Saga waves were heavily marked down, + a few scattered figures, but rarely play with them. My son occassionally gets interested in them when he's with me when I score some new figures on one of my toy runs, but after a day or two, they go back in the bin and he goes back to his Godzilla toys, which he's much happier with.

I also think it would be liberating to stop collecting altogether. I half-jokingly say that the best thing that could happen to me would be to have my house burn down, because I would never start again. When SW is done, I will feel some sense of loss because undoubtedly there will be characters that I'm hoping for, which won't get made, but at the same time, I'll be happy to be able to channel my time and money into something else, like my monster toy collection. If another company later picked up the SW license, I doubt I'd start up again. I'd only consider buying from a new company and new line, if the scale were the same, and only the figures that Hasbro didn't make.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-30-2004, 08:32 AM
This is a tough question. Right now, no one in family has barely shown any inkling of interest in my collection. They are a little annoyed about the amount of space it eats up, and the costs associated with it.

In the future, if I have children, the logical assumption is that they would inherit it. I am hopeful that I someday I will have a little son who shares the same passion that I have, and when I can no longer continue collecting, he will "carry the torch," and keeping all the stuff we've accumulated to date.

The problem, as mentioned in a previous thread, that isn't always a guarantee. If no one wants it, then I suspect, when I am gone, there will be a firesale of stuff, most likely on E-Bay.

InsaneJediGirl
10-30-2004, 11:21 AM
I plan on keeping it as long as possible.I am already refining my collection a bit and just buying the action figures I am super interested in and displaying them in a bit of a "muesum" type way.(Even though almost all are opened :_) )Next goal is to collect as many SW books/grahpic novels as possible,which could always be passed to a library when I croak.

To answer it simply : It will be my kids problem to deal with :D Any I have I'll turn into little geeks

mastermatt24
10-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Your kidding, right? That is a great idea to get rid of space for E3 stuff, but I could never bring myself to burn a figure. (except when I made a weathered clone)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Like Bel-Cam Joss, I entertained the idea of opening my own museum, so you're not alone in your delusions of grandeur ;) But after seeing pics of other people's collections, especially super-collectors like Steve Sansweet, I think mine is pretty pathetic.

Sometimes I think it would be very liberating to just stop collecting entirely. I love collecting Star Wars and action figures in general, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Star Wars line come to an end in the next year or two. I'll probably stick it out to the end since I've been with it since the beginning.Well, from a pure numbers point of view (and you know, everything depends on our point of view :rolleyes: ), I have 600+ figures (all but about 20 opened), 2100+ trading cards (of course opened! ), 500+ books and comics (read 'em all! ), and about 500+ other items (toys, music, posters, games, clothing, etc.). While that is nowhere near Sansweetian levels, it ain't too bad.

I was recently in a shutdown mode for collecting (I bought 2 figures and 2 packs of SW Heritage cards today, after 4 months of nada), and am still just getting the things I like (no longer anywhere near a completist). Keep the faith, Ji'dai!

B'Omarr Monkey
10-30-2004, 02:17 PM
In going through some of my boxes of VHS tapes, I came across a bunch of stuff that I now have on DVD, or better VHS versions of. I've taken some of these duplicate tapes and left them at random places; restaurants, the bus, etc. so that someone else will find them, and hopefully take them home and enjoy them. Since most of these were taped off tv, vs pre-recorded, I couldn't donate them to the library (or sell them on ebay).

Maybe this is a good way for someone (not me) to distribute their SW collection. Imagine walking into a bookstore and finding a Sio Bibble on an action stand with a post-it not reading "Free Take Me Home." Or, you could hide them in tupperware containers all over the country and set up a website with clues to their whereabouts. Or, create havoc at Celebration, by standing in the center of a room full of SW fans, and then tossing them all into the air.

So many possibilities. I'm in favor of making people perform humilaiating acts in order to get your Ephant Mon or SA Clone Trooper. :evil: :D

mastermatt24
10-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm in favor of making people perform humilaiating acts in order to get your Ephant Mon or SA Clone Trooper.
What do you want me to do? :D :crazed:

Kidhuman
10-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Please dont post an answer to that. :crazed: :beard:

mastermatt24
10-30-2004, 09:09 PM
But you know you want to! Just think of how funny it will be!!

stillakid
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
So many possibilities. I'm in favor of making people perform humilaiating acts in order to get your Ephant Mon or SA Clone Trooper. :evil: :D

Next on Fox...er, um...Next on Sci-Fi: Geek Factor.

Tycho
11-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Present: collect quantities of current OTC, prequel, and ROTS toys (figures, vehicles) etc. to build all movie scenes into dioramas.

Near future:

1) buy large 5 bedroom house for 8-9 or 10 room use for display purposes

2) build large battlefield displays of all the prequel scenes I haven't been able to do in my apartment. Relocated all the classic SW scenes I've finished.

3) Within less than 4-5 years, allow friends from this site to come (especially around comic con) and tour the themed rooms (Hoth, Naboo, Mustafar, etc).

10 years out or thereabouts:

*1) advertise sales of scenes as complete dioramas: you get all of Endor, Kamino, Kashyyyk, etc. with purchase - display case, background art, everything including the saved and stored packaging.

**2) will the stuff to be moved to a toy museum I might help fund and participate in, perhaps in San Diego's historic Balboa Park. Help relocate and set up everything there.

3) Save the stuff for my kids after I start them with Galactic Heroes, and teach them how to take really good care of their toys and not lose anything.

*I'd sell over the course of a years' worth of offers, taking the best for each scene, and maintaining a contact list for those that can't sell, so that I can re-offer them as free-bees to those who'd purchased from me already.

** actually my top preference, so that everyone can enjoy my scenes the way they were meant to be. We have a model railroad museum in San Diego. Why not expand it to a toy museum? Star Wars would not be the only item for the showing, but my collection would require several rooms to hold it all within.

4) ***Divide the stuff up over some years for children I actually help in programs for children with disadvantages (especially income disadvantages) and teach them about right and wrong with Star Wars as an example.

*** this would give me tremendous satisfaction as well. I'd review the toys I'd collected as I review the movies with every special kid. Perhaps I'd give them the contents of a scene from each movie, with one big one (read: multiple vehicles or playsets or large armies) for each youngster.

I'd relive it all one last time by starting with Episode One and working through Episode Six, again dismantling the big scenes at one per individual child, in chronological movie order.

This last way would be kind of cool.

Each kid would get basic core characters from each movie no doubt.

One kid would get the Royal Starship set though, probably with Naboo Fighters, Droid Fighters, an AAT Tank, etc.

Another kid would get a Republic Gunship, Hailfire, 2 Geonosian Fighters, Dooku's speederbike, etc.

Another kid would get vintage Death Star Playsets, an Imperial Shuttle, X-wings, TIEs, etc.

Another kid would get the AT-AT, 3 snowspeeders, the vintage Hoth playsets, etc.

And another kid would get 4 AT-ST's, 6 speederbikes, 2 Ewok villages, catapults, gliders, the shield bunker playset, etc.

This would be fun. Of course all of them would get a Darth Maul, a Han Solo, a Clone Trooper, etc. etc. from my smaller scenes.

Yes, I think one day I can make a lot of people really happy with my collection, especially considering how I purchase, and what is set up and how. I'll also be very appreciative of finally becoming "free" of it, as well.

Of course, if I was super-rich, I could just leave it in my home when I pass, and provide for the property taxes and water and electric bills to be paid, and provide for adminstration of the site as a home-tour location dedicated to Star Wars - then I wouldn't need to worry about providing for museum space on public land.

In all cases, the future looks bright for my collection.

derek
11-05-2004, 05:31 PM

right on. good idea

mastermatt24
11-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Did Derek get banned for that comment?

JON9000
11-06-2004, 06:56 PM
One day I hope to sell it and have enough money to get high grade carded original 12 back figures. I really cannot see lugging this stuff around forever. But I certainly can handle twelve carded figures.

I will probably keep the stuff I have torn loose so if I ever have kids or at least nieces and nephews there will be something for them to play with at Uncle JON9000's house.

Rocketboy
11-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I should have mine melted down and turned into my casket.
That way nobody could ever say I didn't recycle.

Either that, or I just put it all on ebay.

Kidhuman
11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
I should have mine melted down and turned into my casket.
That way nobody could ever say I didn't recycle.

That will show all those people who say you cant take it with you. :D :beard: