PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap! Real life Hobbits!

El Chuxter
10-28-2004, 02:15 PM
From NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4127713):

In a cave on the Indonesian island of Flores, scientists have unearthed the bones of a species of human never seen before. About three-feet-tall when fully grown, Homo floresiensis resembles some of our most primitive ancestors -- but lived as recently as 13,000 years ago. They made tools and hunted dwarf elephants, but were physically unlike modern pygmies.

Scientists say it's possible h. florensiensis mingled with modern humans; they were both in the region around Indonesia around the same time. The discovery suggests we shared the planet with other species of humanity until quite recently in evolutionary terms. The findings, published in this week's issue of the British scientific journal Nature, also suggest that humans may be subject to the same evolutionary pressures as other mammals, shrinking to dwarf size when isolated in a resource-poor area.

There's a lot more to the article at the link above. I believe this is one of those finds that turns all conventional knowledge upside down.

Who knows? Perhaps once this species populated the entire world, and Tolkien's history isn't far off at all.

Slicker
10-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I heard this story on the radio and that's exactly how the radio guys described them as being little hobbits.

stillakid
10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't know that it turns all conventional knowledge upside down. They're still trying to determine exactly how this population came to be in this place. If anything, it only adds to evolutionary theory (much to the dismay and consternation of the midguided Evolutionists out there). Much in the same way that "odd" species like kangaroos and such evolved in isolated island geography, it isn't out of the question that different types of human-like beings also evolved in their own ways in isolated environments.

Evolution is a long arse process and nobody really can say what drives it (besides a survival of the fittest concept), so why "humans" developed simultaneously in various parts of the world at roughly the same time is a great mystery. As far as their "smallness," the rest of the story as I've read it indicates that their size may have been a response to the limited resources of their environment. Larger beings would consume more of the resources resulting in a quicker die-out. Smaller beings could presumably last longer on a small island. Darwin was right again. Way to go! :classic:

Dave_Cameron
10-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I heard that on the radio too. That woulda been pretty amazing to see these two different species living together in harmony. I'm assuming they lived in harmony. Or they could just be like Americans. :(

Kidhuman
10-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow, Ollyphants Mr Chuxter, Ollyphants

InsaneJediGirl
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Very cool.I could see it happening as the first "humaniods" were not very tall to begin with.These guys just didnt get the hieght gene :)