PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Trial (feel free to spoiler-ize if you tell us first)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Well, I'm about 50+ pages in, and I have a list to compile:

Truce at Bakura
Planet of Twilight
Queen of the Empire
SW:Galaxies Ruins of Dantooine
Jedi Trial?

This could possibily be the worst SW novel ever written, but again, I'm too early to make that determination. Make your own decision.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, now I'm about 160+ pages in, and my opinion has changed a tad; it's not the worst SW novel ever written, but it's not all that great, either. I guess the biggest problem is that I don't care about the newly-introduced characters very much. They're not rounded enough to invoke a response in me. If they died, I'd give a Lenny from The Simpsons "eh." However, some interesting insights into the mind of Anakin are just that: thoughtfully interesting. Those are the only aspects I'm interested in reading about more.

[DSS]Pedr0
11-06-2004, 12:48 PM
This was kind of a fast read even for me. I finshed it with in 2-3 days of on and off reading. I wasnt too disappointed in how this book was written. Some parts didnt have enough suspense to them tho.

*SPOILERS* Maybe......

Theres some good tid-bits in this book. A Mention of a Senator named Tarkin from a well known Tarkin family. Commander Assajj Ventress makes a few appearances but nothing worth while. Gen. Grievous' name gets dropped a few times.

InsaneJediGirl
11-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Is it even worth picking up for a few bucks used down the road?Like from Amazon or something similar.One question I do have,is this Anakins trial or just another Clone Wars battle?I dont think its Anakins trial as I believe Republic is picking that up but you never know ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Well.

I finished this book.

For a while, after getting over the rough beginning, it was an okay book.

Then I read to the end.

Ugh.

I can now safely put it in the same category as the books mentioned above.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I give it a 4.9.

Why? Its dialogue is stiff, unnatural, and not appropriate to the SW galaxy at times. The descriptions are simplistic. The character names are weak (Odie? Erk? Green Wizard?) Bad, bad, bad. :ermm:

El Chuxter
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Man, I'm way behind on SW books, but the glowing (not) reviews for Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial aren't making me excited about catching up. :(

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 01:39 PM
As bad as this book sounds (as 99% of the Star Wars novels are), there is no way possible that it can be any worse that Rogue Planet.

Worst. Book. Ever.

InsaneJediGirl
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I would say Children of the Jedi/Crystal Star are worse then Rouge Planet,Although it comes close behind.Garbage races?How did Anakin even escape the Temple?

The comics have been much better in my opinion :)

El Chuxter
11-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Anything with Callista, Triclops, Trioculous, or Waru have to, by definition, be far worse than books that are merely poorly written.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Anything with Callista, Triclops, Trioculous, or Waru have to, by definition, be far worse than books that are merely poorly written.Chuxter, in Jedi Trial, there is a character named Odie. Her name is ODIE! And her "boyfriend" (yes, the book uses that term) is named Erk. ERK! Sounds like the sound you make when you realize you just paid $25 for a cruddy SW book. (Or if there was a country that dropped "Js" like Britain drops "Hs" then it'd be short for 'jerk' ;) ) Even Hologram Fun World isn't so bad, neither is a trash heap inter-dimensional slug with psuedo Force powers, nor a 3-eyed illegitimate Emperor's son. Well, maybe you do have a point there. :rolleyes:

SPOILER:

At the end of the novel (last 5 pages or so), there's a STUPID scene where Anakin takes on a new occupation. It made no sense. :eek: Well, actually I could see why the authors included it, but it was still dumb.

Tycho
11-26-2004, 07:36 PM
I have to agree it's on the level of Truce at Bakura or something, but the other books you listed are even worse.

I'm amused so far. Let my put it that way. I like meeting Halcyon. That's interesting - as well as getting a Banking Clan character similar to San Hill (with the purple tea).

Ventress is interesting.

I'm not done yet, but hopefully there will include a good reason to make Anakin a Jedi Knight.

I think he's had far harder "trials" in the Repulic comics, especially Jabiim and thinking his master was dead, then dealing with Ki and A'Shared.

Well, we'll see how this turns out.

mastermatt24
12-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Im so stupid I didnt even realize that there was allready a JT Thread.. Oh well if you didnt read it yet here is my review (It is like a week old): POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!

I finished reading Jedi Trial today and I still dont totaly know what I think of it. I would rate it a little above "eh". It was pretty good, I think that lots of the begining could have been cut out. I dont know how they really can call this "Anikan's Story" because it really doesnt only follow him. Like I said before they could have either cut out, or summerized, a lot of the begining and some of the middle, they spent way to much time on Slayke's army. Towards the very end I thought they needed to spend much more time on the space battle.. It was like he was on the ground then he was in space and BAM it was over.. Although they spent way to much time on a certian couple, I did like how they ended up. Not to say that it was bad but I expected more from two writers that were both ex army men, but if you were going to buy it I would say go for it because it is a good read. Another book that is out that I just started today is Dark Rendevouzs, the Yoda story, so far it is good. These past few months have been great for people who follow the books and comics!!

mastermatt24
12-03-2004, 06:18 PM
One thing is REALLY bothering me about the yoda book: I swear the author uses at least 2 stupid metaphors per page... :neutral: It really really bothers me, it wouldnt if they were better but they arent. Anyone else reading it?

dr_evazan22
12-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I finished JT this morning. All the good parts of the book could've been squeezed into a few chapters. IMO there were a lot of extraneous characters (like the scouts). The names were terrible, like BCJ mentioned. Ventress is shown on the cover and she barely appears in the book. And I was a bit ****ed that I wasted my time reading the parts where Mess Bolanger and the Fire Control droid explained about what they knew and what their jobs were. Did the authors just fall short of the number words they had to write? Setting a new low in the SW EU. I thought the last chapter did a decent job of setting up future events that will happen in other EU stories and ROTS.

Overall, I'll give it an "Eh" also, although that's a little generous.

Need to go out and get the Yoda book.

Tycho
02-09-2005, 02:42 AM
The Yoda book is great for those reading it and not tempted to just skip to Labrynth of Evil.

There's a thread on both those 2 books in this forum.

I've really enjoyed the Clone Wars as a whole. It's been very rewarding and with comics and Scholastic, it seems like it's even been on par with New Jedi Order, from the standpoint that CW has so much variety.

Anyway, in the end, I really enjoyed Jedi Trial and I give it a C+ I think. It was awesome as Anakin engaged in that ground battle and the realism of the war. I liked the characters and Grudo, etc.

Odie is the dog in the Garfield cartoons, and whenever he's confused or Garfield hits him, he sometimes makes a sound that's lettered "-Erk." I don't know if these military minds are also Garfield fans, but it's possible - as much as it's possible I'm way off base here.

Anyway, Jedi Trial was entertaining enough I'd re-read it without pain. That is so not the same for The Crystal Star, The New Rebellion, Planet of Twilight and Children of the Jedi. Sorry, but JT was much better and I'd read another book by these authors.

I'm sure that James Luceno is leagues better and beyond JT though - he has a track record that demonstrates he always is. I'll be reading JL's book right after I finish Dark Rendezvous.

dr_evazan22
02-09-2005, 06:16 AM
I agree, it has been a pretty good story arc overall.

I think they've done well showing Anakin as being reckless, in regards to his lack of consideration for the results and ramifications of his actions (a good example being towards the end of Dark Rendevous). Comparing the way Ani is to the way Luke is when Yoda says he's reckless, I don't see much of a comparison.

El Chuxter
04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
I finally got this book (I ordered it with the ROTS books and wanted something I could actually read before the end of May :)). I'm only about 30 pages in, but have to agree that I'm not particularly impressed. I have a serious problem with Neeja being, well, let's put it bluntly: a loser! How is this incompetent buffoon a Master? This has to be an impostor, with the real Neeja kicking butt and taking names back on Corellia.

And why does Anakin not immediately ask Neeja about his marriage? I mean, c'mon, he can't talk to Ki-Adi about it since Ki's on the Council, but wouldn't it make sense to somehow bring up the subject with the other married Jedi, since they seem to be buds now?