PDA

View Full Version : The "Saw" flicks!

2-1B
10-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Not a perfect film but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it rocked !
Great fun, especially seeing it the day before Halloween.

Anyone else see it ? I know there are some good fans of horror/thrillers around here so I'm curious to know what you thought of it.

Darth Jax
11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
i had been looking forward to this one for a long time. it was great i thought.

stillakid
11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Not yet, but I plan to see Saw. :D

derek
11-05-2004, 07:19 PM
i saw it. i was suprised by the ending. i really thought that hospital orderly was the one who was killing the people. but it turned out it wasn't him at all.

Hellboy
11-05-2004, 07:29 PM
i saw it. i was suprised by the ending. i really thought that hospital orderly was the one who was killing the people. but it turned out it wasn't him at all.

Thanks for the spoiler alert, while you're at it why not just reveal who the killer actually is. :rolleyes:

I plan on seeing it but haven't had the chance yet. Maybe this weekend. It does look creepy.

mrpauldeeds
11-08-2004, 12:19 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i hated it. SAW could have been much better. the story line and acting is what got to me. his "puzzles" were interging, and the positons of thet people in the puzzles, but come on, the ending was bad and all in all the whole movie just became pointless.

i would give it a D+, just for the creativity of the "puzzles"

Huckleberry Josh
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Hahahahaha.I laughed the entire time.It was an awesome movie.The acting was so terrible!I've never seen such bad acting in movie before except for a 70"s movie called "Frogs".But the film was quite enjoyable to me.I liked the story line.I didn't expect the ending at all.The best part in the whole movie was when the doctor got ****ed and started cussing and it seemed like everytime he cussed, he would break out into a kind of english accent.He called the guy a "bastard ****".What the crap is that!!?I almost ****ed my pants laughing at that part.Oh it was great!

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Frogs?! Oh for heavens sake.............................

Give me youre tootsie, oh what a big tootsie..............

Grif
11-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Mixed emotions about this one. One a pretty descent horror story with a lot of twists. And on the other hand the worst acting i have seen in a while. If i was rating it out of ten i would probably give it a 7. Also one of the funniest movies i have seen simply do to the terrible acting and a few random lines which didn't make much since to me.

2-1B
11-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Yeah, the acting sure takes a beating in many of the reviews I have read . . . myself, I wasn't as put off by it.

Cary Elwes may have gotten a bit overly hammy in some scenes and sure his British accent broke out at times but . . . what do you expect, he's Cary Elwes ! :crazed:

The guy who played Adam was the film's screenwriter, I believe.

Rocketboy
11-13-2004, 02:38 AM
This pile of crap ranks right up there as one of the worst movies I've seen all year.
I'm ticked that I wasted my money on it.

James Boba Fettfield
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Take a look at that sweet packaging (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5264&n=1&burl=).

Now why is there a Rated R on the back cover?! Unrated, Lions Gate, make it the unrated version!

This is the same company that is supposed to release Haute...-excuse me, I mean High Tension in its original form for US distribution? Right.

Slicker
12-03-2004, 12:33 PM
I actually enjoyed the movie. That was literally the best scary movie ending that I've ever seen. I never Saw (Hah I made a funny) that one coming.

Rocketboy
12-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Take a look at that sweet packaging (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5264&n=1&burl=).The package is pretty cool (depsite the typo). Too bad the movie sucked.

Darth Jax
12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
(depsite the typo)

Typos suck. i enjoyed the movie, but there were just too many little things that didn't fit when i look back on it.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm not too big on this packaging. The actual DVD case is shrinkwrapped but the slipcase is not so of course there were plenty of scuffed copies to dig through. :rolleyes:

And I didn't like how the price sticker didn't come off the slipcase - thankfully I had a bottle of Goo Gone handy. :D

sith_killer_99
02-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I really enjoyed this film, I put it right up there with "Seven" maybe even better.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I really like the way it ended. The killer dosen't get caught, but you know he's gonna die anyway! In a way everything he's doing is just an extension of what he is going through. He has a terminal condition and only a limited amount of time to live, so he goes around putting people in near impossible situations then he gives them a choice.

2-1B
02-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Apparently he has a few more days to live, considering the upcoming sequel. :D

scruffziller
02-20-2005, 10:27 AM
This pile of crap ranks right up there as one of the worst movies I've seen all year.
I'm ticked that I wasted my money on it.

Really. Did you figure it out way early? Is that why you hated it? Besides the bad acting? But I am biased toward intellectual stuff. If the movie gets me thinking then I really don't care about the acting quality or story progression quality.

sith_killer_99
02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Apparently he has a few more days to live, considering the upcoming sequel.

SEQUEL?!?!

Way to reuin a perfectly good movie with a perfect ending!

I love films that end on a down note, maybe that's why I liked T3 so much! :D

Leave it to Hollywood to cash in on anything they can. :rolleyes:

scruffziller
02-20-2005, 02:21 PM
SEQUEL?!?!

Way to reuin a perfectly good movie with a perfect ending!

I love films that end on a down note, maybe that's why I liked T3 so much! :D

Leave it to Hollywood to cash in on anything they can. :rolleyes:

Yea there is a sequel in pre-production.

Also rumor has it that T4(announced for 2006) is probably going to have Ahnuuld after all.

Rocketboy
02-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Really. Did you figure it out way early? Is that why you hated it? Besides the bad acting? But I am biased toward intellectual stuff. If the movie gets me thinking then I really don't care about the acting quality or story progression quality.No, I didn't figure it out (well, I did expect some sort of twist/suprise). The movie was just bad with a capital B.

Slicker
02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Also rumor has it that T4(announced for 2006) is probably going to have Ahnuuld after all.They left it wide enough open that they better make a T4.

evenflow
02-20-2005, 08:09 PM
It was cool, I liked the ending.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I saw Saw II, did you see Saw II, too ?

I loved it. Donnie Wahlberg is in it and what a fine actor he's become since his NKOTB days, plus he's in that upcoming Annapolis movie.

Anyway, if you hated Saw you won't like this one either but if you liked SAw then this sequel is a lock. I liked it more than the first one. And I didn't feel that it was just a cash in sequel, Leigh Wannel and his buddies really tried to make a quality followup here and I think they succeeded.

Yeah it's cheesy but who cares, it's a fun pair of flicks. :)

Jigsaw rocks ! :D

Hellboy
11-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I'll check it out on DVD but seeing as how I found the first film to be pretty average I'm not holding out to much hope. Looks like more of the same to me but I like Donnie Wahlberg too (post NKOTB of course) so I'll give it a chance.

Darth Jax
11-12-2005, 09:20 PM
i saw saw, now i've seen saw 2 too. not a totally bad little movie. should they make a saw 3, as rumored; we may finally have another horror movie franchise on our hands.

jlw
11-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I watched them both in theatres when they came out. I didn't even know what the first one was about, so it really took me by surprise. I thought the second one was really great:

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER (WARNING DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

SPOILER (THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING)

SPOILER (O.K. I LIED THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING)

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was that the "number in the back of your mind" was too easy to figure out. Did any of you figure out what the "at the end of the rainbow" meant. I figured it out driving home after the movie. The numbers were written in different colors. There were 7 people in the room, seven colors to the rainbow, put the numbers in order (ROY G. BIV) and you have the combination to the safe.

I really liked the "Usual Suspects" type twist at the end of the movie. Really look forward to Saw 3!

Turbowars
10-28-2006, 01:33 AM
It just had the feeling of SAW. Something was missing in 2 but it's back in 3. I hope they can keep them coming. Go see it if you like junk like this.

2-1B
10-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I see Turbowars started a Saw 3 thread but I don't want to open it yet because I can't see the movie until next Friday...needless to say, I am looking forward to it. :)

I hope Rocketboy will join me. :grin:

Turbowars
10-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I see Turbowars started a Saw 3 thread but I don't want to open it yet because I can't see the movie until next Friday...needless to say, I am looking forward to it. :)

I hope Rocketboy will join me. :grin:
No need to worry, I didn't say anything, but that I liked it.:thumbsup:

2-1B
10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Gottcha, thanks Turbs. :D

I was paranoid because I want to go spoiler free for this one...last night JimJam and I watched 1 and 2 back to back along with another friend and we're not doin' 3 until next weekend so I'm touchy on the spoilers. :crazed:

Well, I still liked 2 and in some ways it's better than 1 and other ways not. I like both of them, what can I say. lol

JimJamBonds
10-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I still want to know what is up with that rosery in Saw II?!?!?!

General_Grievous
11-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I saw this last night. Halloween screening, baby. I'm not going to spoil anything, so I'll just say that I liked this the best of the three. The first one got too boring for me, the second was too much of a run-of-the-mill teen slasher flick with the booby trapped house, but this one nailed it for me. The ending was insane. You don't really expect it. Oh, and FYI, I just read on imdb that "Saw IV" has been greenlit for next year.

P.S. There was also a Hostel II teaser attached in my screening, did anyone else catch it?

Turbowars
11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
P.S. There was also a Hostel II teaser attached in my screening, did anyone else catch it?
Yeah I saw that as well, I hope it's better than the 1st one. Don't get me wrong I love T n A, but the the last 1/4 of the film was the good stuff.

I still like SAW 1 the best, but SAW 3 did capture some of the feeling of SAW 1.

2-1B
11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I liked Saw III last night but the first was probably the best...I liked Saw II as well and III was fun, I liked that it referenced back to the first one and tied it all up.

Saw IV ? Lame, that should go straight to DVD. It shouldn't even be made but if it is, it should go straight to DVD.

I was ticked at the way Kerry's storyline went in Saw III. I loved the resolution with Det. Matthews, though.

jlw
11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
"resoulution"?

What are you talking about? Unless I'm just forgetting something....

SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!! (DON'T READ THIS POST)

LAST WARNING SPOILER ALERT!!!

We never really found out what happened to the guy in the first movie (Dred Pirate Roberts) who cut his foot off. OK, we never really find out for sure if NKOTB Donnie is killed. Its implied, but not proven. Also, what was the deal with the flashback scenes of Jigsaw and the blonde (his wife?), lastly what was the deal with "there's an envelope for you in the drawer"? She reads the letter, they make a deal of if with her crying, but NOTHING is ever explained.

I liked the 1st one best of all because of the surprise ending "revelation" (much like "I am your father" from the early 80s). Saw 3 just did not have that "put the pieces together" kinda story. As far as I could tell, the husband with the gun was in no real danger. Also, they kidnapped the husband and the wife, did ya really think they didn't get the daughter??!! I mean come on.

I'm glad there will be a Saw 4, maybe it can tie up some loose ends.

2-1B
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
The only resolution I was referring to was just what I said - Det. Matthews - and none of those other plotlines. I think he's dead, Amanda killed him (remember she pointed out how "he didn't change"). Had Amanda been playing by the rules, she wouldn't have gone back after him. We know she didn't play by the rules because of how Kerry died and how that guy in the chains was welded into the room...he never had a chance. That didn't fit Jigsaw's M.O., but it did fit Amanda's murderous ways. She killed Matthews, methinks.

Darth Jax
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
after seeing the movie yesterday i'd agree that the first is the best. it had suspense and and got plenty of shocks without having to resort to straight gore. the second relied more on the gore aspect and didn't have quite the suspense or elicit as many shocks. the third didn't really have any shocks, there wasn't much suspense, although the gore was definitely over-the-top (and could've been worse).

i too feel that there are lots of loose ends that weren't effectively tied up by the end of III. IV is sure to be a letdown, though i'll be awaiting it's arrival for next halloween. i don't know that they'll be able to stretch the series out beyond that without going to a "prequel" movie.

2-1B
11-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Something I didn't like about part 3 is that the people locked up in Jeff's test had absolutely no "say" in their own outcome...the naked woman who was frozen, the judge who was nearly drowned in pig slop, and the driver who got twisted around had absolutely no chance of freeing themselves, unless I guess you count having to convince Jeff to save them. That still doesn't fit the idea of having to suffer to survive though, you know ?

JetsAndHeels
11-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I thought the part where she did the brain procedure on John was pretty cool. Alot of folks in the theater were freaking out (wusses) but I liked it.

That machine the driver was in...the rack...that thing was brutal..I felt horrible for that guy!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Something I didn't like about part 3 is that the people locked up in Jeff's test had absolutely no "say" in their own outcome...the naked woman who was frozen, the judge who was nearly drowned in pig slop, and the driver who got twisted around had absolutely no chance of freeing themselves, unless I guess you count having to convince Jeff to save them. That still doesn't fit the idea of having to suffer to survive though, you know ?

Well, essentially they all lost their chance to survive when they didn't act or were all involved in Jeff's child and that whole thing.
the chick- didn't come forward as a witness
The judge- gave the guy a BS sentence
driver- hit his son!

Had they not been in these predicaments, they would not have been picked up by Jigsaw & Co in the first place.

I saw the film last weekend and loved it. Here is my review I posted on my blog:

"Saw III"- "I wanna play a game." Ah, yes words spoke by then now immortalized puppet, you know the one: riding in on his children's tricylce, red paint on his cheeks, that freaky *** hair strayed about and that fantastic, spooky giggle he lets out from time to time. Jigsaw returns for a third flick, accompanied by his apprentice, the former druggie Amanda, whom he saved and later recruited in the earlier flicks. The movie starts off with the familiar screams of Detective Matthews from "Saw II" (played by Donnie Wahlberg). I'm sorry, whenever I see him i think of one thing: his creepy scene in "The 6th Sense" as the guy in Bruce willis's bathroom in his undies, mumbling, "I do...I do." We see him attempt to get his foot out of the chain...and well, use your imagination. The film then takes us to some police officers attempting to track down Jigsaw, only finding what's left of one his victims. It's the partner of Matthews, Dectective Kerry as she's attempting to locate Matthews and Jigsaw. We then meet a few new characters who will soon meet Jigsaw and have to deal with his games. The reason I love these flicks is simple: Jigsaw is a badass. He says he's not a murderer and by all account, he's TECHNICALLY correct. He puts his "subjects" in situations that they can either escape or let themselves die. And there is a method to his madness: he only selects people who have given up on life, who are, as he says, "Dead on the inside" and attempts to rejuvinate them, and let them get a new lease on life. He takes those lowest folks and injects some life into them, or at least tries to. For example, I think it was the first flick where there was the guy who made his living out of being a liar and a rat. Jigsaw captures him, dopes him up and he wakes up, hooked up to some crazy *** device and the key? In his eye socket, where his eye used to be. His eyes being his means of his line of work, Jigsaw removes one of them, still leaving him one in case he lives. And this aspect, in some crazy way: I love. He sees himself more as a revolutionary, a bringer of life versus a killer. In fact, he often states, "I hate murderers." And c'mon, that voice: holy crap it's great. I want it, if only for a day. I just want to go to Burger King and order something via drive thru in that raspy, cold, voice. I guarantee my order wouldn't be messed up. If you go into this flick expecting gore, violence, a jump or two, and lots of messed up sights, you're good to go. The flick is very grim, filmed in much darkness and dimly lit areas, enhancing that mood of the first and somewhat second of the second flick. The devices in this one: holy monkey, they're pretty insane. A few times, everybody in the theater was squirming in their seats; good times. What i loved about this flick is that there are a good amount of flashbacks, revealing more about not only Jigsaw, but Amanda and their eventual pairing up. It's intersting to see how he takes her in and she accepts him. It's almost, dare i say, endearing, in a really really ****ed up way. And let's not forget that Jigsaw is always one step ahead of the game, a few trick and new additions up his sleeve, still always ready to get philosophical for you. All in all, another fine addition to the "Saw" flicks and now I won't feel like a hack when his figures get here. Yes, you read that: I have Jigsaw figures on order that should be here this week. TWo versions, one of his usual hooded self: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC10219&mode=retail&picture=out and a variant of him in the pig head: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC10412&mode=retail&picture=out Very good flick, if you love this sort of thing. And honestly, who DOESN'T?!?! Rating- ***1/2 out of ****

and according to IMDB, Jessica Alba has been signed on to "Saw IV." :(

Darth Jax
11-11-2006, 02:32 PM
and according to IMDB, Jessica Alba has been signed on to "Saw IV." :(

her and goran visjinic, the guy from er, are the only 2 listed at this point (and i doubt either one will actually be in saw IV). only casting info i'd believe right now is if they said jeff is returning.

2-1B
10-23-2008, 12:53 AM
HEY! :mad:

I just realized my original thread title was changed. :(

At least the Jessica Alba news was changed, as well. :thumbsup:

WWJD ? I love the Saw 5 tagline of What Would Jigsaw Do. :evil:

JimJamBonds
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure if this is elsewhere on SSG but I told 2 1B the other day that I was watching a KRUSTY show the other day about picking some bimbo to be in Saw VI.

2-1B
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
probably Jessica Alba...

Darth Jax
10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
It's just one more entry into the reality tv hall of shame from vh1. scream queen were the winner gets to make a cameo in saw 6