PDA

View Full Version : DO you play with your toys?

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 09:54 AM
WHat do you do with them? How do you display them? If you open them, do you play with them? I have them MOC in some totes right now. I had to sacrifice the space to give the kids their own rooms. But I had them displayed on the walls. Kind of a good thing I took them down becuase I ran out of wall space to display all of them.

Exhaust Port
11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
I don't play with any of them. I'm an opener and have them all on display on shelves.

El Chuxter
11-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Define "play." A friend of mine once said setting them up in scenes constitutes playing. :p

Rocketboy
11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
After I open them, and before I put them on the shelf, I definitely check them out for a little bit, but I wouldn't call it playing with them.

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 03:16 PM
I meant play, like bang bang, swoosh, I cut your head off with a saber play. I dont think setting them up in dioramas like ACPin is playing, its more displaying.

stillakid
11-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Does burning them in protest constitute "playing?" :confused:

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Unless you're recreating The Towering Inferno or Godzilla, then no

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
I live at home when I'm not in college with four kids under 17 (five if we count Lord Malakite :D ) and my youngest sister is five years old. She likes when her older siblings make time to play with her, so I, at 20 years of age, have played with some of my open double figures of SW with her. Other than that, I really don't play with toys.

...though that super articulated 18" Spider-Man was played with while I was waiting for a movie to start, but come on...give me a break on that one.

Ji'dai
11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Nah, I just open & display them. I do have carded doubles of OTC and VOTC hanging on the walls but I usually store carded figs in 50 gallon tubs. As of October 31st I had approximately 612 figures on display (553 loose & 59 carded).

LusiferSam
11-01-2004, 08:40 PM
When I first open my figure (or vehicles, playsets, etc.) I'll play with them for a little bit. It never to long or hard enough to hurt them, but just to get a feel. You know a bit like a test drive. But over all I don't play with them.

Legos on the other hand I do play with. Always the first thing to be opened, I'll built the main model, play with it and put it away. Later I play with it some more, but maybe this time building something new or taking the bricks for a project. Who knows.

B'Omarr Monkey
11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Mine are currently (and hopefully, temporarily) loose and stored in bins, until I figure out how I'm going to display them all. All my vintage stuff is well played with, but still in really decent shape--much better shape than I usually see vintage figures being sold in.

When I played with my vintage stuff I didn't play with them in the traditional SW roles. The names were the same, but the characters were slightly different. Vader was actually a good guy, and I mixed in my micronauts and assorted other SF-type toys which I set up on a huge 6-foot by 3-foot table which was something of a spaceport since I had so many ships. Part of my play was around a scenario involving the imminent arrival of the most evil guy in the Universe--Baron Karza. When my parents neglected to get me Baron Karza for Christmas that year, I was thrown. Then The toys eventually went into a display mode on shelves, all play abandoned.

Years later I found Baron Karza, and though I was too old to really play with toys, I set everything up again to the best of my memory and finished the storyline. It wasn't the same, and even seemed a little sad.

At the same time though, there's a part of me tempted to take out all my SW toys and have a massive adventure with them. Sadly, so few other current toy lines are in scale with them to throw some new characters in the mix.

The only game I've really played with my SW toys in the past few years was "what is the least contorted stance I can position this figure in and still make them stand up." Dash Rendar and the POTF Hoth Rebel were usually the big losers in that game.

stillakid
11-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Micronauts! Sweet! I'm not afraid to say that Micronauts were actually my favorite toys back in the day for awhile over Star Wars. They couldn't stand the test of time though. So I sold the whole collection on Ebay a few years ago. But man, I remember REALLY wanting that BattleCruiser...and the Christmas I got it...WOW! I was in Heaven. :D

bobafrett
11-03-2004, 10:38 AM
I have a majority of my collection in the package with which they came upon purchase. The few souls (do toys really have souls?) I have let loose, get displayed. I have played with the OT Stormtrooper with the articulation. Besides when I play with them, I have a tendency to loose the weapons.

InsaneJediGirl
11-03-2004, 08:39 PM
I have mine in temporary storage,but I open nearly 85 percent of my action figures and set them up on bookcases in cool little poses with one another or my take on dioramas.I do play with them once and a while and move the display around and switch out figures.Fun to do :)

Tycho
11-09-2004, 01:31 AM
I PLAY!!!

First and foremost, I buy only what I plan to open - and when I do I start appreciating them by SNIFFING THEM! New figures smell like they're new and that rocks! Freshness is always a factor at Tycho's House!

Second, I test-set dioramas. My goal is to turn my home into an interplanetary-museum with almost every scene in every movie set up to recreate it all with toys! - right down to the background characters.

Third, firing missles are the best! What do you do when you buy a bunch of SA Clone Troopers with no foothole pegs on the bottom of their feet and you've lined them up to test-set how many it takes to make nice neat rows? AH-HA! I knew they made the Hailfire Droid for a reason! Games you can play with firing missles:

1) Hailfire vs. lined up Clones. (almost the best game you can play! Hard to aim)
2) AT-AT vs. lined up Rebel Soldiers (very limited firepower though)
3) Jango's Slave-One vs. just about anything in your collection you can think of shooting at! (the best attack vehicle I've ever fired missles from!)
4) Republic Gunship vs. Battle Droids in Columns (hard to miss with the large top cannons)
5) AAT Tank vs. Gungans - 4 shots can nicely take some down "bombad"

I've tested other ships too:

Geonosian Fighters have highly inaccurate aim
Jedi Starfighters have limited fire-power
TIE Bombers are not too accurate either
Naboo Fighters are great for surgical strikes
AT-ST stomping action is fun on Ewoks
Landspeeder, wheels locked in, can go fast gliding over carpet and run over columns of Jawas!

Speederbikes and TIE Fighters are fun to make crash and "blow up"

The Royal Starship's elevator is cool to move around your droids.

Vintage playsets (Death Star, Imperial Attack Base (Hoth) etc. still rock!)

Anyway...

Fourth, I build my scenes. This can take days or even weeks of planning and art work and a lot of effort, but it's fun and cool when you finish to spend an hour just staring at your results. I've really run out of room for new scenes, so I just test-set stuff from the new movies, but I can't wait to get a large house and really set stuff up cool! Once things are in a scene, I kind of weep because then I can't play with them. I get this really cool pose for a character, and then never want to chance messing it up. For this reason amongst others, I really like Galactic Heroes and Unleashed - there's nothing to mess up.

Oh - and the 12" AOTC talking fighting figures (Jango vs. Obi-Wan) are still a riot around here:

"Give up Bounty Hunter!"

"You can't escape me! You will not survive!"

"UGggh! Ahhh! Hughhhh! Arrrrgggh!" Pzzzzzjooouuuuuu - vvvvooouuujjjjj - vvvvoujjjjj - tcheewwwww- tcheewwwww- tchewwwwww!"