PDA

View Full Version : Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2004, 06:06 PM
I know it was a television show, but since this is discussing movies I thought the discussion (if any occurs) would be best suited to be in this forum. Also, I'm moderator of this section, so I'll do what I want! Insert bald Tom Savini smile: :beard:

I am also aware of Jon's thread that is sort of related to this, but he was asking about our personal top 10, so I thought I would keep them separate.

Here's the list of all 100:

100. 28 Days Later
99. Creepshow
98. Zombie
97. Cat People
96. The Birds
95. Jurassic Park
94. Child's Play
93. Pacific Heights
92. Village of the Damned (1960)
91. Shallow Grave (1994)
90. Night of the Hunter
89. Alice Sweet Alice
88. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
87. Black Christmas
86. Wizard of Oz
85. Blood & Black Lace
84. Blue Velvet
83. The Others
82. Terminator
81. The Howling
80. Poltergeist
79. Dracula (1931)
78. The Brood
77. Signs
76. Evil Dead
75. Candyman
74. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
73. Blood Simple
72. Them!
71. The Sixth Sense
70. The Stepfather
69. Re-Animator
68. The Black Cat
67. Duel
66. The Tenant
65. Marathon Man
64. Near Dark
63. Deliverance
62. The Wolf Man (1941)
61. The Devil's Backbone
60. The Beyond
59. Fatal Attraction
58. Cujo
57. House of Wax
56. Single White Female
55. The Vanishing
54. The Changeling
53. Demons
52. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
51. The Dead Zone
50. The Last House on the Left
49. Diabolique
48. The Thing (1982)
47. Nosferatu
46. The Sentinel
45. The Wicker Man
44. The Game
43. It's Alive!
42. An American Werewolf in London
41. The Hills Have Eyes
40. Black Sunday
39. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
38. Peeping Tom
37. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
36. Cape Fear (1962)
35. Aliens
34. The Hitcher
33. The Fly (1986)
32. Pet Sematary
31. Friday the 13th
30. Blair Witch Project
29. Serpent and the Rainbow
28. When a Stranger Calls
27. Frankenstein (1931)
26. Seven
25. Phantasm
24. Suspiria
23. Rosemary's Baby
22. Don't Look Now
21. Jacob's Ladder
20. The Ring (American remake)
19. Hellraiser
18. The Haunting (1963)
17. A Nightmare on Elm Street
16. The Omen
15. Freaks
14. Halloween
13. Scream
12. Misery
11. Audition
10. Wait Until Dark (1967)
9. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
8. Carrie (1976)
7. Silence of the Lambs
6. Shining (Kubrick's, not the one made for tv...as if that version would even be on here!)
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
4. Psycho (1960)
3. Exorcist
2. Alien
1. Jaws

So, has anyone seen all of these films? I know I have not. I have seen roughly three quarters of this list. *hears the cries of, "And you call yourself a horror fan!"*

There's definitely a few of these I would like to see, like Shallow Grave. The clip on Bravo showed Obi-Wan McGregor in the film. I will see the film for him.

All in all, a fine list. I never understood the appeal of Jaws, so I was not happy with its number one spot, but overall a very good list. Well, I suppose I'll leave this and wait for some comments. It's been too long without a good horror discussion.

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 06:33 PM
How in the hell is Misery scary? Willy WOnka? WTF?

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Misery was scary because it was a situation that you could see actually happening, unlike something like The Beyond where Hell opens up and starts unleashing the undead onto earth.

And that ankle breaking scene is terrible. Flop goes the foot, and I cry.

Willy Wonka, I do not know about. The oompa loompas (spelling on that?) and the tunnel scene were the scenes the show brought up as for why it might be scary.

I do give it credit for being based on a good Roald Dahl story, though. Roald Dahl is great, and I hope his series of Tales of the Unexpected I purchased on dvd holds up to the reviews.

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 06:47 PM
I'll give you Willy Wonka but not Misery, especially at number 12. The ankle scene is gross and hurts just to watch it, but it aint number 12 scary.

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm not arguing the placement of Misery. I just wanted to give you the scenes/reasons they had for placing it where they did.

I suppose it depends on what scares you. Some of us cry when a zombie appears (like me) and others do not see the horror.

I think the biggest injustice on the list is the placement of Scream so high. When I was watching the show and saw it that high... :frus:

Darth Jax
11-01-2004, 07:06 PM
after watching the show i really want to see Audition.

i've seen shallow grave, it's pretty good.

since it was "movie moments" i can understand including some movies that aren't really horror/sci fi and barely contain any scares. but willy wonka could be more fitting for the list after tim burton is done with it. the ankle scene in misery isn't even the best one (although it does make me cringe everytime). the best scene is the sheriff finding Paul downstairs right before Annie finds the sheriff.

i was surprised that amityville horror didn't make the list. i also would've ranked poltergeist much higher, i know i'm not the only one that has hated clowns ever since that movie.

B'Omarr Monkey
11-01-2004, 11:25 PM
I've seen everything on the list except Pacific Heights, Black Christmas (which I've heard good things about), Demons and Audition (which I've also heard good things about).

I think all of us could argue about the rankings and what made the list and what didn't, but the threads polling our top 50 wanted SW figures are too fresh in my memory to want to start that all over again here. ;)

"Shallow Grave" was really good IMO. I saw it in the theatre twice when it came out. I think this was Ewan's 1st movie, and I could tell right then that he was going to be big. Scary, though? Not particularly.

I missed this special, and heard it was actually really good. Is there anyone out there who taped it and can make me a copy?

Rocketboy
11-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm usually bored through most horror movies.
They tend to be predictable with really flat out stupid characters or they just aren't that scary.
The only one I've ever been even a little scared, and I hesitate to use the word scared (tensed would be a better word), was Signs. Perfect use of the unseen enemy.

Darth Mina
11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
When the show got to the number one I felt like I had just wasted three nights of my life what a disapoinment, Jaws more like yawn :rolleyes:

stillakid
11-01-2004, 11:43 PM
They left out the moment in Farenheit 9/11 when our Commander and Chief sat on his arse for 7 minutes whilst the country was being attacked. THAT was scary. Reality beats the crap out of fiction every time. :eek:

One of the SCARIEST films I ever saw though was HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER. If you like to be chilled to the core, I recommend seeing this...once. :sur:

Darth Mina
11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
They left out the moment in Farenheit 9/11 when our Commander and Chief sat on his arse for 7 minutes whilst the country was being attacked. THAT was scary. Reality beats the crap out of fiction every time. :eek:
Couldn't agree more with you that is the scariest moment ever recorded on film

Rocketboy
11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Don't forget Dubya's creepy half laugh thing he does.
*shudder*

Dr Zoltar
11-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm glad Phantasm was mentioned. It's still a good horror flick even at being 30 years old.

So why was Evil Dead on the list and not Evil Dead 2?

James Boba Fettfield
11-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Maybe because in certain horror circles, ED2 is viewed as a bigger budget remake of the original. Now, I don't believe that, but quite a few people do.

That might explain why the list has The Ring (American version) and not the Japanese version. That's a choice that puzzles me.

I think Evil Dead 1 is more horror than 2, but I love 2 more. Ash going crazy and being laughed at by everything in the cabin, that's great!

JON9000
11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
and the tunnel scene were the scenes the show brought up as for why it might be scary.
That was scary when I was a kid.

James Boba Fettfield
11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/search.bravo?month=2005-12&keyword=Scariest&start=today

Bravo will reair all five episodes this Friday starting at 9. Check the show out, lots of good interviews. From Bruce Campbell to Dario Argento to Tom Savini!

Hellboy
11-04-2004, 07:24 PM
I watched the show and to my surprise really enjoyed it. I was however a bit disappointed with the omission of all Dario Argento's work beyond Suspiria though. I also think it deserved a much higher ranking than #24 but oh well, much of the list's order was not in line with what I feel so no biggie. I think some of his other films like Deep Red and Tenebre deserved to make the list over some of the more tame choices like Willy Wonka or Wizard of OZ.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I scanned throught hat list and I counted only 51 titles that I can recall seeing. Meh.

So what scene was used from Suspiria ?

And what scene from Zombie ? I assume they used the eyeball scene but my favorite would be the Conquistador rising from his shallow grave to begin a new conquest. :D
But I'm kind of like Jaymz in the sense that I'm not frightened by it, but rather turned on. :crazed:

Jaws - I love that movie and it will always be near to my heart for sentimental reasons.

El Chuxter
02-18-2005, 03:13 PM
They obviously missed the dancing scene from Napoleon Dynamite.

Slicker
02-18-2005, 03:23 PM
They obviously missed the dancing scene from Napoleon Dynamite.I'm hoping that was a good comment or else yer treadin' on thin ice Chux, and I'm about to throw you a cinder block.;)

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Zombie was the scene with the conquistador rising, if I remember right.

Suspira was the part where you see the eyes and the hands come crashing through the glass. I am not sure if they expanded the scene to go beyond the glass breaking or not, though.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh yeah, I love that scene from Suspiria with the hands and eyes. Creepy. :D