PDA

View Full Version : *Spoilers* Episode 3 Sneak Preview Set!

Battle Droid
11-01-2004, 09:01 PM
From, http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=3569&zoneid=2

We've got BIG LEGO news in the form of a couple of sweet catalog photos showing a package and loose photo of the sneak preview set (7256 Jedi Starfighter and Vulture Droid) coming in February as well as a list of upcoming Revenge of the Sith items for 2005.

http://www.galactichunter.com/photo.asp?image=absoluteNm/articlefiles/3569-lego.jpg

http://www.galactichunter.com/photo.asp?image=absoluteNm/articlefiles/3569-lego2.jpg

In addition, a nifty new feature for the ROTS sets include light-up lightsabers for the mini figures in "Try Me" packaging. Enjoy!

7256 - Jedi Starfighter & Vulture Droid (Feb.2005)
7263 - Tie Fighter (Feb.2005)
7251 - Darth Vader Transformation (April 2005)
7250 - Clone Scout Walker (April 2005)
7252 - Droid Tri-Fighter (April 2005)
7255 - General Grievous Chase (April 2005)
7257 - Ultimate Lightsaber Duel (April 2005)
7258 - Wookiee Attack (April 2005)
7259 - ARC-170 Fighter (April 2005)
7260 - Wookiee Catamaran (April 2005)
7261 - Clone Turbo Tank (April 2005)

Kidhuman
11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Sweet, gonna love these. I am very happy that these will be coming soon. Add more money to my wallet for Midnight madness

aceguide
11-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Finally - some news from Lego. Nice touch having the preview be a starfighter - again. I thought the orginal Jedi Starfighter was a great build/toy. This one looks very nice as well. Big cannons are always fun.

LusiferSam
11-02-2004, 11:40 AM
In addition, a nifty new feature for the ROTS sets include light-up lightsabers for the mini figures in "Try Me" packaging. Enjoy!
I'll be real interested to see how this works. My personal guess is that someone doesn't have the details right on this.

7251 - Darth Vader Transformation (April 2005)
7255 - General Grievous Chase (April 2005)
7258 - Wookiee Attack (April 2005)
7260 - Wookiee Catamaran (April 2005)
Over all I can't say I'm real exited about this list (yet). The "Vulture Droid" isn't real very cool, but I do like the Jedi Starfighter. The Vader transformation sounds like it could be pretty cool (have to see the movie first). But the Wookiee Attack and Grievous Chase I'm not so sure on.

mastermatt24
11-02-2004, 08:21 PM
WOW!! I can actually say im excited about these!! Why cant hasbro make some of this stuff??? Now I REALLY have to save money! Anyone know a person that does finances? ( ;) )

Jangu Fett
11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I can't wait to see what Grevious looks like lego form. And what about the light-up lightsabres?

JediTricks
11-04-2004, 11:40 PM
I suspect the sabers will have to plug into something, like a light pack with fiber optics that end in handles, they used to have a similar design back in the day for Technic.

The Jedi Starfighter looks pretty cool, I like the TIE window, way more elegant than the way LEGO does their TIE Fighters. The cockpit here is pretty cool too really, looks way better than what they did for the AOTC Jedi Starfighter. The Vulture Droid looks pretty bland, too reminiscent of the TPM Droid Fighter, though that's probably on purpose.

mastermatt24
11-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey JT- I have to say this, dont tell Tycho but, when I scrolled down to read your post I thought your avatar was a picture of him!! Lol!

JediTricks
11-05-2004, 11:41 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! At first I didn't see what you meant, but a second later I saw it. Well, that's it for my gilligan-tar! :p

I hope Lego doesn't make Grievous out of parts like they did the Destroyer Droid.

mastermatt24
11-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Dont you think that it did kind of look like him though?

JediTricks
11-07-2004, 09:30 PM
That fuzzy little picture? Yeah, it did, definitely.

LusiferSam
11-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I suspect the sabers will have to plug into something, like a light pack with fiber optics that end in handles, they used to have a similar design back in the day for Technic.
I've been thinking about these light up sabers, and I've had a few thought on them. First the Technic fiber optic system from the mid 90's isn't the way to go. Its too big and bulky for mini-figures.

Second, is I know I've been assuming the accessory was meant to be removable. But think for a minute, how did Hasbro do the same thing a few years back? They had the lightsaber molded into the hand. With that there are a few ways I can image pulling this off.

aceguide
11-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Is there any word when this should surface at retail?

JediTricks
11-08-2004, 07:31 PM
LusiferSam, I don't think they could put batteries into the figures, the standard minifigure's torso is only about 1mm bigger than the standard A76 button-cell battery - I just measured, it's only 1mm wider and 2mm deeper on the OUTSIDE, not enough room to put in electronics, even if they were just a pair of wires and some thin contacts.

My thinking is that there will be some sort of brick, a box about 3 inches around and an inch tall (to accomodate batteries and electronics) with some fiber-optic lines coming out, these fiber-optic lines will either end in lightsaber handles or plug into lightsaber handles. Then, the standard minifigure will simply hold the lightsaber that is tethered to that box.

As for retail, I dunno yet, Lego hasn't gotten back to me on this.

LusiferSam
11-08-2004, 10:33 PM
LusiferSam, I don't think they could put batteries into the figures, the standard minifigure's torso is only about 1mm bigger than the standard A76 button-cell battery - I just measured, it's only 1mm wider and 2mm deeper on the OUTSIDE, not enough room to put in electronics, even if they were just a pair of wires and some thin contacts.
I never said anything in my last post about how it would be done, just I had a couple of ideas. I've seen a number of tiny LED out there. Now I agree that there's isn't much room in the mini figure for an LED and battery and fiber optic and wires (I'm thinking torso, head and legs). But what if its just the LED, wires and fiber optic? I'm thinking is you have a battery box (hopefully not the old style 6 battery power pack) and a big electric plate (for plenty of play room). Now the mini figure is going to be all one piece (like the key chains), with the LED in the head (or torso) and a fiber optic cable snaking down into the arm and to the lightsaber which is molded in the the hand. The feet will have the metal contacts in them, so which you place the figure on the set (with the power on) the lightsaber will light up.

My thinking is that there will be some sort of brick, a box about 3 inches around and an inch tall (to accomodate batteries and electronics) with some fiber-optic lines coming out, these fiber-optic lines will either end in lightsaber handles or plug into lightsaber handles. Then, the standard minifigure will simply hold the lightsaber that is tethered to that box.
I thought about this one myself, but I don't like the idea of having the lightsabers tethered like that (personally I hate the idea of a non standard mini figure more). My second idea was again having an one piece mini figure with lightsaber, but this time have just fiber optics in it. Now you have a "light" brick, for lack of a better term, with power and light source all in one. There a special places for the mini figures to stand and light up. When not in use these spots are covered with plate bricks.

I don't like the second idea as much as the first. But the biggest problem with both is how to make it work in the "Try Me" package.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-09-2004, 01:05 PM
From what I could see in that grainy picture, the vulture droid just looked like a modified trade federation droid fighter.

The starfighter looks nice, but nothing too spectacular. It'll be nice to get some new sets. I've heard on the fbtb.net boards that it's supposed to be about $20 retail. Where the price came from I don't know. Probably speculation. I don't mean to be rumor-mongering but I am curious. I remember that the EP2 JS was $20 and it was the sneak preview set. I can't see how this one could be justified to be $20 unless they have some specialty pieces other than the cockpit.

JediTricks
11-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I never said anything in my last post about how it would be done, just I had a couple of ideas. Oh, ok, I misunderstood.

I've seen a number of tiny LED out there.Yeah, but LEDs that small are prohibitively expsenive for Lego's pricepoint range.

From what I could see in that grainy picture, the vulture droid just looked like a modified trade federation droid fighter. It's thinner than the TF Droid Fighter, and has clicking hinge rotating rods at the wings, but I had the same thought.

I've heard on the fbtb.net boards that it's supposed to be about $20 retail. Where the price came from I don't know. Probably speculation. I don't mean to be rumor-mongering but I am curious. I remember that the EP2 JS was $20 and it was the sneak preview set. I can't see how this one could be justified to be $20 unless they have some specialty pieces other than the cockpit. You're probably right that it's speculation, but this LOOKS like about $15-worth of Lego, so that's why it'll be a $20 set. ;) The box looks like it says 71 pieces, which would put it at the $10-or-under range, but I don't believe that it'll be so low. BTW, the cockpit appears to be a new specialty piece, as do the 4 wings, I've never seen those before and I've been hoping for something like that for a while.

Battle Droid
11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Different pic of the new Lego Jedi Starfighter & Vulture Droid.

From, http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=392&st=255

http://www.robothek.de/Test/brickpics/7256-1.jpg

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Are those mini's or regular sized sets? I hope they are minis

Battle Droid
11-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Regular sized.

Slicker
11-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Are those mini's or regular sized sets? I hope they are minis I thought the same thing when I saw that pic. I thought from the few pictures that I've seen and the little bit of video that the Jedi Starfighter was alot bigger than that. Either way I've always loved Legos and having Star Wars Lego's just makes it that much better. They haven't upset me yet (take that back the AT-ST sucks!) so I don't see any reason for them to start now.

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 09:24 PM
If ya dont want the AT-AT, I will take it from ya.

Pics always disappoint me, but when I see the final product, 90% of the time I change my mind.

Slicker
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Psst! That says AT-ST.:D

Kidhuman
11-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Oh, I am illiterate right now. I will be signing off

JediTricks
11-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh man! Lego's boxed pic looks 10 times better than what this picture shows, this is an ugly piece of crap! And you can see, it IS the same set as that box photo, just from a different angle it's nasty and bulbous and sad - I'm glad I saw this image before buying a set and assembling junk that looks like this, I really hope it's better than it looks here.

That Technic Enzo Ferrari looks better than the REAL version.

Slicker
11-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh man! Lego's boxed pic looks 10 times better than what this picture shows, this is an ugly piece of crap! And you can see, it IS the same set as that box photo, just from a different angle it's nasty and bulbous and sad - I'm glad I saw this image before buying a set and assembling junk that looks like this, I really hope it's better than it looks here. Don't hold anything back JT. Tell us how you really feel.;)

LusiferSam
11-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Oh man! Lego's boxed pic looks 10 times better than what this picture shows, this is an ugly piece of crap! And you can see, it IS the same set as that box photo, just from a different angle it's nasty and bulbous and sad - I'm glad I saw this image before buying a set and assembling junk that looks like this, I really hope it's better than it looks here.

That Technic Enzo Ferrari looks better than the REAL version.
I'm in complete agreement with JT, it looks like crap. And what really ticks me off is the mini figure. If they're going to be that color I really doubt I buy them.

Quick question about the car for JT. Are you talk about the Model Team Ferrari or the Technic F1 Racer? I know nothing about cars. I just saw some pictures of the Model Team looking car and was highly impressed.

JediTricks
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Slicker, that not enough for you? I can dredge up even more bile for it if you'd like. :p

It appears to be Model Team-sized, but clearly not Model Team since it's all Technic (using the modern Technic beams/"liftarms" no less), here it is in this pic: http://www.robothek.de/Test/brickpics/8653-1.jpg

BTW, that thread says that the police guy in the first pic holding the flashlight is a light-up, that you push his head down to light up his accessory. Obviously if that's true, it's going to be the same for the lightsaber-holding figures.

Kidhuman
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
We all know JT has them on preorder from Lego already. He aint fooling me. :D :beard:

Slicker
11-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm not one to get too off topic but I've been surfing ebay lately trying to find model team sets for decent prices. Those are some of the best sets ever made and I only own one and I remember my little brother getting one years ago but he parted it and it ended up in a huge box full of misc. pieces.

LusiferSam
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
BTW, that thread says that the police guy in the first pic holding the flashlight is a light-up, that you push his head down to light up his accessory. Obviously if that's true, it's going to be the same for the lightsaber-holding figures.
I agree how ever their doing it's same method for the lightsabers. Those pictures are a bit blurry and photoshopped, but I'm inclined to say it is a one piece figure with a tiny battery and LED. Pushing down on the head closes the circuit. External fiber optics or battery pack don't make much senses with that info.

It appears to be Model Team-sized, but clearly not Model Team since it's all Technic (using the modern Technic beams/"liftarms" no less)
We're talking about two different sets of the same car. I one that I've seen is a smaller, but looks likes a Model Team set. And your right, the set your talking about is clearly a Technic one (I hate use of the beams, I'd rather have Technic bricks).

JediTricks
12-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Couldn't agree more about bricks, I am NOT a fan of technic beams, makes it closer to ZNAP than Lego that way.

I'm really surprised the figures will have batteries inside, I suspect there will be no way to change the batteries since US toy regulations are pretty strict now about screwing down battery hatches and stuff.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
I wonder how big the batterioes will be. THey would have to be smaller than the button batteries they used for the old school hand held video games.

JediTricks
12-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier in this thread, they'd have to be itsy bitsy hearing aid batteries or something custom, either of which would cost a lot. Or they could go with the battery pack idea that was thrown out here earlier, but I highly doubt it.

Battle Droid
12-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Check this out!

http://www.lego.com/starwars/home.asp?x=x

Mandalorian Candidat
12-14-2004, 10:04 AM
You can see the difference in size of the saber hilt in that picture to house wiring and a bulb. I wonder if the saber is attached to the hand or, if it's separate, there is some contact in the hand that activates the saber when the head is pushed down.

Anyway, an interesting gimmick. I hope it's not a dud if the price goes up due to it.