PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians: any favorite dishes? Especially fast and microwaveable?

Tycho
11-05-2004, 02:38 AM
For health related reasons, I have to have almost no protein. Meat is basically out. (Polysystic kidney disease).

I loved to live by Healthy Choice microwave meals, as I don't have to prepare them, but can be here talking to you guys while they are cooking and while I'm eating them.

I probably can't any longer.

Do any of you vegetarians have experience with good brands of microwaveable products or just good ideas for preparing easy-to-make foods.

Yes, I already have it down to make salads and cook spaghetti often.

Veggie-burgers require time to BBQ. However, if any of you know a good brand - from time to time that might be nice.

Thanks.

plasticfetish
11-05-2004, 03:57 AM
I'd say it's time to start buying some vegetarian cookbooks. My wife is fond of these Moosewood cookbooks (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671679929/ref=pd_sim_books_2/002-1994803-2364035?v=glance&s=books).

There's plenty of food that you can make -- my wife tends to make things like salads, tofu-chili or soups, and then put them away in plastic containers for later.

Gardenburgers (http://www.gardenburger.com/) and other things can be grilled, get a good Le Cruset Square Skillet Grill (http://www.lecreuset.com/new/productguide_lc3.php?item_no=40&line=11&parent_id=1) to cook with.

mabudonicus
11-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Yes, the easiest thing to do if you want microwaveable is to make chili or some such thing in a big batch and freeze it in microwave-safe containers

A favourite item of mine is as follows-
1 can beans- could be black, red, pinto, romano, don't matter
3 onions
spices (I like cumin and oregano or some such)
pita breads or tortillas

Heat up a fry pan, chop the onions and drain the beans.... put a bit of oil in the pan, toss in the onions and let 'em go translucent, then add the beans and spice, keep them on the heat for a few minutes til they go soft then take them off the heat

Once this is done (and trust me, it only takes maybe 10 minutes all told if you keep beans and onions handy) you just spread the resulting paste-style stuff on the tortillas and add whatever you would normally eat on a burrito

I would die if I hadn't figured this one out, being vegan makes many of the things I eat take lots of time to make, this recipe is the "I don't feel like cooking" solution...

Oh, and you can add a can of corn to it, too, and personally I like to smear tomato paste on the pita bread if there's no fresh ones...

Also, you wanna avoid protein, keep cucumbers and stuff on hand and you can always just make a quick wrap with some salad dressing (mayonnaise, whatever) or Tahini, which I really like (it's sesame seed paste, real nutty taste)

If I think of more I'll be glad to post it, good luck Tycho :beard:

JediTricks
11-05-2004, 11:08 PM
For food you can buy at the local megamart, Gardenburger and Morningstar Farms both make great-tasting, microwavable, vegetarian products - I have some in my freezer now and I'm not even a vegetarian. However, they are possibly higher in protein than you'd like, there is a big push to put more protein into vegetarian foods because the vegetarian diet often lacks protein and potassium (the lack of the latter can even cause insanity or death), and soy which is a common ingredient is chock full of protein (and fat). Anyway, the point is to always check the nutritional info before buying. Also, there's a brand "Amy's" that puts out some stuff at stores like Albertsons and Ralphs that is a lesser-known vegetarian brand, and some of the regular brands like Swansons, Healthy Choice, Budget Gormet, etc., have items that are vegetarian and don't even say anything about that on the package, read the ingredients.

Your best bet for microwavable, prepared vegetarian foods would be to hit Trader Joes and Whole Foods, both of which I know are in San Diego. They have a lot of stuff, my mom, who is vegetarian and can't eat wheat, likes "Quorn" brand products as does her fiance (I can't give a first-hand opinion because on my first taste of it, we discovered it is one of the very few things I am allergic to).

plasticfetish
11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
and some of the regular brands like Swansons, Healthy Choice, Budget Gormet, etc., have items that are vegetarian and don't even say anything about that on the package, read the ingredients.That's a really good point. There's even a few fast food places that offer vegetarian items, but it's not something they advertise. The one in particular that comes to mind, is Taco Bell's "7 layer burrito." My wife wrote them asking about the ingredients, and apparently they don't use lard or anything on that one, so it's fine. Same goes for their cheese quesadillas I think.

In'n'Out Burgers has a "grilled cheese" that you can order that has no meat. You can get it with a combo if you want also. :)

JediTricks
11-06-2004, 12:07 AM
I've been getting the 7-layer burrito and Del Taco's version which came first, the "works" burrito since they came out not because they're vegetarian, but because they're good. :D The beans at Del Taco are made fresh without lard or meat products, and the boil-in-bag beans at Taco Bell are also meatless, as you just pointed out, so my mom gets them all the time, a side of "pintos and cheese" (if you say "a side of beans", the employees get all confused because that's not how it reads on the menu). You can also get nachos, a side of rice, a meximelt without meat (mmm, good), the aforementioned quesadilla (far superior at Del Taco), or a bean&cheese burrito.

McDonalds has a veggie patty, but they have a terrible record with vegetarians (their fries have meat in them). Burger King has a vegetarian patty, the "BK Veggie", but it actually has quite a lot of protein (14g protein to 16g fat, a pretty good ratio for a veggie patty). Hot Dog on a Stick has always had the cheese on a stick, but I hear they also have a veggie dog on a stick now as well. Wienerschnitzle has a veggie dog now too. Pizza is the number 1 fast food in the country, simply order it without meat toppings, my current favorites are onions and bell peppers.

plasticfetish
11-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Baja Fresh uses no lard in their beans also.
McDonalds has a veggie patty, but they have a terrible record with vegetarians (their fries have meat in them). Burger King has a vegetarian patty, the "BK Veggie", but it actually has quite a lot of protein (14g protein to 16g fat, a pretty good ratio for a veggie patty). Hot Dog on a Stick has always had the cheese on a stick, but I hear they also have a veggie dog on a stick now as well. Wienerschnitzle has a veggie dog now too. Pizza is the number 1 fast food in the country, simply order it without meat toppings, my current favorites are onions and bell peppers.The McDonalds veggie thing was terrible my wife said -- simply tasted gross. I think we saw the veggie dog at Hot Dog on a Stick, but didn't try it. I didn't know der wienerschnitzel had a veggie dog -- it's about time, we'll have to try it.