PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the stands included with the OTC figures?

JediTricks
11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
After years of collectors saying how much they'd like the figures to come with stands, Hasbro has finally done just that. Since the Saga line, Hasbro has been including generic stands - or as Hasbro calls them, bases - with Star Wars 3" action figures. The dark metallic gray rectangular stands have a few techy details and the Star Wars logo designed into the top, as well as a single foot-peg in the upper-left section, and even have tabs on the bottom to interlock with each other in several different configurations. Nearly every figure in the OTC line has come with a stand, sometimes even with figures that don't need them like R2-D2 (but of course, who couldn't use another stand?). But are fans actually using these stands? If so, how often?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Since it looks like I'm the second poster in this thread, I take it that you only use the stands a fraction of the time, JT. ;)

I've been saying for a long time on SSG that Hasbro should be putting out SW figure stands. The only way to get them is online, which seems to be a fairly high cost, or at a specialty store. Since there is none in my area that sells figure stands I am pretty much depending on the OTC stands in my desktop dioramas.

I've always thought that stands would be a good way for Hasbro to do a mail-away promotion for the collectors. It would be relatively cheap for them and be a cool little extra for us.

I'm glad they've finally packed them in with the OTC figures, because I missed the CTCs doubling as stands during the Saga line. This is one thing I give Hasbro an "A" in for SW figures.

dindae
11-08-2004, 06:29 PM
I use them. I would prefer to have flat clear stands, but free stands are free stands.

Reefer Shark
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm with dindae on this one. Would prefer more flat stands with two pegs, but I'm thankful that Hasbro is at least giving us something.

JediTricks
11-08-2004, 07:46 PM
You got it ManCan, as much as I like the concept, I just haven't really used them all that much. Looking around right now, I can only see 1 figure using a stand, though I have several others using aftermarket stands that I bought before Hasbro started making these.

decadentdave
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I voted a definitive NO.

As much as I would like Hasbro to include a stand with ALL figures, they just cannot beat Real Stands with their simplistic and inconspicuous clear design. In fact, if Hasbro were smart, they would strike a deal with Real Stands to include one of their stands by putting the Real Stands logo on the back of every package including their website address to crosspromote between companies. It just makes good business sense for them to team up. I know Hasbro wants to take all of the profit for themselves and not have to include a "partner" but what I am saying is that Real Stands supply Hasbro with the stands for the figures and gets "free" publicity out of the deal to encourage fans to visit their website to purchase more. Come on guys, it's a no-brainer.

plasticfetish
11-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah, that's a big NO for me also, they're all in a big bag somewhere. I love the idea of getting stands, but I really don't like these stands. Something smaller, like the Protech stands that I own dozens of, would be best. (Be nice if they were even smaller and oval shaped.)

I'm probably the only one that really loved the commtech chips, but I'd like to have seen those again.

Kidhuman
11-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Nope, Moc collector here.

Quite-Gone Jim
11-09-2004, 07:38 AM
I love the idea, but hate the application. I open all the figures, and with hundreds of figures and limited space, the stands don't let me display enough figures. I use the REAL stands and often use one stand for 2 figures. If they'd make them a little smaller, they'd be great!

dr_evazan22
11-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I use them. I would prefer to have flat clear stands, but free stands are free stands.

What he said, except I don't use mine all the time.

droidekas2
11-09-2004, 09:43 AM
I open all of my figures and keep all of these stands in a ziplock bag. I use Real Stands for all of my figures. The ones provided by Hasbro are too big and chunky, obtrusive, especially in my dioramas. Its wonderful that they are giving everyone something extra but I dont need them.
I actually liked all of the "themed" bases that came with many of the Saga figures, such as the ones for the Geonosis Areana, those I used.

dindae
11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah I was just thinking of the standard bases. The themed bases are the best and greatly appreciated.

Ji'dai
11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Sometimes, not more than half. I'm not a big fan of Hasbro's generic stands; but I agree their themed-bases are fantastic. Still, it's nice that they are finally including them with the figures, it's long overdue. I've used up all of the CTCs, but I've got a baggy of the new black/gray ones since not all figures need them.

I prefer Real Stands since they offer two pegs for greater stability, are inconspicuous, and don't elevate figure height too much.

TheDarthVader
11-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah I agree with most everyone else. The stands are too large. I would have like the clear or solid black round stands instead. I collect MOC but there are some figures I open. When I do open them, I use the stands even though they are big. So for the most part, I have to vote that no stands are needed because I collect MOC.

B.

OC47150
11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
The stands are a nice gesture on Hasbro's behalf, and I do use them when necessary, but I prefer the clear round stands.

Slicker
11-09-2004, 03:39 PM
I keep all of my figures carded. I do tend to open a figure if I like it but right now money is tight and I can't even buy carded figures but money is getting alot better so watch out.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Most of my figures are still carded so I haven't needed many stands. When I do open figures, I use the stand if it has one. I have a bunch of stands I bought. I think they are Real Stands, but it seems like I had a tough time getting some of the figures on the pegs. Battle droids were the worst for this. So, I appreciate having the stands that come with the figures. I don't think I've had much trouble with them. Of course, for dioramas, Real Stands or the theme bases would look better.

bobafrett
11-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I use the stands on the figures I open about 90% of the time. It helps keep the figures from falling off the shelves where I have them displayed. on a couple of occasions, I have lost the weapon, iusually a small blaster, when a figure without the display stand takes a nose dive off of a shelf, and I never find the weapon as it gets rocketed across the room. About 95% of my figures are carded though, so no need for stands.

Dago-BAH
11-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Most of the time, you have to use the stand because the figures rarely stand on their own. I would rather see them focus on making a figure mold that can stand on its own than have them keep coming out with these stands. Most of the time I feel like the figures are just coming with a large ugly piece of plastic garbage.

Dago-Bah

Jaff
11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Since the Saga line stands have been a necessity. Unfortunately the stands Hasbro pack in I rarely use. I prefer the clear stands so they do not draw attention away from the figure.