PDA

View Full Version : The Changeling

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2004, 10:48 PM
It seems every few months or so I get the urge to discuss horror. There was that popular thread quite some time ago where I asked about The Eye. Wait, that never achieved much in the popularity area. Forget that example.

Well, I also had that popular thread where I asked about some horror movies. What were they again? Devil's Backbone, Jacob's Ladder, and Session 9. I bought all the films over the summer and I watched them, but I do not think I ever gave my thoughts on the films. I loved Devil's, liked Jacob's Ladder, and thought Session 9 was okay. But that thread is not the point of this thread I am about to begin here. I just felt like talking about past horror adventures on the board, because they are all I have got keeping me alive. :dead:

Now to get to the meat and potatoes of this post: the subject of The Changeling. I have never seen this film, but it came to my attention through watching Bravo's 100 Scariest Moments a week or two ago. Now I have done some research on this film and I have seen it labeled as one of the scariest movies ever filmed and that it should not be watched alone. Do you agree?

Now some of you, or those who probably are the general horror fans of this board as evident by our past discussions (Caesar, Hellboy, B'Omarr Monkey and maybe others...my brothers in horror!), are probably wondering why I started a thread about a movie I have yet had the pleasure of watching. Well, I am not really sure. As moderator of this particular forum, I feel I should try and get discussion started when I can. And this is one of those times!

I will, however, be watching The Changeling in about two weeks when I return home for a brief, but so appreciated, Thanksgiving vacation from THE Ohio State University. I bought the dvd because it was cheap and I had a coupon (read: gift certificate I gained by lying on a survey) from amazon.com that forced me to spend money when I should not be spending money. So I will let you all know what I think at the end of the month once I have watched this film.

George C. Scott, do not let me down!

P.S. Discuss this movie, or else you will make me cry. :cry:

Hellboy
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
You know I've never seen The Changeling either Fettfield. I've known about it for years but never really felt compelled to watch it. I will, however, in light of this thread make a point to rent it and give an opinion by months end. I just need to watch the 2 other horror movies that have been sitting around here for the better part of a month first (The Wicker Man and Cronos, if anyone cares).

I really enjoyed the last thread you started and actually made a point to watch all of the films you mentioned. With the exception of Jacob's Ladder which I already own and The Wicker Man which I have ready to go right now.

Nothing better than another good ole' horror thread. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Oddly enough, I almost bought Cronos last night, too. I needed to find cheap DVD's so amazon would give me the free shipping option. I went with V The Mini-Series and Cat's Eye (go ahead and laugh at that one!) to meet the required price for the free shipping. I came close, like this |____| close to purchasing it. Another time maybe.

Wicker Man, I almost bought that wooden box set Anchor Bay released of it when I found it at Best Buy. I am sad I did not purchase it then. I think I put it back on the shelf in favor of Return of the Living Dead and some other DVD whose name escapes me. Wicker Man is a crazy film, though.

I hope you are not disappointed when you rent The Changeling. That is what I hate about these discussions, when a horror fan is lead to watching something they do not like. Then I feel like a :stupid: :glasses: . That's stupid man with glasses in smiles talk. It works because I wear glasses, but I digress.

I doubt you or I will dislike the film, though. It seems to be quite popular with the horror crowd, and it is considered one of the, if not the, best ghost films out there.

But thanks for replying. That's one!

James Boba Fettfield
11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
I finally got to see this film this the day after Thanksgiving. It was not as scary as I had been led to believe, though. I won't say too much else about it. It was an alright film, but not the scary film I was looking for. I heard the wheelchair scene was supposed to be very creepy, but it left me wanting more.

It reminded me a lot of The Ring, too.

Hellboy
04-17-2005, 04:22 PM
While searching for The Devil's Rejects thread I stumbled accross this again and realized I never commented on this film. How rude of me. :o Chalk it up to being insanely busy during the holiday season I guess and I'm sure nobody really cares but I'll post my thoughts anyway. :D

This was a good ghost/haunted house story, whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure if I can understand why its achieved such classic status other than the fact that George C. Scott gives another great performance. I liked the atmosphere and the camera work was good but overall it was only mildly creepy. I did find the seance scene to be pretty interesting though. Having lived in the NW all my life I noticed that even though the film claims to take place in Oregon its actually Seattle, so I thought that was kinda funny.

It reminded me of 'The Ring' as well in the fact that the first act was great but towards the end it fell apart a little and the payoff was a bit disappointing. Worth checking out though.

JON9000
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I saw it. Pretty good Star Trek episode. I- AM- NOMAD! I- AM- PROGRAMMED TO IN-VES-TI-GATE! lol