PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Simpsons subtle motifs

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
There are quotes from the Simpsons we all love (see that thread), but there are some actions and other phrases that repeat throughout the series (that's what a motif [moe-teef] is, BTW). Which ones are your faves?

Mine would probably be the fact that so many things burst into flames so easily, especially things that are not actually flamable.

Others:
- The step, step, step-step-step; door slam; car screeching sound when someone's leaving an uncomfortable situation.
- Microphone feedback almost every time someone speaks into one.
- The crow at the power plant.

There must be more!

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Everytime you see Hans Moleman, something bad happens to him. Does that count?

I do love how things burst into flames all the time, no matter what it is.

Slicker
11-11-2004, 01:28 PM
My favorite thing that bursted into flames was when the milk tanker ran into the baseball back stop and the back stop caught on fire.

Ji'dai
11-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Explosions often befall the tombs and birthplaces of famous authors and artists. I guess the motif would be the wanton destruction of the treasured historical objects.

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 02:42 PM
My favorite thing that bursted into flames was when the milk tanker ran into the baseball back stop and the back stop caught on fire.
The backstop was the best explosion. I loved the way it exploded well after Homer drove through it.

One no one has mentioned yet was "Yoink" whenever anybody snatches something out of anothers hand.

And the Lenny/Carl "relationship" never gets old.

El Chuxter
11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
I love the use of Comic Book Guy to poke fun of the show itself. This was especially true in JT's favorite episode ever, "Land of the Jockeys." ;)

"I seem to recall you once had a horse, and great hilarity ensued."

"Mom, I think you're developing a gambling problem."
"I'm watching you."

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Not really a motif, but it was a great subtle joke.
In the episode where Homer coaches Bart's football team, Rod and Tod wear the numbers 66 and 6.
I lost it the first time I saw it.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
In the episode where Homer coaches Bart's football team, Rod and Tod wear the numbers 66 and 6.I'd never noticed that! :evil:

I think when the Y2K bug hit, a milk carton burst into flames. :confused:

I also like how just after the opening sequence, the Simpsons family always ends up on the couch. Anybody else notice that?

:rolleyes: Subtle? No, it's pronounced "nuke-you-lerr." :p

Ji'dai
11-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Whenever the POV goes from one room to another or from level to level the animators always put in hidden stuff inside the walls or floors. I think there were treasure chests and a skeleton in the floor between stories of the Simpson home.

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Also, doesnt the interior of the Simpsons home change from episode to episode?

JediTricks
11-11-2004, 08:38 PM
(in my best CBG imitation)
I love the use of Comic Book Guy to poke fun of the show itself. This was especially true in JT's favorite episode ever, "Land of the Jockeys." ;)Wrong. The episode was entitled "Saddlesore Galactica", number BABF09, the 13th episode in the series' painfully-unfunny 11th season.

I don't want to rain on anybody's picnic here, but "______ bursts into flames", "yoink!", and the endless self-parody are all things I can't stand anymore because the writers have beat them to death. Same with Homer being unbelievably stupid, Homer never actually going to work, Ned being ridiculously forgiving, Mr Burns turning everything into an old-timey name, and Milhouse being in the closet, it's just too much. I guess that's why I have a hard time coming up with anything for this thread, for me the bit works once, maybe twice, but then when they keep using it over and over it becomes boring and cheap - they stop parodying those other shows that use cheap cliches in place of solid comedy and and actually become one.

Hans Moleman getting lost/confused is still sometimes good for a larf though.

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 10:45 PM
All the little gags you mentioned have never gotten old for me. That's part of the charm of the characters.

scruffziller
11-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Don't forget that when someone on stage is trying to put on a show and it is unentertaining, instead of the classic crickets chirping there is the echoed "cough".:D

Bosskman
11-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Definately the crow at the power plant, but yoink had become part of my vocabolary, as had the Classic Mr Burs "ExcellenT" as well as Homers "Exaaaaactly" (while imitating Mr Burns).

LusiferSam
11-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Here are a few of my favorites. Early in the show's history I loved Principal Skinners' Vietnam flashbacks. No body but Marge can stand Patty and Salma. Mr. Burns can't remember who Homer to save his life. Troy McClure's little speech, "Hi, I'm Troy McClure and you may remember me from such (names to two parts)." And Blinky.

Next I watch an older Simpsons, I'll have to watch for the power plant crow. I don't think I've noticed it before.

p.s. I'm sorry if I've grossly misspelled any names.

RooJay
11-30-2004, 12:42 AM
I've always loved how Moe always seems to involved in smuggling one endangered species or another. It seems every time he's involved in a scene with Chief Wiggum and the boys he gets all panicky about that killer whale we see him trying to cram through the back door of the bar, or he's hurriedly trying to shove some pandas back into the trunk of his car.

InsaneJediGirl
11-30-2004, 10:53 PM
My favorites are :

Smithers love of Burns and how Burns never/rarely notices.

How Homer always forgets poor "Grimey" when brought up in situations.

Dr.Nick,just how he manages to squrim is way out every time.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Some more that I notice from time to time:

- out-of-the-ordinary things in the Simpsons' driveway (the swan boat that Flanders used when he was dating, various damage to the family's cars, etc.)

- the last few statements of Kent Brockman's news reports ("... and then, the Pope told Mr. Jagger to leave immediately" or something like that) before he begins his main report

- of course, the allusions in names of local businesses (i.e. 'Eye Caramba' vision store, 'Chinese Man's Theater,' 'Donner's Party Supplies' store, etc.)

- Qui-Gon's moving mustache (oops, wrong one :rolleyes: )

Rocketboy
12-05-2004, 11:55 AM
I also like how everything in Springfield moves around when needed for a joke, especially the Simpson house.
Examples:
Once, Moe's was within walking distance of the Simspon house (When Homer started walking everywhere).
President Bush's mansion was right across the street.
The Expressway was across the street, just past the field (The Canyonero episode).
The Powerplant's parking lot came right up to the back of the Simpson's backyard (the Homer put on rollerskates).

OC47150
01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
The smartest, wittiest show on TV.

Favorite ep is the Kamp Krusty episode and the Lord of the Flies take.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm also partial to the dopey TV shows (Knight Boat, Bumblebee Man) and that Burns keeps forgetting who Homer is and that Smithers is always right there to repeat the same damn line about him being in sector 7G.

Also:

-Every crappy thankless, menial worker is portrayed by the pimply-faced teenager.
-Snake is the only thug in Springfield.
-All the crud that Krusty licences (Krusty the Clown's legal forms).
-The fact that every freaking celebrity ends up in Sprinfield and ends up being buddies with one of the Simpsons.
-Every time Barney gets sober he becomes some kind of suave supergenius, but then blows it and turns back into a lush.
-Ralph and his fetish for eating every inedible thing in the classroom and his fascination with fire.
-The fact that Lisa is a vegan yet finds Itchy and Scratchy to be funny.

Kidhuman
01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
-Every crappy thankless, menial worker is portrayed by the pimply-faced teenager.

or Good ol' Gil

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
or Good ol' Gil
Or sarcastic middle-aged man.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
One of the repeating jokes that's really not funny anymore is the crazy cat lady. It was funny on the first episode she was on, but even that got old before it ended. Also the whole "my mom works at Hooters" thing with Nelson, and the "my dad just went to the store." Even though that was resolved, I thought that was so horrible and unfunny.