PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Johnny Lightning Ships (merged)

AndyW
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Not sure if these have been mentioned before, just reading about them on art asylum. They look great, there are six in this first wave:

1.TOS Enterprise
2.Miranda Class (specifically the Reliant from TWOK)
3.TOS Shuttle Galileo 2
4.TOS Klingon Battlecruiser
5.TOS Romulan Bird of Prey
6.ENT NX-01

I'll post some links in a second, they look nice, if a bit TOS themed, which isn't my fav period of trek history. But people seem to think there will be more waves, this surely must be spurred on by the success of the Furuta and Rommando's. And its good to know at least other forms of mm stuff is coming out, what with battlestar stuff coming soon its not all doom and gloom.

sicqnus
11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Andy,

Here is the pic of the serie 1.

AndyW
11-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks siqnus, sorry everyone, I wandered off for an aperitif with some friends in the old port, how french :)

Good pic there, thanks for that, got some links here:

Here they can be pre-ordered, also a nice picture of the set (http://www.action-hq.com/cgi-bin/action-hq/oth001827.html)

And some close-up pics on another site (http://www.playingmantis.com/jl/coming_soon_details.php?articleid=757)

And another site they can be pre-ordered-quite cheap too (http://www.store.yahoo.com/dcastalley/jolitr1moca.html)

How much should you pay for these, the full set of 6, that one place I posted was 25usd and another 60. And are these only available from the us?

AndyW
11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Just read that wave 2 will be:

Johnny Lightning Wave 2 will follow soon after and features these sought-after vessels:

U.S.S. Enterprise-A™

U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864 with battle damage

Klingon™ D7 Battlecruiser cloaked

U.S.S. Enterprise NX-01™ with polarized hull plating

U.S.S. Enterprise™ NCC-1701 with battle damage.

Ent A is a good addition, rest sound like dreaded re-hashes, nevermind though, if we all buy them there will be more!

JediTricks
11-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, these are all-plastic? That's what Playing Mantis' website says (they own Johnny Lightning) - it's not a dealbreaker for me, just a surprise. And what's this "10 years out of the market"? That's not true! The ships stick out of the bubble? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

All in all, I can't wait to see these on shelves, but anything more than $30 for a set sounds like a huge ripoff to me.

AndyW
11-12-2004, 06:37 AM
I was at first under the impression these were metal but yes jeditricks, your right, they are plastic. Hmmm. Still like the look of them though, detail looks good on them at least.

JediTricks
11-13-2004, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I think they look decent enough to buy and as plastic will likely satisfy MM collectors, but as die cast I think they would have been a little more special. I'll definitely be buying at least half of the first wave, then depending on the price may buy them all or wait for their superior repaints.

AndyW
11-13-2004, 06:34 AM
The only thing I would have said with die cast is I'd be worried that they turn out like the SW die cast x-wing thats just been re-released, to be cheap I think detail would be lost and to get the same detail as plastic they would become higher end items and hence more expensive. Possibly.

Either way, and on another topic, should be not be hearing furuta wave 3 by now?

JediTricks
11-14-2004, 03:17 AM
I dunno if that would have been the case, the SW ones Hasbro is putting out next year are not a standard situation, the Falcon, the X-wing, and Slave 1 all started life nearly a decade ago as a totally different concept (X-Rays, with visible interior details rather than tight, crisp fine exterior details), not sure anymore if the TIE was as well but I seem to remember someone suggesting that was the case. Anyway, Hasbro is using old molds that have gone through several uses and weren't even initally designed for metal anyway, if they had started over from scratch (which honestly, they might as well have) I'm sure they would have been able to get a lot better detail out of there. Johnny Lightning has been able to get some good work into their die cast sci-fi vehicles in the past, and with competition in the die cast market from Corgi with their awesome Batmobiles line at a $6 pricepoint, there might have been some good opportunities there.

vulcantouch
12-08-2004, 09:18 AM
and can we get them separately or do we gotta get all 6? personally i'd just want an nx01- ok and maybe a d7 since it's intriguingly purple- but why Is it purple?
personally i prefer plastic to metal; looks better, transports easier and paintjob lasts longer. also, the price point should (in theory) be lower since it costs less than metal :greedy:
vt

AndyW
12-08-2004, 11:56 AM
It seems that online you can only get them in the set (if anyone can prove me wrong please do!), but I gather if you found them in stores, they are all separate.

JediTricks
12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
I haven't seen these in stores yet, my guess is they've been delayed, but Johnny Lighting has always been findable at TRUs in the past, even the sci-fi lines, so I fully expect to see them there.

I suspect the Klingon D7 cruiser is purple specifically so they can sell a repaint in the next wave.

plasticfetish
12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
I've reeeeeeeally been wondering what happened to these. I probably look for them every time I go into the stores, and at this point I'd guess that they're not gonna happen before X-mas.

At Comic-con, I asked the nice lady at the Playing Mantis booth about them, and though my memory is foggy, I kind of remember her saying that they'd be out by now. She also said that they'd be $3.99 and sold single carded. They looked great in person, and I was pretty shocked by the price, assuming that they'd be closer to $10.

matthewilw
12-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Forgive me for saying this, but I've never been a big fan of the original Star Trek ships...or the show for that matter. I liked TNG and DS9 but the original..just not a big fan. Hopefully the first wave will do well, and perhaps I'll get a chance to see some shuttlecrafts and runabouts. Maybe even an Equinox (The only furuta ship I have is the defiant. I just never got around to getting the equinox and now my paypal account has reached it's limit.)

AndyW
12-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I'm not a huge TOS fan either, but I'll buy them as they are pretty interesting and if we all buy them there will hopefully be more waves!

JediTricks
12-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm not a huge TOS fan in terms of ships either, though I've grown to love the show a lot more in the past 10 years. I understand they did the best with the effects budget and filming limitations at that time, but the TOS ships generally don't do it for me. The Klingon D7 and the shuttlecraft are probably my biggest exceptions, even over the Enterprise herself.

RJarvis
12-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Couldn't think of any other good place to put this, but I saw the whole series of JL ST ships at my local TRU. Some were white while others had more accurate paint schemes...I guess the odd ones are the "White Lightning" ones I've heard about. Didn't see the purple Klingon ship, but I did pick up both white and silver versions of the NX-01. Will try to post digipix tomorrow.

rj

JediTricks
12-22-2004, 08:45 PM
OOOOH! Damnit, I want to go NOW!!! :D "White Lighting", otherwise known as "JL is too lazy to paint these". ;) What section were they in, were they with the JL cars like their other sci-fi lines have been in the past? How much?

plasticfetish
12-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Couldn't think of any other good place to put this, but I saw the whole series of JL ST ships at my local TRU.Ahhhh, good to know that they're showing up now. I suppose this means that my TRU will get them after they clean up from X-mas.

Yep, looks like they're showing up on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=760&item=6940540698&rd=1) now. Also looks like there's a few White Lightnings going already. Do these White Lightning variants even say "White Lightning" on them anywhere?

SWAFMAN
12-23-2004, 08:13 AM
My nearest TRU is 40+ miles away. If anyone finds enough of these on a peg and has enough cash to cover, I would gladly reimburse for items plus gas money. Don't know anything about the unpainted ones, but would like one of each of the painted ones that are available.

In the nearly impossible chance I ever get to Altoona any time soon, I will try to snag any/all of these I see and post here for anyone who wants them.

BTW - I did look for these last weekend at my local Wal Mart and saw none. I had the same question as JT as to whether I was looking in the right place, which was the same area where the JL cars are pegged.

RJarvis
12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
What section were they in, were they with the JL cars like their other sci-fi lines have been in the past? How much?
As to where these physically were, they were on the "car" aisle in and amongst the other JL cars and I had to do a bit of looking to find them all because the mensas:crazed: stocking the shelves put them on two different pegs interspersed with random cars :ermm: so keep a sharp eye out when hunting...maybe the stocking monkeys wherever you are will do a better job, but you just can't depend on reliable seasonable help these days :)

Do these White Lightning variants even say "White Lightning" on them anywhere?

No, there's no visible mark saying White Lightning on the packaging that I could find. Even the SKU numbers are the same on the NX-01's I got. And incidentally, it appears that the WL ones aren't unpainted, but rather the only difference between the WL and regular NX-01s I've got is the color of the base paint itself. One is white, one is silver. One other note, there was question as to whether these were plastic or metal or some combination. The NX is all plastic the the die-cast part is the base it comes with.

I dug out my digicam last night and will try to get some pics up this morning...

rj

RJarvis
12-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Here are the pics I promised...

a couple for comparison's sake with the WL-NX still unspoiled, then *craaaaack*...ahh the satisfying sound of another package being opened and another toy being freed from its plastic prison...

rj

RJarvis
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
ok...more side-by-sides aft and ventral...the last one is a size comparison pic of the two JL NX-01s, the Hallmark NX-01 and (for lack of a better subject) an mm Imperial Landing craft I had handy...

enjoy! :)

rj

britcit3
12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Very nice - can't wait for mine to arrive.

BC3

SWAFMAN
12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Compared to the MM in the pic, would it be accurate to place the size of the JL ships as about that of the Galoosbro Star Wars Die-Cast?

JediTricks
12-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info and pics Ross, good to know. I hit the madhouse formerly known as TRU West LA last night, but they don't have a central Johnny Lighting section, it's spread out all over, and no Trek ships to be found (and stupid JL released another new line on similar-looking cards so that makes the challenge even more difficult).

AndyW
12-28-2004, 03:35 PM
For UK people searching for these: I checked out two local toys r u's in the midlands and saw no sign, so not sure if they will ever have them or not.

Forbidden planet 'should' be having them soon the guy in the store in Birmingham told me.

Great pics btw!

vulcantouch
12-29-2004, 09:17 AM
"would it be accurate to place the size of the JL ships as about that of the Galoosbro Star Wars Die-Cast"
-yeah, didn't i just ask y'all that too? ;)

matt: "never been a big fan of the original Star Trek ships...or the show"
andy: "not a huge TOS fan either"
jt: "not a huge TOS fan in terms of ships either"
-i don't mind TOS, but since i've practically done graduate studies on it in that i saw it lots as a kid & then again ~age 18, i'm purty much burned out on it :crazed: i too prefer modern trek ship designs, so much more developed & expressive, makes the TOS ships look like pulp-generic '50s rocketships by comparison :cool:
vt

plasticfetish
12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
makes the TOS ships look like pulp-generic '50s rocketships by comparison...or '60s pulp rocketships. ;)

I've yet to see any of these, but my TRU is still pretty battered.

plasticfetish
01-03-2005, 03:10 AM
OK, I feel like a dope.

I found two of these tonight -- the NX-01, and the Romulan Bird of Prey -- and I've gotta say, I knew there was plastic involved with these things, but I didn't know they were all plastic. (Oh, except for the "die-cast poseable display stand.") Heck, I even saw them at Comic-con, (I suppose I didn't look very close) and just assumed that there would be some die-cast invloved. Now I understand the $3.99 price a little better.

So, they're nice and all, and it's not like I'm really complaining about something being made of plastic, but... :neutral:

britcit3
01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Just added pics of the Johnny Lightening Trek ships to my site, as well as the new Romando Trek wave, Trek micro comparison pics and those Japanese Mighty Jack micros.

http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/index2.htm

BC3

AndyW
01-16-2005, 07:57 AM
As I said on artasylum, great pics, especially the JLs, they look so good!

britcit3
01-16-2005, 08:54 AM
ta mate.

BC3

AndyW
01-16-2005, 10:38 AM
I was going to ask you on AA, but seeing as I'm on here now, I may aswell ask now, exactly how many MM's (well, at least, mini ships) do you have?

I keep meaning to count and photograph all mine, I think I have a large amount but I think you beat my by a long way!

This may be a good new thread idea actually.

britcit3
01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Loads.

BC3

SWAFMAN
01-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I found two of these tonight -- the NX-01, and the Romulan Bird of Prey --

What store did you find them at?

plasticfetish
01-17-2005, 05:04 PM
What store did you find them at?Oh, it was one of my local TRUs -- and I haven't seen any others since.

sicqnus
01-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Very clear and neat new pics BC3. The size comparison shots are very interesting.
Also, NewForceComics is offering the set of six JL ships for $24.99 + shipping.

britcit3
01-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks Sicq

I got mine from DieCastAlley for around the same price - less than half what Action-HQ were asking.

BC3

SWAFMAN
02-11-2005, 01:36 PM
...If anyone finds enough of these on a peg and has enough cash to cover, I would gladly reimburse for items plus gas money. Don't know anything about the unpainted ones, but would like one of each of the painted ones that are available.

BTW - I did look for these last weekend at my local Wal Mart and saw none. I had the same question as JT as to whether I was looking in the right place, which was the same area where the JL cars are pegged.

I did finally find several of these at my local Wal Mart, pegged with the JL cars, etc.

I don't have them nearby, but I think it was the white 1701, silver nx-01, TOS-RomBird, TOS-K-Bop, TOS-Galileo, and the Reliant. Only got one of each for now. I think these will be openers, and if I like them I may consider getting dupes to keep mint-in-package. Not impressed with the cheesey graphics on the TOS-RomBird, but if memory serves, they were that tacky in the TV show.

AndyW
03-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Finally got around to buying these, and at $25 for the set plus $14 shipping to France, I really can't complain at all, they are just brilliant, like Furutas, but better, for the most part.

NX-01:
Was the most excited about this but I'm now the most disappointed, its just not nearly as good as I hoped, the size is nice, and it looks good displayed, but its just well, theres just something not right. And my starboard nacelle is wonky.

Reliant:
Oh my, brilliant, its certainly my favourite, I'm in love, and it looks great displayed with my select group of Furutas I brought from my collection in the UK. I traded my Furuta Reliant to some fine upstanding members of this forum so that class has been missing from my collection in this size for awhile.

Enterprise 1701:
Really a notch above the Furuta one, its smaller I think, but the detail is great and it appears to be a darker a colour, which I'm not sure is right or not, only downside is mine is very fragile and the saucer is not far from an unplanned separation. It will be annoying to have to glue it especially when I've never had to glue my 'candy toy' furutas. Still, I won't play with this as I'm not really a TOS fan, so for simple display it looks great.

Galileo:
Its cool, as I said, I'm not a TOS fan, but its a cool size, and if they ever did a Type 9 shuttle from VOY or another of the TNG shuttles I'd be one excited person, so heres hoping. Not displaying this on a stand but got it sitting next to my hallmark Runabout and it looks very retro.

D7:
Lovely, best rendition of this ship ever imho. Reminds me of the ship I got free on the top of a drinks cup in pizzahut when I was about 10, (always wanted the communicator-never got it!) its just a shame that it wasn't the k'tinga version, if this ship somehow got in a transporter accident with my rommando k'tinga, I'd again, be very excited to say the least.

Rom BOP:
How funky is this. Its huge! Its not THAT far from AF size, ok, well, its got a way to go, but its heading that way. This is the big suprise of the set for me, I thought I'd hate it but I haven't stopped flying it around our flat all day, much to my girlfriends amusement. Its great and it may even get me back into TOS its that good, got a hankering to watch the 'Balance of Terror' now

Like others, I can't praise JL enough, though I think that without the stuff furuta has put out over these last two years, we wouldn't be seeing these right now, but someone has finally in these dark post-galoob days has seen the light that people love ships of this size. I'm so looking forward to the future waves with new ships, and I may even get wave 2, something I would normally have avoided due to the battledamaged ones, just to support the line.
I know this is old news, but for understandable reasons its been rather quiet recently, thought I'd try and keep things going, its want I'd want if I were not well.

vulcantouch
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
anyhoo here's my jl st thoughts- what few i have that is (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=376561&postcount=904) ;)

JediTricks
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
My NX-01 also has a poorly-glued nacelle, that stinks that they're all coming out like that. I think the NX-01 is just way too soft a sculpt which combined with the deep lines of what is there is too high a contrast, I'd call this a sub-MM-quality design, and while some of the paint is nice some of it is not.

Reliant is my favorite, but it is also a victim of a soft sculpt, and one of the nacelles on mine is slightly out of alignment... again. They got a few details right where Galoob didn't, but Galoob got more of the details right where JL just didn't even bother. One thing I really dislike about this piece though is the way the light passes through the saucer so easily, totally ruining the look.

Galileo is the best one, and even better than the Galoob sculpt (JL's is closer to the source design). I only wish it didn't feel so brittle, I whooshed it around and landed it a few times but I was in fear of breaking the little feet on the bottom of the thrusters and the rear leg.

D7 is pretty nice and I don't have any real complaints except that the paint seems soft and they could have put a little more detail into the overall sculpt. Oh, and the bridge on mine was glued on out of place, seems to be a running theme here.

I don't have the other 2 yet, still looking.

AndyW
03-09-2005, 07:57 AM
The see through plastic on the Reliant is a little annoying, but where I display mine you can't notice it at all, its only when it cruises past one of my living rooms binary stars (IKEA lamps to us terrans) on its patrol routes does it show up. :D

AndyW
03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Something else I forgot to mention on the reliant, my nacelles are also not straight, however the both of them are not straight in the same way, so it looks ok, not like the NX-01 which one is poorly attached and the other ok.

JediTricks
03-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Do the nacelles on the Reliant both dip slightly downward as they go back? Because that's the way it's supposed to be.

sicqnus
04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
NewForceComics now takes orders for the second wave :
http://newforcecomics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NFCC&Category_Code=STJL

The battle damaged TOS Enterprise looks great !

good shot jansen
05-15-2005, 10:20 AM
i just ordered both waves from die cast alley (thanx andy w for posting the link way back when)

after viewing them on bc3's web page yesterday, i knew i had to have em!

wow! my 1st toy purchase in over a year.

baby i'm back!

np: karn evil 9 1st movement part II - elp welcome back my firends to the show which never ends :o

JediTricks
05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
I can't wait to hear your take on these GSJ.

I've been seeing a lot of Klingon D7s and Romulan BOPs lately, but the rest disappear quickly, I still haven't gotten the TOS Enterprise (nor the BOP, but I never had much love for that design). I think these would sell a lot better if TRUs, the only store to consistantly carry them, had a CONSISTANT place to put them, Johnny Lightning is never easy to find and always a mess these days at my local TRUs.

AndyW
05-16-2005, 05:53 AM
No problem GSJ, I can recommend them too, great service when I purchased from them. Planning to order Wave 2 aswell at some point, but theres other things I want to save for so I'll wait for now.

good shot jansen
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
got my jl's today. all in all i like them, particularly due to their scale. the furuta's are great, but they are just a tad too big for my liking. the alpha size (as in galoob alpha af's) is great.

i have only opened two of em so far, the reliant and the nx-1, and can report, that neither suffer from the loose, and or mis-aligned nacelles. my furuta reliant is a tad out of whack with it's nacelles, but my new jl is in good alignment.

i only wish that jl had made these things out of metal. oh my my, that would have been brilliant!

i love the stands that come with the ships, the ball connection is really well thought out. it permits you to display the ships either head on, or on different angles, both horizontal as well as vertical.

a very nice addition to the jansen collection

matthewilw
05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Has anybody found these in an actual store? Or did everyone order them online? I just recently bought the second Furuta wave, so the only JL I'm really interested in is the Enterprise A but haven't been able to find any locally, and I'm not quite ready to pay 3x as much for one on ebay when there is still some hope of finding one at retail.

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 04:18 AM
I haven't seen any wave 2s at the store yet, but I did find the TOS Enterprise recently so I suspect they might have come with that. (wishful thinking probably)

GSJ, I'm not sure I see what you mean by the scale difference between the Futuras and the Alphas & JL ships, though I only have the Futura Ent-E with me to compare at the moment (the Ent-E is barely larger than the SA Naboo Royal Starship and TOS Enterprise, neither of which are half as detailed). I feel the ball-jointed stand thing though, that really is the way to go whenever possible. Glad you dig 'em though.

RJarvis
05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Speaking of Furuta/JL, has anyone heard anything re: Furuta Collection 3? Do we even have a breakdown of what's gonna be in the assortment?

Ross W. Jarvis

p.s. welcome back GSJ...

good shot jansen
05-24-2005, 11:01 AM
p.s. welcome back GSJ...

thanx ross!

i'm glad to see that your still here. you, jt, vt, baal, swafman and jeddah, are some of the people who made posting at the buzz so much fun back in the day, it's always great to see that some of us are still hanging in there. :)

what ever happened to xuff's web site, it's been years since i was there, (oh like that's a wierd thing considerin' i was mia from ssg for a year :eek: ), now i see the site is no longer. has that little toonto nitch of buzzboard alumni completly disapeared? :ermm:

...what's that porkins? what are you saying?......oh right, stay on target :nerv:

i've popped the top on a few more of thje jl's;

the klingon d7 is not done as well as i would have hoped for. the jointing, (at least on mine) is not finished well, and in fact, the lower center panel is not fitted properly at all. (not that i would even look at the bottom of the ship due to the copyright stencil, and model number being the most prominent features on the underside :frus: ). i'll take some pictures to post in day or so to show what i mean. it would have been nice if they had used a different shade of grey instead of the obviously unpainted raw plastic that they did use :rolleyes: . the ncaelles actually look like a prototype of what they were intending to do, no decent detailing here, what so ever. definately a downer, as i love this ship. furuta, and the old galoob mm versions are way superior to this one. oh well.

the ent refit is a different story, this is a very well produced model. the detailing and paintwork was done very well. i especially like the added detail of the nacelles being a different shade of blue on the outside vs. the inside. the furuta version is also quite good, however the furuta ent-a is a little too green for my tastes, i like the shades of blue used on the jl version. my only complaint would be with regards to the top of plastic utilized, it is a tad too thin, and when you hold the ship up to a light, it does take on a milky trasparency. otherwise, i really like this ship.

RJarvis
05-24-2005, 03:53 PM
-----------------
i'm glad to see that your still here. you, jt, vt, baal, swafman and jeddah, are some of the people who made posting at the buzz so much fun back in the day, it's always great to see that some of us are still hanging in there. :)

what ever happened to xuff's web site, it's been years since i was there, (oh like that's a wierd thing considerin' i was mia from ssg for a year :eek: ), now i see the site is no longer. has that little toonto nitch of buzzboard alumni completly disapeared?
-----------------

A while back, Marilyn (we really need to get a smiley with a halo for her) posted a link to the WayBack Machine and gave us this link: http://web.archive.org/web/19990508192736/www.galoob.com/bbs1/ Kind of fun for those who were around back then...

As for Xuff, his site is still up at: http://www.xanthra.com/thecomic/?goto=home but he's removed the mock site that was up...at least I can't find any good links. I'll check my old bookmarks and see what I can find...I do know that there were no posts for a fairly long time... :ermm:

rj

sicqnus
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi RJ,

sorry no news from Furuta yet. Wave 3 was planned to be out in late may but... some delays should be expected. I hope Furuta will not cancel it but with no more TV shows for the next two years (at least) and no more movie (the project based upon the StarTrek Academy has fallen into 'limbo months ago) to expect... Everything is possible. I think Bandaï will not make anymore ST prepainted kit before 2006 (if they'll do anymore). Only Art Asylum seems to have faith in the license (but they took 2 years to make an Enterprise-E we may not see before X-mas).
Hard times for Trekkies.
Hopefully, the preorders are still open at Action HQ (for Furutas) and we will have the waves three and four of Johnny Lightning ST minis for X-mas in one time !!! (27 BORG CUBES YOU SAID ?!?).

Rick at NewForceComics just got an account with JL and have the wave 2 in stock. He expects some more wave 1 soon.

Other news : TOMY and Takara will become a new brand next year then I hope we still can wait a SW mini-scenes Gashapons wave 4... But as usual with the Japanese, nothing has been unveiled yet.

good shot jansen
05-24-2005, 05:29 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508192736/www.galoob.com/bbs1/[/url] Kind of fun for those who were around back then...

i love the wayback link, unfortunately most (about 99%) of the posts are not archived, only the threads title, and sometimes the thread posters.

man, do i miss the days of galoob, they really knew how to run a toy comapny right. the direct involvement with the toy designers, and the ability to help influence the company to release what the consumers actually wanted, but most importantly, to realise that you as an individual was not alone in your fantic love for a toy, but that there were other people, just as yourself, who loved them just as much.

ahhhhhhh......good times.....good times...... :classic:

JediTricks
05-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey GSJ, I see what you mean about the scales now, I noticed it around 4am last night when I was going to sleep, I looked down at the Ent-E on my PC and a few feet away was the JL TOS Ent and it was clear, made me wish I hadn't opened my gob about it. ;)

I'm glad to hear nice things about the JL Ent-A, it's my favorite ship and I can't get enough of it.

good shot jansen
05-26-2005, 11:38 AM
i opened up the romulon bird, and the galileo today. the shuttle is a great little toy/model. i'm glad they made it in a larger scale than the rest of the ships, you can really appreciate it, as well as play with it. the angled landing gear in the rear, as well as the landing pads included on the underside of the nacelles was a great detail to include. i'll have to bring it home, and display it next to my star tours speeder 3000, i think it's the same scale as that, and they will look cool together.

the rom bop is huge! this ship i wish they had kept the same relative scale with the other ships from the collection. it really looks out of place (like from a different toy line), when sitting next to the other ships.

it is a cool representation of the ship, it's just a little too big when compared with the rest of the line.

AndyW
05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Had a shock today, found the Wave 2 JL's in a comic book store. Was quite excited but...There was no un-battle damaged Ent Refit. All the other ships, but not a shiney pristine Ent.

Now, I've said before, I'm not THAT bothered about this Wave but was going to order it to support the line and so I could get that pristine refit, so its kind of pointless me getting EVERY other ship except the one I want plus paying over the odds for it (way more than buying a complete set from Diecast alley). Plus everyone wants to pristine Ent refit, so prices just to get that ship are going to be high.

So, I will be patient, and order off DC alley when I've got the money. Was quite excited to find them though, almost gave in.

Oh, and to note, the Battle damaged NX-01 starboard nacelle was STILL wonky, so it looks like they haven't entirely fixed that problem yet.

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Wonky nacelle on the battle damaged at least makes more sense than on the undamaged version. ;)

I thinking about risking waiting for these at retail here rather than getting a full case, I really couldn't care less about the BD NX-01 or BD TOS Enterprise, so I really just want 4 of these and I'm not totally sure about the BD Reliant either, throwing $30 with shipping after 3 confirmed items seems too high for me, especially since I have the AA 1701-A and the Racing Champions (the "R" and "C" in "RC2", another partner company of JL, all of which are owned by Ertl/Playing Mantis) pewter 1701-A which is in the same scale as these and has decent sculpting (especially for metal, really this is what JL should have done with these instead of silly metal stands).

good shot jansen
05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
i've just opened up the cloked d7, hmmmmmmmm, it's a nice touch that they chose to provide a cloaked ship, however, it's just a clear plastic version of the 1st wave d7. it wasn;t like i was expecting a different mold or anything, it just would have been nice if it was a single mold made for this version of the ship. all of the post struts connecting the different sections to each other takes away from the overall appearance. the glue that was used in welding the back portions of the hull, between the top and the bottom pieces have bubbled as well.

the trade mark stencil on the cloaked version is done much better, it's tiny, and is barely noticible, unlike the regular 1st wave one, where the trademark is actually the standout feature.

not really excited about opening the battle damaged ships yet, they all appear to only have scorch marks painted all over them representing the damage. galoob got this presentation right when they made the battle damaged mm's and af's, they actually damaged the appearance of the hull, not just painted on scorching.

JediTricks
05-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I think this is going to ultimately torpedo this line, which hadn't really been doing that strong due to poor choices on JL's part in the first place.

Seems like being a Trek collector in the US means having your hopes dashed over and over and over.

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 01:10 AM
First off, I merged the 2 Johnny Lightning threads because they're the same topic and it made it hard to know which one to post in.

Secondly, I found all the ships from wave 2 at Toys R Us in Monrovia, CA. I am pretty broke though so I only bought the clear Klingon D7 and the last non-damaged Enterprise refit. The others really didn't suit me at all, the battle damage should have been accompanied by overall weathering, but sadly they did not, so it seems out of place, and some of the damage is digitized-looking.

cloaked Klingon D7 - wave 2's clear variant of the wave 1 ship, this whole wave is repaints except for the Enterprise refit (which also ships with a repaint). The cloaked D7 looks decent clear, but you can see the glue inside, and there are no painted details which would have been nice. Ship feels about the same fragility as the original, but fits on the stand easier so no fear of breakage. Oh, and all the ships in the wave come with a weird embroidered modern-Trek commbadge which I believe is an iron-on.

Enterprise refit - the only new mold in wave 2, the Enterprise refit from Star Trek movies 1 through 3. It's my favorite Star Trek ship of all time, and this is a pretty decent representation, they put a ton of detailed paint details on here - since the sculpted ones aren't as numerous - and it looks really nice, way better than the other entries in the whole line because you can tell they went the distance here. Fits on the stand without trouble. Starboard nacelle is slightly at an angle on the pylon, cheapo JL seems to have a lot of trouble in this department, but it's not as bad as any of the wave 1 f-ups. Ultimately, this one is really nice, I hope they get a lot of 'em out there.

As I said, I didn't end up buying the battle damaged repaint, but I studied the heck out of it, the paint on the bridge on those is off to the right, the only battle damage is on the port side bottom of the saucer, the torpedo tube, and the port side of the engineering hull - the paint looks digital and blocky, and there's no other wear so it's not that great. I suppose the secondary hull damage blockiness may be supposed to represent the plates that were attached to cover the damage in ST3, but if that's the case they fail miserably.

AndyW
07-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Had a shock today, found the Wave 2 JL's in a comic book store. Was quite excited but...There was no un-battle damaged Ent Refit. All the other ships, but not a shiney pristine Ent.

Now, I've said before, I'm not THAT bothered about this Wave but was going to order it to support the line and so I could get that pristine refit, so its kind of pointless me getting EVERY other ship except the one I want plus paying over the odds for it (way more than buying a complete set from Diecast alley). Plus everyone wants to pristine Ent refit, so prices just to get that ship are going to be high.

So, I will be patient, and order off DC alley when I've got the money. Was quite excited to find them though, almost gave in.

Oh, and to note, the Battle damaged NX-01 starboard nacelle was STILL wonky, so it looks like they haven't entirely fixed that problem yet.

I gave in today, bought the Battle damaged NX-01, they'd only got that and the cloaked D7. Will order the full set sometime so I can get the Ent A pristine.

I like it, the hull paint is darker instead of the Naboo cruiser style silver paint job on the pristine NX-01 from Wave 1. Nacelle still wonky as previously mentioned, but as JT says, at least theres an excuse for it being there being a BD version!