PDA

View Full Version : Overblown and overrated!

El Chuxter
11-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Man, this forum is dead. :(

So I'll start some controversy with a sampling of my list of overblown and overrated twits:

1) John Mayer: Okay, he's not really big enough to be "overrated," I suppose, but the guy's supposed to be a singer-songwriter, yet can't string together a coherent sentence that doesn't sound like it came from a 6th grader's diary? He should be shot for using the word "bubblegum" in a song. And he claims to be a guitar player with Hendrix as his idol, but is disgustingly incompetent. (I've never picked up an axe but imagine I'd be better on my first try.) Is this what the singer-songwriter label has come to? Ick.

2) Marilyn Manson: Thankfully well on his way into obscurity, but did he ever suck. He tried to be controversial by doing what Ozzy and Judas Priest did decades earlier, and they were not only better at controversy, but they actually had musical talent to go with it. My favorite quote about him is from Alice Cooper (I'm paraphrasing): "He wears makeup, uses a woman's name, and tries to shock people with his act. How incredibly original!" ;)

3) Jeff Buckley: Here's where I'll start drawing flack, I'm willing to bet. He's supposedly a great songwriter. But you know what? I can't agree or disagree because I can't understand a damn word he said! Not only incomprehensible, but he sounds like a whiny little girl who skinned her knee. A half-decent cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is all he has to his credit, and Leonard did it a billion times better (even with his total lack of a singing voice). But Pete Yorn apparently idolizes Buckley and was inspired by him, so he was good for something.

4) Warren Zevon: Seriously. A one-hit wonder for "Werewolves of London." That's it. The recent tribute seems odd: Dylan, Springsteen, etc covering songs by someone who was by far their inferior in the songwriting department. Even if you like him, I think you'll have to agree with me on "overblown" for one reason: last year, he got the only "memorial tribute performance" on the Grammies. Last year. The same year both Johnny and June Carter Cash passed on. You put anyone higher than Johnny Cash, and they're automatically overblown. Johnny Cash is, well, Johnny Cash.

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Bands I think are way overrated:
Radiohead
The White Stripes
The Strokes, The Vine, The Hives (basically any band that begins with The)
A Perfect Circle
Tool (The new stuff anyway)
Linkin Park
There isn't much new or exciting in any of them, IMO.

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Radiohead

I sense a Guyute post comin' on.

Slicker
11-11-2004, 03:22 PM
The one that got me was Korn. Unless you were one of those many, many fortunate fans that claimed to have been a fan before they got big. :rolleyes:

Vortex
11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
I'll jump in on this one.

Here my list of cruddy bands/artist getting WAY too much credit for hack work.

Top of my list - Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Ace of Base
Roxette
Creed
Lincon Park
POD

Man I could go on and on with today "artists" and most of the garbage that was pushed out in the 90's. I know you'll have your flash in the pan groups, but the music biz today is just pumping out carbon copies of identical bands with a differnt name on them.

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 07:16 PM
I thk 80% of music is way over-rated today. It all sounds the same. No originality in it.

JBF, your olfactory senses did not decieve you, he will post. :D.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I sense a Guyute post comin' on.

Betray you, your senses do not.

now, first off, i can completly understand why some folks wouldn't like Radiohead as they're not for everybody: with their atmospheric brilliance, roaring guitars, their alienated, yet beautiful lyrics and to top it off: the angelic voice of one Thom Yorke. If you need to wonder why Radiohead is hailed as brilliant and puts out masterpieces, sit down and listen to the chaotic glory that is "OK Computer" and follow it up "The Bends" and i promise you'll be a fan. Or, i like to think that i can promise you'll be a fan. :D

However, i do agree with most of the other replies here. I loathe John Mayer with every fiber of my being. His voice just annoys the ever lasting bajesus out of me and his songs are so damned lame. anyway, here is my list of those i hate:
John Mayer
Metallica ("Load" and everything afterward)
The White Stripes (I can stand one song by them, the one from "Napoleon Dynamite")
Nirvana (as my old guitar teacher said, "Cobain was better with a shotgun than he was with a guitar")
Ween
any rap at all

that should do it. :D

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
A Perfect Circle
Tool (The new stuff anyway)

For real?! I thought it was getting better and better. As a musician myself, I do base a lot on technicallity and gimmicks. Adam Jones is way UNDERRATED as a guitarist and Maynard has one of the best singing voices of many "rock" bands today. They have no gimmicks and rock at what they do. I have seen both bands and they were amazing................

Just my dos centovos

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Metallica ("Load" and everything afterward)

I sense a JBF post comin' on! Wait, that's me.

I can understand why anyone would not like Load and afterwards. Personally, I think Load is greatness in audio form, but that's just me. I can take Metallica not playing Master of Puppets 2 and sliding into some blues and country sounding rock. Some people want them just playing metal, I can accept their musical greatness transcending genres.

I will now await your verbal bullets to shred through me! Bring it! Seriously, don't though. When I start talking Metallica, everyone is bored and I become irate. Seriously. :beard:

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Well, I havent really cared much about Metallica since And Justice for All. To me that was the last good album they ever made.

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Well, I havent really cared much about Metallica since And Justice for All. To me that was the last good album they ever made.

By Metallica you mean Smashing Pumpkins. And by And Justice For All you mean some Smashing Pumpkins album.

Slicker
11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, I havent really cared much about Metallica since And Justice for All. To me that was the last good album they ever made. I'm in total agreeance. I love The Mighty Met but after And Justice for All I don't like very many songs.

By the by One is my all-time favorite rock song.

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 09:19 PM
One is a great song, but it led to their downfall by making a video for it The video rocks, but MTV killed it and it lead to their inflated egos and the sell-out began

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
I'll have to add Creed, Limp Bizkit, and Metallica to my list.

The one that got me was Korn. Unless you were one of those many, many fortunate fans that claimed to have been a fan before they got big. :rolleyes:I was into Korn for their first 2 albums and the 3rd to a point. After tha, they turned too pop and tecno wannabe.

now, first off, i can completly understand why some folks wouldn't like Radiohead as they're not for everybody: with their atmospheric brilliance, roaring guitars, their alienated, yet beautiful lyrics and to top it off: the angelic voice of one Thom Yorke.Have they released an album where his voice actually sounds decent? ;)

If you need to wonder why Radiohead is hailed as brilliant and puts out masterpieces, sit down and listen to the chaotic glory that is "OK Computer" and follow it up "The Bends" and i promise you'll be a fan. Or, i like to think that i can promise you'll be a fan. :DI have heard both...or should I say suffered through both. Just flat out painful to listen to, IMO, especially his voice.
The only Radiohead song I even remotely like is 'Creep' and it gets old fast.
Not my cup of tea I guess.

Slicker
11-11-2004, 09:43 PM
You mean MTV actually played music videos?JK

I only remember seeing the video for One once and that was at about 1:00am during Headbangers Ball which was a great show.

InsaneJediGirl
11-11-2004, 09:48 PM
John Meyer- For all the reasons listed
Shaina Twain-More annoying pop wannabe than country
Linkin Park-Rap wannabes
Michael/Janet Jackson - Both have no talent in my opinion
Korn/Pappa Roach - Two of the same its seems
Any 'American Idol' winner-Has any one of them done anything special?I thought not

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2004, 09:48 PM
you criticize Thom's voice, but you dig Korn, where the guy screams and shouts for 70 minutes? I find it hard to believe that you could "suffer" through some Radiohead albums, especially "The Bends" where Thom's vocals (see "Fake Plastic Trees" and "High and Dry") and how he carries the vocals against Jonathan davis who shouts for his tunes? Seems like my definition of vocals means to sing whereas another definition is to shout and yell. :D

Rocketboy
11-11-2004, 10:09 PM
you criticize Thom's voice, but you dig Korn, where the guy screams and shouts for 70 minutes? I find it hard to believe that you could "suffer" through some Radiohead albums, especially "The Bends" where Thom's vocals (see "Fake Plastic Trees" and "High and Dry") and how he carries the vocals against Jonathan davis who shouts for his tunes? Seems like my definition of vocals means to sing whereas another definition is to shout and yell. :D
I was into Korn. Not anymore. When I did really like them, I was like 17 or 18 and that kind of dark and angry music appealed to me.
I grew out of Nu-metal years ago.

James Boba Fettfield
11-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Seems like my definition of vocals means to sing whereas another definition is to shout and yell. :D

You just brought up how I feel about a lot of metal these days. There is a lot of beautiful metal being produced right now that I feel is hindered by the cookie monster vocals accompanying it. If I wanted cookie monster, I'd watch Sesame Street!

Back on point, so much blasphemy in here. What next, attacking Merle Haggard and Maiden or...or...or wait, this is about overblown and overrated bands. You know, those bands all over the popular music mags and all over the television.

Looking back on what's been popular...my biggest complaint has always been Dave Matthews Band. I remember when that song where he kept saying "crash into me" or something like that was real popular. Oh, how I loathed those times. I could never stand DMB...never ever! I never got what people were hearing that made it great.

Now I am going to go with Toby Keith. Toby "one of the good ol' boys" Keith. Yeah, he's a country music outlaw. Shut up, Toby. Take a look at Waylon, then come back and say you're an outlaw.

The Misfits. Maybe not so much now, but there was a period where it seemed they were going to reach some new heights in mainstream popularity. I said it before, and I'll say it again, the only Misfits music I can listen is when it's being filtered through Hetfield and company. The Misfits playing it themselves... :dead: Danzig solo is cool, though.

And Motorhead...man do they suck. Who is this Lemmy guy I'm always hearing about, he's dumb. In all seriousness, Motorhead is great. Way underrated in the mainstream. Anyone calling themselves a fan of music at all should have to experience the musical delights of Motorhead.

evenflow
11-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Metallica, all those garage rock bands

Anyone who said Tool or APC is insane.

2-1B
11-13-2004, 12:47 AM
John Mayer - I agree, very overrated. Downright irritating to me. :D

Radiohead - terrible, just terrible. Might as well listen to Dave Matthews, Linkin Park, or any other band I hate. :crazed:

Metallica - I still have to love those Metallicats, even though I am up and down with some recent material . . . but there is still a wealth of good stuff coming from them.

KoRn - yeah, I was in high school when their first record came out, I checked it out before ever hearing about them and before that got big - and let me tell you, I disliked it then and I dislike it now. No need to beat a dead horse.

Motorhead - indeed, give Lemmy his due - He was editor of the school magazine ! ! !
(Airheads reference ;) )

Hey JBF, if you want to discuss beautiful metal, I'll point you toward King Diamond's The Puppet Master released just last year. BEAUTIFUL record, just beautiful.

Hey Chux, I believe Springsteen is on that Zevon tribute because Bruce cut a track with Warren on his last album before he died. So I think there is a connection for that reason. :)

dr_evazan22
11-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Ween

Ween!

That song "Push The Little Daisy's" was great! But that is the only thing I've heardr from them, and that was about 10 years ago. I didn't know they were rated, nevermind over-rated.

Great av JMG. I'm looking forward to their new album in a week or so.

evenflow
11-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Motorhead - indeed, give Lemmy his due - He was editor of the school magazine ! ! !
(Airheads reference ;) )

:)
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbowars
11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Nirvana (as my old guitar teacher said, "Cobain was better with a shotgun than he was with a guitarYour Teacher is an idiot. Love killed Cobain.

Exhaust Port
11-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Man, it seems that every year we get another overrated crap band that is touted as the next big thing. I agree with most here so far but not with grouping Metallica in with this group. Just because you don't like an album or 2 doesn't erase a bands influence or importance to the music scene. Being overrated means that a bands influence or importance is greatly misproportioned to their actual place in music. I really only think that it can be found in short lived bands, flashes in the pan if you will.

Korn is one of those bands in my opinion. When they first came out their sound was a new mix of an old routine and was a breath of fresh air to the metal scene. Next thing you know they are being talked about as if they invented the genre or outstanding singers/musicians/songwriters. Wha??? Korn came out with more albums which were nothing more than a variation on the debut album, nothing really that evolutionary or important. Yet, the praise continued and even grew in some circles with nothing really new to discover.

The success was a flash in the music pan and that was about it. Their first album was their best in my opinion and nothing to be ashamed of but are they really these music gods? Heck no! Will the music scene in 5 years been some how altered by the musicianship or writing of Korn? No, but some seem to rate their importance as such (there for they are overrated).

For those that bash Metallica would you also bash Black Sabbath, the godfather of metal?? If not, have you listened to the last 4-5 Black Sabbath albums? Ugh, mostly pieces of crap. There are a few gems in there but they are few and far between.

Does that deminish the importance of Black Sabbath? Heck no!! That band is incredibly underrated if you ask me. Plus even though Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were apart of the crap Black Sabbath years they also turned out some killer solo material that really showcases their importance and true ability.

A few bands that I think are overrated...

Korn
Linkin Park
Nirvana
Kid Rock
Nickelback

Mad Slanted Powers
11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Some of the bands mentioned here that I actually like:

Radiohead - I have all their albums. Some of it I don't get into as much, but I'll agree that OK Computer and The Bends are great.

The White Stripes - I had heard and read about them but hadn't actually heard them. Then I heard "Fell in Love With a Girl" and thought that song rocked. However, I kind of lumped them in with the Hives and Vines pile. I still like that music, but I figured The White Stripes were just one of many of the current fad. Then I heard stuff from their first two albums on an internet radio station and realized there was more to them.

Nirvana - I'm a bit biased here being from Washington State. I was in college at the time Nirvana hit it big and I liked their sound. A refreshing change from the pop music of the day. Plus it was cool to have the spotlight on my home state. Love them or hate them, they were significant in bringing attention to "alternative" music. Of course, there would be no Nirvana without the Pixies. The Pixies should get more attention. Sure they get lots of critical acclaim, but how often do you hear the Pixies on the radio? Or Frank Black? His early solo stuff was great.

I think someone also mentioned Smashing Pumpkins as well. They are one of my favorites, though not as much after Mellon Collie. That album had lots of great songs, but overall was probably a bit too long and ambitious. Thus was not quite the complete album that Siamese Dream was.

Overall, I don't really get caught up in how popular something is or not. If it sounds good to me, I'll enjoy it. A couple months ago, I had an opportunity to listen to American Top 40. I hardly recognized any of the stuff on there. It started off all right. I think #39 and #40 were Modest Mouse and Nickelback. I'm not a big fan of Nickelback, but they rock pretty well. I can tolerate them. I don't understand why they are so hated. I first heard Modest Mouse a lot on that same internet station I heard The White Stripes. I've come to like their stuff fairly well. The rest of the top 40 then degenerated in to mostly slow sappy pop or some rap music that I didn't much care for. I actually like some rap music, but much of what I see and hear today doesn't do anything for me. Amazingly, one of the bright spots of the countdown for me was Avril Lavigne. I know she seems to get a lot of criticism too, so imagine a countdown where her song is one of the best.

I think the Public Enemy song "Caught, Can I Get A Witness" sums up my feelings pretty well - "You singers are spineless as you sing your senseless songs to the mindless, your general subject love is minimal, it's sex for profit".

Exhaust Port
11-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Nirvana - .....

Love them or hate them, they were significant in bringing attention to "alternative" music. Of course, there would be no Nirvana without the Pixies. The Pixies should get more attention. Sure they get lots of critical acclaim, but how often do you hear the Pixies on the radio?

I think you hit on the big issue with certain bands and Nirvana is a perfect example. Nirvana is important for bringing attention to Alternative music, more importantly the Seattle music scene. That's it, nothing more. Being an attention magnet that opens up the public awareness of a much larger music culture doesn't give that band more musical merit, it just makes them popular.

Like is often said, you remember your first, it's the Law of Primacy. Nirvana was the first of the "new" Seattle bands to hit the air waves and that stuck in everyone's mind. Their first album was crap but they really came up with some great material for Nevermind. After that they had a few gems but never recaptured the complete album success that Nevermind had. The problem was that folks couldn't shake the Nirvana connection with the Seattle/Alternative music scene which seemed to inflate their overall importance to the national music scene. Over and over again since then folks have touted Nirvana's amazing songwriting/musicianship/etc. but never really bothered to think for a minute if that was true. It just has always seemed to be the right thing to say when reviewing the music industry over the last 20 years.

The Beatles are another band that had inflated initial success thanks to being "the first." Unlike Nirvana though, the Beatles were able to carry themselves musically well after the British Invasion bubble had burst. Nirvana had collapsed even before the Seattle/Alternative music scene was dead. I remember critics praising Nirvana 1 year after Nevermind came out as if they were going to be music legends. One year after? It has always seemed that the music industry is quick to label a few ambassadors of a new sound as "legends" or something similar right off the bat to help prop up the newly forming genre.

For that reason I believe the Nirvana is overblown/overrated. I haven't listened to the Pixies so I can't vouch for their music (sorry posty333 :) ) so I give my vote for influential Seattle band to MotherLove Bone.

TheDarthVader
11-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Your Teacher is an idiot. Love killed Cobain.

Right on man. Cobain didn't kill himself. Why would he shoot himself with his right hand? It was a fact that Kurt was left handed. It doesn't make sense.

In defense of Nirvana: Exhaust Port, you don't know what you're talking about. I can't even name one song by the Pixies. Who are they? I can name about 40 songs by Nirvana. In a time when pop ruled the charts, Nirvana came in and changed the sound. Think about how difficult that is! Let's say country music is number one. Let's see you come with a BRAND NEW form of music to knock it off all of the charts. I doubt it would be as easy as you are claiming. Nevermind...their only good album? Ha! I know you don't listen to Nirvana now. Incesticide is a great album...polly, dive, sliver, molly's lips (cover song), and aneurysm. In Utero is a great album too...heart shaped box, all apologies, serve the servants, rape me, pennyroyal tea, and dumb. Are you kidding me? His lyrics are witty and paint a nice picture of abstract ideas. Nirvana definitely was responsible for popularizing "punk or alternative" rock. I don't care that PJ and AIC followed. That doesn't matter. What matters is Nirvana was first. To make that point, does it really matter who climbed Mt. Everest second? NO. There is a plaque up there that names only the FIRST person to have ever climbed Mt. Everest. So there is not much room for second place. Sorry.

B.
TDV

Exhaust Port
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
In defense of Nirvana: Exhaust Port, you don't know what you're talking about. I can't even name one song by the Pixies. Who are they? I can name about 40 songs by Nirvana.

Being that you are a Nirvana fan it wouldn't suprise me that you can name 40 of their songs. Congradulations! :rolleyes: Most modern metal fans would be lucky to name 5 Black Sabbath songs yet they probably understand the roll they played in the evolution of Metal.

As I said, I don't know the Pixies so posty333 can fill you in. Again, I recommend you listen to MotherLove Bone. It's founding members went on to form some of the best Seattle bands. Actually before MLB was the Original Seattle band, Green River. They started the movement as well as helped establish SubPop Records. Ever heard of SubPop? Most likely you haven't heard of either Green River, MLB or the bands that formed after it so you'll probably dismiss them. :rolleyes:

In a time when pop ruled the charts, Nirvana came in and changed the sound. Think about how difficult that is! Let's say country music is number one. Let's see you come with a BRAND NEW form of music to knock it off all of the charts. I doubt it would be as easy as you are claiming.

Nirvana didn't create Grunge music and in fact wasn't the first band of the genre to release an album at that time. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and others all came out about the same time. Nirvana was the first of the group to have a hit single. Pearl Jam: Ten went on to sell more albums that Nirvana after the Grunge band popularity took off.

Again, folks seem to think that Nirvana reinvented the music wheel when in fact they were neither the originator nor the only band to explode onto the music scene in 1991. Nirvana ended up being the first to score a single in the Fall of 1991.

Nevermind...their only good album? Ha! I know you don't listen to Nirvana now.

So what? I own their studio albums of original material as well as Incesticide with Bleach being the exception (I borrowed it back in 1991 from a friend and promptly returned it after listening to it a few times). I'm quite aware of the Nirvana body of work and was alive and well as the "new" Grunge music came onto the scene and evolved for the years to follow.

Incesticide is a great album...polly, dive, sliver, molly's lips (cover song), and aneurysm. In Utero is a great album too...heart shaped box, all apologies, serve the servants, rape me, pennyroyal tea, and dumb. Are you kidding me? His lyrics are witty and paint a nice picture of abstract ideas.

You may believe that they are great albums but that doesn't imply importance to the evolution of modern music. There are plenty of albums that I like that are seen as crap among music peers but I'm smart enough to realize that the bands I like aren't "great". You may see In Utero as a great album and it may very well be but it's a great Nirvana album, not necessarily an important album in music history.

Nirvana definitely was responsible for popularizing "punk or alternative" rock.

New Kids on the Block are responsible for popularizing the modern "boy band". Music Gods you say?

More albums were sold by Pearl Jam than Nirvana which would imply that Pearl Jam had a greater reach on spreading the grunge sound.

What matters is Nirvana was first. To make that point, does it really matter who climbed Mt. Everest second? NO. There is a plaque up there that names only the FIRST person to have ever climbed Mt. Everest. So there is not much room for second place. Sorry.

Nirvana wasn't the first grunge band, only the first to have a hit. I think you actually need to do some research on the history of the music genre that you so proudly triumph.

Being the first doesn't imply greatness when it comes to such things as music or art. That's like saying that the Green Bay Packers are the best football team because they won the first Super Bowl and ignoring the 1972 Dolphins.

What did more for modern transportation, the first transatlantic crossing in a ship by a Viking or the crossing in an airplane? Also Limburgh wasn't the first to cross the Atlantic either, he was just the first to do it non-stop. So even though he wasn't the first to cross his accomplishment carried more weight.

mabudonicus
11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
And Motorhead...man do they suck. Who is this Lemmy guy I'm always hearing about, he's dumb.
I think I smell a very stern lesson coming on.....*reaches for crotch-bat*

In all seriousness, Motorhead is great. Way underrated in the mainstream. Anyone calling themselves a fan of music at all should have to experience the musical delights of Motorhead.

:beard: ;)

LMAO so far this list is pretty good, I'd agree with much of what is posted here

ExP- good point about Sabbath's last few albums... I actually saw them on the tour for some POS which escaped from them in the late 90's, they were donwright awful, only Tony Iommi was left from the originals IIRC- I too love the earlier metallica stuff, but really you could hear the absence of Cliff starting with ...And Justice, and with the "black album" it was almost palpable, the hole his death made in 'em

I personally think that Lenny Kravitz is quote overhyped- his talent can't be denied, but still, something about his music just sucks, IMHO

Our Lady Peace- from the live stuff I've heard they can't even handle playing stripped-down covers of their own freaking songs and that "Ahyeeeeeeeee" idiotic pseudo-yodel the vocalist seems bent on hitting every 2 measures or so is just plain silly

CREED- totally overblown, the affected vocals are just plain embarrassing to listen to... it didn't sadden me at all when they said "Gubbahhhhhhhhhhyeee-uh"..... that big swelling sound is exactly the same thing LIVE was doing just as badly but more prolifically (I think I hear KH, Chux and maybe a few others... better run :beard: )

TheDarthVader
11-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Exhaust Port, sounds like just because you don't like Nirvana you ignore their place in music history. You want to discount them and act like they had no impact on rock music. Well, too bad. They have solidified a place in rock history whether you like them or not. And nothing you can say or do can remove them from their position. If we ask 10 experts or music historians or whatever you want to call them (music magazine editors), I am sure at least 9 out of 10 will tell you that, YES, Nirvana has an important place in music history and Nirvana changed music. If you don't believe me, do your research. And I'll do mine...and we'll see what the "experts" of music believe...not just two guys on a Star Wars forum with different opinions. Ask them if they believe Nirvana has a solid place in rock history. And most people who "really know their stuff" about the history of rock music will agree about their relevant spot in history.
I might not like Elvis, but I acknowledge his part in rock. I might not like metallica but I acknowledge thier part in metal, same with BS. Just because I don't like them, I shouldn't blow them off as overrated and "suckie".

El Chuxter
11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
If everyone's sitting down, I'd like to propose that the Doors are tremendously overrated.

The band is great, don't get me wrong. But that lead singer! Jeesh. Jim Morrison's supposed to be this rock god, and he was a good performer. But as a singer he was only above average, and I'll never understand what sort of crack rock people have to smoke to think he's a great poet.

I like 'em, but you don't get more overrated than that.

Vortex
11-24-2004, 05:57 PM
The Doors...I can see that and I'll second it. I am the lizard king and what the king says goes! Put them on the royal sucky list.

I'd like to toss phil colins in there, phish, and mr. slim shady in there too. Phish was nothing more than an off shoot of the deadheads who didn't want the ride to end. Phil has to call it a career already. I'll give him invisible touch, but nothing more. Will the lip-sync singer please stand up, please stand up.

I used to like the Ramones back in the early 80's but when I hear them now and listen to them, really listen to them...I have no clue what I seen in them.

Usher and Nelly are on the list too.

Yea DMB was over rated and pushed hard...sort of like a new age filler or cross over for the older grunge fans, some angst with a pop flavor. Keep the doc martins, preppy up the flannel shirt...

I'd also like to put snoop dog on the list. I think the man invents a new language every week, *snizzle bazizzle* God bless you that sounded like one heck of a sneez.

Again...anything from the short lived grunge era...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

The lizard king has spoken...off with meatloafs head.

Slicker
11-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Please none of the older folks out there kill me but I'm gonna have to say The Beatles are quite overrated. All of there songs sound the same, IMO.

El Chuxter
11-24-2004, 06:15 PM
I disagree about the Beatles, but I can see where you're coming from.

If Snoop had called it quits after one album, he wouldn't be overrated. Doggystyle was a great album, but I'll give at least 50% of the credit for that one to Dr Dre. As it is, I don't think "overrated" is quite the right word for Snoop. He's completely and totally washed up and doesn't know it yet. It's actually rather pathetic to watch him nowadays.

Rocketboy
11-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Please none of the older folks out there kill me but I'm gonna have to say The Beatles are quite overrated. All of there songs sound the same, IMO.I agree. And while I see how important they were to rock and pop, but all the early stuff all sounds the same.

As for The Doors, mentioned earlier, I think they are either a band you like or don't like. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with most people.
Myself, I love The Doors. I think a lot of their appeal was Jim and his theatrics, not necessarily his lyrics (which I think were good, not great). Plus, their typically dark and moody music was a welcome change from most of the peace and love crap that was going on at the time.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I like the Doors, but I kind of compare them to Nirvana in some ways. Both were around for a short time, made a big impact, the lead singer dies, and then the band rises to legendary status. One advantage for the Doors is that they didn't sound like any other band at the time, and to this day their sound is still unique. After Nirvana, there were tons of bands that sounded like them. I still like both bands though.

I have the Mother Love Bone CD. I really like the songs "This is Shangrila", "Stardog Champion", "Holly Roller", "Bone China", "Man of Golden Words" (from where we get the lyric "Temple of the Dog"), and "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns". The rest of the album didn't do much for me.

Also this past year, I got Green River - Dry as a Bone/Rehab Doll. I listened once or twice and I didn't get into it much. I know I liked a couple songs at least though. But of course, that band led to Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, and eventually Pearl Jam.

Ramones - I know a lot of people who hate the current pop punk bands but will hold up the Ramones as being more of a true punk band. However, their music actually had a bit of a pop sound to it as well. But even in the early 80's, some punks seemed to have already grown weary of them. Check out the lyrics to "Rock & Roll Bull[expletive deleted]" by Government Issue - "I used to listen to the Clash but now they suck like all the trash, the Ramones used to be a hit but now they're just a pile of [expletive deleted]". This was a song from 1981. I like the Ramones, though I've not really heard more than a few songs.

I have a song from each Pixies album in my internet station's playlist. My favorite Pixies album is probably Surfer Rosa. Death to the Pixies is a decent compilation with some liner notes by the guy that recorded their first album. He does a good job of explaining the importance of the Pixies.

Exhaust Port
11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
ExP- good point about Sabbath's last few albums... I actually saw them on the tour for some POS which escaped from them in the late 90's, they were donwright awful, only Tony Iommi was left from the originals IIRC-

Well you and I must have been one of the few ticket sales they had. :) DeHumanizer was one of the Dio era tours they had that I attended. There were a few others but I've blocked them out of my mind. :) Oh, one was called Dehumanizer or something with Tony Martin as the lead singer. Man, did that suck. :D

Exhaust Port, sounds like just because you don't like Nirvana you ignore their place in music history. You want to discount them and act like they had no impact on rock music.

I never said that I didn't like Nirvana especially since Nevermind came out during a very exciting time in my life so the music is full of memories, but that's a personal note.

I also never said they didn't have an impact on rock music. This thread is about overrated or overblown acts. Nirvana's place in music history is overrated IMHO. There are plenty of articles out there that claim that Kurt was the second coming of Christ or something, especially after he killed himself. It's almost his legend grew as well as the perceived impact they had on the course of music.

Why was Nirvana so influencial? They weren't the first grunge band. They didn't have the most album sales. They were the first to have a single but that doesn't equate greatness. As posty333 said, and I came to the same conclusion...

I like the Doors, but I kind of compare them to Nirvana in some ways. Both were around for a short time, made a big impact, the lead singer dies, and then the band rises to legendary status.

That's just about it right there. Look where the Doors are now compared to even a 2 decades ago. I remember the same crap being said about Jim Morrison in the 70's. Now with another 20 years passed I find less people willing to put Jim on the same pedestal now. Time has cleared the issue of emotion and folks are more likely to look at the works alone.

I also agree that even now The Doors haven't had another band recapture their sound. Nirvana was among many other grunge bands to hit the scene. We have also seen the grunge music spawn other bands in the years to follow. <cough>Godsmack<cough>

mabudonicus
11-26-2004, 10:42 AM
ExP- funny story, MOTORHEAD was opening for them one the tour I saw (and yes, Tony Martin was the "lead singer") and my buddies got lost one the way... they showed up just after "Brown Sabbath" took the stage and were intensely disappointed, to say the least... we even invented a new style of \m/ to throw that night, maybe I'll post a pic, it is easier to show than to explain ;)

And just a not about the doors- Mike Nelso (of MST3K fame) wrote about them in his book nad summed it all up by saying how he couldn't get how kids could get so "into" an act whos vocalist sounds like their father singing in the shower....

I would second the Beatles, too (or is that "third"???)
And the Stones, too, they haven't really made a listenable song since the early 70's or somehitng like that, and their current performance, from what I've seen, looks like a Vegas show only tickets cost hundreds of dollars

I would also mention Peter Frampton, but he isn't really rated much at all anymore

Rocketboy
11-26-2004, 11:04 AM
The Rolling Stone 500 Greatest songs of all time (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=single2&rnd=1101357487350&has-player=unknown).

The Beatles have 6 songs in the top 30. SIX FREAKIN' SONGS!
Talk about overblown and overrated. No band is that good.
*sigh*
I wish Rolling Stone would remove their heads from The Beatles butt...

Mad Slanted Powers
11-26-2004, 06:39 PM
The Rolling Stone 500 Greatest songs of all time (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=single2&rnd=1101357487350&has-player=unknown).

The Beatles have 6 songs in the top 30. SIX FREAKIN' SONGS!
Talk about overblown and overrated. No band is that good.
*sigh*
I wish Rolling Stone would remove their heads from The Beatles butt...

Well, the Beatles did have the top 5 slots on the Billboard chart at one time. No one has ever come close to that. Outkast had the top two, but that's still not close to what the Beatles accomplished.

Beatlemania may have been a lot of hype, since from footage I've seen, the girls are screaming so loud and passing out, I doubt they even heard the music. However, those early tunes were very good pop tunes that infused some new energy into the music scene. Then they experimented more with their later stuff and still were able to come up with some great tunes. Plus, there is the influence they had on so many other musicians. Then they went on to have successful solo careers. Even Ringo had a few hits.

Exhaust Port
11-26-2004, 07:08 PM
ExP- funny story, MOTORHEAD was opening for them one the tour I saw (and yes, Tony Martin was the "lead singer") and my buddies got lost one the way... they showed up just after "Brown Sabbath" took the stage and were intensely disappointed, to say the least... we even invented a new style of \m/ to throw that night, maybe I'll post a pic, it is easier to show than to explain ;)

I look forward to it. :)

I realized that I listed Dehumanizer twice in my previous post. I meant to say that I saw Dio on the Dehumanizer tour and Tony Martin on Cross Purposes. I also have this nagging feeling that there was 1 or 2 other "Brown Sabbath" (I like that name mabudon) tours in there too.

I remember Motorhead opening up for them as well. That is the only time I've seen Motorhead live and it was a pretty entertaining show. I think that Suicidal Tendancies was also on that bill too. Do you remember who the other act was?