PDA

View Full Version : Drawn Together

El Chuxter
11-11-2004, 02:28 PM
This show started weak with a mediocre premiere, but in the following episodes has become one of the high points of my TV viewing.

Eight cartoon characters (obviously based on Betty Boop, Superman, Josie from the *****cats, a Disney princess, Spongebob Squarepants, Pikachu, Link from the Zelda games, and a pig that I think is supposed to be Cartman) live together in the first animated reality show.

This comes on later than South Park, and with good reason. I don't think even Trey and Matt have attempted some of the things that have been done on Drawn Together.

Anyone else seen this yet?

Edit: Okay, the name of one of the characters isn't liked by the autocensor, so I'll say instead "Josie from a cartoon band famous for wearing long tails and ears for hats." ;)

JediTricks
11-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I liked the premise, but the first ep was a major let-down and it's been scraping bottom ever since with only a few slightly funny moments strewn in, many of which don't even fit with the theme of a Real World-type show. Last night with the Vietnamese children combining into a giant robot, that was pretty funny, but the rest was just lame. The worst part for me is that I wanted to like Ling Ling - the Pikachu ripoff - and especially Wooldoor Sockbat - the Spongebob ripoff - but they just don't really deliver on the parody there, though I did laugh last week when Wooldoor was reenacting the ANH garbage masher scene, the second bit from that specifically.

I dunno, it just seems like they could have really gone somewhere unique and hilarious but instead decided to go with cheap sex and bodily function and racist jokes. I don't mind offensive, I like offensive most of the time, but this is just offensively lame.

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Dude, I saw this show. I couldnt stop laughing. Octopussiour.........I still laugh at that.

JediTricks
11-13-2004, 03:17 AM
That bit where they go back to Wooldoor in there and he goes "Threepio? Threepio!" in his best Spongebob-type voice had me rolling!

scruffziller
11-16-2004, 09:16 AM
The Xandir "coming out" ep was really gross, but at the same time it was hilarious. WHART HAPPENS IN BIZZARO WORLD.....STAYS IN BIZZARO WORLD!!!!:D

Kidhuman
11-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Ok, the more I watch this show the funnier it gets. Saturday night from 11-1 they are playing all 4 episodes of this.

hango fett
11-26-2004, 01:33 PM
i love this show! i was LOL as well when they reenacted the trash compactor bit! i didn't know wooldoor was supposed to be a spongebob rip off.....huh...
HF

Kidhuman
11-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I couldnt stop laughing when Toot was doing the Jabba the Hutt thing and scopped Han SOlo into an ice cream cone.

Kidhuman
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Just read COmedy Central ordered a second season of this show. Awesome.

scruffziller
12-02-2004, 11:18 AM
i love this show! i was LOL as well when they reenacted the trash compactor bit! i didn't know wooldoor was supposed to be a spongebob rip off.....huh...
HF
Wooldoor looks kinda like(to me) a cross between SpongeBob and a rejected Ren & Stimpy charachter.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
I watched this show for the first time last night and felt it was kind of lame. Good premise, but nothing really funny to make the show stand out for me. I do think the mix of characters is OK. Let me see if I have this right: one guy is supposed to be Superman/buff action hero, there's a ren/stimpy dude, Betty Boop, a chick that looks like the Little Mermaid, the video game guy that looks like Link from Zelda, the Pikachu thingy, and a pig (Porky?) voiced by Adam Corolla.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 12:07 PM
You about got it Man Can. The only thing is Wooldor SOckbat is a SpongBob rip off. Plus you missed Foxy Brown. SHe is a Josie and The *****cats/Scooby Doo Rip off. SHe is a mystery solving musician.

El Chuxter
12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
You didn't like it last night? I thought it was the single most disturbing, offensive, wrong thirty minutes in television history (even airing immediately after the previous winner of this title for a whole half-hour, the Paris Hilton episode of South Park).

And I nearly wet my pants more times than I care to count!

BTW:

Toot = Betty Boop
Foxy Love = Josie from Josie and the Pu$$ycats (autocensor just hates that one ;))
Xandir = Link
Wooldoor Sockbat = Spongebob Squarepants
Ling-Ling = Pikachu
Captain Hero = Superman
Spanky Ham = never quite figured this one out. He's an "internet download" but to me seems closest to Eric Cartman.

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Dude you keep forgetting Clara, who I guess is the fairy tale princess

El Chuxter
12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Jeez, how did I forget her? And twice in one day! (At least the second time, I remembered Spanky's name! :))

I think Clara's supposed to be all the Disney Princesses (except Mulan and Kida, who would whomp the arses of the others combined and who Disney usually don't like to acknowledge) rolled into one, with a healthy dose of snobby rich racist rolled in.

I don't know about everyone else (though I guess I speak for you, too, KH), but I want action figures of this gang already*! And a DVD set! (Actually, lots of DVD sets, to go with the many, many seasons I hope this will run.)

In all actuality, if we get action figures, there will probably be resculpts of Captain Hero for every costume change he's had, an uber-rare "octopussoir" variant of Clara, and a super-duper-mega-with-extra-cheese rare chase figure of Bleah or however you spell it. And we'll never get Toot and have to scourge eBay for Wooldoor, who will be released in extremely limited quantities in the final wave that never actually ends up in any stores. On the bright side, there will be one major bargain: Spanky and Ling-Ling can come in one pack for the same low low price as the others: $19.99! :)

Kidhuman
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Oh hell yeah I want figures of this bunch. There is a season wo, as Com Central has ordered it, but I only hope it lives up to this season.

Action Features for the figures:

Lickable Ling Ling: Squeeze him and his stuff comes out to get you buzzed.

Suicide Xandir : speaks for itself.

The ultra rare CLara/Octopussior would be great. The Octopussiour(Am I the only one that laughs at that name??) can come out like Alien.

Captain Hero: Many different outfits and a special Bazarro Captian Hero

12" Wooldor: Opens up and has all types of Accessories

Purging Toot: Squeeze her and she pukes. Comes w/ Vomit Ling Ling

Spanky: Whipping action(from the sneaker epsidoe)

Foxy: comes with Comm Tech Chip with various sayings

Rocketboy
12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
I've caught bits and pieces of this show a few times. I always end up changing it though. Not really that good I thought. I'm actually surprised it was picked up for another season.

I think it would have been better if they weren't parodies, but the real characters. I'm sure that would have been impossible because the companies would never let their characters be used in that way.
Maybe if the same premise were on Adult Swim - sort of an Adult Swim dream team type of show. Brak, Space Ghost, Captain Murphy, Master Shake, Birdman, ect.

Slicker
12-02-2004, 09:57 PM
I watched a little bit for the first time tonight on KH's advice. It was pretty funny and they definitely try to push the limits. I'll for surely try and watch it next time it's on.

El Chuxter
01-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't know if this is recent (I haven't noticed it before today), but go to http://www.comedycentral.com now and read the applications for all the housemates. Peeing your pants is guaranteed.

If you could fight one person from the past up until the present, who would it be and why?

Ling-Ling always want to battle fiercest warrior who ever live, William Howard Taft. He may have been fat, but was quick like a cat.

Kidhuman
02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I wish they would show the last episode already. Its been too long waiting for that last one. 2 weeks from tonight it should be on.

Lord Malakite
02-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Clara = Disney Princesses
Toot = Betty Boop
Foxy Love = Josie from Josie and the Pu$$ycats (autocensor just hates that one ;))
Xandir = Link
Wooldoor Sockbat = Spongebob Squarepants
Ling-Ling = Pikachu
Captain Hero = Superman
Spanky Ham = never quite figured this one out. He's an "internet download" but to me seems closest to Eric Cartman.
I think Clara is meant to parody Disney's Little Mermaid too, although she does have the snobbishness of all the princesses roled into one ;). I think Spanky Ham is supposed to be a parody of Oolong. Oolong is the shape-shifting pig character from the anime cartoon series of Dragonball (Drangonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball GT).

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Come on, Ariel falls under the Disney princess category.

El Chuxter
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the only female lead characters Disney doesn't include under its "Disney Princesses" label are Mulan and Kida. . . because they know either one of them would kick the poop out of the others. :)

Lord Malakite
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Come on, Ariel falls under the Disney princess category.
Never said she didn't. I just think if you look at all of Disney princesses as a whole, Ariel is the one who she is drawn to look like specifically. ;)

El Chuxter
09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
<fleep fleep fleep fleep>

Not digging this up for the sake of digging up an old thread, but what's going on with this show?

I'd heard quite a while ago that a second season was confirmed, but I ain't heard nothing since. I know it's animated, but this is a pretty long wait for one of those short Comedy Central seasons.

Also, was the episode with Bucky Buck the finale, or was there one episode afterward that took place on the desert island? I figured that was leaving it open for a second season, but I've heard (admittedly unreliable) rumors that there was one more episode that I somehow missed.

Finally, why in the name of all that's good and holy can I walk into any store and buy the entire run of that craptacular piece of Spanky Ham pig terd Father of the Pride on DVD, and I've heard nothing of a DVD release for this masterpiece?

Kidhuman
09-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I am the one who posted about a second season. I never saw any episode after they crashed. There was supposed to be one more. I searched comedy central every day for the next episode and never saw it listed. Unless they pulled a fast one and showed it under another episodes info, it never came out. I want the season on DVD. I think thats the only way to get that missing show.

I never heard of Spanky Hamm's solo project, but I would peep it because he is damn funny.

El Chuxter
09-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I never heard of Spanky Hamm's solo project, but I would peep it because he is damn funny.

It was just a bad joke about SSG standby expression "amazing pig terd" being used in reference to the immensely unfunny Father of the Pride, available now on DVD, and coming soon in large numbers to the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

Kidhuman
09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Damn you Chux...I was looking foward to it. At least you didnt let me embarrass myself in WM looking for it.

JediTricks
09-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Chux, it's "Bucky Bucks", not "Buck", the joke is that he's a parody of Richie Rich (and Donald Trump). It wouldn't make as much sense if he were "Bucky Buck".

The ep with Bucky Bucks was the last ep of that first season, there was no ep after that.

Season 1 DVD date is Oct 4th. Season 2 starts Oct 19th. When the show will stop sucking though is anybody's guess. :p

Rogue II
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, that's good news. I might have to pick up that DVD.

Yet this is the only reality show I can watch.

I thought Wooldoor Sockbat was more of a SpongeBob Squarepants/Stimpy combo. And, for the record, I have a 4 year old daughter. The Little Mermaid is considered a Disney Princess. Her father was a King for cryin' out loud. Just walk down one of those pink colored aisles at Target, Walmart, or TRU, and you'll see Ariel on the Disney Princess stuff.

Sometimes, I hate my life.:cry:

JediTricks
09-12-2005, 08:58 PM
That's true, and Ariel is also a princess because at the end she marries a prince, right?

Wooldoor Sockbat is purely Spongebob IMO.

Rogue II
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM
To me, Wooldoor Sockbat seems to have the personality of Spongebob and the some of physical humor of Stimpy. Mostly the way he pulls crazy stuff out of his...uh...pocket. It has been a while since I've been able to watch Ren & Stimpy, but I thought Stimpy could do that. Anyway, there are similarities between Spongebob and Stimpy as well.

Kidhuman
09-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Wooldoor was Spongebob
Xander wass Link
Captain Hero wass Superman
Princess was Ariel
Foxy was Josie and the ***** Cats with a millenium attittude
Ling Ling was Pikachu
Toot was Betty Boop
Spanky was an Internet DL.

Season 1 coming soon on DVD and a new season on Oct. 4th. Sounds good to me.

El Chuxter
10-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Well, the DVD's out, but I've not got it yet. With gas so ridiculously high and climbing, we've been consolidating trips into civilization, so it likely will be a couple of days yet.

I noticed on amazon.com that several people mentioned a "lost" episode, which never aired because it spoofed Christopher Reeve and would've been broadcast around the time of his death, and wasn't included on the DVD (presumably for the same reason). Anyone seen this or know where it can be found?

JediTricks
10-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Sounds like another hoax.

Comedy Central has started airing ads for the upcoming second season, they show the cast on an island, but other ads also show the cast back in the house so my guess is the island is just a gag for the first ep.

Kidhuman
10-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Is it the same characters?

JediTricks
10-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes, the ads show the same characters, most memorable for me is Xander getting killed by a Mortal Kombat-style video game character (with that sort of art different from the regular show art). There's a 40-second preview of the season premiere on the Comedy Central website, it's the group crashing in the helicopter.

El Chuxter
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Hoax or not, everything indicates eight episodes and there are only seven on the DVDs. There's easily enough space on Disc 2 to lead me to believe it might be hiding somewhere there, but I've neither found it or anything online about it.

One major drawback to these episodes on DVD: they're uncensored. Sure, that sounds good, and there are some funny extended gags (the "Gay Test" bit is much longer), and the language doesn't bother me, but most of the blurs are gone! I really don't need to see the "funny little fellow" or watch Toot flashing Xandir repeatedly. :speech:

Rogue II
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
One major drawback to these episodes on DVD: they're uncensored. Sure, that sounds good, and there are some funny extended gags (the "Gay Test" bit is much longer), and the language doesn't bother me, but most of the blurs are gone! I really don't need to see the "funny little fellow" or watch Toot flashing Xandir repeatedly. :speech:

I saw the DVD when I was at Target this weekend and was wondering about that. From what I read on Amazon, Season 1 & 2 of The Man Show claimed to be "uncensored" but it still blurred out certain parts of the Juggies. Anyway, it seemed like Drawn Together gave the blur machine a work out in some episodes, so when it read "uncensored" I figured it only added the language. I don't really want to see Toot or the One Eyed Wiggling Welshman, but I'll probably get the DVD anyway...eventually.

JediTricks
10-20-2005, 08:14 PM
So, what did you guys think of last night's new ep? To me, it felt like the same ol', same ol', but after that weak South Park season premiere, it was clearly the funnier of the 2 shows which is saying quite a bit. Honestly, I think they should have gotten a new cast, or at least a partial new cast, to make it more like a reality show instead of a sitcom the way it now feels.

El Chuxter
10-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Last season, they wasted an entire episode setting things up. This season, it seems like they wasted an entire episode getting the gang back in the house. Overall, it was pretty disappointing. Next week's looks like it'll be better.

Scorpion's cameo was hilarious, though obvious.

El Chuxter
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
The show's been picking up, as I expected.

And it's been picked up as well, for a third season:

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051109/tv_nm/cable_dc;_ylt=AnkdWHZ3Glk..v0acnyb.KJxFb8C;_ylu=X3 oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--)

scruffziller
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
My favorite parts of the show are the charachter cameos. One of the things that happened a couple eps ago that was so wrong, but hilarious. The guy with the 6 arms.:D Those of you who saw the eps know what I am talking about.

El Chuxter
11-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Jeez, three funny Star Wars refs in one episode, and it looks like another next week!

JimJamBonds
11-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I saw a preview where a lightsaber is used to light a smoke, did anybody see the episode?

El Chuxter
11-14-2005, 12:04 AM
I believe that's this week's ep, which airs Wednesday. And, uh, I think the use of the lightsaber was a bit more adult-oriented than lighting a cigarette (or anything else I can bring up here, for that matter). :beard:

JimJamBonds
11-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I believe that's this week's ep, which airs Wednesday. And, uh, I think the use of the lightsaber was a bit more adult-oriented than lighting a cigarette (or anything else I can bring up here, for that matter). :beard:

All the preview showed was its use in lighting a :smoker:.

El Chuxter
11-15-2005, 12:19 AM
She lights up, and then does something that makes it apparent that her "saber" has more uses. :eek::beard:

JediTricks
11-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it was way inappropriate for this board.

JimJamBonds
11-15-2005, 11:37 PM
She lights up, and then does something that makes it apparent that her "saber" has more uses. :eek::beard:

Shouldn't the smoke have been saved for later? :D

JediTricks
11-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Shouldn't the smoke have been saved for later? :D
It was, I just watched the clip of the entire bit, it's WAAAAY worse than what the commercial first showed, NOBODY will be talking about this tomorrow, at least not here because there's NOTHING from that bit that's forums-allowed. :eek:

JimJamBonds
11-16-2005, 11:49 PM
It was, I just watched the clip of the entire bit...

Did you happen to take not of the sound of the saber? From the part that I saw it seemed to be a pretty authentic 'snap hiss' of the saber, either it was lifted/given the ok or they did a heck of a job creating a similar type sound.

El Chuxter
11-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Wow. Uh, wow.

Yep, can't talk about this episode at all. Move along, move along.

I'm surprised they got away with that much, even on Comedy Central.

JediTricks
11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, that whole ep was A) way more outrageously raunchy than most anything they've ever aired before; and B) far and away the funniest episode of the series to date. :D

JimJam, the sound is fairly authentic, there's also a battle sound and I am pretty sure they're all lifted from SW source material - if not, their sound guy is really quite good.

Kidhuman
09-23-2006, 01:01 PM
New season starts Oct. 5th at 10:30&

Jargo
09-23-2006, 01:42 PM
HUZZAH! I ****ing love this show.

El Chuxter
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
So, the season 3 premiere was last night. I missed most of last season (just had trouble staying awake for some reason), but this is the best premiere yet.

I don't know what was funnier: Clara thinking the UPS driver was Satan and embracing evil, Xandir's Lion King spoof, the crazy vehicle they build, or the tortured cartoon characters at Hot Topic (best being Daria with a nail in her eye, calmly blaming it on men).

Rocketboy
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Jezz, they still make that show?

It belongs with American Dad in a list of shows that shouldn't have made it past one season.

El Chuxter
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
C'mon, Rock, how can you not love a show where Superman [or a surrogate thereof] has a "special" son with his sister because she got the sperm at a sperm bank and didn't know it belonged to her brother?

Rocketboy
10-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I think you just answered your own question.

JediTricks
10-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Last night's episode reeked of "more of the same"itude, there were no fresh ideas and they're getting so lazy about the reality show aspect of the series that it's downright pointless now. That's why we don't have reality shows with the same idiots over and over. Anyway, it was no more or less awful than season 2 in general, a few laughs and cheap shots around largely sloppy and lazy material.

El Chuxter
11-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Tonight's was another gem! The origin of Captain Hero's name was classic, as was Ling Ling's description of Asian Heaven and anything about Uncle Benny. But the best was the spoof of Bugs and Daffy. The dead-on (aside from coloration) Bugs repainting Foxxy as that weird flower creature from the classic Daffy 'toon (complete with screwball flag!) and then saying, "Eh, ain't I an ***hole?" almost made me fall out of my chair laughing.

Surprisingly, the Megatron gag was the only one that fell horribly flat.

"We from different cartoons, but we all drawn together. Drawn together? I finally get it!"

JediTricks
11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
You aren't kidding about that Megatron joke bombing, what the hell?!? How did someone get paid to write that joke? It could have gone anywhere and instead it went NOWHERE!